As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DCU presents: (thread closed)

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I don't think movies or theaters will go away, but budgets will shrink to compensate. Things are about to look a whole lot cheaper if it's not Disney made.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    How much does a feature-length DC animated movie cost to make? $5 million?

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

$1-4 million, but on their best day they only double that.

They’re not viable for major revenue intake.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

They don't make $200 million but they don't lose $200 million, either. :relieved:

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Theaters aren't going to go away, but they're definitely going to shrink to numbers that are actually sustainable. Just like with malls, theaters flooded the North American market and now we're finding out that you can't just put that shit everywhere and expect it to survive. Now that streaming is taking a big slice of the pie, hopefully we'll see a resurgence of the cheaper theaters that do fun stuff and it'll mostly be the big money-hungry mega-theaters that die out except where real population density supports them.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I'd kill for more Alamo Drafthouses.

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Small movies are still making money. Horror movies, rom-coms, sci-fi, … all kinds of movies are succeeding. People are just being a lot more selective about which movies they’re seeing.

Dune made over $400 million. Ticket to Paradise tripled its budget. Violent Night is on pace to triple its budget or more. Nope did 2.5x its budget. Glass Onion made $15 million in just one week in only 600 theaters.

This means studios are going to have to combat this with *gasp* making better movies, and that’s what’s scaring them. You can’t just shit out a bland CG fest and call it a day anymore. At least not for a while, and maybe never again.

Atomika on
  • Options

They don't make $200 million but they don't lose $200 million, either. :relieved:

They’ll never justify a theatrical release or make enough to be a viable business model, is what I’m saying.

To do that with an animated movie you gotta throw down Spiderverse money… and the movie still has to be actually be good. Most of DC’s animated movies are shit from a butt.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They can’t keep blaming the Covid monster.

At least in Australia, no one cares anymore. We saw Wakanda Forever and the cinema was packed.

Other things lately stop us seeing things at the cinema, like absurd ticket prices and movies hitting streaming fairly quickly

But then, some movies just aren’t good. I doubt Moonfall would have fared better before Covid.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    They can’t keep blaming the Covid monster.

At least in Australia, no one cares anymore. We saw Wakanda Forever and the cinema was packed.

Other things lately stop us seeing things at the cinema, like absurd ticket prices and movies hitting streaming fairly quickly

But then, some movies just aren’t good. I doubt Moonfall would have fared better before Covid.

There are a lot of people still wary of going out, so I think instead of COVID fear it's more like COVID common sense. Which means less going out in cold months when you're likely to get sick anyways, and also likely to go see family (whom may be older and you wouldn't wanna get them sick).

So what you see is people only going to the movies they absolutely need to see in theaters, like Spider-Man No Way Home which was the first big box office after COVID vaccines started hitting. I think you're just seeing people be more cautious, and with things like HBO Max and Disney+ both getting movies less than two months out from release it's not a big ask to wait a bit to watch a movie you don't absolutely need to see right away.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: DC needs to stop trying to make Avengers and needs to look at making Deadpool.

Avengers was a movie that was going to make a lot of money because of a combination of ginormous budget and the sheer ammount of money that was dumped into a blast furnace to run the preceding films to set up this event movie; an incredible ammount of effort was put forth to establish that movie and on effort and planning alone it earned it's billion dollar box office.

By comparison, deadpool was a film that was sent out to die by Fox; In an age where action movies routinely got 100 million budgets they had to make due with 60, to which the team got to work pulling together as many budget actors who they could get excited about project signed on, Reynolds likely took a pitance of a signing fee from the budget, they got a script that didn't by default require that many crazy action scene's (theres like the highway and the carrier, and the second one probably wasn't even that heavy). By maximizing that budget and their script they took that pitance and made an insane 782 million; roughly 13x the budget and even if you factor in the theatre cuts and ~I dunno, a massive 3 day long coke fueled orgy by the cast and crew~ you are still looking at easily a half billion in profits.

So Go look at your mid-card DC. Get yourself a crew with some passion, a good script and a good budget. You can make this work.

