Options

Let's determine the top 50 games of all time.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    So how do we feel about Tie Fighter as opposed to say, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter?

TIE Fighter is better. Not being able to play online really made XvT lame for me. Squadrons is basically modern XvT and it's dead already. Once I finished the single player and saw the state of the multiplayer I was done. If there was more single player I'd be all over it still.

I'd also give ALL the money for a modern 1:1 Tie Fighter remake. Thousands of hours in that game.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    So how do we feel about Tie Fighter as opposed to say, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter?

TIE Fighter is better. Not being able to play online really made XvT lame for me. Squadrons is basically modern XvT and it's dead already. Once I finished the single player and saw the state of the multiplayer I was done. If there was more single player I'd be all over it still.

I'd also give ALL the money for a modern 1:1 Tie Fighter remake. Thousands of hours in that game.

You would think that new maps/campaigns would be a damn money machine for Squadrons, but apparently not.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I liked Portrait of Ruin quite a bit.

Unfortunately, once you beat the game and unlock I forget the name of it, the new mechanic doesn't really work if you are left handed, due to the way it mirrors the controls.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    My favorite and imo the most representative of the series in MH Generations Ultimate, but no way in hell does a pre World Monster Hunter game have a chance of surviving on this list.

It was one of those games I always heard about but never had the system to play it, until World. Then World showed up and I loved it and I sunk hundreds of hours into different builds and just played coop over and over again.

Getting carried by people through stuff then turning around and helping other people was so much fun.

Then add in all the stupid IP crossing like the MegaMan palico outfit? Just a great game.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I can never keep my Castlevania names straight because they're all Music/Noun of Noun/Adjective

Madican on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Honestly shocked that SSX 3 lasted as long as it did, rest in piece. But now:
    Remove: Tony Hawk's Underground
    Add: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Eric Sparrow is one of the greatest villains in video game history, true, and the create-a-trick system is hilarious, but everything you do in that game that isn't skateboarding sucks ass. All the vehicles feel bad and the off the board platforming is terrible, and the secret level is a damn KISS concert.
    1. Baldur’s Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
    2. Burnout 3: Takedown
    3. Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
    4. Celeste
    5. Caesar 3
    6. Chrono Trigger (DS)
    7. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    8. Disco Elysium
    9. Escape Velocity: Nova
    10. Fallout New Vegas
    11. Front Mission 3
    12. Hollow Knight
    13. Katamari Damacy
    14. Kentucky Route Zero
    15. Laser Squad Nemesis
    16. Left 4 Dead 2
    17. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    18. Mario Kart: Double Dash
    19. Marvel vs Capcom 2
    20. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
    21. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    22. Nethack
    23. Outer Wilds
    24. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    25. Pathologic 2
    26. Persona 3 Portable
    27. Rock Band 3
    28. Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    29. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    30. Shadow of the Colossus
    31. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    32. Silent Hill 2
    33. Sims 3
    34. Sleeping Dogs
    35. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    36. Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
    37. Starcraft
    38. Stardew Valley
    39. Super Metroid
    40. System Shock 2
    41. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010)
    42. Tetris (Game Boy)
    43. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    44. The House in Fata Morgana
    45. Tie Fighter
    46. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    47. Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
    48. UFO: Enemy Unknown / XCOM: UFO Defense (1994)
    49. Vagrant Story
    50. Yakuza 5

(TBH I could be convinced to replace THPS2 with 3 or 4)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'll accept both Rise or World, but they're both good enough to deserve a spot.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    My favorite and imo the most representative of the series in MH Generations Ultimate, but no way in hell does a pre World Monster Hunter game have a chance of surviving on this list.

It was one of those games I always heard about but never had the system to play it, until World. Then World showed up and I loved it and I sunk hundreds of hours into different builds and just played coop over and over again.

Getting carried by people through stuff then turning around and helping other people was so much fun.

Then add in all the stupid IP crossing like the MegaMan palico outfit? Just a great game.

I tried with one of the PSP entries after hearing positive things on these forums, then again with Tri but it took World to really sink it's hooks in.

I went from Bow to Glaive and eventually ended at Gunlance as far as favourites go.

• Options
    You may have one or the other but not both

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm trying to figure out what I can cut for a Monster Hunter game that it might actually stick around for a bit.

Thinking Persona 3 Portable cause JRPG saturation, despite it having the better MC than vanilla P3.

