Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Should I be seeing rifts early in the main game?

Not that I've been hanging around where I think they might spawn.

discrider on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    discrider wrote: »

Probably. They start showing up about midway into the first area. And honestly, if you're good at dodging they're not that dangerous either (this is less true in later areas :P). The pokemon may be a little high level for whatever you're at, but you can avoid them pretty easily and just pick up items. Or you can probably still catch them if you try hard enough (they aren't THAT much higher)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Not that I've been hanging around where I think they might spawn.

I think you have to do some story stuff in each area before they'll appear in that area. Maybe you need to beat the noble pokemon first? Something like that.

• Options
    I should probably do that then.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Finally got 10 star rank, glad I didn't grind for it lol rewards are kinda lackluster
    20 rare candies, 20 grit rocks

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Got all the wisps and all the unowns
    Spirittomb's model is actually really good. It might be the best pokemon model in the game?

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    Finally got 10 star rank, glad I didn't grind for it lol rewards are kinda lackluster
    20 rare candies, 20 grit rocks

very good to know so i can... not bother to do that.

i'm in the postgame doing... postgame things.
    i don't think i have ever had less fun than trying to catch the sky quartet.
    this is awful and i hate it. i have spent 40k pokedollars on sticky globs...
    i'm taking a break right now because trying to catch thundurus literally crashed the game.
    i think it was too many effects + time slowdown from the basculegion leap??

• Options
    use wing/jet balls to stun instead of the actual stunning items, they work and it's way easier to get a bead on them from further away

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Kanden wrote: »
    use wing/jet balls to stun instead of the actual stunning items, they work and it's way easier to get a bead on them from further away

Yeah i realized this about 2 in

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    So in the Post-Game I fought you know who in my Arceus Nuzlocke. (Post Game Spoilers.)
    I had heard a few things about Volo being really hard but I beat him first try with no losses. Giratina too. For those wondering, my team was for him ended up being Clefable, Ursaluna, Goodra, Lilligant, Drapion, and Bronzong. But I only ended up using three of them. Clefable swept most of Volos team since I started with her and she had a Fairy, Ghost, and Psychic type special moves and Calm Mind. When her health started getting low I switched in Ursaluna, who took out Arcanine, and Goodra tanked some hits to heal Clefable back up before she finished off his last pokemon. Clefable then made pretty short work of both forms of Giratina. My pokemon were in the low 70s since I kind of thought Volo's would be, since almost all the legendaries you have to catch to fight him are at level 70. So a little overleveled, but I can't imagine I wouldn't have still won if I had been a few levels lower at 68. Might have lost a pokemon or two in the right though.

I thought that'd be the end of post game but I guess more sidequests. Also... I lost lilligant to the optional Ingo rematch in the village. It's a big shame since she was my favorite pokemon on this team. She wasn't that useful though, since non bulky pokemon are just real, real, real bad in a nuzlocke of this game since like, you can't set up and you can't sweep with them. (They're also just bad in general in this game, from what I can tell. None of the mechanic changes truly benefit fast pokemon more than they hurt them.)

Also since I'm pretty sure I need to at least see every pokemon in the game if not catch them to get to what I expect is the very last fight, I'm gonna bend the nuzlocke rules to allow myself to evolve pokemon that can only be evolved through using movies in battle that I don't think I can catch or fight any other way. Won't use those pokemon in real fights, but will just fight some low level pokes to meet the requirements to evolve the likes of Wyrdeer, Basculegion, etc.

Also gonna try to avoid leveling my main Pokemon up any more since I'm gonna assume Volo was probably the hardest part of this game.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The Lord is much easier when you stop throwing Pokemon at it instead of the pouches.
    Really should have left the pokeballs behind.

Also much easier than this alpha behind the arena with no grass.
    But that's what trees are for.

And went to look at Horseshoe Plains during the rain to see if it spawned more things.
    It did not.
    Or it did if what you're after are alpha caterpillars and cocoons.

discrider on
  • Options
    Shiny hunting Cyndaquil is making me kinda hate the Porygon line. Nothing like waiting for a rift to spawn for all three rares to just be Porygons

• Options
    Postgame complete! All Pokémon caught, 54 hours. Really wishing I had a reason to forge superweapons out of my Pokémon and make a maxed team, but I can’t think of any further goals I’m after. Maybe prep something for a future DLC or whatever.

I sort of feel the absence of the usual postgame goal, multiplayer battling and breeding, but I suspect multiplayer is more poorly balanced than usual with these mechanics destroying fast pokemon’s relevance. I do want to hunt the most dangerous game again, but otoh it ended up being too stressful/exciting for me in SwSh.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So what’s your fav Pokémon lately?

I always think of favorites in terms of groupings of Pokemon. Like favorite starter, or favorite of a particular Gen or Region.

Or to be really nerdy, favorite that's not a Starter, a Gen I, related to a Gen I, or legendary or pseudo-legendary.

I've also noticed my favorite Gen overall seems to be Gen IV pokes.

Also the Pokemon Go thread is dead so I have nowhere to brag about my perfect, shiny Jumpluff I just caught and evolved today

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So what’s your fav Pokémon lately?

I always think of favorites in terms of groupings of Pokemon. Like favorite starter, or favorite of a particular Gen or Region.

Or to be really nerdy, favorite that's not a Starter, a Gen I, related to a Gen I, or legendary or pseudo-legendary.

I've also noticed my favorite Gen overall seems to be Gen IV pokes.

Also the Pokemon Go thread is dead so I have nowhere to brag about my perfect, shiny Jumpluff I just caught and evolved today

Gen 4 definitely has a strong roster; I feel like there was kind of a shift at Gen 5 and the average quality of the designs has been a lot lower since. Which isn't to say the later gens don't have some great designs, there just seems to be a lot more chaff. Gen 4 also benefits from having the most improvements on previous Pokemon, giving new evolutions to tons of older 'Mons to make them more viable.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I hate the genies. I hate the genies. This is garbage.

