As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Teflon Robe], Or A GST On Judicial and Prosecutorial Misconduct

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A man is being forced back to prison because what's the harm in a little Brady violation:
    Crosley Green has had two years outside of prison walls. Two years of having cookouts with family, going to church on Sundays and dreaming of staying free for the rest of his life.
    That seems to be all the time he’ll get. The 65-year-old Titusville, Fla., man, whose questionable 1990 murder conviction was vacated in 2018 before being reinstated on the state’s appeal in 2022, must surrender himself to the Florida Department of Corrections by April 17, a judge ruled this week. Having run out of appeals, U.S. District Judge Roy Dalton of the Middle District of Florida wrote, Green will have to complete the remainder of his sentence: life behind bars.
    Green, who said he has clung to his faith and remained optimistic despite the looming possibility of returning to prison, called the situation “the way it is.”

The kicker is that to get clemency, he has to go through the very man who worked to put him back in prison. But this demonstrates why judges need to not be allowed to determine if prosecutorial misconduct is material.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    It has long been obvious that the courts don't give a damn about the fundamental principles of law and justice. Trivial little things like the whole "letting ten guilty go free rather than convict an innocent" and such. Far too many judges seem to treat it with as much gravity as someone rules lawyering D&D, and I can't help but think it's just as much a game to them.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Just reading the original story of the Ex-GF...it's crazy they ever got a capital punishment conviction in the first place. She claimed an armed black man walked up to the truck while they were smoking weed and drove them to a separate location, the boyfriend (who died) shot at the man with his own gun but missed, and she escaped in the truck. 30 minutes later when the cops showed up they found the victim dead of a gunshot wound with his arms tied behind his back.

All three witnesses eventually recanted their testimony that Green confessed to the murder. What an awful story. The current court system ruling on this is basically saying yeah, the handwritten notes that it was the Ex Gf wouldn't have mattered because we all know how racist the system is, so he still would have been found guilty.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Just reading the original story of the Ex-GF...it's crazy they ever got a capital punishment conviction in the first place. She claimed an armed black man walked up to to truck while they were smoking weed and drove them to a separate location, the boyfriend (who died) shot at the man with his own gun but missed, and she escaped in the truck. 30 minutes later when the cops showed up they found the victim dead of a gunshot wound with his arms tied behind his back.

Against a black man in florida? He had basically zero chance with a jury.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Just reading the original story of the Ex-GF...it's crazy they ever got a capital punishment conviction in the first place. She claimed an armed black man walked up to to truck while they were smoking weed and drove them to a separate location, the boyfriend (who died) shot at the man with his own gun but missed, and she escaped in the truck. 30 minutes later when the cops showed up they found the victim dead of a gunshot wound with his arms tied behind his back.

All white jury to boot.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    Goumindong wrote: »

All white jury to boot.

Last I checked, that's grounds to throw the trial out on its own.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

A detail from our story today: Ted Cruz tweeted this photo of Clarence Thomas swearing in 5th Circuit Judge James Ho. Turns out this is in billionaire Harlan Crow's private library, and flight records show Crow's jet dispatched to DC and back to Dallas before + after this event
    Honored to attend Jim Ho's swearing in to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals today, alongside Justice Clarence Thomas & Judge Jerry Smith. I am confident my good friend Jim will be an extraordinary appellate judge and a principled jurist faithful to the law.
    mqhu3hkgh42r.jpeg

Nothing says to me "principled jurist" like getting sworn into your appointment that you can stay in until achieving senior status at a billionaire's private library and then riding his private jet back home.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Man, imagine having a fireplace so big you could literally walk into it without ducking.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

A detail from our story today: Ted Cruz tweeted this photo of Clarence Thomas swearing in 5th Circuit Judge James Ho. Turns out this is in billionaire Harlan Crow's private library, and flight records show Crow's jet dispatched to DC and back to Dallas before + after this event
    Honored to attend Jim Ho's swearing in to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals today, alongside Justice Clarence Thomas & Judge Jerry Smith. I am confident my good friend Jim will be an extraordinary appellate judge and a principled jurist faithful to the law.
    mqhu3hkgh42r.jpeg

Nothing says to me "principled jurist" like getting sworn into your appointment that you can stay in until achieving senior status at a billionaire's private library and then riding his private jet back home.

