As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Trek]: Now Playing: Lower Decks S3 (Latest seasons of current shows in spoilers)

• Options
    GlyphGlyph Registered User regular
    On Episode 3 of SNW:

I'm glad they (1) had an explanation for how the problem was solved and (2) didn't lean in on fate like the previous two episodes. This is the strongest of the three so far and also the most "Trek". Also the bait and switch with La'an being just a distant descendant of Khan who hates augments while Una is the actual augment was a good touch in my opinion.

Jacobkosh wrote: »
    It's all about execution. Insurrection hits the notes, but it doesn't really play the music, y'know? It's not egregiously, obviously bad but a combination of slack pacing, low stakes, and a lack of cinematic oomph conspire to make it feel kind of meh.

Not to mention the dilemma itself was stupid. I remember one reviewer pointing out that there was a reason the Ba'ku were never themselves asked what they wanted, and it's because if they agreed that sacrificing their longevity was worth it to save billions of lives, then you would have no central conflict... while if they decided it wasn't, they would just look selfish no matter how right or wrong they might've been. It's just bad optics so the question is simply never posed to them.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh man I'm the opposite. I love Sisko but when I first started it after TNG I wasn't sure. After Picard I was taken aback by how gruff he was. But the more I spent time with him the more I liked him. I love his passion.

The whole prophet thing was great too. I initially hated the Bajorans because it just felt like a play on the Puritans and it made my eye roll but then they kept developing it further into what it ended up being and I was shocked at how much I liked it.

The Bajorans - or more specifically the Bajoran religion - is one thing that really disappoints me from DS9. Such wasted potential.

It was Star Trek's first take on alien religion. But more than that, it was a truly alien religion. Imagine a religion where you have clear, concrete, unambiguous proof that your gods exist through stones that allow you to directly and personally interact with them. That would be a religion fundamentally different from any human one at its very core, a religion for which notions of faith or belief are irrelevant. How different a religion, a society, a priesthood would that be? On top of that, their prophecized messiah just arrived and sits in an office nearby and you can take an appointment to meet up for coffee, and also he found the entrance to the realm of their gods which again is a real physical realm people can (and routinely do) travel through and which contains their real physical gods which people can stop and talk with while they're in there. What kind of insane religious and social upheaval would that cause?

Instead of all that, we ended up with space catholics with a space pope and space demons to exorcise in a cave of literal space hellfire.

Not only do their gods exist and you can go visit them, but 99.9% of the time those gods won't know who you are and don't care about you at all. They're cool with Sisko and maybe Kira, but generally they're doing the absentee landlord thing, and that'd have to gnaw at some people.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Some further musings in this episode..
    I really love M'bengas speech on prejudice and how it's not gone, just shifted targets - even when it's foolish... And good it's contrasted with La'ans genuine fears mixing with her trauma. Likewise Number One's speech where she's reflecting on 'what if I wasn't one of the "good ones" - resonant to both the Trans* experience, and racism experiences. Just really good shit. This is a fucking smart show, and I'm really impressed

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh man I'm the opposite. I love Sisko but when I first started it after TNG I wasn't sure. After Picard I was taken aback by how gruff he was. But the more I spent time with him the more I liked him. I love his passion.

The whole prophet thing was great too. I initially hated the Bajorans because it just felt like a play on the Puritans and it made my eye roll but then they kept developing it further into what it ended up being and I was shocked at how much I liked it.

The Bajorans - or more specifically the Bajoran religion - is one thing that really disappoints me from DS9. Such wasted potential.

It was Star Trek's first take on alien religion. But more than that, it was a truly alien religion. Imagine a religion where you have clear, concrete, unambiguous proof that your gods exist through stones that allow you to directly and personally interact with them. That would be a religion fundamentally different from any human one at its very core, a religion for which notions of faith or belief are irrelevant. How different a religion, a society, a priesthood would that be? On top of that, their prophecized messiah just arrived and sits in an office nearby and you can take an appointment to meet up for coffee, and also he found the entrance to the realm of their gods which again is a real physical realm people can (and routinely do) travel through and which contains their real physical gods which people can stop and talk with while they're in there. What kind of insane religious and social upheaval would that cause?

