As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The little crystal turtle [Pokémon] is pretty cute.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    In any case I may have over leveled by a bit... The Elite 4 were the easiest I've ever encountered. Same with the next two fights.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    urahonky wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Are you fuckin kidding me? You have to take a test before you fight the Elite 4 and you have to pass in order to go forward? How fucking lame.

The test is on the level of 'what is your name?' so I think it's more of a wasted potential than a poor mechanic.

You remembered the names of the gyms, the leaders and what types? If you paid me $1M per correct guess I wouldn't be able to name any of the gym names. Let alone the name of the leaders... And then their types.

Surely you remembered Larry? :3 (actually I do remember most of the gym leaders in this game... they were all super memorable this time around)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Rami wrote: »
    Are you fuckin kidding me? You have to take a test before you fight the Elite 4 and you have to pass in order to go forward? How fucking lame.

The test is on the level of 'what is your name?' so I think it's more of a wasted potential than a poor mechanic.

You remembered the names of the gyms, the leaders and what types? If you paid me $1M per correct guess I wouldn't be able to name any of the gym names. Let alone the name of the leaders... And then their types.

Surely you remembered Larry? :3 (actually I do remember most of the gym leaders in this game... they were all super memorable this time around)

I have brain rot so while yes I remember him when he showed up at the end there's no possible way that I would have actually remembered his name and what gym and even what type he used.

I don't even know what region the game takes place in lol.

urahonky on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    It makes sense you don't remember the names if you've been on the playthrough since november/december

It was easy when I finished it, but I wouldn't remember anything today

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Finally fired up Violet. Critter catching feels great and I love all the QoL touches, but holy crap, the performance of this thing. Seems like the frame rate drops to double digits whenever a cutscene fades out.

At any rate, is there such a thing as a non-spoilery list of Pokemon in this game that have weird evolution requirements? You know, rub them endlessly, trade them while holding the Ark of the Covenant while praying the other person doesn't screw you over, etc.?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    It really depends on what you consider spoilery. Are you fine with just knowing the names of the Pokemon? If so, this should be a complete list of the new, obscure ones:
    Gimmighoul evolves once you collect 999 Gimmighoul coins and level up.
    Bramblin, Pawmo, and Rellor all have to be let out of their balls and walked for 1000 steps and then leveled up
    Finizen - Level to 38 while playing in multiplayer

Then there's a couple older pokemon who got evolutions:
    Primape - use Rage Fist 20 times and then level up
    Dunsparce - level up after learning Hyper Drill
    Bisharp - use Bisharp to faint 3 wild Bisharp that have groups of Pawniards around them
    Girafarig - level up after learning Twin Beam

• Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    It really depends on what you consider spoilery. Are you fine with just knowing the names of the Pokemon? If so, this should be a complete list of the new, obscure ones:
    Gimmighoul evolves once you collect 999 Gimmighoul coins and level up.
    Bramblin, Pawmo, and Rellor all have to be let out of their balls and walked for 1000 steps and then leveled up
    Finizen - Level to 38 while playing in multiplayer

Then there's a couple older pokemon who got evolutions:
    Primape - use Rage Fist 20 times and then level up
    Dunsparce - level up after learning Hyper Drill
    Bisharp - use Bisharp to faint 3 wild Bisharp that have groups of Pawniards around them
    Girafarig - level up after learning Twin Beam

Names are fine, so this is a big help! (I was already spoiled on Dunsparce - that's hilarious.)

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Finally cleared through my Boxes of botched Zorua after hours of hatching.

Actually filling up on the correct Eggs this time made sure to triple check H-Zorua was holding the everstone. Probably going to surprise trade out 2 out of every 5 i hatch just to get some H Zorua into the wild. Doubt i'm the only one doing it but it can't hurt.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Finally fired up Violet. Critter catching feels great and I love all the QoL touches, but holy crap, the performance of this thing. Seems like the frame rate drops to double digits whenever a cutscene fades out.

