As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you take the train to [chat]

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Yes
    v
    VishNub wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Against my better judgement I am feeling vague and no doubt soon to be ruthlessly crushed by bitter experience feelings of hopeful anticipation for the LotR TV show.

But surely the most likely outcome is it ends up pompous and staid and lacking the earnest heart and open emotional warmth of the movies (not The Hobbit movies, those sucked), while simultaneously flattening and dulling what was once a mythic backstory. Everyone's costumes will be shiny and newly-pressed and all the actors will be too good-looking.

Curse that still small voice in the back of my head saying what if it's good though?

For every wheel of time there’s an expanse

Actually no there’s like five bad adaptations for every good one

Only 5? What was the last good adaptation before expanse?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Yes
    I worked from home for like, two months.

🤷‍♂️

Lab positions.

I was also losing my mind and very much prefer going to the lab/office

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    No
    Also weird walking back into the old office is like it's just been a long weekend not two freaking years.

Just this overwhelming sense of familiarity and routine rushing back.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    A Shadowrun game set in a Song of Ice and Fire

• Options
    Yes
    v
    Against my better judgement I am feeling vague and no doubt soon to be ruthlessly crushed by bitter experience feelings of hopeful anticipation for the LotR TV show.

But surely the most likely outcome is it ends up pompous and staid and lacking the earnest heart and open emotional warmth of the movies (not The Hobbit movies, those sucked), while simultaneously flattening and dulling what was once a mythic backstory. Everyone's costumes will be shiny and newly-pressed and all the actors will be too good-looking.

Curse that still small voice in the back of my head saying what if it's good though?

For every wheel of time there’s an expanse

Actually no there’s like five bad adaptations for every good one

Only 5? What was the last good adaptation before expanse?

TLJ

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    No
    I worked from home for like, two months.

🤷‍♂️

Lab positions.

I was also losing my mind and very much prefer going to the lab/office

"Go to the office," and "don't go to the office," were both workable positions for me - going in more so than staying home, in the long run - but the last few months of inconsistent shuffling due to Omicron and "reopening" brinksmanship have been really frustrating.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    i want to play or run a Star Trek Adventures game but i need three or four people who are free between 5pm and 8pm Eastern so i don't have to stay up too late and also only want to play when i feel like it

I think I would like to play or run:
    1. The One Ring 2E
    2. Star Trek Adventures
    3. Call of Cthulhu

But possibly what would scratch this itch is hauling out my MERP ICE campaign settings and poring over them one more time. Yes, yes, show me a detailed internal map of Isengard and the many traps Saruman has in his inner sanctum.

definitely poring over the details and not actually playing is the best part

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    No
    most adaptations are not amazing but also most aren't unwatchable

I think I have zero interest in new Middle-Earth stories that are "just OK". If they're spending a billion quid and all they come out with is "a show as good as that Shannara series" everyone involved should be exiled to Saturn.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    just managed to sort two tickets to my football team's first away game of the season next weekend

i have to say, very nice of the rona to hit me just in time for my isolation period to end for the football

maybe it's not all bad!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    most adaptations are not amazing but also most aren't unwatchable

I think I have zero interest in new Middle-Earth stories that are "just OK". If they're spending a billion quid and all they come out with is "a show as good as that Shannara series" everyone involved should be exiled to Saturn.

yeah for that setting specifically we don't really need more content so it should be good if we're getting more content or what's the point?

• Options
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tav wrote: »
    i would take the train if i could but i'm walking distance from the office

nid2ds9d1duj.png

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    No
    Oh no I jinxed it

My train is abandoning me three stops short

I’m sorry red line I should not have edited in that picture

It’s the red line, it doesn’t care about you, it just stopped because it is old and tired and needed a rest

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

nid2ds9d1duj.png

I like the lack of pants in the bottom image

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    No
    There's a railyard not too far from here but all the lines are for heavy freight, the public transport in the metro area is all buses. Post COVID I mostly take my keyboard to work but need to drive when it is time to go into one of the work campuses.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Yes
    Sleep wrote: »
    Oh no I jinxed it