And lets not forget that Ho is the judge who has publicly stated that he won't take clerks from Yale and Stanford because students there stood up to conservative bigots.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2023-04-06/the-times-reported-about-justice-thomas-gifts-20-years-ago-after-he-just-stopped-disclosing-them
    WASHINGTON — It was 2004 when the Los Angeles Times disclosed that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had accepted expensive gifts and private plane trips paid for by Harlan Crow, a wealthy Texas real estate investor and a prominent Republican donor.

The gifts included a Bible that once belonged to abolitionist Frederick Douglass — a gift Thomas valued at $19,000 — and a bust of Abraham Lincoln valued at $15,000.

“I just knew he was a fan of Frederick Douglass, and I saw that item come available at an auction and I bought it for him,” Crow explained at the time.

He also flew Thomas on his personal plane to Northern California to be his guest at the Bohemian Grove, which held all-male retreats for government and business leaders.

Thomas refused to comment on the article, but it had an impact: Thomas appears to have continued accepting free trips from his wealthy friend. But he stopped disclosing them.
    Continuing to act unethically but not reporting it as required sounds like what Clarence Thomas would do.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2023-04-06/the-times-reported-about-justice-thomas-gifts-20-years-ago-after-he-just-stopped-disclosing-them
    WASHINGTON — It was 2004 when the Los Angeles Times disclosed that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had accepted expensive gifts and private plane trips paid for by Harlan Crow, a wealthy Texas real estate investor and a prominent Republican donor.

The gifts included a Bible that once belonged to abolitionist Frederick Douglass — a gift Thomas valued at $19,000 — and a bust of Abraham Lincoln valued at $15,000.

“I just knew he was a fan of Frederick Douglass, and I saw that item come available at an auction and I bought it for him,” Crow explained at the time.

He also flew Thomas on his personal plane to Northern California to be his guest at the Bohemian Grove, which held all-male retreats for government and business leaders.

Thomas refused to comment on the article, but it had an impact: Thomas appears to have continued accepting free trips from his wealthy friend. But he stopped disclosing them.
    Continuing to act unethically but not reporting it as required sounds like what Clarence Thomas would do.

In regular criminal land thats called against the law. And him not disclosing them highlights he knew they were improper on top.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Kacsmaryk did the thing everyone thought he would do.
    A federal judge in Texas on Friday halted the Food and Drug Administration's approval of the abortion pill mifepristone, delivering a blow to abortion rights advocates in the wake of the Supreme Court's dismantling of the constitutional right to abortion.

I haven't tried to read the opinion yet because I'm sure it's awful. It's pretty obviously written by an in the tank anti abortion zealot though:
    "FDA manipulated and misconstrued the text of Subpart H to greenlight elective chemical abortions on a wide scale," he wrote, referencing the federal rule under which the abortion pill was approved.

Kacsmaryk also said in his ruling that the "FDA stonewalled judicial review — until now," and accused the agency of ignoring petitions targeting mifepristone's approval for 16 years.

"The Court does not second-guess FDA's decision-making lightly. But here, FDA acquiesced on its legitimate safety concerns — in violation of its statutory duty — based on plainly unsound reasoning and studies that did not support its conclusions," he wrote. "There is also evidence indicating FDA faced significant political pressure to forego its proposed safety precautions to better advance the political objective of increased 'access; to chemical abortion — which was the 'whole idea of mifepristone.'"

