As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    "Secret of Vulcan Fury was cancelled in February 1999, following the continued departure of staff and because of financial problems at Interplay. During the production, three separate producers and the lead artist quit. At the time the project was shut down, it was estimated that less than 5% of the game had been completed. Lead engineer Thom Robertson later explained that the company had massively underestimated the cost of production, having expected to produce nearly seven hours of full motion video for 5% of the budget of a computer generated film such as Toy Story. They also had problems with the filming of the stop motion, as one three-day shoot was ruined when the director had red dots painted across the green screen in the hope that it would help with camera tracking. Further issues arose with the shoot as they had used a painted screen, which faded during the shoot causing problems in merging the video. Additional artists were then taken from other projects in order to mitigate those issues."

This is the Star Trek thread. Discuss. Use spoilers for the most recent season of the modern shows.

Previous thread:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/241741/star-trek-baby-targ-doot-doo-etc-lower-decks-s2-prodigy-s1-disco-s4-in-spoilers/p1

I thought my father and I were the only two people on the planet that still remembered this game.

Its cancellation still pisses me off.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    That was a great episode of Picard. E2 stuff:
    I certainly wasn’t expecting “skulls for the skull throne” Picard.

John de Lancie seems like he is having a great time playing Q again.

Very happy with this season so far.

Picard S2E2 stuff
    I liked what a roller coaster ride the skulls were as well. At least for me. Like shock and horror at the skulls and then his valet starts listing them which was a nice touch.

Gul Dukat: Eh maybe Evil Picard isn't so bad. I am always pro-killing Nazis.
    Martok: Oof but Martok might respect the warrior aspect at least. At least not worse than what the Klingon Empire does.
    Sarek: Oh shit. That one has to fucking hurt bad. I wouldn't want to know what was worse than that.

Like it was obviously going to be bad the whole time, but it really peeled back the layers in an amazing way. Also wonderful in how they have been referencing a lot of DS9 this episode. I wonder if they are building up to a guest star sometime later in the season.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Picard S2E2 stuff
    I liked what a roller coaster ride the skulls were as well. At least for me. Like shock and horror at the skulls and then his valet starts listing them which was a nice touch.

Martok: Oof but Martok might respect the warrior aspect at least. At least not worse than what the Klingon Empire does.
    Sarek: Oh shit. That one has to fucking hurt bad. I wouldn't want to know what was worse than that.

Like it was obviously going to be bad the whole time, but it really peeled back the layers in an amazing way. Also wonderful in how they have been referencing a lot of DS9 this episode. I wonder if they are building up to a guest star sometime later in the season.
    They did mention Sisko

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Picard S2E2 stuff

Saw the clip in question on YouTube.
    I really wonder who the Ferengi was to have earned a spot amongst such notable names as the rest of the room.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Picard S2E2 stuff

I really wonder who the Ferengi was to have earned a spot amongst such notable names as the rest of the room.
    Probably the Zek the Grand Nagus if the parallels are maintained.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Picard S2E2 stuff

They did mention Sisko

That's something that made me wonder, though.
    Later developments and revelations in DS9 made it pretty clear that Sisko's very existence was due to the intervention of the Prophets. What role, then, did they want him to play, what did they intend for him to do for Bajor, in this altered timeline? Did he?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Picard S2E2 stuff

The number of name drops they're doing, I'm surprised Worf didn't get mentioned as one of them. And I'm assuming the Borg drone skull was Hugh until someone canonically tells me otherwise.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    They did mention [REDACTED]
    In that same scene, there are a couple of other “Generals” called out on the display Seven scrolls through:
    Miles O’Brien and Tasha Yar

Sneaks on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Parents got me the first seasons of Discovery on Blu-ray and I have to say, I'm enjoying the series so far. I will also say, I really hate the whole Klingon redesign. One it seems so unnecessary; especially, since it just looks like shit.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I have no proof but I'm 99% certain the Klingon redesign looking so ridiculous was just for the plot twist in the first season. Bryaaaaaaaaaaaaan

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Resurgence looks amazing, might be a rare day one buy for me if the reviews aren't absolutely abysmal.

And yeah, liking likard s2 so far!
    "unlikely allies" scenario with the borg queen, hell yes. And the actress playing her is perfect.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Picard S2E2 stuff

This was my guess, also.
    Like the Terran Empire's universe everything except Earth seems to be the same until Earth shows up and starts killing people.

The Confederation, however, seems way more dangerous than the Terran Empire. None of the infighting and back stabbing to distract from the alien killing, an anti-Federation that's just as hypercompetent and unified as the real deal, no powerful alliance against them because the enemies that would form it are all dead.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Picard S2E2 stuff

This was my guess, also.
    Like the Terran Empire's universe everything except Earth seems to be the same until Earth shows up and starts killing people.