At any rate, is there such a thing as a non-spoilery list of Pokemon in this game that have weird evolution requirements? You know, rub them endlessly, trade them while holding the Ark of the Covenant while praying the other person doesn't screw you over, etc.?

There's a couple of new Pokemon (including one that's findable early on and may be very desirable) that evolves by walking around with you outside its Pokeball for... I think the game says 1000 steps, but basically just run in a big loop around a city for like 5 minutes without getting too far away (if it returns to its Pokeball automatically, the step count is broken). Annoyingly, this cannot be done piecemeal, gotta be all at once. Then it'll evolve next level.

The three Pokemon with this requirement are spoilered here:
    Pawmo, Bramblin, and Rellor. Pawmo is the one I said might be desirable because of its typing.

EDIT: whoops, that's what I get for not reloading.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    This Area Zero battle music fuckin slaps man.

• Options
    I've just about filled a box full of Pokemon and I haven't even gotten to the school yet.

Like, I'm not avoiding the school, I'm just wandering around the low-level areas near it catching everything I don't have.

Am I screwing myself over? Or will I manage to auto-complete a ton of quests?

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    You're going to make an incidental line of dialog ironically amusing.
    The headmaster expresses his disappointment in your tardiness for your first day of school.

... at the Pokemon trainers' academy.

... because you were running around collecting Pokemon.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I've just about filled a box full of Pokemon and I haven't even gotten to the school yet.

Like, I'm not avoiding the school, I'm just wandering around the low-level areas near it catching everything I don't have.

Spend as much time dicking around as you want! The game is a real "at your own pace" experience. There's also no real quests around catching certain things, beyond the rewards you get for 'dex completion. With that in mind, periodically check your Pokedex progress rewards - go into your Pokkedex and hit X, I believe, and you will be given rewards for every 10 or so new entries.

The only concern with taking things slow is if you want battles to be difficult. Overleveling is decently easy to do and an trivialize some content (not that Pokemon games are difficult in the first place).

Cruor on
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Spend as much time dicking around as you want! The game is a real "at your own pace" experience. There's also no real quests around catching certain things, beyond the rewards you get for 'dex completion. With that in mind, periodically check your Pokedex progress rewards - go into your Pokkedex and hit X, I believe, and you will be given rewards for every 10 or so new entries.

The only concern with taking things slow is if you want battles to be difficult. Overleveling is decently easy to do and an trivialize some content (not that Pokemon games are difficult in the first place).

Wut?

I had like 300 pokemon caught so I got a few nice things haha. Thanks!

urahonky on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i think its the minus key to open the other window and then X to get rewards every 10-ish pokemon found. also completing all the classes at the academy gets you some stuff. it felt tedious to me and the rewards weren't worth it by the time i went back and did them, except for one.

• Options
    Yeah I was doing the class thing but it was basically load screen after load screen. Like 10 different subjects and 8 classes each... NO thanks.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Yeah I was doing the class thing but it was basically load screen after load screen. Like 10 different subjects and 8 classes each... NO thanks.

You do get a pokemon not native to the game by doing them and a few other nice things

And uh a cup for picnics that is very much not worth what you give up for it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular

You do get a pokemon not native to the game by doing them and a few other nice things

And uh a cup for picnics that is very much not worth what you give up for it

I finally completed that quest just the other day.

Cool, thanks for the cup I guess.

• Options
    Credits roll! Great game. If they ever remaster one in the future I hope it's this.

• Options
    Left the city toward the bug gym. There's one thing that I've noticed about this gen, even early in the game - holy shit there are a LOT of dog Pokemon. There's at least two new sets of dogs, and I haven't even encountered the ghost dog I was spoiled on. And Houndour, and Growlithe, and what else?

Not that I'm complaining. GIVE ME ALL THE GOOD DOGGOS.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    You forgot Rockruff.