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    https://www.texastribune.org/2023/04/06/texas-harlan-crow-clarence-thomas-gifts/
    On the weekend of Oct. 16, 2021, Crow’s jet repeated the pattern. That weekend, Thomas and Crow traveled to a Catholic cemetery in a bucolic suburb of New York City. They were there for the unveiling of a bronze statue of the justice’s beloved eighth grade teacher, a nun, according to Catholic Cemetery magazine.

As Thomas spoke from a lectern, the monument towered over him, standing 7 feet tall and weighing 1,800 pounds, its granite base inscribed with words his teacher once told him. Thomas told the nuns assembled before him, “This extraordinary statue is dedicated to you sisters.”

He also thanked the donors who paid for the statue: Harlan and Kathy Crow.
    I will never have so much wealth that I will pay for a statue of someone's 8th grade teacher

• Options
    But wait, it gets worse! Would it surprise you to learn that billionaire conservative lobbyist Harlan Crow also has an enormous collection of Nazi memorabilia and a statue garden full of dictators?
    When Republican megadonor Harlan Crow isn’t lavishing Justice Clarence Thomas with free trips on his private plane and yacht (in possible violation of Supreme Court ethics rules), he lives a quiet life in Dallas among his historical collections. These collections include Hitler artifacts—two of his paintings of European cityscapes, a signed copy of Mein Kampf, and assorted Nazi memorabilia—plus a garden full of statues of the 20th century’s worst despots.

Crow, the billionaire heir to a real estate fortune, has said that he’s filled his property with these mementoes because he hates communism and fascism. Nonetheless, his collections caused an uproar back in 2015 when Marco Rubio attended a fundraiser at Crow’s house on the eve of Yom Kippur. Rubio’s critics thought the timing was inappropriate given, you know, the Hitler stuff.

“I still can’t get over the collection of Nazi memorabilia,” says one person who attended an event at Crow’s home a few years ago and asked to remain anonymous. “It would have been helpful to have someone explain the significance of all the items. Without that context, you sort of just gasp when you walk into the room.” One memorable aspect was the paintings: “something done by George W. Bush next to a Norman Rockwell next to one by Hitler.” They also said it was “startling” and “strange” to see the dictator sculptures in the backyard.

• Options
    Boy, I sure hate Nazis, better spend a bunch of money to get a bunch of Nazi memorabilia and display it prominently in my house.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Man, imagine having a fireplace so big you could literally walk into it without ducking.

I'm more offended that this is a private "library" with significantly more space devoted to nonsense like the world's largest fireplace than books -- and the books that are there are so very obviously for show. This is the library of a man who wants to be the kind of man who has a private library, but not the kind of man who reads books.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    But wait, it gets worse! Would it surprise you to learn that billionaire conservative lobbyist Harlan Crow also has an enormous collection of Nazi memorabilia and a statue garden full of dictators?
    When Republican megadonor Harlan Crow isn’t lavishing Justice Clarence Thomas with free trips on his private plane and yacht (in possible violation of Supreme Court ethics rules), he lives a quiet life in Dallas among his historical collections. These collections include Hitler artifacts—two of his paintings of European cityscapes, a signed copy of Mein Kampf, and assorted Nazi memorabilia—plus a garden full of statues of the 20th century’s worst despots.

Crow, the billionaire heir to a real estate fortune, has said that he’s filled his property with these mementoes because he hates communism and fascism. Nonetheless, his collections caused an uproar back in 2015 when Marco Rubio attended a fundraiser at Crow’s house on the eve of Yom Kippur. Rubio’s critics thought the timing was inappropriate given, you know, the Hitler stuff.

“I still can’t get over the collection of Nazi memorabilia,” says one person who attended an event at Crow’s home a few years ago and asked to remain anonymous. “It would have been helpful to have someone explain the significance of all the items. Without that context, you sort of just gasp when you walk into the room.” One memorable aspect was the paintings: “something done by George W. Bush next to a Norman Rockwell next to one by Hitler.” They also said it was “startling” and “strange” to see the dictator sculptures in the backyard.