Instead of all that, we ended up with space catholics with a space pope and space demons to exorcise in a cave of literal space hellfire.

Not only do their gods exist and you can go visit them, but 99.9% of the time those gods won't know who you are and don't care about you at all. They're cool with Sisko and maybe Kira, but generally they're doing the absentee landlord thing, and that'd have to gnaw at some people.

There are lots of examples of religions/deity systems just in human history where the various gods don't actually care that much about humanity, especially specific humans, and the mythology indicates lots of times where gods came down and interacted (Fornicated?) with humans. Prior to Sisko, the concrete existence of their Gods wasn't a known thing, all they had were the orbs, and even those mostly were only available to the clergy. (There was even still some doubt that they were necessarly of the prophets until later).

Let's also remember, regarding the Emissary, that given a hot chance, Sisko gave it up and the entire populace not only switched to the new one at the drop of a hat, but adopted his caste system proposal.

While WE saw their "gods" concretely, even their gods were nothing more than sufficiently advanced aliens who felt a guardianship over the Bajorans., and most Bajorans never got even a glimmer of them other than a wormhole, that was a known scientific concept.

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1
    From what i can glean - Number One/Una being an Illyrian has actually been a thing in the canon for a while. And Illyrians seem to be a pretty distinct thing from Human-Augments, though i'm honestly unsure what the difference actually is for practical purposes. This is the bit i was recknoning would piss people off. Also they did need tohave a reason for M'benga to get demoted, we just found it out early!

Also yes Hemmer just being Ah yeah, need light, i know, let's transporter some mantle of the planet here, that'll do. is fucking great
    It hasn’t exactly been canon, but that bit (and Illyria in general) was written by DC Fontana in one of the novels she did 30 something years ago, IIRC. So as close to official as any non-canon source might get.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Strange New Worlds Season 1 Episode 3:
    I didn't know how much I missed "random shit happens to the ship" episodes. Pairing episodic plots with serialized character development is perfect for Trek.

The line about "what if I wasn't one of the good ones" hit like a ton of bricks. I'm very curious to see how Una and La'an's relationship plays out. To bring in the Other Franchise, they give me real Master/Padawan vibes.

As much as I liked the episode, they could've done more with the ion storm beings/changed colonists. It feels...incomplete, mostly because there's never an attempt to communicate or any foreshadowing beforehand. Maybe they could've played on the "ghost" theme in the title—stuff like communicators going off and things moving around in the first act, which then flows into the larger issues of the epidemic and surviving the storm. Throw in a line about the planet being considered "haunted" by non-Starfleet passersby.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Glyph wrote: »
    On Episode 3 of SNW:

I'm glad they (1) had an explanation for how the problem was solved and (2) didn't lean in on fate like the previous two episodes. This is the strongest of the three so far and also the most "Trek". Also the bait and switch with La'an being just a distant descendant of Khan who hates augments while Una is the actual augment was a good touch in my opinion.

It's all about execution. Insurrection hits the notes, but it doesn't really play the music, y'know? It's not egregiously, obviously bad but a combination of slack pacing, low stakes, and a lack of cinematic oomph conspire to make it feel kind of meh.

Not to mention the dilemma itself was stupid. I remember one reviewer pointing out that there was a reason the Ba'ku were never themselves asked what they wanted, and it's because if they agreed that sacrificing their longevity was worth it to save billions of lives, then you would have no central conflict... while if they decided it wasn't, they would just look selfish no matter how right or wrong they might've been. It's just bad optics so the question is simply never posed to them.

