As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I'm not Sue Gruff [Game Grumps]

jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovelsRegistered User regular
edited March 2022 in Games and Technology
udakjgkuf7x2.png

14v8bqp0xe1b.png

Game Grumps is one of the most popular Let's Play channels on Youtube - it currently has about 4.5 million subscribers and has been consistently active for over five years. They usually upload two 10-15 minute videos every day.

But who are these Game Grumps, anyway?

n5ll6mphqsgo.png

Arin "Arin" Hanson, also known as Egoraptor, is one of the founding members of Game Grumps. Before creating the channel, he was mostly known as an animator and a voice actor, which he still does occasionally. You might have seen his Sequelitis videos or his Awesome series.
Now that he's a professional Let's Player, he gets to dazzle an audience of millions with his amazing video game skills every day.

43yxzzbzdx0y.png

Leigh Daniel "Danny Sexbang" Avidan is the other main member of Game Grumps. He joined the channel back in 2013. He's in a comedy rock band called Ninja Sex Party alongside Ninja Brian. Not much of a gamer himself on account of him being 74 years old and having huge gross thumbs, he's only good at about five games, all of which are old NES games.

y9ssyc0vdpv3.png

Ross "RubberNinja" O'Donovan joined Game Grumps alongside Dan back in 2013. Together, they hosted a show called Steam Train where they played PC games together. Steam Train has since been discontinued and Ross has mostly stepped back from being active on the channel. He is still in the occasional video, but these days he want back to his initial passion of being an animator. He's currently working on an his own animated show called Gameoverse.

h7rzx7jh5urr.png

Brian "Ninja Brian" Wecht is reponsible for the various Game Grumps social media channels, on top of being in the occasional video. For the most part, however, he's the other half of Ninja Sex Party, the band he created with Dan. He left behind a teaching position at a prestigious London university to make dick jokes full time.
Did you know that he has a Ph.D.?

jeeqz0ryxb6u.png

Suzy "Mortem3r" Berhow is Arin's wife. She has been on a couple Steam Rolled and Grumpcade episodes but mostly stays off-camera. She has her own channel here which is centered on make-up and fashion. She also has her own gaming channel, Kitty Kat Gaming.

I haven't included the rest of the OP because there's a fucking lot of it

jungleroomx on

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Supermega no longer edit for the show, that part needs an update.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Most of that old OP is out of date. Big crazy OP's are kinda pointless though, outside of for like a brand new game or something.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna call my repo service that only takes away Smart cars THE SMALL TOWING.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Most of that old OP is out of date. Big crazy OP's are kinda pointless though, outside of for like a brand new game or something.

The important part is at the very top.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ah in Arins main game he didn't see Ranni. So he didn't get the bell so he doesn't know he has the wolves.

Running over to Caelid without getting any levels is a bold move.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Open world, millions of ways to play Elden Ring, and Arin manages to pick the worst way all of the time.

I thought for sure we were going to have a full episode fighting hammer dude lol

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh man, the start of today's Danganronpa is amazing...

Also woo, I thought they were taking a break from it for awhile to do Elden Ring but looks like they're still going to do Danganronpa episodes :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited March 2022
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Oh man, the start of today's Danganronpa is amazing...

Also woo, I thought they were taking a break from it for awhile to do Elden Ring but looks like they're still going to do Danganronpa episodes :3

Saturday/Sunday: Dangon Ropa
    Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Elden Ring
    Tuesday/Thursday: One offs or whatever

Which is great because I really don't watch grumps on the weekend :)

urahonky on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I haven't watched grumps in forever but I'm loving their Daganronpa episodes.

I feel like my favorite application of the grumps are to these mostly-VN-but-a-little-extra type of games.

I'd really love to see them do the 999/VLR/ZTD series after the Daganronpa games.

Oh God that sounds like my nightmare lmao. If Arin didn't use his annoying jock voice in those games I'd watch them.

Uno... Anus? They're giving them selves enemas while playing uno? Man I'm getting too old for the grumps I think.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Uno... Anus? They're giving them selves enemas while playing uno? Man I'm getting too old for the grumps I think.

Markiplier and Crank and a lady YTer who's name I cannot recall had a project they did for a year called Unus Annus (latin for one year) where at the end of the year, they would delete the channel and all of the videos at the end, which they did, despite folks assuming they wouldn't.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    My daughter was a big fan of that and even asked for a hoodie for Christmas :D

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Goose! wrote: »

Markiplier and Crank and a lady YTer who's name I cannot recall had a project they did for a year called Unus Annus (latin for one year) where at the end of the year, they would delete the channel and all of the videos at the end, which they did, despite folks assuming they wouldn't.

Ah. But that didn't require them to stick things up their ass right?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Require? No.

Enlong wrote: »
    Require? No.

LOL

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Relevant to our interests.

Edit - Also enjoying the S2 opener of 10MPH.
    "Wait... no swearing? Can I say 'come'?"
    "As in you're going somewhere."
    "So like, I'm going to come?"

KoopahTroopah on
    Goose! wrote: »

Ah. But that didn't require them to stick things up their ass right?