OK, never mind; I'm more offended by this.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Man, I feel like at the point you decide to start buying Nazi memorabilia, your fortune should be taken away from you and spent on underserved communities. Dude is a villain straight out of an Indiana Jones movie...except with the tackiest of taste. How sick is our billionaire class?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Man, I feel like at the point you decide to start buying Nazi memorabilia, your fortune should be taken away from you and spent on underserved communities. Dude is a villain straight out of an Indiana Jones movie...except with the tackiest of taste. How sick is our billionaire class?

You don't become a billionaire by being a good person, you do so by exploiting the system and harming others who don't

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would love Nazi memorabilia that came with assorted sledgehammers and different sized explosives. But that's the only use for the stuff.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    On the one hand it's utterly fascinating to see how individuals justify to themselves clearly unwell habits and obsessions. Crow has to have something wrong with his personality to think that owning so many objects from an objectively terrible government is an okay thing to do. It's not like he's studying them, nor lending them out to scholars for any kind of useful research. He has these things for his own personal enjoyment.

That's more than a little fucked up. The kind of fucked up where you give the person doing this a serious look while asking, "Did something happen to you as a child I should know about".

It's like with the Kochs. Their daddy didn't just feed them off-brand libertarianism for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Daddy Koch also let them spend time around the friends and fixers of literal tyrants. For years. Because it profited him to do so. So the little brothers Koch didn't only grow up with a supreme lack of empathy towards others, but were purpose raised to be that way. You could call them soldiers of fascism if you wanted because that's what they became. They hate Democracy because in part that's how they were raised to see the world. You don't need to live the life of a billionaire to get that way, but it certainly helps illustrate and isolate and that furthers those lessons.

So what the fuck happened to Crow which has twisted his mind to the point that having a statue garden devoted to the monsters of history makes sense to him?

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    On the one hand it's utterly fascinating to see how individuals justify to themselves clearly unwell habits and obsessions. Crow has to have something wrong with his personality to think that owning so many objects from an objectively terrible government is an okay thing to do. It's not like he's studying them, nor lending them out to scholars for any kind of useful research. He has these things for his own personal enjoyment.

That's more than a little fucked up. The kind of fucked up where you give the person doing this a serious look while asking, "Did something happen to you as a child I should know about".

It's like with the Kochs. Their daddy didn't just feed them off-brand libertarianism for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Daddy Koch also let them spend time around the friends and fixers of literal tyrants. For years. Because it profited him to do so. So the little brothers Koch didn't only grow up with a supreme lack of empathy towards others, but were purpose raised to be that way. You could call them soldiers of fascism if you wanted because that's what they became. They hate Democracy because in part that's how they were raised to see the world. You don't need to live the life of a billionaire to get that way, but it certainly helps illustrate and isolate and that furthers those lessons.

So what the fuck happened to Crow which has twisted his mind to the point that having a statue garden devoted to the monsters of history makes sense to him?

Crow is also a failson of a billionaire

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-propublica-harlan-crow-1c4c2f41
    The left’s assault on the Supreme Court is continuing, and the latest front is the news that Justice Clarence Thomas has a rich friend who has hosted the Justice on his private plane, his yacht, and his vacation resort. That’s it. That’s the story. Yet this non-bombshell has triggered breathless claims that the Court must be investigated, and that Justice Thomas must resign or be impeached. Those demands give away the real political game here.

ProPublica, a left-leaning website, kicked off the fun with a report Thursday that Justice Thomas has a longtime friendship with Harlan Crow, a wealthy Texas real-estate developer. The intrepid reporters roamed far and wide to discover that the Justice has sometimes traveled on Mr. Crow’s “Bombardier Global 5000 jet” and that each summer the Justice and his wife spend a vacation week at Mr. Crow’s place in the Adirondacks.