My train is abandoning me three stops short

I’m sorry red line I should not have edited in that picture

It’s the red line, it doesn’t care about you, it just stopped because it is old and tired and needed a rest

Relatable

It sent its friend to pick me up so it’s ok

Now I am awash in the youthful exuberance of the silver line

VishNub on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

I can't believe she is making that man listen to Primus.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    No

nid2ds9d1duj.png

I have very fine hair that sticks in all different directions without a shower, so when I attempt this its extremely obvious

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    No
    Lotr Total War. Make it happen CA/Sega

• Options

nid2ds9d1duj.png

I have very fine hair that sticks in all different directions without a shower, so when I attempt this its extremely obvious

may i introduce you to our lord and saviour, baseball caps

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I had to move my car which is the first time I’ve been out of the apartment since some point in the past

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    Lotr Total War. Make it happen CA/Sega

https://www.moddb.com/mods/third-age-total-war/

• Options
    We were supposed to have a train out to our suburb years and years ago. Imagine being able to go a few blocks and then take a train downtown or to the airport.

Nimbys keep fucking us though.

Maybe if we can get Sisqo behind the project then they'll do it...

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Yes
    I learned today that Cunnilinging is a word.

• Options
    I’m with Bogart. Mediocre LOTR sucks and I’d rather it didn’t exist. I never bothered with the Hobbit movies after the like half an hour into the second one I think.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Eagerly looking forward to wordle thread once most people get to 237.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    No
    I guess I'm glad that the Tolkien estate has stopped a bunch of tie-in fiction from being made. God, can you imagine how much money they've been offered for someone to do a sequel to LotR?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    so this shit fabric softener i was sent a year's supply of reeks so much of cheap perfume that i can't wear my clothes after using it

apparently for $20 Amazon will send out UPS to pick it up off my porch and i don't have to bother tracking down a printer for a shipping label or anything

so it's sitting on my porch now. jesus this stuff is bad

Method Ginger Mango, does not smell the least bit like ginger or mango it just has that harsh and oppressive stench of a $10 bottle of perfume

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I guess I'm glad that the Tolkien estate has stopped a bunch of tie-in fiction from being made. God, can you imagine how much money they've been offered for someone to do a sequel to LotR?

I hope it doesn’t turn into Star Wars where every scrap of an idea or concept art gets turned into something except that’s exactly what will happen.

Six on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

nid2ds9d1duj.png

Me too and yet it does not stop me

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    No
    My hair looks wild when I don't take time to shower and do some styling so my method is to just have fucked-up hair constantly because I have 8AM meetings and I don't care if my colleagues think my hair is just permanently scraggly looking.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    I learned today that Cunnilinging is a word.

He said, cunnilingingly

• Options
    Sisqo lives in my suburb. You can see him at the Whole Foods. He wrote a Christmas book recently.

• Options
    Six wrote: »
    I’m with Bogart. Mediocre LOTR sucks and I’d rather it didn’t exist. I never bothered with the Hobbit movies after the like half an hour into the second one I think.

the projector broke in the screening i was in of the second one and the cinema offered us to go to another showing or a free ticket to another movie and we took the latter

• Options
    I need a haircut pretty badly but I've finally just passed from "obviously needs a haircut" to "maybe it's long and shaggy on purpose? maybe."

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    No

I hope it doesn’t turn into Star Wars where every scrap of an idea of concept art gets turned into something except that’s exactly what will happen.

You could mine mediocre-to-bad spinoff plots from the Silmarillion for years.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

We've had the much loved original trilogy and the poorly received prequel trilogy. Just gotta get JJ Abrams for the sequel trilogy.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    No

Look at Star wars and weep

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

👋

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    No
    Driving into work today, and I saw another Rivian SUV. This one was new to me - all white.

It got me to thinking.. man, I really do want an EV, but I live in an apartment and thus don't have access to a charger.

But... what if an apartment company installed chargers, and then used the chips/tracking stuff in the plug or registration or whatever to know who was using it at any given time? That way they could appropriately charge folks. Or, alternatively, just eat the cost and bake it into people's rent.

Then I thought about that recruiter letter from Rivian, and thinking.. hmm. If I were to have a job over there, would I be able to convince people to go that route?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.