The Confederation, however, seems way more dangerous than the Terran Empire. None of the infighting and back stabbing to distract from the alien killing, an anti-Federation that's just as hypercompetent and unified as the real deal, no powerful alliance against them because the enemies that would form it are all dead.
    I was thinking that, IIRC, Picard's first command was when he took the conn on the Stargazer in battle against the Ferengi. That's where he came up with the Picard Maneuver to exploit the lightspeed limitations of the Ferengi sensors. Does General Picard seem like the sentimental type that would keep the head of his first kill in command around as a souvenir?

Rewatching the scene though, you can see the staff of the Grand Nagus decorating the front of the plinth. The other ones all have weapons or icons of their respective owners, so I guess that's the Grand Nagus there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS6K6GQGU94
    At 3:12

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Debating watching Picard S2 after reaaally not liking S1 but hot damn does John de Lancie still have it in that clip.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    It's a great scene but it's very short and there isn't any other Q stuff going on so temper exepctations....

i enjoyed the first two episodes. It still feels like things are not as refined as later seasons of DS9/TNG in terms of dialogue and scene transitions.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Debating watching Picard S2 after reaaally not liking S1 but hot damn does John de Lancie still have it in that clip.

He absolutely lights up every scene he's in. His voice is like chocolate for the ears.

• Options
    I think that this season at least won't turn into a retread of Mass Effect's plot.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    There's still time!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

He absolutely lights up every scene he's in. His voice is like chocolate for the ears.

reigniting my desire for a Q tattoo

maybe not the sombrero scene but still thinking about the classic portrait style with ribbons above and below saying 'au contraire mon capitan'

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

I have to say, that one line from Picard:
    "Are you...? ...Q, you are not well."

filled me with more spine-tingling dread than I have ever felt from any Trek-related content ever.

Q has been this goofy clown for as long as I can remember. I think he was only ever scary in that first episode. The notion of a modern scary Q, and for this particular hinted-at reason, is pretty compelling.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    S2 of Picard started out great so far. They got the all time favorites all-in-one,
    Borg, Alternate Universes, Time Travel, Q

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    S2 of Picard started out great so far. They got the all time favorites all-in-one,
    Borg, Alternate Universes, Time Travel, Q

Don't get me wrong, I agree that so far so good, but I am a little concerned that once again all these things are being piled in at once. I don't want to see a repeat of discovery where it's so crowded with stuff they don't have the time to flesh any of it out and it just becomes discordant noise.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    my biggest concern is the
    going to 2024. i much rather then went to a time that wasn't "now", even just 10 years ago, or 10 more years in the future

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    So far I really like Picard S2...even though I only watch it on youtube clips.

I like that the evil federation is less hammy than the Terran Empire, I just hope that things don't get too lame when they start running around present-day Earth.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Strange New Worlds is filming across the street. I am torn between excited that this is as close to Trek as I’ll probably get in real life, and a weird sense that they’re spoiling the show for me by filming bits right by where I walk to the bank.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

filled me with more spine-tingling dread than I have ever felt from any Trek-related content ever.

Q has been this goofy clown for as long as I can remember. I think he was only ever scary in that first episode. The notion of a modern scary Q, and for this particular hinted-at reason, is pretty compelling.
    I took it as perhaps the Q are not as eternal as we've been lead to believe; it's just hard to tell how long lived an entity is when it can move in and out of time on a whim. The universe has an expiration date, so it'd make sense that Q does too, even if it's measured in billions or trillions of years. His line about how "unfair time is" feels like it's about Picard, but what if it's also Q subtly commenting on himself? If Q was at the end of his life, I could see him making one last visit to Picard at a time when Picard was also towards the end of his life. Piss him off, one last time, impart one last lesson.

There's an air of desperation to this Q; as assholish as he was, he never struck me as the kind of being that would slap an old man out of frustration. As a joke, sure. As a cruel game, absolutely. But losing his temper? He'd do something much more elaborate than a physical attack.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

I took it as perhaps the Q are not as eternal as we've been lead to believe; it's just hard to tell how long lived an entity is when it can move in and out of time on a whim. The universe has an expiration date, so it'd make sense that Q does too, even if it's measured in billions or trillions of years. His line about how "unfair time is" feels like it's about Picard, but what if it's also Q subtly commenting on himself? If Q was at the end of his life, I could see him making one last visit to Picard at a time when Picard was also towards the end of his life. Piss him off, one last time, impart one last lesson.

