As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've run into this several times in a bunch of games. It's fucking bullshit and it's designed to give you ad revenue.

Yeah, it just feels so gross to me. Because you KNOW that's the only reason that article exists (the headlines are even probably optimized to key on what users would search for)

As a side note, I think I did stumble on that site while I was playing. I tried not to look up as much as I could but occasionally I just wanted to know where all the spawns of a specific pokemon were and things like that. Those super long-winded articles are a serious pain in the ass. Like 3 paragraphs of absolute nothing before answering the damn question.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »
    So I dug out my 3DS and am doing a pokemon White nuzlocke and... I found a shiny tympole as one of my first pokemon on route catches.

I can't play any Pokémon game pre-X/Y anymore. Having a full team exp share is an absolute must, I hate having to rotate in my mons just to get them exp
    I have heartgold too, as I have it too, but when I put it in is was so slow compared to White that I just couldn't do it. As much as the games got flack in the sprite era at least performance and Q.O.L features did get like, really noticeably better when you put older games next to newer games. So like, different issue, same sentiment.

Having never played any game post White except Arceus, how do EVs work with the universal EXP share? I mean EVs have always been terrible but sharing every EV seems like it'd make them even worse. I don't normally care about EVs, but White is like... really hard to Nuzlocke? Like, with just how many back to back fights you have to do at certain points in the game, it Black/White is probably one of the harder games to complete a Nuzlocke for.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    EVs are given to all pokemon in the party in sw/sh. I'm pretty sure any pokemon that would receive exp will also be given the EVs of whatever pokemon was defeated in any of the games

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Got to the credits in Arceus, now for the post game.

I’m almost done with the dex too.
    Got a couple of stragglers to find. Need to get starters still, a couple more Porygons, and some of the weird condition evos like happiness ones, and getting a few more Evo items farmed up. Finished all of the side quests up to the post game ones that haven’t unlocked yet. So I guess it’s largely down to warps and Legendaries now.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    I'm a couple of games behind now I guess, I dropped off SwSh just after beating the main story. But I just started a fresh save file and am having fun with it again, are these DLCs worth getting at all? And can they be slotted into the main story progression, or are they strictly postgame content?

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I'm a couple of games behind now I guess, I dropped off SwSh just after beating the main story. But I just started a fresh save file and am having fun with it again, are these DLCs worth getting at all? And can they be slotted into the main story progression, or are they strictly postgame content?

You can go in any time though most people do post game so the content is leveled up. If you want to speedrun the main game you can go to the dynamax cave get a legendary and just blast everything.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I've heard the DLC is really good. I'm also thinking about picking it up again now that I finished Arceus and Diamond.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Those are clickbait sites. They are not exclusive to games journalism.

Anyway, these are the mons that are not in any switch games, meaning once the 3DS shop is offline they become impossible to get (if not already in your Home/Bank)
    #495 - Snivy
    #496 - Servine
    #497 - Serviper
    #498 - Tepig
    #499 - Pignite
    #500 - Emboar
    #504 - Patrat
    #505 - Watchog
    #511 - Pansage
    #512 - Simisage
    #513 - Pansear
    #514 - Simisear
    #515 - Panpour
    #516 - Simipour
    #522 - Blitzle
    #523 - Zebstrika
    #540 - Sewaddle
    #541 - Swadloon
    #542 - Leavanny
    #580 - Ducklett
    #581 - Swanna
    #585 - Deerling
    #586 - Sawsbuck
    #594 - Alomomola
    #602 - Tynamo
    #603 - Eelektrik
    #605 - Eelektross
    #648 - Meloetta
    #650 - Chespin
    #651 - Quilladin
    #652 - Chesnaught
    #653 - Fennekin
    #654 - Braixen
    #655 - Delphox
    #656 - Froakie
    #657 - Frogadier
    #658 - Greninja
    #676 - Furfrou
    #731 - Pikipek
    #732 - Trumbeak
    #733 - Toucannon
    #734 - Yungoos
    #735 - Gumshoos
    #739 - Crabrawler
    #740 - Crabominable
    #741 - Oricorio
    #774 - Minior
    #775 - Komala
    #779 - Bruxish

