As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮- Anno:Mutationem, Onde, Shredders & Battle Bands out today!

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Wait you can get a katana at the mall

well not anymore, there's no malls

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Capitalriel my good friend, welcome to the world of the mall ninja.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Mall ninjas were not very good at stealth back in the day, but nowadays they are excellent.

Look around all you want, can’t find a single mall ninja anymore. They got too good.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was driving my nephews to the bone museum the other day and we passed the Old Paris Flea Market. They asked what a flea market is and I told them it was a hundred garage sales plus three dudes selling bootleg tshirts and throwing stars and I'm surprised they didn't wrest the steering wheel out of my hands then and there.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Don’t forget the one dude selling an unnerving collection of animal bones.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    thinking about the life of someone who understands the phrase Bone Museum but not Flea market

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    There are many flea markets, but there is only one Museum of Osteology. Accept no substitutes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

Never dated a goth girl I see

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That is wholly unsurprising, because I can tell you in a professional capacity, DD is a huge fucking toolbag. Fuck him and his scam game.

You can't just say those and not give us more details! (Unless this based off already established idiocy like the toilet incident which yep)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

Dating isn't real though pip

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That is wholly unsurprising, because I can tell you in a professional capacity, DD is a huge fucking toolbag. Fuck him and his scam game.

You can't just say those and not give us more details! (Unless this based off already established idiocy like the toilet incident which yep)

Part of my previous job was… ugh… “influencer relations.”

He was just a giant, self important twerp to deal with. More so than most influencers. Which is saying a lot!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I loved Long Live The Queen and Black Closet, two games with heavily branching and systemic narratives and a lot of juicy melodrama, mystery and romance. Now developers Hanako Games have released something new. Night Cascades is a lesbian romance about two women investigating a supernatural mystery in an alternate 1980s, and it looks great.
    Https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/night-cascades-is-a-supernatural-mystery-from-the-maker-of-long-live-the-queen

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Man, I wish.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Griphook: "The right to carry a wand has long been contested between wizards and goblins."
    Ronald Weasley: "Well, goblins can do magic without wands."
    Griphook: "That is immaterial! Wizards refuse to share the secrets of wandlore with other magical beings, they deny us the possibility of extending our powers!"
    — Griphook's opinion on how wizards and witches have treated goblins unfairly[src]
    Villainous goblin has a good point.

Edit:
    He became a temporary acting Minister for Magic in 1752, and later was elected a regular Minister several times after his predecessor Basil Flack was forced to resign after two months, during the height of the Goblin Rebellions (the goblins had just joined forces with the werewolves). Gore successfully put down a number of revolts by the magical beings, although historians feel his refusal to contemplate rehabilitation programmes for werewolves ultimately led to more attacks.[2] One such revolt took place in 1762, in which goblin rebel Vargot was killed in battle — a popular historical theory that may have not been proved is that Vargot was really a renegade house-elf.[4]
    Harry Potter lore is batshit in a bad way.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

I loved Long Live The Queen and Black Closet, two games with heavily branching and systemic narratives and a lot of juicy melodrama, mystery and romance. Now developers Hanako Games have released something new. Night Cascades is a lesbian romance about two women investigating a supernatural mystery in an alternate 1980s, and it looks great.
    Https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/night-cascades-is-a-supernatural-mystery-from-the-maker-of-long-live-the-queen

Man, I don't know if I'm hardcore enough for that. Long Live the Queen pretty much broke me. It's the Dark Souls of computer games.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

Man, I don't know if I'm hardcore enough for that. Long Live the Queen pretty much broke me. It's the Dark Souls of computer games.

It’s about time someone made a dark souls of computer games.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Well good news, Long Live the Queen is it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I beat long live the queen my first time through. I am the prettiest anime princess, it turns out

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    it's also extremely confusing that there's any human/wizard pairings at all considering at no point in the franchise does it indicate that wizards have any remote interest in living in the regular world

You just find a comely looking muggle and then kidnap them

Love potions do the rest

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I beat long live the queen my first time through. I am the prettiest anime princess, it turns out

My all falconry playthrough did not go swimmingly.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I picked deviation and lumen my first time through. turns out divination and lumen solve all of your problems!