Monster Hunter World will rise again.

Or Tri to, anyway.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    the list is honestly starting to hit an equilibrium point where i either agree with everyone on it or i'm not really familiar with the game to feel good about knifing it

Anyway, cut Pokemon Blue, add DEVICE 6

Look, I get it. I've been playing pokemon since I was 8. But here's the thing. Pokemon games are mostly kinda shitty. The core gameplay loops are dull, with a system that is at the same time too easy and too grindy, and it offers very little in terms of staying power other than grinding out your Pokedex. The combat system is actually a lot of fun and competitive pokemon is a surprisingly deep strategy game, but the official releases do everything they can to put roadblocks in the way of enjoying that (Does Pokemon Showdown count as a video game? I'd fight for that to be here if I thought it had a chance in hell of surviving). And that's before we get into the specific problems with Pokemon gen 1. Red and Blue are buggy messes and their spritework is rough. There's something sort of endearing about how cobbled-together the whole thing is, but I don't think that charm earns it a spot on the top fifty games of all time. The reason Red and Blue were so successful was only partially to do with the games themselves, and more to do with the way that they were one prong of a massive media blitz that completely captured the imagination of every kid younger than like 12. The Pokemon company sold all of us on the fun and excitement and wonder of the world of Pokemon and offered the games as a means by which to exist within it, except Red and Blue are not especially reflective of that world.

Many of the Pokemon look weird and wrong. You can't meaningfully befriend your pokemon, only fight with them. There's no real sense that you're going out and seeing the world and making all kinds of new friends; the only guy you really have a relationship with is Blue, who I'll grant is pretty great by the standards of GameBoy game characters. Pokemon Red and Blue are not great games in themselves but rather mostly empty canvases for you to project your imagination onto, but unlike other games I might describe that way, like say Minecraft, there's no mechanisms by which you can actually bring your imagination to life. I think this is a big part of why we've always had shit like people clamoring for a Pokemon MMO or having meltdowns when the new Pokemon game has a bad frame rate, because Pokemon has always been more about selling you on the suggestion of the world of Pokemon without ever actually properly portraying it, and the longer people feel like the reality of the games don't match up to their imaginations, the angrier they get. This is not to excuse the HORRIBLE behavior of large swathes of the Pokemon fanbase, only to say that I think the Pokemon Company's decades-long business strategy has in many ways primed that behavior. The games themselves are almost irrelevant, because they're just little digital dioramas that encourage you to imagine what it would actually be like if the experience was, you know, good. That's why they cloister (cloyster) off the actual good part of the game so heavily, because it's really not what it's supposed to be about. I think it's actually pretty interesting that the games function in this way, and do such a good job of evoking a richer experience without actually providing it, but is that top 50 material. I say no.

Anyway DEVICE 6 fuckin' rad. It turns an ebook into an adventure game, with halls, castles and courtyards built out of words and unsettling parallaxing photographs and illustrations. The soundtrack is phenomenal, the story is a pretty solid little piece of sci-fi horror, and the whole thing is dripping in a style that's clearly heavily inspired by The Prisoner but which feels incredibly fresh and unique in the world of video games.
    4. Celeste
    5. Caesar 3
    6. Chrono Trigger (DS)
    7. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    8. Disco Elysium
    9. Escape Velocity: Nova
    10. Fallout New Vegas
    11. Front Mission 3
    12. Hollow Knight
    13. Katamari Damacy
    14. Kentucky Route Zero
    15. Laser Squad Nemesis
    16. Left 4 Dead 2
    19. Marvel vs Capcom 2
    22. Nethack
    23. Outer Wilds
    25. Pathologic 2
    26. Persona 3 Portable
    27. Rock Band 3
    28. Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    29. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    30. Shadow of the Colossus
    31. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    32. Silent Hill 2
    33. Sims 3
    34. Sleeping Dogs
    35. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    36. Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
    37. Starcraft
    38. Stardew Valley
    39. Super Metroid
    40. System Shock 2
    41. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010)
    42. Tetris (Game Boy)
    45. Tie Fighter
    49. Vagrant Story
    50. Yakuza 5

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Which Tony Hawk gave us Ozomatli

• Options
    Pokemon Blue isn't on the list anymore though

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Also I just snapped my neck from nodding so hard about Pokémon Blue

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    goddammit, that's what i get for not double-checking the list before posting

...also i just copied the list without actually updating it....