Insurrection is so bleh

the Baku make me think of a bunch of spirit science crystal hippies moving into a hospital and being upset that anyone would have the gall to think that they shouldn't get to just keep all the medicine inside
    shryke wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    No need to apologize to me! I am used to people being wrong about the Star Trek I love. For example, Insurrection was the best movie if you ask me*. I have just learned to let people have different opinions and ignore their hatred. It won't change how I feel about anything. I just hope the venting makes the experience better for the person. Hate watching excepted. That just confuses me.

*Don't try to change my mind. You won't succeed.

i'm pages late here but Insurrection is a really good episode of TNG, it's just not a great "movie" :)

All I want out of the movies is to be really good episodes of the series. So this checks out for me!

Insurrection is a bad episode of TNG. If it had been a good one, the movie would have actually worked.

IMO it's neither good nor notoriously bad, unlike some of the episodes every fan knows by name. It just kind of is. One of those mid-season eps that most people forget unless it's on right now. 103 minutes of warm pudding.

Well other than everyone's emotions being dialed up to 11, TNG episodes don't usually having the crew acting so wild

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    a

override367 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Personally, I think what kills insurrection is the god-awful humor they shoehorned in. I'm not against Trek having laughs, but Insurrection was painfully unfunny.

That and the whole cloaked holodeck ship at the bottom of a lake thing was really stupid.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    e9s42sz.jpeg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Why is Levar Burton just called "the new Spock" isn't that Data?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

I don't see a date on the newspaper but I assume this was written months before the show aired.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Jonathon Frakes hair hahahahaha. Also, they spelled "Riker" as "Ryker".

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    The more things change...

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    e9s42sz.jpeg

I love that there are receipts for this stuff. Yeah, nerds, your beloved TNG was decried as "Not real Star Trek" back in the day! And people back then definitely thought it was "too woke" also!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I guess he should have been labeled as the new Montgomery Scott, Stewart should have been "New Kirk" and Frakes "New Kirk's Alien Loving Libido".

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I guess he should have been labeled as the new Montgomery Scott, Stewart should have been "New Kirk" and Frakes "New Kirk's Alien Loving Libido".

Geordi wasnt even an engineer in season 1 was he?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I love that there are receipts for this stuff. Yeah, nerds, your beloved TNG was decried as "Not real Star Trek" back in the day! And people back then definitely thought it was "too woke" also!

We need to find some BBS text chats about this from 1987.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    or USEnet. It was all over USEnet.
    (I was there.)

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Geordi wasnt even an engineer in season 1 was he?

Good point, wasn't he like controls or something (aka pilot) initially?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

You might notice all the other actors have their name attached except for Levar Burton. I would guess this is directly related to him being the only black actor on the cast as well. Maybe "the new Uhura" was too on the nose.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This is why I want to find original reviews from 1980 for Empire Strikes Back.
    I bet at least some decried it as ruining the entire franchise forever.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'm really curious how the newer series will be perceived in 10 or 20 years. Will some end up like DS9, viewed in hindsight as Best Trek? Maybe like Voyager, which was maligned in its time but is now considered So Okay, It's Average? Or Enterprise, where the kindest thing anyone has to say about it is "wasted potential?"

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

"How dare this new sequel delegitimize its predecessor, 1978's Star Wars Holiday Special?!"

• Options
    the star wars holiday special is the ONLY piece of star wars media that should have remained canon

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    klemming wrote: »

The Empire Strikes Back" is not a truly terrible movie. It's a nice movie. It's not, by any means, as nice as "Star Wars." It's not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it's also silly.

Yeah I love these old reviews of Star Wars. I remember telling a dude my age about the negative Empire Strikes Back reviews that I'd read from back in the day, and he says, "well I don't remember there being any negative press back then, do you?" I was like, my brother in Christ, we were both age 3 back then, of course we don't remember negative press. We were still shitting our own pants back then.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Personally, I think what kills insurrection is the god-awful humor they shoehorned in. I'm not against Trek having laughs, but Insurrection was painfully unfunny.

That and the whole cloaked holodeck ship at the bottom of a lake thing was really stupid.