• Options
    Yeah Im hoping they add them to sword and sheild since that seems to be competitive for the forseeable future or at least Arceus.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I bet Arceus will get a handful of those (if not all?). New DLC, I feel they've gotta add in more Pokemon. That's like a minimum requisite for Pokemon DLC I feel. Otherwise what's the point? "Here's a new area with pokemon you can catch somewhere else" :P

Edit: Oh man, I love this:

Looks like they are doing some artwork for the upcoming Pokemon Day. These look great :D Makes me miss those animated shorts they did awhile back (art style kinda reminds me of them).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The things people want for those fucking monkeys.
    Ugh.
    I just want to complete my living dex and its mostly unova,Kalos and Alola. Also 2 legendaries you cant GTS but they never have events for

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've heard the DLC is really good. I'm also thinking about picking it up again now that I finished Arceus and Diamond.

I really enjoyed both SwSh dlcs. I was much more invested in the Isle of Armor characters and mons, but the Dynamax Adventures in Crown Tundra are a super fun time with legendaries as rewards so I'm not complaining

(Of course, I have Sword and got Clara for my Isle rival, and she's spectacular)

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The things people want for those fucking monkeys.
    Ugh.
    I just want to complete my living dex and its mostly unova,Kalos and Alola. Also 2 legendaries you cant GTS but they never have events for

Thanks to Legends Arceus I am finally coming around on the Infernape line, and I have a soft spot for largely useless Passimian. But all the other monkey Pokémon leave me cold

Edit: he says, completely forgetting Grooky, Thawcky, and Rillaboom. I like them too!

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Look, Arceus, just because I jumped this river and am now facing off against this alpha Torterra two stars ahead of me, doesn't mean you can just instabreak him from my solid green catch chance balls.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    discrider wrote: »
    Look, Arceus, just because I jumped this river and am now facing off against this alpha Torterra two stars ahead of me, doesn't mean you can just instabreak him from my solid green catch chance balls.

Honestly, keep trying. I've noticed Arceus tends to be really forgiving with that stuff, but there's always some amount of failure chance. But like, you can technically catch really high level alphas in normal ass pokeballs (obviously the better pokeball you use the better :P). I've caught stuff waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than me many times in this game, something Sword & Shield flat out refused to let me even ATTEMPT which pissed me off so much ("Oh, sorry, that pokemon is 2 levels higher than your team, you aren't allowed to throw a pokeball")

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Honestly, keep trying. I've noticed Arceus tends to be really forgiving with that stuff, but there's always some amount of failure chance. But like, you can technically catch really high level alphas in normal ass pokeballs (obviously the better pokeball you use the better :P). I've caught stuff waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than me many times in this game, something Sword & Shield flat out refused to let me even ATTEMPT which pissed me off so much ("Oh, sorry, that pokemon is 2 levels higher than your team, you aren't allowed to throw a pokeball")

I caught an alpha Garchomp yesterday while it was sleeping(!) and was really relieved that it got trapped on the first try, because I realized after the fact that it was level 85. The highest level 'mon I had in my party at the time was lvl 52, which would have been an absolute bloodbath if the thing had woken up

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Okay.
    Took me another 2 cakes/balls, but eventually got it.
    About 10-15 in total :(

Spoiled Apricorns and mud actually came in handy for clearing out the other Pokes around it.
    Much easier to bean them with those after they aggro and then follow up with a pokeball or two, than battling, or just running and then capturing them after disengaging.

discrider on
  • Options
    Okay.
    Took me another 2 cakes/balls, but eventually got it.
    About 10-15 in total :(

Spoiled Apricorns and mud actually came in handy for clearing out the other Pokes around it.
    Much easier to bean them with those after they aggro and then follow up with a pokeball or two, than battling, or just running and then capturing them after disengaging.