Yes, Team Good Boy has never been more viable. Just need a Water type and Bolthund to be added to the Paldeadex and you could build a full balanced team of doggos.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    You forgot Rockruff.

Yes, Team Good Boy has never been more viable. Just need a Water type and Bolthund to be added to the Paldeadex and you could build a full balanced team of doggos.

Ghost, rock, fairy, fire/dark, fire, dark. That's six, though Houndour is kind of redundant. The lack of any of the normal type dog lines is telling. Although Eevee is... well, it's clearly dog-adjacent.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    If you wanna get a lil weird with it Lucario is a kinda a jackal which is a dog too

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    You forgot Rockruff.

Ghost, rock, fairy, fire/dark, fire, dark. That's six, though Houndour is kind of redundant. The lack of any of the normal type dog lines is telling. Although Eevee is... well, it's clearly dog-adjacent.

Furfrou is not on S/V?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    You forgot Rockruff.

Furfrou is not on S/V?

Nope. Nor Stoutland.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    You forgot Rockruff.

Furfrou is not on S/V?

Furfrou isn’t in ANY Switch Pokemon title.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    I know I said the music wasn't very good but I definitely have some songs stuck in my head from the game and I haven't played the game in a few days.

• Options
    So do the cyclemon have some sort of booster on them I don't know about? I'm at the area west of the main city, and I keep seeing items across gaps that are juuuuust too wide to make.

• Options
    So do the cyclemon have some sort of booster on them I don't know about? I'm at the area west of the main city, and I keep seeing items across gaps that are juuuuust too wide to make.

Defeating the Titan Pokemon unlocks different traversal methods for your cyclemon.

• Options

Defeating the Titan Pokemon unlocks different traversal methods for your cyclemon.

Ah, whew. I didn't know if that was the case or this was another example of jank, since I kept coming short by what seemed like a few pixels. Glad it's the former!

• Options
    Fantastic new Pokemon name:
    Scovillain. Just beautiful.

Also the classes at school have been dead easy, but I did have to look up one answer:
    cheugy-answer-scarlet-and-violet.large.jpg

God, I'm old.

Funny thing is that all the SEO-chasing websites that blast out infinite blathery articles for every single video game question put out articles for this too.

• Options
    ...wait, is there no way to request a trade for a specific pokemon? The only options I'm finding are surprise trade or friend link trade.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    There is no GTS, no

Hopefully the connection to Pokemon Home comes soon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    There is no GTS, no

...well, fuck, I can forget about ever getting a Gengar, then.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    There is no GTS, no

There's an in-game trade you can do to get a Gengar.

Someone wants a Pincurchin in Levincia City and will trade you a Haunter that will evolve.

Taya on
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    People have also been using a workaround by setting passwords in the random trade which correlate to the pokedex number of the pokemon they want to trade (so if you wanted to trade, say, koraidon for miraidon you'd open a trade with the password 0399-0400) but it's pretty clunky. Home access can't come fast enough.

• Options
    Taya wrote: »
    There is no GTS, no

There's an in-game trade you can do to get a Gengar.

Someone wants a Pincurchin in Levincia City and will trade you a Haunter that will evolve.

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    People have also been using a workaround by setting passwords in the random trade which correlate to the pokedex number of the pokemon they want to trade (so if you wanted to trade, say, koraidon for miraidon you'd open a trade with the password 0399-0400) but it's pretty clunky. Home access can't come fast enough.

Whew. So my struggles to catch two surprise Bagons four levels above me (one for trade) wasn't for nothing, then.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Home support should be coming extremely soon. I feel like they've promised it by April (probably sometime mid-April). Not that the Home updates are ever timely (god remember how long it took to get Arceus/BDSP support?)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Home support should be coming extremely soon. I feel like they've promised it by April (probably sometime mid-April). Not that the Home updates are ever timely (god remember how long it took to get Arceus/BDSP support?)

They said early next year so honestly they could mean June and still pretend thats in the window

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.