Star Trek can be really good at humour too. Michael Dorn fucking kills it whenever they give him the chance. As does Rene Auberjonois.

I think you have to go drier though. The broad humour just comes off cringey.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Star Trek can be really good at humour too. Michael Dorn fucking kills it whenever they give him the chance. As does Rene Auberjonois.

The humor falls flat in insurrection because it was very 90s network sitcom humor, which really was a shitty age of humor in general, but especially bad for Network sitcoms.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

The humor falls flat in insurrection because it was very 90s network sitcom humor, which really was a shitty age of humor in general, but especially bad for Network sitcoms.

It also didn't fit the cast/crew/setting at ALL and was right out of left field. We KNEW humor in Trek could work, look at ST4, or Data pushing Crusher off the boat. Boob jokes though? Meh. IMHO Generations was the "Star Trek episode as a movie" and done much better. I also kind of wish they'd kept the lighting from that movie. I know why it was there and why they didn't, but it was kind of cool.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    That was a pretty good one, although not my favorite of the three so far. The pacing was kind of off for me; the episode's A-plot ends kind of abruptly (and somewhat offscreen?) with 10 minutes of runtime to go, to make room for a couple of character revelations. Normally I like it when episodic TV shows don't stretch the drama right up to the wire but leave a little room at the end for characters and audience to reflect on what happened and tie off lingering plot questions, but this felt kind of off, like gears that didn't quite mesh. I feel like a better fit could have been made if the revelations had been folded into the story organically instead of kind of dumped on us at the end one after the other - or if the writers had picked one big character secret to go with and left the other for a future day, particularly as we got multiple back-to-back scenes of a character confessing their secret to another character who goes "nah idc it's fine." It just felt like a weird stumble.

But that just makes it a B or B- episode instead of the more solid hits of the previous two. We still got a fun spooky drama, lots of character moments and more spotlight time for cast who have previously been walkons, and a good goofy sci-fi premise. We're finally in the Goldilocks zone where we've got a show that has a much more strongly defined and characterized cast than Discovery had at this point (or for the next two years), and yet has managed to bring three cromulent and fairly watertight stories to a satisfying conclusion where Picard has struggled mightily to tell one.

Toxic gatekeepy fans who reflexively hate the new thing and can never be pleased definitely exist and are a problem but it's funny how maybe 75% of them mysteriously evaporate into the ether when the new thing manages to hew to some basic fundamentals of storytelling and TV production. It's like Steve Shives said a week or two ago in one of his videos: "It turns out the best kind of fan service is good writing."

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    what was with the long epic walk down the corridor with Hemmer on her shoulder? Seemed to last a little too long?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    what was with the long epic walk down the corridor with Hemmer on her shoulder? Seemed to last a little too long?
    Emphasizing how freakishly strong Una actually is/badass hero moment.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    SNW Ep 3: Best Star Trek episode since....

fuck

one of the better Voyager episodes?

I think maybe if I counted some Manny Coto arcs of Ent

By "Best Star Trek" I don't mean the best episode of Star Trek, but most embodying the ideals that drew me to it

override367 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Toxic gatekeepy fans who reflexively hate the new thing and can never be pleased definitely exist and are a problem but it's funny how maybe 75% of them mysteriously evaporate into the ether when the new thing manages to hew to some basic fundamentals of storytelling and TV production. It's like Steve Shives said a week or two ago in one of his videos: "It turns out the best kind of fan service is good writing."

Yeah, I feel like the toxic gatekeeping shit gets forgotten because either the new thing sucks and people attack it for that or it gets forgotten or it's great and everyone just moves on.

Like, it's amusing that people were all "Not My Star Trek" about TNG but in the end they don't matter and are forgotten because the show turned out to be good.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited May 2022

Yeah, I feel like the toxic gatekeeping shit gets forgotten because either the new thing sucks and people attack it for that or it gets forgotten or it's great and everyone just moves on.

Like, it's amusing that people were all "Not My Star Trek" about TNG but in the end they don't matter and are forgotten because the show turned out to be good.