Save both of those you'll need them for Sticky globs later. They usually 1 stun any pokemon

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    No shocker that a Pokémon Presents is happening on Pokémon day

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Pokemon Sleep here we come!

• Options
    14 minutes so 30 seconds of talking from a suit a 13 minute commercial nobody cares about and 30 seconds of actual news

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    It's probably either to announce an expansion to Arceus or whatever the next game is going to be. I wouldn't expect anything supporting older games. And I don't think they're quite ready to do a black and white remake. We can always keep dreaming about an online PC pokemon game though.

• Options
    At the very least I'm expecting them to announce home support for BDSP and Legends.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    More bugs for the remakes.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    So I am resetting an outbreak of spheal to try and catch a shiny, and noticed something about the way the game handles spheal's movement.

Like any other pokemon, the animation frame rate is tied to how far away you are from them. This interacts real weird with how they roll, because it looks like there's some sort of distance per animation frame calculation there for them. In that once the animation starts to lose frames, each frame starts contributing a lot of distance. Probably a lot more than intended.

So I have seen a number of spheals run/roll away, and then at a certain distance they start going real fast.

Like, "accidentally climb a very steep slope" fast.

• Options
    Like I said before, I want a freaking update on Detective Pikachu Switch. They announced it forever ago and have released absolutely zero information on it.

• Options
    Like I said before, I want a freaking update on Detective Pikachu Switch. They announced it forever ago and have released absolutely zero information on it.

There was this update

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/02/detective-pikachu-2-is-still-in-the-works-apparently

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

There was this update

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/02/detective-pikachu-2-is-still-in-the-works-apparently

Yeah but it didn't say anything. Yeah, I know they're working on it. I still don't even know what the game is though. They sort of indicated it might be the first game ported to Switch + a new game, but it was never super clear if this was the case. And they haven't talked about it since :/ I just wanna know... also like a couple screenshots or something would be nice...

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    So I am resetting an outbreak of spheal to try and catch a shiny, and noticed something about the way the game handles spheal's movement.

Like any other pokemon, the animation frame rate is tied to how far away you are from them. This interacts real weird with how they roll, because it looks like there's some sort of distance per animation frame calculation there for them. In that once the animation starts to lose frames, each frame starts contributing a lot of distance. Probably a lot more than intended.

So I have seen a number of spheals run/roll away, and then at a certain distance they start going real fast.

Like, "accidentally climb a very steep slope" fast.

Spheal might be the breakout hit of that game for me, honestly. There's a ton of Pokemon I already loved in this game, but Spheal was kind of an under-the-radar Mon for me. But watching them cheerfully roll around the beach, and then that quest at Coronet where you chase after one, gave me a lot of appreciation for it.

• Options
    Whoever did the animation for a wild Shinx being challenged to battle is a goddamned genius. That bugger is so frickin cute

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Give Alpha Lopunny a berry. Its possibly the most adorable and horrible thing youll ever experience

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Man, all this pokemon hype is getting me wanting to re-try Sword and Shield. I think I got up to the Fairy Gym before getting bored? But I kinda want to start over. For awhile I've had this idea that I want to make a team of "food" pokemon and see if I can make that work (i.e. Cherrim, Vanilluxe, Alcremie, Appletun, etc). I kinda want to try it :3 Also if I already have my team mostly pre-picked out then I don't have to spend time roaming the Wild Area and hating the game a super lot because it won't let me catch anything (just enough to get the pokemon I need for the team).

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Appletun did a lot of work for me in story stuff.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    We capture Pokemon so we can better learn how to be friends with them!

also

If you want to capture a Pokemon easier, bean it in the face with this hard-packed ball of mud!

