As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker! patch 6.2 out

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Yeah, it is. And the raids are still fun, atmospheric, and have nice gear. I’m just kinda salty about the stuff that didn’t get resolved. I spent the post-story weeks sure that they’d tie up some of the loose ends, and explain something more about how any of this showed up; the first few weeks of it was pointing that way. But they just kinda stopped, it feels.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    My partner is finally giving this a fair shake in the free trial. She played a lot of SWTOR, so everything in this game is just weird to her, but she's getting the hang of things. She complains a lot about navigating, but I showed her the [map]-button in the quest log and that has made things a bit easier.

She just tanked her first dungeon yesterday with me riding shotgun as healer and it went pretty well. The DPS were very nice to her, despite her having trouble aiming her AoEs properly and moving the camera around so there's no bioluminescent coral reefs in the way. It's still pretty daunting for her, but I think that The Smith and the slow drip of new skills allow her to get a good sense of what her role is supposed to.

Story-wise she's not impressed yet, but I told her to expect as much and that it's building up to better things. Especially those 2.0 cutscenes are just so slow. When you hand a regular, boring letter to some head honcho it takes like a full minute for them to go "mkay, thx eh. Off you go then" She spent an hour in the Golden Saucer this morning and now she isn't sure if she can take the game seriously, immediately followed by laughing her ass off when she unlocked the Aesthetician. I hope I'm setting her up well enough for when (2.0 spoilers)
    Waking Sands gets attacked and some other serious bits of the story get going.
    . I told her before that I like Final Fantasies because of the combination of coolness, whimsy and melodrama. Not sure I could I ever explain myself as well as just playing damned game for yourself does.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    GF got to Shadowbringers and I really wanted to see her reaction to
    Tesleen. But I think a lot of us deeply embedded in this game's culture and storytelling methods forget just how PG-13 that scene is to relative outsiders. A lot of us act like it's totally gross body horror, but it barely registered with her. Objectively:
    1. She coughs up a bunch of white stuff
    2. Her eyes turn white and her face gets caked over
    3. Her skin starts to glow and her hair falls out??? (occurs off camera)
    4. There's a feathery egg
    5. She hatches as a sin eater (with her hair back for some reason?)

I've heard rumors that the original storyboards were more grotesque and the had to tune it down to keep the PEGI-16 rating. Really makes me curious what that would have looked like.

She also, since arriving, has been playing with the damn Scion Traveler's Hood on. She thinks it's hilarious every time someone is like "Is that you, WoL?". At one point someone says something like "I can see it in your eyes" and she just turned to look at me with a grin on her face. She knows exactly what she's doing. :x

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah, it is. And the raids are still fun, atmospheric, and have nice gear. I’m just kinda salty about the stuff that didn’t get resolved. I spent the post-story weeks sure that they’d tie up some of the loose ends, and explain something more about how any of this showed up; the first few weeks of it was pointing that way. But they just kinda stopped, it feels.

Yeah it was disappointing. Best I can figure about the how and why of the story:
    the last boss is an incarnation of the goddess of destruction from the drakengard games, travels by various means to different dimensions and sings her song to destroy them, a kind of interdimensional virus. 2P AKA The Red Girl is some sort of important deep nier/drakengard lore character that works for her I guess? And hijacked the orb to send it to other dimensions to summon the goddess, which happened to be the FF14 dimension this time. I think the orb is a self-replicating construction system originally intended to create the machine lifeforms, but 2B and 9S infiltrated it and uploaded themselves as a virus as well, so they'd be replicated along with the machine lifeforms wherever the orbs end up. Some of this might be from nier or drakengard game lore, I haven't finished any of those except drakengard 1, 20 years ago lol.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I'm so glad I randomly unlocked Red Mage. It's perfect my Gish-y little heart