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    When you have magical powers every problem looks like a magical nail

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    I don't remember what I chose but I died horribly ten different ways, so it presumably wasn't those.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    I managed to get an ending but it was kinda boring, and all my attempts to get other endings were met with horrible deaths, so I just kinda gave up after a while. Although, maybe being a magical girl and saving the kingdom with the power of song being a boring ending says things about me...

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Wasn't this the dirtbag that was filming himself in a public bathroom where kids were using the facilities?

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yep

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I just don't understand why WB decided to spend money on that. Like, there is no part of this that ends with them looking good, and it's possible they may not make much money, even though they might.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022

All Fortnite proceeds from Epic and Microsoft from today until April 3rd are being donated to humanitarian relief for Ukraine
    Today is the start of a new Fortnite season, which is probably the most profitable part of every season, because everyone is buying the battle pass and new skins. This could be A LOT of money.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    this unexpected largess reminds me, how is the epic vs apple court case going

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I have a racoon skull along with some mystery bones in my car in the center console. Maybe vulture bones? I dunno, I found em on the roof at work so they're either a vulture's or something they brought up there and ate/vomited. My best friend also found some random animal bones at work and she keeps em in her car too

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I just don't understand why WB decided to spend money on that. Like, there is no part of this that ends with them looking good, and it's possible they may not make much money, even though they might.

Assuming we're talking about the Hogwarts game, it's absolutely going to make a lot of money, and it's probably best to brace yourself for that now. People still love that universe and people are extremely good at justifying buying things they want to buy to themselves.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    One thing I'd say about the Hogwarts game is that there are fundamental pillars to the world-building that just don't work and increasingly don't work as people look at it. Many of these get worse if you go back in time, unless they do what the Star Trek reboot did and intentionally split off from the timeline. I can look at the premise of the game, where you're tasked with helping to stop a goblin rebellion and then, over the course of the game, realize that the goblins are in the right. For all of the original series' problems with race, it did at least concede that racism was actually bad and that, you know, the house elves were hard done by, even if it was less, "these people are oppressed," and more, "you can tell this person is bad because he abuses his dog." There's a path forward where, divorced from JK Rowling's direct influence, you can make some changes and tell a slightly more complicated story.

The one-two punch of this having to exist as a prequel to the existing series, meaning that some stuff is probably just...set in stone, and the fact that video games have a terrible history with telling stories about things like rebellions for a multitude of reasons, means that even if they do go, "well, the goblins have a point," they'll probably also follow it up with something like, "but the goblin just attacked an orphanage, so even if he's right, he's gone ]i]too far[/i]

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Girlfriend Reviews on Elden Ring

https://youtu.be/IYlGsVud_QU

As a certified Baby Gamer Who is Bad, this is the first thing I've seen of this game that makes me tempted to buy it. But I have a real mental block about not wanting to try any other Fromsoft games until unless I manage to beat Dark Souls first.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    fromsoft fans have made it pretty clear that my tendency to play games on lower difficulty settings is actually a moral failing on my part, and also killing art somehow, so I'm good with never touching their work

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    One thing I'd say about the Hogwarts game is that there are fundamental pillars to the world-building that just don't work and increasingly don't work as people look at it. Many of these get worse if you go back in time, unless they do what the Star Trek reboot did and intentionally split off from the timeline. I can look at the premise of the game, where you're tasked with helping to stop a goblin rebellion and then, over the course of the game, realize that the goblins are in the right. For all of the original series' problems with race, it did at least concede that racism was actually bad and that, you know, the house elves were hard done by, even if it was less, "these people are oppressed," and more, "you can tell this person is bad because he abuses his dog." There's a path forward where, divorced from JK Rowling's direct influence, you can make some changes and tell a slightly more complicated story.