The piece is loaded with words and phrases intended to convey that this is all somehow disreputable: “superyacht”; “luxury trips”; “exclusive California all-male retreat”; “sprawling ranch”; “private chefs”; “elegant accommodation”; “opulent lodge”; “lavishing the justice with gifts.” And more.
    WSJ: Look, who hasn't used a friend's yacht, plane, and vacation resort as well as getting physical gifts worth many thousands of dollars? We all do that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/clarence-thomas-supreme-court-propublica-harlan-crow-1c4c2f41
    The left’s assault on the Supreme Court is continuing, and the latest front is the news that Justice Clarence Thomas has a rich friend who has hosted the Justice on his private plane, his yacht, and his vacation resort. That’s it. That’s the story. Yet this non-bombshell has triggered breathless claims that the Court must be investigated, and that Justice Thomas must resign or be impeached. Those demands give away the real political game here.

ProPublica, a left-leaning website, kicked off the fun with a report Thursday that Justice Thomas has a longtime friendship with Harlan Crow, a wealthy Texas real-estate developer. The intrepid reporters roamed far and wide to discover that the Justice has sometimes traveled on Mr. Crow’s “Bombardier Global 5000 jet” and that each summer the Justice and his wife spend a vacation week at Mr. Crow’s place in the Adirondacks.

The piece is loaded with words and phrases intended to convey that this is all somehow disreputable: “superyacht”; “luxury trips”; “exclusive California all-male retreat”; “sprawling ranch”; “private chefs”; “elegant accommodation”; “opulent lodge”; “lavishing the justice with gifts.” And more.
    WSJ: Look, who hasn't used a friend's yacht, plane, and vacation resort as well as getting physical gifts worth many thousands of dollars? We all do that.

That reads like satire to me. There is a huge disconnect here, golly.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Folks, is it journalistic malpractice to use words and phrases to accurately describe things?

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Folks, is it journalistic malpractice to use words and phrases to accurately describe things?

Look, just because it is a retreat located in California that just so happens to be very particular about who it lets in and has a rule that only men are allowed does make it an “exclusive California all-make retreat.

Next you are going to tell me that a chef whose services you contract solely for yourself and your guests to make you dinner in your home is a private chef.

Don’t even get me started on calling the laces in my shoes shoe laces!

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    So, someone needs to start a charity that buys up Nazi memorabilia and melts it down, just so future fascists can be deprived of it. Of course, they'd just use the money to make new fascist memorabilia.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Kacsmaryk did the thing everyone thought he would do.
    A federal judge in Texas on Friday halted the Food and Drug Administration's approval of the abortion pill mifepristone, delivering a blow to abortion rights advocates in the wake of the Supreme Court's dismantling of the constitutional right to abortion.

I haven't tried to read the opinion yet because I'm sure it's awful. It's pretty obviously written by an in the tank anti abortion zealot though:
    "FDA manipulated and misconstrued the text of Subpart H to greenlight elective chemical abortions on a wide scale," he wrote, referencing the federal rule under which the abortion pill was approved.

Kacsmaryk also said in his ruling that the "FDA stonewalled judicial review — until now," and accused the agency of ignoring petitions targeting mifepristone's approval for 16 years.

"The Court does not second-guess FDA's decision-making lightly. But here, FDA acquiesced on its legitimate safety concerns — in violation of its statutory duty — based on plainly unsound reasoning and studies that did not support its conclusions," he wrote. "There is also evidence indicating FDA faced significant political pressure to forego its proposed safety precautions to better advance the political objective of increased 'access; to chemical abortion — which was the 'whole idea of mifepristone.'"

On a funny note, a judge in Washington almost immediately countered with an order to keep mifepristone available.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So, someone needs to start a charity that buys up Nazi memorabilia and melts it down, just so future fascists can be deprived of it. Of course, they'd just use the money to make new fascist memorabilia.

Reminds me of the Hitler Painting collector from Justified.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Reminds me of the Hitler Painting collector from Justified.

Or the collectors from Santa Clarita Diet!