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Nier raid aftermath spoilers
    Weren't the twin dwarves supposed to represent (or possibly literally be) those twin androids from Nier that everyone blames for everything and hates?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Yeah it was disappointing. Best I can figure about the how and why of the story:
    the last boss is an incarnation of the goddess of destruction from the drakengard games, travels by various means to different dimensions and sings her song to destroy them, a kind of interdimensional virus. 2P AKA The Red Girl is some sort of important deep nier/drakengard lore character that works for her I guess? And hijacked the orb to send it to other dimensions to summon the goddess, which happened to be the FF14 dimension this time. I think the orb is a self-replicating construction system originally intended to create the machine lifeforms, but 2B and 9S infiltrated it and uploaded themselves as a virus as well, so they'd be replicated along with the machine lifeforms wherever the orbs end up. Some of this might be from nier or drakengard game lore, I haven't finished any of those except drakengard 1, 20 years ago lol.
    The orbs are the Seeds of Destruction from Drakengard 1, a kind of mcguffin that can turn a person into some kind of god/demon thing and also replicate them...They weren't really properly explained in that game either lol

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Shenl742 wrote: »

The orbs are the Seeds of Destruction from Drakengard 1, a kind of mcguffin that can turn a person into some kind of god/demon thing and also replicate them...They weren't really properly explained in that game either lol
    Nothing Yoko Taro puts out is ever really properly explained in the way that most people expect, so I'm still left wondering how the expectations for this one ended up being so far afield from what he's always done

• Options

ahhhhhh right now I remember them. So the seeds of destruction are how the goddess of destruction propagates to new dimensions IIRC. I'm not sure how the machines and 2B+9S ended up inside of one but presumably that's something from late in automata or completely new story.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Javen wrote: »

Nothing Yoko Taro puts out is ever really properly explained in the way that most people expect, so I'm still left wondering how the expectations for this one ended up being so far afield from what he's always done

Yep. I feel like the whole raid was just an excuse to put in as many Yoko Taro references in one place as possible, and we're not really meant to understand how exactly they all relate to each other in this specific context

Shenl742 on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I got to Heavensward (I'm very early in HW):
    All that shit was dramatic, but felt slightly off. i guess because Teledji Adeledji was a puppet for the actual conspiracy. But the way everyone just kind of nodded along with him was pretty aggravating. You'd think the Warrior of Light and Raubahn denouncing him would at least throw enough of a wrench in the works to keep us out of jail. People love me, we can make our own case against him. The whole arm thing was again dramatic but kind of silly. And while I understand Merylwyb and Kan-E-Senna noping out, it was still pretty disappointing.

Alphinaud suuuucks. Why anyone let this boy establish his own private army is beyond me. I was very tired of him ordering me around by the end of A Realm Restored and I hope he takes a backseat here in Ishgard. Him trying to dress down the Eorzean leaders for not helping Ishgard (more), when Ishgard repeatedly and pointedly refused any offer of alliance, was stupid. Maybe it's because they throw around the word 'heretic' too much, but I remain unconvinced that Ishgard is any good at all, and the only reason to save it is the civilians. You have to prop it up because you simply can't deal with more refugees, that's already a crisis. Beyond that, fuck 'em.

Moenbryda was the best Scion and the fact that they introduced her and killed her within a few hours was narratively criminal. Roegadyn representation now!

Just to confirm some things that the game implies but doesn't actually say:
    Louisoix is the guy in the intro video who tries to shield Bahamut and then gets whited out?
    Alphinaud (and Alisae) are his grandkids?
    Louisoix was an Scion of the Seventh Dawn? The leader?

I'm not going to look this stuff up because I'm sure it's heavy spoilers at this point.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Correct on all points about Louisoix, he didn't found the scions but the scions were formed in his memory by his disciples, all the main characters in there were his students in 1.0.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    I got to Heavensward (I'm very early in HW):
    All that shit was dramatic, but felt slightly off. i guess because Teledji Adeledji was a puppet for the actual conspiracy. But the way everyone just kind of nodded along with him was pretty aggravating. You'd think the Warrior of Light and Raubahn denouncing him would at least throw enough of a wrench in the works to keep us out of jail. People love me, we can make our own case against him. The whole arm thing was again dramatic but kind of silly. And while I understand Merylwyb and Kan-E-Senna noping out, it was still pretty disappointing.

