As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker! patch 6.2 out

• Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    thavnair side quest spoilers
    No, the Xaela girl is not racist. All of her interactions with matanga have been with the brutal, xenophobic faction (you know, the ones that literally got booted off Thavnair for being brutal and xenophobic.) It's not surprising that she's having a panic reaction to encountering matanga in Thavnair, because her entire experience with them is that they would try to kill her. And to her credit, she acknowledges that her reaction is to a degree irrational, and tries to work through it.
    none of those things make it not racism, but also it was, y'know, a jokingly exaggerated response to a situation designed to entertain viewers?
    I think it's important that we don't just shrug and go "it's a joke meant to entertain."

Plenty of racist folks love to justify that they aren't racist because they have had negative life experiences (either real or imagined).

I don't think that AngelHedgie falls into that group for even a second, but the efforts of these people to categorize "justifiable fear" of an entire group of people as something other than racism has worked for decades. Racism is not as narrow in it's scope as people would like you to believe.
    The important part of that questline is that she admits right away that she's in the wrong and works to overcome it.
    True.

The people I met in real life have typically put a lot less effort into changing the way they think.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    warning for various spoilers, jokes about a particular youtuber

https://youtu.be/ppTDJofMDvk

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Idea: Settings to allow Blue Mage to use the duty finder.

Add an option to duty finder settings called "Allow Blue Mages". If you don't opt-in, your duty finder settings won't search for BLUs. And probably disallow people from using that option for their first time through a duty. Then, if you ARE a BLU, it'll set you as DPS unless you've mimicked a Tank or Healer. And maybe require Aetherial Mimicry in general if you're doing something post-Pharos Sirius.

This would probably make it easier to just do stuff in general as a BLU, without disturbing the duty finder for people who don't wanna queue with BLUs.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Idea: Settings to allow Blue Mage to use the duty finder.

Add an option to duty finder settings called "Allow Blue Mages". If you don't opt-in, your duty finder settings won't search for BLUs. And probably disallow people from using that option for their first time through a duty. Then, if you ARE a BLU, it'll set you as DPS unless you've mimicked a Tank or Healer. And maybe require Aetherial Mimicry in general if you're doing something post-Pharos Sirius.

This would probably make it easier to just do stuff in general as a BLU, without disturbing the duty finder for people who don't wanna queue with BLUs.

The problem is that it's stupid easy to level BLU to 70, but they need to make a loadout to actually function in any kind of synced content. With all regular jobs you know for sure that every DPS has the skills to do DPS, and the tank to grab aggro and the healer to ress and heal. With BLU it's a complete potshot. Someone can mimic a tank, but not slot any spells that allow you actually tank anything. I think Square wants to avoid potential trolls and potential idiots just ruining a run. Even if the other players accept the chance that someone only slotted Final Sting and Flying Sardine it'd result in more work for Square to handle reports.

I'm all for BLUs having easier access to group content: but I don't think this is it. I think Party Finder and Linkshells are OK-ish, but I hope they're going to find some incentive to do more stuff with BLUs.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Yeah, at most you can expect BLUs to have Water Cannon. Probably. If you wanted to make BLU Duty Finder work, you'd need to have a way to lock it behind knowing certain spells... which in some cases makes it kind of useless, since the reason they're presumably using Duty Finder in the first place it to acquire spells. (There's a reason that there's so many BLU Party Finders for Tam-Tara/Haukke Manor/Aurum Vale!)

Also, since BLU doesn't get increased experience from dungeons there's... not a lot of point in doing them multiple times. And if allowing BLUs is an opt-in toggle, how often will those queues even pop in the first place?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    If they want to stop trolls or uninformed people from ruining runs, it'd be nice if they did something to stop normal classes from doing so in the party finder.

I say "classes", because I'm pretty sure it's still possible for someone to queue for an expert roulette as an ARR class with their job stone unequipped. I also remember that people had stories about folks not doing their job quest in Stormblood for their level 70 skill before joining for the last dungeon and trial.

A feature to require certain story progress or skills learned before doing certain content (outside of party finder or unsynced party shenanigans) would be very nice to have in general. And it would have the bonus effect of being workable for BLU as well, if you had more requirements. Even just a full spell list would be a useful requirement for high-level duties.