There's an air of desperation to this Q; as assholish as he was, he never struck me as the kind of being that would slap an old man out of frustration. As a joke, sure. As a cruel game, absolutely. But losing his temper? He'd do something much more elaborate than a physical attack.
    The whole "I am but a suture in the wound" thing makes me think Q isn't responsible for what's going on—he stepped in to help, potentially at great cost to himself.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Strikor and I watched the new Picard last night. I really liked it. My highlights:
    - They made the Borg scary again
    - Borg queen wore Armus cosplay for no reason.
    - The first season did so well selling me on the characters that felt incredibly relieved for each of them as they met up with another friendly in the dystopian Confederation.
    - Jeri Ryan continues to be the absolute best and I love her.
    - Elnor is still an adorable cinnamon roll, and I didn't think about it during the first season but it's really fucking nice to have a male badass character who's qualities are sincerity and being openly emotional in place of the standard sarcastic and an immature asshole.
    - I like Rios even more this season. Figuring out that Seven was alone on his ship with his holograms was a lot of fun. Also YAY RIOS is officially a Star Fleet captain now!
    - Q doing the finger snap to "make himself look old" was a great way around that business.
    - Borg queen in the dystopia was so well acted.
    - Hall of Skulls holy shit. It was good they did the Ferengi one first because I found that more shocking than a Cardassian or Klingon skull.
    - Picard being a "Humans First" violent strongman general was sickening in the best way - pure horror.
    - Q being able to come off as genuinely unhinged in a way that he previously has not appeared was very good. It's a subtle bit of acting for a character that has always been so broadly flamboyant.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

The whole "I am but a suture in the wound" thing makes me think Q isn't responsible for what's going on—he stepped in to help, potentially at great cost to himself.
    I am with you on this one. My current theory is that the trial has taken a much nastier turn which calls for much less kind interventions. Picard never needed to see the side of Q that tortured so many races that he was kicked out of the continuum for a while. This feels very much like the stick to the carrot of All Good Things

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I like that.
    Maybe he's not responsible for the change, and even tried to stop it and was injured as a result. Now is trying his best to fix things but is too damaged to clearly convey his intent. Like someone with neurological damage, angry that they can't communicate properly and make people understand.

Makes you wonder who could do that. Other Continuum members possibly (his son?), or something else that's even more high-tier cosmic horror-ish.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My one concern regarding Q:
    It sort of feels like they might try some sort of mental illness/dementia plot with him. That's just the feeling I get between Q acting a bit confused after he explodes with rage, and Picard saying he's not well. And I don't know if they'll be able to walk that tightrope or not.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Picard:
    The "This is Penance" line makes me think it's something the crew/Picard has done (or will do, we've seen them paradox themselves before like the TNG finale). Maybe it's even affecting the Q Continuum. Just extrapolating on what we've seen in this episode, this Earth would probably pick a fight with the Continuum if they found out about it, and maybe find a way to poison them or something (I think Other Q on Voyager said something like they weren't actually omniscient/omnipotent as they claimed).
    Either way, Q is pissed, and while he wants Picard to fix it, I think he also wants him to suffer a bit for whatever role he had in causing it. Maybe blowing up Stargazer caused a Some Kind Of temporal fuckup.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Picard. Season 2.
    When they mentioned "General Sisko" I was close to fainting. What I would give up for Avery Brooks chewing the scenery in this next to John DeLancie.

So far, I absolutely love the new season.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Strange New Worlds is filming across the street. I am torn between excited that this is as close to Trek as I’ll probably get in real life, and a weird sense that they’re spoiling the show for me by filming bits right by where I walk to the bank.

I believe the correct thing to do is to become an extra in a scene, and adlib a line so good they decide they must give you a speaking role.

sig.gif
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Re: Picard Season 2.

I'm really happy people are enjoying it. I saw a few clips floating around, and it does look good. But on the other hand, I'm still upset I got burned by Picard Season 1, which also started really good and strong and interesting and ended with a wet-fart robot tentacle and cheap Picard fake-death. So I'm still on the fence between watching it or waiting until the season is over and people confirm it's a good season, not just a good few episodes that lead nowhere.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    CroakerBC wrote: »

I believe the correct thing to do is to become an extra in a scene, and adlib a line so good they decide they must give you a speaking role.

Unfortunately for me, they have actual cops roaming around to make sure you don’t do this.

Also that would be wrong, because I’m not in the union.

I wanted to though!

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    klemming wrote: »
    Picard:
    The "This is Penance" line makes me think it's something the crew/Picard has done (or will do, we've seen them paradox themselves before like the TNG finale). Maybe it's even affecting the Q Continuum. Just extrapolating on what we've seen in this episode, this Earth would probably pick a fight with the Continuum if they found out about it, and maybe find a way to poison them or something (I think Other Q on Voyager said something like they weren't actually omniscient/omnipotent as they claimed).
    Either way, Q is pissed, and while he wants Picard to fix it, I think he also wants him to suffer a bit for whatever role he had in causing it. Maybe blowing up Stargazer caused a Some Kind Of temporal fuckup.
    A lot of interesting things said in Deathwish come up watching Q's state.