Alphinaud suuuucks. Why anyone let this boy establish his own private army is beyond me. I was very tired of him ordering me around by the end of A Realm Restored and I hope he takes a backseat here in Ishgard. Him trying to dress down the Eorzean leaders for not helping Ishgard (more), when Ishgard repeatedly and pointedly refused any offer of alliance, was stupid. Maybe it's because they throw around the word 'heretic' too much, but I remain unconvinced that Ishgard is any good at all, and the only reason to save it is the civilians. You have to prop it up because you simply can't deal with more refugees, that's already a crisis. Beyond that, fuck 'em.

Moenbryda was the best Scion and the fact that they introduced her and killed her within a few hours was narratively criminal. Roegadyn representation now!

Just to confirm some things that the game implies but doesn't actually say:
    Louisoix is the guy in the intro video who tries to shield Bahamut and then gets whited out?
    Alphinaud (and Alisae) are his grandkids?
    Louisoix was an Scion of the Seventh Dawn? The leader?

I'm not going to look this stuff up because I'm sure it's heavy spoilers at this point.

All those things about Louisioix are correct.
    Have you played the Binding Coil raids? Because they go a lot into what went on during the big fight with Bahamut and lots of lore surrounding it. It's super difficult to actually get others to play it though...so if you're interested you may be better off watching scenes online

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    The Nier raids added a bunch of good music to the game so as far as I'm concerned they were a success

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

Yep. I feel like the whole raid was just an excuse to put in as many Yoko Taro references in one place as possible, and we're not really meant to understand how exactly they all relate to each other in this specific context

I know people hate the story of the ShB alliance raids, but I’ll still say it made more sense than the SB ones.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    The Nier raids added a bunch of good music to the game so as far as I'm concerned they were a success

And good Glams.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Stuff like Nier and Automata still actually have like, explanations for the how and when of things. Maybe in supplemental material, but the games themselves still do have like, a proper ending to whatever emotional arc it's going for. You don't particularly need to know all about how Drakengard's ending fucked up the world of Nier in order to follow that game's plot or know how bad the Shadowlord plan goes. But that info is there in side material if you want it.

In comparison, the Dark Apocalypse raid story just kinda stops. I know that expecting a happy ending for Anogg and/or Konogg is like expecting a happy ending in an opera. But the way it goes about is considerably vaguer than the norm for Yoko Taro games.

Also, there's some stuff blatantly unfinished. We had several weeks getting hints that the mining overseer had some major problem going on related to the seeds. And then he just wakes up perfectly fine offscreen in the last week. We get messages about research into the seeds, and then that just ends without any actual info on how or when they ended up on the First.

Nier Automata ended ambiguously, but I at least came away from it knowing where the Machines were going, how they got here, what they were made for, what their motivation ended up becoming, and what became of our protagonists. That's why I'm miffed about Dark Apocalypse's conclusion in comparison. It really is less coherent than other Yoko Taro joints.

The main issue that I have is that we never find out how they orbs got here, if they had any influence on the world outside of this one valley. Also, what was going on with the foreman? He was acting all possessed for several weeks, and then he just got better offscreen.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Stuff like Nier and Automata still actually have like, explanations for the how and when of things. Maybe in supplemental material, but the games themselves still do have like, a proper ending to whatever emotional arc it's going for. You don't particularly need to know all about how Drakengard's ending fucked up the world of Nier in order to follow that game's plot or know how bad the Shadowlord plan goes. But that info is there in side material if you want it.

In comparison, the Dark Apocalypse raid story just kinda stops. I know that expecting a happy ending for Anogg and/or Konogg is like expecting a happy ending in an opera. But the way it goes about is considerably vaguer than the norm for Yoko Taro games.

Also, there's some stuff blatantly unfinished. We had several weeks getting hints that the mining overseer had some major problem going on related to the seeds. And then he just wakes up perfectly fine offscreen in the last week. We get messages about research into the seeds, and then that just ends without any actual info on how or when they ended up on the First.

Nier Automata ended ambiguously, but I at least came away from it knowing where the Machines were going, how they got here, what they were made for, what their motivation ended up becoming, and what became of our protagonists. That's why I'm miffed about Dark Apocalypse's conclusion in comparison. It really is less coherent than other Yoko Taro joints.