That's how I made all my real life friends
    I bet Arceus will get a handful of those (if not all?). New DLC, I feel they've gotta add in more Pokemon. That's like a minimum requisite for Pokemon DLC I feel. Otherwise what's the point? "Here's a new area with pokemon you can catch somewhere else" :P

Edit: Oh man, I love this:

Looks like they are doing some artwork for the upcoming Pokemon Day. These look great :D Makes me miss those animated shorts they did awhile back (art style kinda reminds me of them).

they're still doing animated shorts
    there's at least 3 or 4 series, total, and one-offs coming all the time.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022

They are? It's not like, just the anime, right? I'm specifically thinking of like the multi-part Pokemon Origins (I think that was the title? The one that retold Pokemon Red) and all those little shorts they did covering a bunch of different small stories from several gens (like the police trying to track down Giovanni, etc.. I really wanna re-watch these at some point)

Warlock82 on
  • Options

They are? It's not like, just the anime, right? I'm specifically thinking of like the multi-part Pokemon Origins (I think that was the title? The one that retold Pokemon Red) and all those little shorts they did covering a bunch of different small stories from several gens (like the police trying to track down Giovanni, etc.. I really wanna re-watch these at some point)

There was this Bidoof short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTidwW3iLHk

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Hmmm interesting...

Edit: I wish their youtube page was a little more organized... I'm seeing several things that look like they could be shorts but they are mixed up in several different playlists including one just called "Pokemon Animation" which has a bunch of episodes of the anime in it but also other stuff -_-

I'm gonna go with "Pokemon Originals" as probably the best playlist to check for now tho. I can't tell if this Pokemon Evolutions is another shorts series or what either.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yes, there is a ton of new stuff that's NOT related to Ash and co.
    Origins, Evolutions, Wings of smth, plus the one offs.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Ended up starting up a new game of Shield last night. First off, ffs pokemon, let me make two saves. I didn't want to erase my old save so I had to make my game on my alt account (the one I use to download Japanese stuff on eShop) which doesn't have any online features or any other save stuff (I literally reinstalled Let's Go Eevee to make a save on that account so I could unlock that stuff)

I don't know why but the lack of voice acting really bothers me. It did originally too I remember. For whatever reason it does less so in Arceus, not sure why.

Having fun so far though. HATE the like hour of forced tutorials... FFS game, I've not only played a pokemon game before, I've played YOU before. I know how to catch a pokemon (why do they literally never weaken it? Every single game...). Remembering why I hated the Wild Area (I know my ice cream cones are there but I also know they're too high level). But no online means no crippling lag I guess? I suppose dens are going to be hard AF tho.

I will say, kinda knowing what team I'm going to be using is nice. There is less pressure to hang around catching everything (I am still trying to catch at least one of everything I can tho) and I can just move on with the story faster. That's nice. I think I might enjoy things better if I'm not spending so much time in the wild area...

Also getting Alcremie is gonna be a pain cuz I gotta wait for the damn battle cafe to give me the item I want to evolve it -_-

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Ended up starting up a new game of Shield last night. First off, ffs pokemon, let me make two saves. I didn't want to erase my old save so I had to make my game on my alt account (the one I use to download Japanese stuff on eShop) which doesn't have any online features or any other save stuff (I literally reinstalled Let's Go Eevee to make a save on that account so I could unlock that stuff)

I don't know why but the lack of voice acting really bothers me. It did originally too I remember. For whatever reason it does less so in Arceus, not sure why.

Having fun so far though. HATE the like hour of forced tutorials... FFS game, I've not only played a pokemon game before, I've played YOU before. I know how to catch a pokemon (why do they literally never weaken it? Every single game...). Remembering why I hated the Wild Area (I know my ice cream cones are there but I also know they're too high level). But no online means no crippling lag I guess? I suppose dens are going to be hard AF tho.

I will say, kinda knowing what team I'm going to be using is nice. There is less pressure to hang around catching everything (I am still trying to catch at least one of everything I can tho) and I can just move on with the story faster. That's nice. I think I might enjoy things better if I'm not spending so much time in the wild area...

Also getting Alcremie is gonna be a pain cuz I gotta wait for the damn battle cafe to give me the item I want to evolve it -_-

You don't need the online features to do online trading though, so you could always have a pal trade you whichever of the Alcremie items you want. Not like they're expensive or difficult to find.