Enlong on
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't want BLU in duty finder because if I got a blue mage in my party and they werent using freeze into ultravibration I'd Become Toxic

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Did Extreme Garuda last night, my first Extreme anything.

While I appreciate that my job as BLM is comparatively easy (don't die, attack the right targets), it does mean that there are huge swathes of mechanics that I can't even really conceive of. Does it seem like a fight's going fine and then suddenly we all die? Fuck if I can figure out what happened, I was doing my shit.

I realize that I could start playing as other classes and start to poke at those other systems, but on the other hand, I could not do that.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Nah, that's how you DPS. You're doing it right.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    extreme garuda is an interesting one. it was one of the very first extremes they ever made and its cool to see the sorts of mechanics they would continue to iterate on and the sorts they left behind.

In particular I think "don't kill this add until the right moment/dps throttling" mechanics are a weird spot, because they rarely ever come up in modern content EXCEPT in the hardest tiers (tea dolls, uwu nails, p3 birds sorta-not-really)

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    GF still mad that you get to ShB and one of the first things you have to do is
    make a pact with a fae creature

• Options
    extreme garuda is an interesting one. it was one of the very first extremes they ever made and its cool to see the sorts of mechanics they would continue to iterate on and the sorts they left behind.

In particular I think "don't kill this add until the right moment/dps throttling" mechanics are a weird spot, because they rarely ever come up in modern content EXCEPT in the hardest tiers (tea dolls, uwu nails, p3 birds sorta-not-really)

I was chided for nicking an add with an AoE attack at one point and I was like, "Wait, what?"

Luckily folks are nice and remembered that there are new people in the game and it was explained to me. But that was a weird moment for sure.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got DRK to 90 the other day - honestly it's perfectly fine and survivable in dungeons, it's just not... super exciting

Debating if I want to keep tanking and give Paladin a shot, or switch to Sage, or just.... maybe just stop grinding for a bit

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    GF still mad that you get to ShB and one of the first things you have to do is
    make a pact with a fae creature

Oh she is gonna love a certain zone.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    If they want to stop trolls or uninformed people from ruining runs, it'd be nice if they did something to stop normal classes from doing so in the party finder.

I say "classes", because I'm pretty sure it's still possible for someone to queue for an expert roulette as an ARR class with their job stone unequipped. I also remember that people had stories about folks not doing their job quest in Stormblood for their level 70 skill before joining for the last dungeon and trial.

A feature to require certain story progress or skills learned before doing certain content (outside of party finder or unsynced party shenanigans) would be very nice to have in general. And it would have the bonus effect of being workable for BLU as well, if you had more requirements. Even just a full spell list would be a useful requirement for high-level duties.

ngl I still haven't done the level 70 Paladin quest because after 50-60 I never wanted to do another Paladin quest again. And I'm 90

luckily the Paladin ability only matters in high-end content and I don't do that on Paladin, so I'm not harming anyone.

admanb on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

ngl I still haven't done the level 70 Paladin quest because after 50-60 I never wanted to do another Paladin quest again. And I'm 90

luckily the Paladin ability only matters in high-end content and I don't do that on Paladin, so I'm not harming anyone.

For what it's worth, I hear that the level 60-70 Paladin quests just go back to the Gladiator cast?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh you're missing out, the 60-70 and 80 paladin quests are actually decent, they just went back to the fun gladiator characters instead of continuing to try to make the paladin characters happen and failing.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    The 60-70 Paladin story is actually fun.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    EW:
    0cx0azux1ixq.png

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Got to this level 86 quest and realized that they have custom NPC text for each race (except that both Hyur and Elezen get the same one).
    2nJz2j0.jpg
    I don't have a Hrothgar yet, but I looked it up and there it's "Though you look like a person, you have the features of a beast..."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Got to this level 86 quest and realized that they have custom NPC text for each race (except that both Hyur and Elezen get the same one).
    2nJz2j0.jpg
    I don't have a Hrothgar yet, but I looked it up and there it's "Though you look like a person, you have the features of a beast..."

They've done this before elsewhere. My favorite is if you're a mi'qote talking to the Palico in the Rathalos fight storyline, you can make the same "A talking cat!" that everyone else can - to which the Palico responds with basically "have you looked in a mirror recently?"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    /
    2nJz2j0.jpg

They've done this before elsewhere. My favorite is if you're a mi'qote talking to the Palico in the Rathalos fight storyline, you can make the same "A talking cat!" that everyone else can - to which the Palico responds with basically "have you looked in a mirror recently?"