Racist right-wing chuds hate almost everything, but they only find traction and an audience when a show or game or movie is kind of lame and unsatisfying and an audience of maybe kind of naive, unsophisticated people, or kids, go to youtube looking for reasons why they didn't like Ghostbusters 2016 or the Star Wars sequels or whatever, and find some grotesque mutant in a cosplay mask screaming about how it's the fault of women and woke haircuts. If your thing is good to begin with, those guys will still be there complaining, but it'll be to a mostly empty room. It's been funny to actually watch this happening in real time on r/Star_Trek.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Watched both SNW S1E2 and S1E3 tonight. Episode 2 was a lot better than 3. But both were very classic Star Trek stories. I am really enjoying it. GF is starting to make a bingo game on how silly things are said on a lot of episodes.

E3 Spoilers:
    It was nice for once to see a Star Trek story not about the horrors of genetic engineering. Not even Julian really got those because it was always more of a cloud over him. And it makes sense there would be races that adept themselves to planets they colonize not the other way around. Along with all the other bits like improved immune systems and strength. Not all species would produce Khan's.

E2 Spoilers
    I love the use of music and math as a generic language. Always a great plot point.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Watched both SNW S1E2 and S1E3 tonight. Episode 2 was a lot better than 3. But both were very classic Star Trek stories. I am really enjoying it. GF is starting to make a bingo game on how silly things are said on a lot of episodes.

E3 Spoilers:
    It was nice for once to see a Star Trek story not about the horrors of genetic engineering. Not even Julian really got those because it was always more of a cloud over him. And it makes sense there would be races that adept themselves to planets they colonize not the other way around. Along with all the other bits like improved immune systems and strength. Not all species would produce Khan's.

E2 Spoilers
    I love the use of music and math as a generic language. Always a great plot point.

There's some supplementary material that apparently suggests
    That the Gorn also are into genetic modification.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    SNW 3
    I like a lot of this episode, but it's absolutely feels like the writers trying to go back and retcon "But really genetic augments wouldn't get that much of a smackdown in Federation society/are good actually" I do appreciate we aren't getting a season of people necessarily dancing around their drama, but it also feels like everyone is very much "I won't rat on your damage if you won't rat on mine" which feels a little weird for Trek. We'll see if it comes up elsewhere in the season. (The dialogue specifically referencing Khan made me roll my eyeballs a little bit. It's most blatant reference I've seen this show drop and it shoe-horned in as hell)

Space Ghosts as the final stage/mutation of a lightborne disease is a sci-fi ass idea though and I'm glad that played out, though I do agree stretching out the ambiguity and horror of it could've been a bit more fun for racheting up the tension. Also approve of Hemmer as this absolutely mad scientist of an engineer.

tl;dr: Excellent idea, but there were a couple seams that are compelling to try to tug it apart. Still good Trek, but I actually liked last episode a touch better for how things played out.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    My only problems with SNW are canon related, which, since the show is well acted, produced, beautiful, and feels sincere - I have decided to ignore

So far for me, ep 1 is the best episode (ymmv), episode 3 is the most "Trek" episode.
    the conflict with the first officer breaks canon in a few ways, sure, towards how people feel, but why hang on to outmoded ideas for our glorious heroes? I've always had a problem with Starfleet's attitude towards augments and it's great the writers are right there with me

override367 on
  • Options
    I really don't like the augment stuff and how shows have handled it.

Where prior shows had just kind of not addressed genetic augmentation, DS9 - either for the sake of Conflict! or in a bid to explain something that didn't need explaining - decided to go "no this stuff is definitely illegal and Julian has this dark secret oooooh", and for the sake of reemphasizing and re-canonizing this deeply mediocre story we got a whole thing in Enterprise about it and it just keeps getting brought up when at any time we could have just dropped it the way the franchise has happily dropped other bad ideas ("I can't get used to a woman on the bridge!").

This discussion has been closed.