• Options
    I mean they kinda already did that with Shazam

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I think they said that Deadpool's carrier scene was cut down because of budget. It was originally a huge gun fight, but they saw they weren't going to have the money for it. How do we fix this? Simple, just re-use the joke about leaving all the guns behind.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, one thing de-announced, according to sources: a Wonder Woman 3 from Patty Jenkins.

Lots of other rumored details here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/wonder-woman-3-not-moving-forward-dc-movies-1235276804/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So, one thing de-announced, according to sources: a Wonder Woman 3 from Patty Jenkins.

Lots of other rumored details here:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/wonder-woman-3-not-moving-forward-dc-movies-1235276804/

While I’m not surprised to hear it, that article is lousy with lots and lots of wild speculation and no facts about the state of things at DC right now, and it makes it seem like Gunn is tossing out the entire Snyderverse, and I just don’t see that happening at all considering that Gunn is still doing Peacemaker and there’s two more DC movies already in the can coming out next year.

I’m honestly surprised Hollywood Reporter ran something so nebulous and vague, there’s not a shred of actual journalism in that article.

Atomika on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I thought Hollywood Reporter was a well known rumormonger?

I might be mixing up the name

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Cavill: The Witcher sucks now, I want out, please let be a happy Superman

WB: Sure! Oh wait, the best we can give you is another cameo in a walking liability's movie, your movie's axed

I can see it, especially after Black Adam didn't do anything. But Johnson and Cavill having the same agent makes any arm bending to come back seem much more plausible.

Damn I didn't realize Aquaman 2 is still a year away, I just don't care anymore.

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    I thought Hollywood Reporter was a well known rumormonger?

I might be mixing up the name

They’re about as legit as media rags go

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    After WW84 I'm more amazed that WW 3 was a possibility.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    The Rock made a very desperate sounding tweet about how actually Black Adam made more than Captain America and he is the future of DC. It's really odd.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Cap 1 was also $100 million cheaper and had a cheap cast

It also had an 80% RT score, not 39%

Atomika on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The Rock desperation to make Black Adam a thing is so weird. Like he's still one of the few "movie stars" remaining, he has a pick of franchises still..

Is he really that attached to the character?

Just not used to failing anymore?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Isn't the Rock one of those guys who has it written into his contract that he doesn't lose fights in movies? "My big vanity project didn't fail, actually" sounds on brand for someone whose movie persona is that fragile.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Cap 1 was also $100 million cheaper and had a cheap cast

It also had an 80% RT score, not 39%

Also, it was 11 years ago.

Quick google says that inflation over that time is about 33%.

So $370M in 2011 is closer to $500M now.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Small movies are still making money. Horror movies, rom-coms, sci-fi, … all kinds of movies are succeeding. People are just being a lot more selective about which movies they’re seeing.

Dune made over $400 million. Ticket to Paradise tripled its budget. Violent Night is on pace to triple its budget or more. Nope did 2.5x its budget. Glass Onion made $15 million in just one week in only 600 theaters.

This means studios are going to have to combat this with *gasp* making better movies, and that’s what’s scaring them. You can’t just shit out a bland CG fest and call it a day anymore. At least not for a while, and maybe never again.

Inflation in just food is up 10% in the ‘muricas. Folk just plain have less disposable income. That alone would cut into the “we’re bored so let’s go to the theater and pick our movie based on the poster” crowd.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Inflation in just food is up 10% in the ‘muricas. Folk just plain have less disposable income. That alone would cut into the “we’re bored so let’s go to the theater and pick our movie based on the poster” crowd.

Plus, unless you’re really hyped to see a movie you can wait for a month or two and just stream it at home. The theater to VOD window is pretty short now. Plus even if I pay $15 to watch a movie at home, my family of 4 only pays $15, not $80 if we were to go to the theater

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »

Plus, unless you’re really hyped to see a movie you can wait for a month or two and just stream it at home. The theater to VOD window is pretty short now. Plus even if I pay $15 to watch a movie at home, my family of 4 only pays $15, not $80 if we were to go to the theater

You mean you're not charging your family a cover charge to watch the movie? That's just revenue you're leaving on the table dude.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The Rock made a very desperate sounding tweet about how actually Black Adam made more than Captain America and he is the future of DC. It's really odd.