• Options
    Now I'm trying to figure out which one Speed actually knifed because P3P is still there and that's what took out Blue

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

you’ve got your knife good and sharp in the event Pokémon shows up again though

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    if I were to put a Pokemon game on there, it would probably be either Diamond or Black

or SoulSilver

anyway Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a fantastically boring game and I'm continually shocked at how well-regarded it still is

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Madican wrote: »
    Now I'm trying to figure out which one Speed actually knifed because P3P is still there and that's what took out Blue

i forgot to actually knife anything (or add DEVICE 6!) because I'm dumb

anyway uhhhhh i dunno cut Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (2010) I guess. I got no beef with it and I know it's got some passionate fans, I'm mostly just curious to see if there's enough broad support for it to get it back on the list.
    4. Celeste
    5. Caesar 3
    6. Chrono Trigger (DS)
    7. DEVICE 6
    8. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    9. Disco Elysium
    10. Escape Velocity: Nova
    11. Fallout New Vegas
    12. Front Mission 3
    13. Hollow Knight
    14. Katamari Damacy
    15. Kentucky Route Zero
    16. Laser Squad Nemesis
    17. Left 4 Dead 2
    18. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    19. Mario Kart: Double Dash
    20. Marvel vs Capcom 2
    21. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries
    22. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    23. Nethack
    24. Outer Wilds
    25. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    26. Pathologic 2
    27. Persona 3 Portable
    28. Rock Band 3
    29. Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    30. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    31. Shadow of the Colossus
    32. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    33. Silent Hill 2
    34. Sims 3
    35. Sleeping Dogs
    36. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    37. Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
    38. Starcraft
    39. Stardew Valley
    40. Super Metroid
    41. System Shock 2
    42. Tetris (Game Boy)
    45. Tie Fighter
    49. Vagrant Story
    50. Yakuza 5

Speed Racer on
  • Options

you’ve got your knife good and sharp in the event Pokémon shows up again though

What if I put up Pokemon TCG for the Gameboy

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yeah, Monster Hunter is a special series to me. World was my intro to it but the gameplay has such a high skill ceiling, immaculately animated monsters, a fun art style, and combine all that with it being just goofy as fuck and I love it.

I mean, come on. This is adorable and stupid.

https://youtu.be/E-bJJE3REss

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I think every mainline Pokémon game is better than the originals but on the other hand none of the other games have Missingno, the cowards.
    Also I hear Mew is behind a truck in those games.

• Options
    I think that as a setting, there is definitely room for Pokemon as plenty of people envision it. Like, imagine Animal Crossing or even Stardew Valley, but it's Pokemon. That shit would sell like hotcakes based on my circles, I tell you what. But that's not the experience being offered because the core series is all about the fights and Game Dev companies can be real fucking paranoid about changing the formula sometimes.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I'm curious what folks thoughts are for the vanias, re: Super Metroid and Castlevania

personally i think Hollow Knight pretty much perfected the genre that Super Metroid and the igavanias defined and has therefore rendered them redundant on this list

but there's clearly a lot of castlevania love in here and i think we're probably getting one game or another from that series no matter what

think that makes Super Metroid doubly-redundant though, much as I love it

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I'm curious what folks thoughts are for the vanias, re: Super Metroid and Castlevania

personally i think Hollow Knight pretty much perfected the genre that Super Metroid and the igavanias defined and has therefore rendered them redundant on this list

but there's clearly a lot of castlevania love in here and i think we're probably getting one game or another from that series no matter what

think that makes Super Metroid doubly-redundant though, much as I love it

Super Metroid > Hollow Knight.

I'd even put Dread above Hollow Knight. Hollow Knight is amazing but it ain't Metroid, which has a near limitless skill ceiling for movement.

Hollow Knight is the better boss rush game by a mile (Hello Pantheons) but for the story mode, Metroid is to date unfuckwithable when it comes to exploration within the genre. IMHO, of course.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    the thing this thread is doing is revealing how easy it is to keep your scope of awareness narrower than you realize

On page 100 I expect you'll reveal that everyone who contributed was secretly poisoned when casting their vote, right?

We're all on a Japanese/Korean horror game show.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Syphon Filter won't last long, but that was a great PSP game that is completely elevated to incredible if you had some buddies to play against.

I earned the internet's hatred when I successfully argued for eToychest to name it GOTY that year.