I wonder if they remembered to use that one for Hrothgar now that they're in the game

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    2nJz2j0.jpg

I like the one in Stormblood:
    Wotshisface the turtle guy encountering the Auspice and going "A talking turtle!"

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    2nJz2j0.jpg

I like the one in Stormblood:
    Wotshisface the turtle guy encountering the Auspice and going "A talking turtle!"
    I also like that it's possibly a reference to FFV, when Bartz meets the sage Ghido.

• Options
    Second time I did it, first time as healer. *heals ass off several times*

xfh2rqnkz8bp.png

• Options
    edited February 2022
    What's the deal with the commendation system, anyway? Doesn't always seem like everybody's available for me to vote for, not sure if they serve a function or if they're just nice, really don't know what all's going on

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    you can commend anyone you did not queue together with who is still in the instance. If someone leaves the instance you can't commend them anymore, that's probably what you're seeing.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    there are minor cosmetic rewards for getting a bunch of commendations over time, like a baby chocobo wearing a pope hat

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hypothetically it also encourages non-toxic behavior due to craving the dopamine hit of getting commends but I don't know how effective it really is at that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Give commendations five times a week is also a nice chunk of XP when leveling too.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    What's the deal with the commendation system, anyway? Doesn't always seem like everybody's available for me to vote for, not sure if they serve a function or if they're just nice, really don't know what all's going on

If people leave the instance before you can give one out they aren't available. This can happen a lot if you're new and watching the cutscene/victory fanfare for the end of the dungeon/raid.

I usually wait around if a sprout is doing that cause it's a good way to get a free commend. Some of those scenes are WAY to long though, mostly in ARR. Like after 4man Garuda or Ifrit. After ARR pretty much every post dungeon cutscene starts when you leave, not when the boss dies.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hypothetically speaking, let's say a WoL has maxed out every job, done every quest, reached the furthest point in the entire game thus far.
    How many sentient entities do they have living in their mind/soul?

• Options
    Gotchca, that all makes sense. Thanks, y'all!
    turtleant wrote: »

If people leave the instance before you can give one out they aren't available. This can happen a lot if you're new and watching the cutscene/victory fanfare for the end of the dungeon/raid.

I usually wait around if a sprout is doing that cause it's a good way to get a free commend. Some of those scenes are WAY to long though, mostly in ARR. Like after 4man Garuda or Ifrit. After ARR pretty much every post dungeon cutscene starts when you leave, not when the boss dies.

Now that is nice to hear.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking, let's say a WoL has maxed out every job, done every quest, reached the furthest point in the entire game thus far.
    4-5

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah they learn a lot about how to combine dungeon content and story content after ARR. You never see something with in-dungeon cutscenes like Praetorium again.

It does lead to some light silliness where you're all bouncing around dancing on a boss who's laying on the ground threatening to get up because they're gonna do something in the cutscene, but you know. It's an MMO. You make some allowances for functionality.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

Edit: Misread the picture.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    /
    2nJz2j0.jpg

I wonder if they remembered to use that one for Hrothgar now that they're in the game

I remember this coming up a while back and no it doesn't. It could have been changed by now of course, but I doubt it.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

this is one of my very favorite subgenres of fan art

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    4-5
    Lemme think. Ones that I know of:

From MSQ: Ardbert. Possibly Midgardsormr.

Tank jobs: Fray and Myste (DRK). Arguable due to the level 80 quest seemingly having them merge back into our identity fully.

Caster jobs: Ifrit, Garuda, and Titan-egi (SMN). While the Bahamut and Phoenix aether are moreso infusing us with the general "feel" of their aether, the egis are externalized into entities with some will of their own (that they initially use to fight us). Also add Carbuncle (ACN), if the antics of Tataru's carbuncle can be said to mean anything.

Healer jobs: Lily (SCH). The fairy is a thinking entity, and are capable of surviving as an identity across many years, even when unsummoned.

Melee DPS jobs: Voidsent Avatar (RPR). This was a bad idea.

Can't think of any possessions from the ranged physical jobs. We mostly just fight other possessed people in the DNC quests.

So I count between 8 and 10 individual identities riding along in our soul. With potential for much more, considering how Summoning egis works.

This discussion has been closed.