There are some amusing responses to that tweet.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    How are the Snyderverse blowhards taking to Black Adam? Do they like the cut of his jib or is he still not sufficiently desaturated, jaded, cynical, and murdery for how the DCEU "should" be.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    How are the Snyderverse blowhards taking to Black Adam? Do they like the cut of his jib or is he still not sufficiently desaturated, jaded, cynical, and murdery for how the DCEU "should" be.

Seems more the latter then the former.

Frankly, them being left twisting in the wind is a net positive for film making imho.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    He p
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Rock desperation to make Black Adam a thing is so weird. Like he's still one of the few "movie stars" remaining, he has a pick of franchises still..

Is he really that attached to the character?

Just not used to failing anymore?

Maybe he just genuinely wants to play Black Adam again, from cursory information I gather this has been a looooooong project.

Yeah Cap did better but even back then, Cap had SOME recognition because he had America in his name and was the fifth in a series of generally successful films by that point. Black Adam is Z++ list, the Rock has pretty much got to be carrying that whole film to what it's earned so far.

I would love to see the financials breakdown because I don't understand how it cost $190-$230 million, there's no way there is any more than $140 million of film there even with marketing, you're only paying for the Rock, Brosnan isn't going to be commanding that much and the others are complete nobodies.

But some advice for the Rock for the future, if you do somehow manage to eke out a Black Adam 2, since I know the Rock looks on here for tips for his next roles, don't get the director of the Jungle Cruise, Fucking House of Wax, and FOUR generic Liam Neeson films to be the one in charge of your creative vision, and don't hire people responsible for either writing nothing of note or writing an Alvin and the Chipmunks film to write it. Like there is a very easy way to make Black Adam a successful film, and these guys are not it.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The name Captain America wasn't really an asset internationally. The movie had to convince a lot of people that he wasn't a silly rar-rar-USA propaganda hero.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Also, we had the benefit of knowing what the next movie was (Cap being The First Avenger) which probably made some people curious about this guy who was gonna be hanging around with Iron Man.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Would Black Adam have broken even or possibly profited 10 years ago? I haven’t watched it but reviews and opinion here indicate it to not be atrociously bad like Morbius, just mid or a little below. I posit that if we didn’t have an ongoing plague with food bills skyrocketing it might have done better. I don’t remember how prevalent streaming was 10 years ago so I can’t guess at that effect.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Black Adam would probably have done better ten years ago. The rock was a bigger star, superhero fatigue hadn't set in yet and the whole marvel vs dc tribal stuff was non existent.

Whether that movie could have been made 10 years ago and whether the movie would have been considered good is a whole other thing though.

Mc zany on
  • Options
    Black Adam performed poorly because it was an uninteresting film with a lazy script and uninteresting characters. Those films have never performed well unless they’re in 3D and shot by James Cameron.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    It’s funny that the Rock is using Cap 1 for solace, as that movie had the second-smallest haul of MCU Phase 1.

Also, I’ll believe superhero fatigue exists when we can go two years without one making a billion dollars. Black Adam underperformed because it was a lackluster flick about a backbencher and, as others have pointed out, star power alone can no longer guarantee a hit.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Black Adam performed poorly because it was an uninteresting film with a lazy script and uninteresting characters. Those films have never performed well unless they’re in 3D and shot by James Cameron.

And we'll see how well that still works with Avatar 2.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

And we'll see how well that still works with Avatar 2.

2 might, just based on hype and memories of the first. I mean, it might fail dismally, but if it is successful, it could be for other reasons.

3, shortly after, will be the crucible.

• Options
    RazielMortemRazielMortem Registered User regular
    An overcorrection for Hollywood was inevitable. They got drunk on blockbuster money and let budgets get out of control. You shouldn't need $100 million to make a good film. These types of films were made for a tenth of that in the 80s Excessive CGI rather than practical effects, being wasteful rather than frugal etc. If they want to turn a profit they'll need to relearn making it good or making it cheap. But bad and expensive won't cut it anymore. Bring back the B-movie action film!
    Commando was made on a $9 million budget ($25 mil today)!