It was genuinely my favorite game that year.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Now that it's dead. Let me say that Tactics Ogre: LUCT has the worst crafting systems I've seen in an rpg.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I think Dead Cells formula, replayability, variety, and gameplay is way more fun than any 'vania, but someone cut it early and either knives are being held or I'm alone in thinking those sacred cows are plump for slaughter.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Sacred cows make the best barbecue, but you gotta be sure the recipe's just right if you don't want the dining room putting your particular Hallelujah Holstein on the menu next.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've never really thought of Dead Cells as a metroidvania, since I consider the intentionality of a set map to be an integral part of the genre identity

now if you'll excuse me I believe I have an appointment to be stuffed into a locker

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've never really thought of Dead Cells as a metroidvania, since I consider the intentionality of a set map to be an integral part of the genre identity

now if you'll excuse me I believe I have an appointment to be stuffed into a locker

Yeah, I don't really think of Dead Cells as a Metroidvania either.
    I, however, believe this to be a plus in it's favour, as part of my problem is I don't really like Metroidvanias.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Dead Cells is a roguelite and that's why I don't like it

• Options
    I think Dead Cells is listed as a Roguevania on Steam, which fits. But not Metroidvania.

• Options
    I'm not convinced that alphabetical is an entirely neutral sorting method.

I'm partially convinced that Vagrant Story has lasted as long as it has because it's hovering near the bottom of the list.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Fishman wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that alphabetical is an entirely neutral sorting method.

I'm partially convinced that Vagrant Story has lasted as long as it has because it's hovering near the bottom of the list.

It's on the shortlist to be cut, but there are other games I think that are worse and still on the list.

I change the way I scroll through the list each time I'm looking to try and keep things fresh.
    Caesar 3
    Laser Squad Nemesis
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Pathologic 2
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
    Celeste
    Nethack
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    Persona 3 Portable
    Silent Hill 2
    Tie Fighter
    Vagrant Story
    Yakuza 5

Kelor on
  • Options
    Remove: Laser Squad Nemesis because UFO/X-com is better in every way.
    Add: Portal, because it's clever, funny, well written, and has an end credits song I still hum and think about at times (but possibly not as much as Katamari's theme).
    4. Celeste
    5. Caesar 3
    6. Chrono Trigger (DS)
    7. DEVICE 6
    8. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
    9. Disco Elysium
    10. Escape Velocity: Nova
    11. Fallout New Vegas
    12. Front Mission 3
    13. Hollow Knight
    14. Katamari Damacy
    15. Kentucky Route Zero
    16. Left 4 Dead 2
    19. Marvel vs Capcom 2
    22. Nethack
    23. Outer Wilds
    25. Pathologic 2
    26. Persona 3 Portable
    27. Portal
    28. Rock Band 3
    29. Secret of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    30. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    31. Shadow of the Colossus
    32. Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
    33. Silent Hill 2
    34. Sims 3
    35. Sleeping Dogs
    36. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    37. Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters
    38. Starcraft
    39. Stardew Valley
    40. Super Metroid
    41. System Shock 2
    42. Tetris (Game Boy)
    45. Tie Fighter
    49. Vagrant Story
    50. Yakuza 5

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Remove: SSX3
    Add: Tony Hawk's Underground

Fuck the snow, and The Man
    God damn it, Pooro, I was waiting until somebody knifed Bomberman 64: The Second Attack so it would be the perfect time for me to retaliate by cutting SSX for Snowboard Kids 2. But you all had to go and do it in the wrong order. What am I supposed to do with all these fond childhood memories with my sister now, huh?!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I used to like Dead Cells.

Then my good controller broke and my new controller's fucking A button isn't as responsive.

Which I guess is more about my controller than Dead Cells.

But now when I think about playing Dead Cells I'm not sure if I can trust my A button to work as reliably as a game like that needs it to work and it makes me sad.

RT800 on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Remove: SSX3
    Add: Tony Hawk's Underground

Fuck the snow, and The Man
    God damn it, Pooro, I was waiting until somebody knifed Bomberman 64: The Second Attack so it would be the perfect time for me to retaliate by cutting SSX for Snowboard Kids 2. But you all had to go and do it in the wrong order. What am I supposed to do with all these fond childhood memories with my sister now, huh?!

Knife something else and start a new cycle of vengeance.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
This discussion has been closed.