Yeah like I said I'm pretty sure I'm just aging out of the comedy value of doing stuff like that. Although I didn't really like the gross humor of the 90's either so that's on me.

I was all set to watch the new 10MPH on my lunch break and 2 minutes into it I was like "nahhh I'm good". I also get repulsed by people belching into mics. They've been better about this the past years but it felt like almost every video I had to mute because they'd open by belch talking lol

We're getting Cruisin and Clue at least! And this minigolf is fun.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    That ability to pause the ball anywhere… like it’s broken in the worst way.

Nitsua wrote: »
    That ability to pause the ball anywhere… like it’s broken in the worst way.

The game definitely had no QA about it lol. I'm guessing the A wasn't supposed to stop the ball anywhere and it ended the turn or something early and instead of letting the ball continue it just froze it wherever it was.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    I guess this is Grumps-adjacent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRD9fXi1918

I like how Arin shows up in one of Ross's dreams and he's totally chill like he's his dream guide or something.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Shoocharu did a thing that's basically "best of my crazy Arin faces." It's about a minute long and also it's an ad for some new merch he made, featuring said faces. I'm not linking it here because as it includes some of his older stuff there is some depictions of things that probably count as NSFW.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Really hope Elden Ring isn't just Arin bumping his head against a boss a couple of times before moving on to something else.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Come on now, when have the grumps ever played a game because its popular for the views, and then immediately dropped it after a handful of episodes? Cough subnautica. Cough Zomboid.

edited March 2022
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Come on now, when have the grumps ever played a game because its popular for the views, and then immediately dropped it after a handful of episodes? Cough subnautica. Cough Zomboid.

You... guys saw they did like 200 episodes of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, right? Really weird energy to suggest Arin is a fake Souls fan.

shoeboxjeddy on
    I think BloodySloth means we want to see him kill the boss. Not that he's moving on from Elden Ring. He fought Margitt like 3 times and then nopes out back to Caelid (which is a horrible idea).

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I know I watched all of Bloodborne and posted about how baffling it was to watch someone go through the entire game while engaging with absolutely none of the story and none of the mechanics. Usually people either want to explore the setting but don't dig the gameplay, or skip the story but get deep into combat and build strategies. It was both impressive and frustrating that he was able to just brute force everything with one weapon all game.

Apparently I made it halfway through DS3, maybe I'll check that out again and see where/why I stopped...

uyvfOQy.png
    I think BloodySloth means we want to see him kill the boss. Not that he's moving on from Elden Ring. He fought Margitt like 3 times and then nopes out back to Caelid (which is a horrible idea).

Getting more levels or summons is not a horrible idea. Fighting the same boss for 2 hours and getting 2000 comments about "throwing" is a terrible idea.

Reynolds wrote: »
    I know I watched all of Bloodborne and posted about how baffling it was to watch someone go through the entire game while engaging with absolutely none of the story and none of the mechanics. Usually people either want to explore the setting but don't dig the gameplay, or skip the story but get deep into combat and build strategies. It was both impressive and frustrating that he was able to just brute force everything with one weapon all game.

Apparently I made it halfway through DS3, maybe I'll check that out again and see where/why I stopped...

Watching him play DS3 was infuriating because he was kind of terrible at everything, leveled up like an idiot, and still finished it.

With a guy named Sneezy Anus.

Apparently I stopped at the DLC, because I hadn't played it yet. The character seems to be named Macaronigrille, although they did have a five minute bit about confusing it with their Bloodborne character.

But yes, the playing was bad. Although it was after a long break I guess. Maybe he improves a bit later, but I'm not sure I'm able to handle this style of video anymore.

uyvfOQy.png

Watching him play DS3 was infuriating because he was kind of terrible at everything, leveled up like an idiot, and still finished it.

With a guy named Sneezy Anus.

That ending was fucking glorious! I loved it.

Honestly the reason I started Dark Souls was because Arin was able to beat them.

edited March 2022
    Apparently I stopped at the DLC, because I hadn't played it yet. The character seems to be named Macaronigrille, although they did have a five minute bit about confusing it with their Bloodborne character.

But yes, the playing was bad. Although it was after a long break I guess. Maybe he improves a bit later, but I'm not sure I'm able to handle this style of video anymore.

I like it when they're essentially glorified voiceovers.

Danganronpa 2 is entertaining, mostly because I'll never play it because it looks tedious as a single player experience. Or Kitty Love.

I also like the guest grumps when they do competitive games.

jungleroomx on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Watching a person get mad trying to beat a hard game over and over hasn’t been funny since the kaizo trend like 15 years ago, so Elden Ring would be an awful long-term series, especially since it’s a Souls game AND open world which sounds like a nightmare Grumps series.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    i've never noticed when people play games bad on LPs or streams because the game is the least relevant thing possible in the show, it's the personalities.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    It was all over for me and the Grumps when I saw someone LP a game, doing nearly a speedrun, while still being hilarious. Like I hadn't realized that being good at the game while making jokes was an option until then.

But yeah, stuff like DDLC or the Trauma games is where they really shine, and I still poke in to see their reactions to games I enjoy, like Dark Souls.

uyvfOQy.png