As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] 16 Arrives June 22nd!

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Whelk wrote: »
    Kimahri was designed to be a floater character, but that did him absolutely zero favors and I think was a failed experiment.

I want to think an FF that focuses on blue magic for a main character like FFIX did for steal would be fun.

Heck I think Quina is a lot of fun too.

disagree. I dislike everything about them.

I think the idea of eating the enemy to get their ability was a great idea. Compared to Kimahri it was a lot more fun IMO.

Lancet is my favorite way to get Blue Magic.

Eat is my least favorite.

It was always so dang fiddly.

It is however, hilarious.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    Kimahri was designed to be a floater character, but that did him absolutely zero favors and I think was a failed experiment.

I want to think an FF that focuses on blue magic for a main character like FFIX did for steal would be fun.

Heck I think Quina is a lot of fun too.

disagree. I dislike everything about them.

I think the idea of eating the enemy to get their ability was a great idea. Compared to Kimahri it was a lot more fun IMO.

Lancet is my favorite way to get Blue Magic.

Eat is my least favorite.

It was always so dang fiddly.

It is however, hilarious.

Pardon, this is FFVIII's Devour, not FFIX's Eat.

Completely different mechanics.

• Options
    Well for anyone who complained about how FF8 didn't appropriately show how messed up it is to have magic child soldiers. TYPE-0 would like to have a word with you.

Wow that game gets dark fast.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Type-0 throws dark and stays dark. I really like that game, warts and all.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Type-0 throws dark and stays dark. I really like that game, warts and all.

Well, you do get some sparse levity in the Academy... but it sure doesn't last.

My biggest issue(and this is apparently a big Tabata thing in general) is massive world shaking events largely happening off screen as a literal footnote in the narrative, like Genbu being nuked in Type-0 or, well, all of Kingsglaive or most of the endgame in XV.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    me against a boss in FFX: kay, it's kinda kicking my ass, i'll try to grand summon this new aeon, Jimbo. Oh i gotta pay? I'll give a random amount....

Oh..... it just killed the boss, alrighty then.

wait, i don't get any XP?

I ended up quitting without saving lmao.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You know what had a good leveling system? Chrono Cross

• Options
    FFX is a very reasonable game in terms of challenge, until the literal last zone which throws probably the two cheapest enemies in the whole series at you: Greater Malboro and Demonliths, both of which can one shot your party from ambush without status defense.

• Options
    delf4delf4 Registered User regular
    Yuna is already the best black mage once you finish her own white mage branch. You just need a couple of warp spheres to pick up double cast black and ultima and you’re set. Once you’ve unlocked her ultimate weapon most things die within two of her turns.

• Options
    In a standard fight that's true, however, I've never been a fan of "if you encounter THIS enemy formation without preparation, you die."

• Options
    Final Fantasy (X) Status: End of the road.

i've completed the pilgrimage, met the original Nun and now i gotta go to church.

I love how that nun dresses in a skimpy bikini at all times. Very important.

• Options
    Oh FFX Question: Is it ever explained what Morty is?

the like...... thing hanging around Seymour.

What's up with it?

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Oh FFX Question: Is it ever explained what Morty is?

the like...... thing hanging around Seymour.

What's up with it?

The Japanese name for the monsters are all things like "Pyre machine" or "Pyre sigil." They're some kind of corrupt pyrefly thingies.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    It's a Gundam.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I always broke Kimahri out into Tidus's grid to get more haste, cheer and quick hits. Having two Tiduses for the late game is awesome.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Damn, i forgot how aimless FFX's Sidequests-Before-The-Final-Dungeon phase was.

maybe having had a strategy guide helped more than i thought.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Started FFX. Already don't like that it doesn't tell you if the monster doesn't have anything left to steal.

• Options
    Started FFX. Already don't like that it doesn't tell you if the monster doesn't have anything left to steal.

Does any FF tell you that?