The main issue that I have is that we never find out how they orbs got here, if they had any influence on the world outside of this one valley. Also, what was going on with the foreman? He was acting all possessed for several weeks, and then he just got better offscreen.
    the dwarf stuff was very ???
    felt like a TV series that got cancelled midway through the season and had to rush to wrap up in any way it could, makes me think something like that might be exactly what happened.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Alphinaud in HW
    Everyone listens to him because he’s related to Louisioix, magical George Washington and savior of Eorzea. Also he is rich and has magic powers. The warrior of light does what he says because your character is a doorknob that does what anyone says. If a small child gave you a quest to help start a mercenary army you would do it.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    *stoic nod*

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    *stoic nod*

Pretty sure that's more of a *punch fist into other palm and nod excitedly* situation.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it always throws me when baha posts that because we both play with someone named Stoic Nod

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Look my WoL is an adventurer and with healthcare being tied to employment I can't afford to piss off the literal child who is paying my invoices, especially since I'm technically in Eorzea on a work visa.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    it always throws me when baha posts that because we both play with someone named Stoic Nod

they use that name because of the WoL meme!
    also because it is a lore-appropriate hellsguard name

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    excited for the weekly reset so I can indulge in my great passion: beating up nerds with glasses and taking shit from them

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    hopefully a hammer this time :)

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    H0b0man wrote: »

Whenever I get them I drop anything that isn't music to 25% volume and crank it.

The sound. Nothing else gets cranked.

Until after the raid, anyway.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Hey so has there been any indication at all of how much longer free trials are gonna be suspended for?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I haven't heard any news about it unfortunately. Existing free trials have been able to get in fine for a month or so, but the new free trial signup page still says new account creation is disabled.

I assume they must be planning to reopen it soon though, since there's no longer any large congestion issues to speak of that I've noticed.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    given there's a live letter on the 18th wouldn't be surprised if we hear about it there

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Also they just announced that the housing demolition pause is going to be ending in a few weeks, so things should be getting back to normal load levels on their side.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    FFXIV: Endwalker!
    Imagine I put Meteion's face on the dark coffee and Venat's on the lighter one.

td2gd8djyqj7.png

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Echo wrote: »
    FFXIV: Endwalker!
    Imagine I put Meteion's face on the dark coffee and Venat's on the lighter one.

td2gd8djyqj7.png
    one more panel with Zenos swinging his scythe like a golf club towards the coffee mug shouting "A TEST OF YOUR REFLEXES!"

admanb on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    thavnair side quest spoilers
    No, the Xaela girl is not racist. All of her interactions with matanga have been with the brutal, xenophobic faction (you know, the ones that literally got booted off Thavnair for being brutal and xenophobic.) It's not surprising that she's having a panic reaction to encountering matanga in Thavnair, because her entire experience with them is that they would try to kill her. And to her credit, she acknowledges that her reaction is to a degree irrational, and tries to work through it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No, the Xaela girl is not racist. All of her interactions with matanga have been with the brutal, xenophobic faction (you know, the ones that literally got booted off Thavnair for being brutal and xenophobic.) It's not surprising that she's having a panic reaction to encountering matanga in Thavnair, because her entire experience with them is that they would try to kill her. And to her credit, she acknowledges that her reaction is to a degree irrational, and tries to work through it.
    none of those things make it not racism, but also it was, y'know, a jokingly exaggerated response to a situation designed to entertain viewers?

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    none of those things make it not racism, but also it was, y'know, a jokingly exaggerated response to a situation designed to entertain viewers?
    I think it's important that we don't just shrug and go "it's a joke meant to entertain."

Plenty of racist folks love to justify that they aren't racist because they have had negative life experiences (either real or imagined).

I don't think that AngelHedgie falls into that group for even a second, but the efforts of these people to categorize "justifiable fear" of an entire group of people as something other than racism has worked for decades. Racism is not as narrow in it's scope as people would like you to believe.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    I think it's important that we don't just shrug and go "it's a joke meant to entertain."

Plenty of racist folks love to justify that they aren't racist because they have had negative life experiences (either real or imagined).

I don't think that AngelHedgie falls into that group for even a second, but the efforts of these people to categorize "justifiable fear" of an entire group of people as something other than racism has worked for decades. Racism is not as narrow in it's scope as people would like you to believe.
    The important part of that questline is that she admits right away that she's in the wrong and works to overcome it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
This discussion has been closed.