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I could see having some of these objects in your home if they were... ah... presented properly.

As in a similar fashion to the Holocaust Museum where they set into a glass flooring so it is impossible to view them without walking on them.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    He’d be the guy who would own the handwritten notebook of the eminent Doctor Jones, detailing the mystical legends from the crusades…

Because it has Hitler’s signature on it

Muzzmuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Harlan Crow is a good man, says his friends and architects of neoconservative racial dog whistles Jonah Goldberg and Charles Murray.

The NYT gave John Yoo (lawyer and US torture memo author) an oped column to defend Crow and Thomas' relationship, but Yoo forgot to mention his own close ties to Crow.

David French also has come to Crow's defense on Twitter.

Crow's circle of defenders does indeed speak to his character. It just isn't the defense they think it is.

It's also a good example of corruption that is beyond clear-cut quid pro quo. Crow has cultivated a group of influential public figures who will come to his defense unbidden.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Harlan Crow is a good man, says his friends and architects of neoconservative racial dog whistles Jonah Goldberg and Charles Murray.

The NYT gave John Yoo (lawyer and US torture memo author) an oped column to defend Crow and Thomas' relationship, but Yoo forgot to mention his own close ties to Crow.

Crow's circle of defenders does indeed speak to his character. It just isn't the defense they think it is.

It's also a good example of corruption that is beyond clear-cut quid pro quo. Crow has cultivated a group of influential public figures who will come to his defense unbidden.

Oh, I'm not sure it was completely unbidden

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    David French is so frustrating even among his colleagues in that he can go on Ezra Klein's show, sound like he is so close to getting it when talking about things like Trump's criminality, even go as far as suggesting the pardon of Nixon was a mistake, and then a week later pull shit like this.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

John Yoo was quoted defending Thomas back in the 2004 LA Times article
    “I don’t see anything wrong in this. I don’t see why it is inappropriate to get gifts from friends,” said John C. Yoo, now a law professor at the UC Berkeley. “This reflects a bizarre effort to over-ethicize everyday life. If one of these people were to appear before the Supreme Court, Justice Thomas would recuse himself.”
    Just a small thousands of dollars worth of gifts

• Options

A commentor made a good point about all this:

Corruption isn't just quid pro quo. It can also be using your wealth and influence to assemble powerful friends who will go into defense mode for you at the drop of a hat.

This is the Jeffrey Epstein playbook.

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular

A commentor made a good point about all this:

Corruption isn't just quid pro quo. It can also be using your wealth and influence to assemble powerful friends who will go into defense mode for you at the drop of a hat.

This is the Jeffrey Epstein playbook.

For a political party that projects the image of hating soft power on the international stage, it sure does love to employ it domestically. Especially when it comes to buying elections and legislation.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2023

“I don’t see anything wrong in this. I don’t see why it is inappropriate to get gifts from friends,” said John C. Yoo, now a law professor at the UC Berkeley. “This reflects a bizarre effort to over-ethicize everyday life. If one of these people were to appear before the Supreme Court, Justice Thomas would recuse himself.”

Also Yoo is indicating that Thomas only needs to recuse himself if Crow has a case he is directly involved with before him. So I guess since Ginny Thomas wasn’t directly charged as part of the Jan 6 attempt is why he justified not recusing himself there either.

No way a billionaire could have interests that could appear before SCOTUS where they aren’t directly named or implicated.

Yoo truly is the worst fucking lawyer

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options

Also Yoo is indicating that Thomas only needs to recuse himself if Crow has a case he is directly involved with before him. So I guess since Ginny Thomas wasn’t directly charged as part of the Jan 6 attempt is why he justified not recusing himself there either.

No way a billionaire could have interests that could appear before SCOTUS where they aren’t directly named or implicated.

Yoo truly is the worst fucking lawyer

And yet he's teaching the next generations of lawyers. If you're wondering why the legal profession is so fucked up, well - there you go.