• Options
    You can only steal twice from any enemy iirc.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2022

I'm pretty sure there are lots of FFs where they only have one item, so if you steal anything you can be confident they don't have anything else.

And there are others where it definitely says "nothing left to steal," for example I remember it in FF4's pixel remaster.

EDIT: I might be thinking of FF5, and FF4 is the one with infinite steals, because I remember stealing 99 alarms in one fight in the techno tower.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

I'm pretty sure there are lots of FFs where they only have one item, so if you steal anything you can be confident they don't have anything else.

And there are others where it definitely says "nothing left to steal," for example I remember it in FF4's pixel remaster.

Yeah all of them so far tell you "Nothing to Steal" when they're out of items.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    My problem with Type 0 was the problem I had with most FF stuff around that era. All the cool shit was in a huge ass codex that I wasn't tryna sit there and read.

Also motion sickness.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My problem with Type 0 was the problem I had with most FF stuff around that era. All the cool shit was in a huge ass codex that I wasn't tryna sit there and read.

Also motion sickness.

Didn't they eventually fix the camera?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If they did I probably stopped playing by then.

• Options
    ..... you can steal from monsters more than once in FFX???????????

• Options

yeah, but only AFTER you've locked in the steal action.

• Options

Right. That's what I mean though. In FFX you can steal multiple times but it doesn't tell you when there's nothing left. It just says the same message as it does when you fail the steal attempt.

• Options

Right. That's what I mean though. In FFX you can steal multiple times but it doesn't tell you when there's nothing left. It just says the same message as it does when you fail the steal attempt.

well damn, i didn't know that, i assumed that message meant nothing left to steal.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Actually, you can steal infinite times, but your chances of success are halved after each attempt. E.g. 85%, 42.5%, 21.25%, 10.63%, and so on. I usually stop after 4 successes but will absolutely do so on enemies that have key spheres in the early game like the Ronso brothers.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Actually, you can steal infinite times, but your chances of success are halved after each attempt. E.g. 85%, 42.5%, 21.25%, 10.63%, and so on. I usually stop after 4 successes but will absolutely do so on enemies that have key spheres in the early game like the Ronso brothers.

i feel real dumb.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

oh I hate this this is a terrible design

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I always broke Kimahri out into Tidus's grid to get more haste, cheer and quick hits. Having two Tiduses for the late game is awesome.

I teleport Auron to the end of Titus' path and have him work backwards and vice versa, which nets you two tanks who can weaken enemies at will, buff everyone with speed, and hit like trucks.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

i feel real dumb.

I don't know that I'd have figured it out on my own. FFX was still in the heyday of Gamefaqs, and so I reviewed some of those guides prior to my semi-recent replay.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Gosh the VA for FFX is bad. Yuna is emotionless and Seymour is almost as bad.

I know this was around the time where VAs were given 0 direction so I don't blame them.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I still like the performance for Seymour. To me, he seems cold, confident, and in control rather than low energy.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Seymour is literally
    a walking corpse.
    I think the voice is fitting.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, I also think Yuna being somewhat emotionless is kind of the point. Like she's intentionally supposed to be emotionally detatched, given her situation.

A good spirited game I like to play is to ask people who think Yuna's VA sucks, if they've played Valkyria Chronicles and how do they feel about Rosie?
    'Tis the same lady. :)

Also Agrias from the PSP version of FFT with the animated scenes, but I think she has a grand total of 2 lines in it regardless.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah Yuna didn't bother me that much, except in the same way all the line deliveries in ffx feel like that era of like slightly under-localized, "just match the lip flaps and timings" style of video game dialogue at the time.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I understand what you guys are saying. But I think it's just bad direction.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I still like the performance for Seymour. To me, he seems cold, confident, and in control rather than low energy.

Literally couldn't disagree more but that's alright. To me it sounds like someone who is phonetically reading the lines but not actually reading them.

Wakka, on the other hand, fucking kills it. I don't know what his VA is doing right now but hopefully he's doing good things.

This discussion has been closed.