Quinn said the Q are not omnipotent, and implied their powers are technologically derived and not some higher level of evolution as other energy beings in Star Trek are.

Q said that Quinn's suicide could unmake the Continuum, and while he wasn't able to articulate how, he was able to say that the prior deaths of Qs created significant disruptions, and we also know they would go on to kill each other in substantial numbers.

The state of the Continuum post-Voyager could be very bad. Discovery already said there was no recorded contact with them after ca. 2500, they may be dying.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Strongly agree with that last paragraph. It was massively out of character. I'm really hoping it's a signpost and not just the writers not understanding the character.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

Strongly agree with that last paragraph. It was massively out of character. I'm really hoping it's a signpost and not just the writers not understanding the character.

Picard did give him a look like 'shit, you've never done that before'. They knew it was out of character.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I finally finished ploughing through season 1 of TOS.I mean ploughing as in it often felt like labour and I am no longer going to take anyone talking about 'real star trek' seriously if this is the OG stuff.

Full thoughts in spoilers in case it goes long:

The Pilot: A good episode I'll talk more about later because it's literally in another episode fully.

Episodes 2 through like, 9: Dear god it's just half baked sci-fi concepts badly talked about and then a fight happens. Enterprise's worse episodes clearly took their template from this. Notable exceptions are The Enemy Within which is hammy and surprisingly involved about how humans can't be fully good or evil values and Miri which is fun because it's an episode that slows down to let characters talk more.

Dagger of the Mind: Fun, hammy sci-fi stuff about a mind torture/re-write device.

The Corbomite Maneuver: Is this too little content to fill fifty minutes of an episode? Yes. Is it also Very Fun to have the episode premise being sci-fi technobabbling your way out of a superior species wrath? Also yes.

The Menagerie: So hey, lets do the pilot stuff first: The episode premise of Pyke being offered a fictional but perfect fantasy and resisting it on base human rights of needing freedom is fun and excellent. Stuff like how they'd blown up the mountain entrance but weren't allowed to see it helps reinforce the power of the race along the same axis rather than giving them other super tech.

As for the Menagerie itself it's fun both to dive into legal proceedings and see Spock take a stand that is... even if logically defensible, an emotional act.

The Conscience of The King: Hey how did this TNG episode get in here? Jokes aside this episode is fantastic, all the characters are firing at 100% and the debate about rehabilitation/existence after monstrous crimes and also what genocidal crimes entail and are motivated by are all exceptional and wrapped in fantastic acting from the guest actor.

Balance of Terror: I remember nothing about this except it's silly that the subplot is 'Romulans look the same as Vulcans so immediate bigotry'

Shore Leave: Honestly of all the half explored sci-fi concepts this one about a magic dream planet/proto holodeck where all fantasies come true and how that feels like a danger to people not briefed is pretty darn fun.

The Galileo Seven: A fun survival episode about a crashed shuttle. Mainly used to characterize how Spock's extreme logic grates on people but is also an asset. Fun all around.

The Squire of Gothos: A 'super alien captures crew' episode flavoured by Napoleonic era stuff. Not great, not bad, still kind of amusing.

Arena: Fun, hammy combat ending with a pacifist resolution. This episode is enjoyable and also feels like the template for how the Federation does diplomacy and conflict in more modern shows.

Tomorrow is Yesterday: Heck yeah our first time travel episode. Especially fun because most of it is going to the absolute extreme of leaving no trace. Nothing particularly deep going on but it hits the notes of "Federation tech clowning on modern day military dudes" when it needs to.

Court Martial: It's weird how many of the good episodes of Star Trek are the bottle ones that take place in just an impromptu court room. This one being no exception.

The Return of the Archons: Ah yes, the Lower Decks joke. Still a fun sci-fi romp that lands much better and more confidently than the earlier season's romps did.

Space Seed: Fascists and gene editing are bad and also sexy. Fun and an interesting look at why star trek has such a specificly harsh and weird take on gene editing stuff for a show that embraces science as good.

A Taste of Armageddon: A fantastic episode that's definitely one of my favourites of the season. Talking about how abstraction of violence can lead people to accept it when in reality war in your face and shooting you is a wholly different experience.

The Devil in the Dark: A monster hunt turning to empathy and further growth for the federation through said empathy. Honestly just fantastic and enjoyable.

Errand of Mercy: Our first Klingon episode, fun and enjoyable but ultimately kinda just... forgone because the Organians are so powerful.

The Alternative factor: Weird sci-fi fun

The City on the Edge of Forever: This literally feels like something wholly ripped off for the TNG episode where a back in time Data starts assembling a computer. Fantastic and depressing in how it deals with star crossed love and how hopeless it is in time travel.

This discussion has been closed.