The one-two punch of this having to exist as a prequel to the existing series, meaning that some stuff is probably just...set in stone, and the fact that video games have a terrible history with telling stories about things like rebellions for a multitude of reasons, means that even if they do go, "well, the goblins have a point," they'll probably also follow it up with something like, "but the goblin just attacked an orphanage, so even if he's right, he's gone ]i]too far[/i]

The thing is that the license holders and Rowling herself don’t seem to realise why Harry Potter was popular. Exemplified by the abomination that is the fantastic beasts series

And it’s not really the extended lore and world building that fans like, not deep down. Instead it’s specifically the setting of Hogwarts as it is in the books related to Harry Potter and his friends and foes. Most of the “world building” that’s fun or memorable is off hand stuff that’s not delved into because it’s a kids adventure setting first and foremost. Trying to focus on the lore, explaining it, fleshing it out, is something that’s not in anyones interests, even if it was done well and they somehow managed to patchwork together a decent setting. It’s just not the point, people are here for butterbears and silly spells, any effort spent on anything other than that, and of having a likeable group of core characters do adventurous things is a waste of everyone’s time.

Also the setting isn’t just “magic world”. Harry Potter set in any time really prior to maybe Harry’s parents generation is just not going to feel the same, and capture the same feeling as the original books. To work it also needs the idea of a kind of vague “current/modern” world, and escaping from that into a magical vaguely medieval (but the fun kind) world. It’s that transition, that contrast, that’s the heart of the settings appeal.

The fantastic beasts movies are absolute disasters on every level, but they also just miss that an important part of the setting that fans like is the modern world and how the kind of old timey magic world contrasts with it. That and it’s not set in a school, with kids!

The game is at least set in a magic school, but it should be set in the modern world to get the full use out of the setting. Most fans of Harry Potter have very little interest in the extended world building outside of how it relates to the core gang of heroes. And so if you can’t use them, or their kids, or their parents, you’re going to have an uphill battle getting it to work

also most fans LIKE that the origins and roots, no matter how “dark and adult” it gets, are firmly within a kids book. Stop making things about genocide and rebellions, start making things fucking light and fun again, and then see if you have enough support and grounding to go anywhere even remotely young adult with it

I have no doubt Rowlings iron grip on controlling anything related to Harry Potter and his friends means that all new projects will be garbage, because fans want to see the heroes, or characters relating to those heroes. And tangential straw grabbing, like having young dumbedore but he’s not really anything like the dumbedore fans liked, isn’t going to cut it.

Prohass on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I still believe "rockstar's bully but magic" is a sound concept that should be explored fully

edit: and to be clear, this upcoming game very much isn't that

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I still believe "rockstar's bully but magic" is a sound concept that should be explored fully

You’re going to Hogwarts, but you’re Harry’s kids and hermoine and Ron’s kids. It’s your first year, and a sinister plot is afoot in Hogwarts!

There, print money WB

Likely they’re saving this for a new movie series, or Rowling wants control of it for a book series though

But hell, choose any character and follow them. Harry’s parents during the first rise of Voldemort. Maybe the new generation but just not the main crew, have Luna lovegoods kids, or so on and so forth. Also maybe have your main character to start in the muggle world, and have a similar introduction to the world of wizardry that Harry did. Because that’s part of the fun!

I imagine Rowling would shut all this down as she’d want to protect these plot threads for herself tho

I just really hate the idea of setting it in the 1890s. It’s like a hat on a hat for the setting

Prohass on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Also, Harry should have to practice kissing with Draco, or whatever that minigame was.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Also, Harry should have to practice kissing with Draco, or whatever that minigame was.

Help Dumbledore hook up with some guy

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

Help Dumbledore hook up with some guy

Honestly helping two teachers who are too befuddled or nervous to like go on a date, playing Cupid, would genuinely be great and work with the setting. It’s just such a waste to have it some dumb war or rebellion happen in it. Just have school stuff! At worst a spooky dungeon with a moustache twirling villain

This discussion has been closed.