Gundi on
  • Options
    I have died ten times to this last fucking genie. I ain't even counting it against the nuzlocke cause this is just such garbage random design.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »
    I have died ten times to this last fucking genie. I ain't even counting it against the nuzlocke cause this is just such garbage random design.

Use the wingballs/upgraded wing balls, they can stun too, and it's so much easier than trying to use the actual stunning items

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Volo come back I'll give you the plates just let me strangle four pokemon first.

edit: Okay that's all of them caught. That was like... the worst designed part of a game I've played in a long time.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Spoiler:
    Beat Arceus, but died twice during his fight. So even if I didn't count the deaths chasing around the stupid genies I still failed my Nuzlocke attempt.

Still, pretty good game! It was really good until the post Volo stuff, and then it got significantly less good. But still, overall I had a lot of fun.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Gen 4 introduced Rhyperior and thus earns my eternal ire

Rhyhorn is such a perfect Pokémon and it evolves into...that...

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

This is fair, but otoh, we have Magmortar and Electivire, which are each solid in different ways.

But then there's Tangrowth and Lickilicky, but also Magnezone, and the Eeveelutions.

I'd say it's a win overall, but Tangrowth and Rhyperior, especially are ... rough.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Tangrowth is good, it's a logical extension of being buried under vines

Rhyperior is close to good, I don't like it's armour plating mainly

Magmortar...ehh the big problem here is they took away the beak that magby/magmar have and replaced it with huge lips and I hate it so much. It's so unsettling and its just stupid to go from beak to human style mouth for no reason. It's like the designer just couldn't remember what magmar's face looked like

Also Togekiss saved us from the horror show that is Togetic, I cannot believe gen2 left us with that 'extremely awkward looking middle evolution' as Togepi's original final form.

Then there's Murkrow, Misdreavous, Sneasel, Aipom and Gligar that all got much needed evolutions. Gen2 was really weird about introducing new pokemon but leaving them as a single stage with bad stats

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    i always really liked slugma, but magcargo is eww. and their stats kinda suck. and they arent even included in most recent games. you had to bring them over from X&Y for S&M, they werent in the let's go games, and werent in S&S. they did make it into pokemon snap which was nice though.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I realized that I'm nearly using my exact team from when I played online in gen 4. Crobat, Chimecho, Froslass, Gastrodon, Infernape... the only difference is I'm still using my starter Decidueye instead of Sceptile.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Beat the game and am working on the post game now. This is such a fantastic game and I hope they work on another game in this style.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Finally hitting the area with the 5th noble. A large chunk of my keepers are over level 50. I have two and a half boxes of Alphas. I'm at nine stars, and have blown some 250k on storage space

I've never even fucking seen a Cherrim

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

This is fair, but otoh, we have Magmortar and Electivire, which are each solid in different ways.

But then there's Tangrowth and Lickilicky, but also Magnezone, and the Eeveelutions.

I'd say it's a win overall, but Tangrowth and Rhyperior, especially are ... rough.

What's wrong with Tangrowth? All the little Fry Guys ate the Grimace and now its Supersize Fry Guy

Seems legit

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Honchkrow was surprisingly good throughout the game against basically everything.
    ended up as my main pokemon for most of the game after I caught Murkrow.

there are a lot of ground and ghost types in this roster and they get absolutely dunked on.
    also being neutral against fighting and having STAB supereffective hits on them is great utility.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Completed the pokedex and got the shiny charm, woo! Hit 10 stars at about the same time. Definitely not going for a perfect dex, there are too many annoying tasks (like catching a magby while it's sleeping, I did that three times and it didn't count), but I might try to perfect a few entries. It's a bit annoying that the main reward for perfecting an entry is increased shiny chance, so there's no point perfecting legendary or mythical entries.

I guess it's time to wait for DLC? I had a ton of fun with this, ready for more content now please.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Lucedes wrote: »
    Honchkrow was surprisingly good throughout the game against basically everything.
    ended up as my main pokemon for most of the game after I caught Murkrow.

there are a lot of ground and ghost types in this roster and they get absolutely dunked on.
    also being neutral against fighting and having STAB supereffective hits on them is great utility.

I had no affection for Sneasal/Weavile before PLA but it's been a boss, supereffictive against grass/ground/flying/psychic/ghost is a decent chunk of the wild Pokémon out there, and with the exception of the unexpected Flamethrower or fairy move you usually know going in whether Sneasel's opponent has a move that can trash it.

Unlike my Typhlosion. So many unexpected Ground or Dark moves. It did make me start using Grit regularly to pump up my poor fireghost

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    i ended up benching my typhlosion after evolving it, just randomly ganked by so many things.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Finally giving the new game ago, just got to the first part where I can run around and just catch whatever.

Shiny bidoof immediately in front of me. Good to know what the jingle for that sounds like, now!

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Great, I just started with Cyndaquil and now I want to start over with something else : p

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I got a Jolly Sneasel from one of my very first distortions, and it put in fucking work

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Welp, all post game stuff done, pokedex complete (catch-wise at least, not all at lvl 10+ yet). All missions and requests done too :3 So now just pokedex and shiny hunting I suppose :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Great, I just started with Cyndaquil and now I want to start over with something else : p

I think he's awesome, but you're definitely going to watch him get wrecked by a surprise Bulldoze or Crunch. But this game seems even more rocket tag than usual for Pokémon, so it's gonna happen to all your mons, especially when taking on Alphas.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    i'm a little amazed a nuzlocke run was possible, given how incredibly frequently and consistently every pokemon in my party got got.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Just run around stunning everything with sticky balls

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb