As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Movies]: Violence Edition

19596979899101»

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    That family has a brewery in Vermont that seems like it would be cool to go to.

It's a whole ski resort, actually, but I've only ever been to the brewery/restaurant. I can wholeheartedly recommend the food and beer!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I have no take, unlike the rest of you stupid peasants, you disordered rabble, you celebrity-obsessed rubes.
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Smile

I'm not a big horror movie person. TL;DW - If you've seen The Ring, The Grudge, or It Follows, you've seen a superior version of this story and can safely skip.

Deets
    I immensely disliked they they leaned so hard on (the appearance of, not actual) mental illness covering up the spoopy scary parts of what was happening to the victims. Felt like that was just really poor taste in storytelling here for people with actual mental issues.

The whole nu-metal aesthetic of that movie really turned me off.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    My ★★★½ review of V/H/S on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/3i6pm5

I've seen VHS94 but not this... I enjoyed it. I just couldn't handle all of the shaky cam.

If you haven't seen V/H/S 2, it's worth your time if only for the 'Safe Haven' segment, directed by Timo Tjahjanto. It is exceptionally well-made, and creepy as hell.

It's on the list!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It's a whole ski resort, actually, but I've only ever been to the brewery/restaurant. I can wholeheartedly recommend the food and beer!

Ive also beem there a couple of times when staying with some of my dad's extended family a few miles outside Stowe. Being from the Austrian alps the Trapp Lodge also keeps a damn fine selection of imported schnapps/aqua vitae strong enough to not just walk by itself, but could give Usain Bolt a run for his money.

Very similar to one of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City, Grunauer, that I frequent every few weeks.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    Put me down as not knowing the sound of music was based on real people. What's next Jaws?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Ive also beem there a couple of times when staying with some of my dad's extended family a few miles outside Stowe. Being from the Austrian alps the Trapp Lodge also keeps a damn fine selection of imported schnapps/aqua vitae strong enough to not just walk by itself, but could give Usain Bolt a run for his money.

Very similar to one of my favorite restaurants in Kansas City, Grunauer, that I frequent every few weeks.

Damn I only ever get a flight and a pint but maybe I'll have to take a gander at their mixed drinks next time!

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Can't believe people are talking about this while the [bad thing elsewhere] is still ongoing. This makes you trivial and me wise.
    Preacher wrote: »
    Put me down as not knowing the sound of music was based on real people. What's next Jaws?

There were actually a series of great white shark attacks (different sharks) on the eastern coast that prompted a shark culling that story took inspiration from

• Options
    My ★★★½ review of V/H/S on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/3i6pm5

I've seen VHS94 but not this... I enjoyed it. I just couldn't handle all of the shaky cam.

If you haven't seen V/H/S 2, it's worth your time if only for the 'Safe Haven' segment, directed by Timo Tjahjanto. It is exceptionally well-made, and creepy as hell.

It's on the list!

My ★★★½ review of V/H/S/2 on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/3ij9zj

@Johnny Chopsocky I liked it a lot!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »

There were actually a series of great white shark attacks (different sharks) on the eastern coast that prompted a shark culling that story took inspiration from

Theres a slim chance it was just one Bull Shark but most likely it was at least 2.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This whole thing just goes to show something I said earlier, and I will now make the convoluted and unconvincing case why.

Funny you should say that...

https://youtu.be/MjyrjKM7rwM

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Still one of my favorite bits of last dialogue in a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9H7aWgPv8

Also the real Von Trapps fled Austria in 1938 due to Hitler's annexation of it and the arrival of the Nazis, which while not done as dramatically as in the film was still portrayed accurately on the timeline.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    It's my personal headcanon that the Max in Cabaret is the same Max in Sound of Music.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I smile knowing that Christopher Plummer would be more interested in his Star Trek fans.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mocking people with disabilities or conditions is good.
    I didn't know until earlier this year Chris Farley actually was the first choice for Shrek, and recorded almost all his lines before he died. Then just with a memory jolt I looked it up and there's some storyboards being voiced by Farley and Murphy and just...man I would have liked that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYT5hQR4Q4

I love Mike Myers, Waynes World will always be a top 10 movie for me, but I never cared for Shrek, even as a kid. It always felt very forced compared to other animated movies. And just having Farley and Murphy working together, it's these two I grew up on working together and the contrast between normal Farley speaking and his bombastic voice when doing what others perceive of him (message!), that's such a more fitting role for Farley. We missed out on something special.

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    I'm not a racist but [racism].
    Criterion spine #801: I Knew Her Well

Directed by the overlooked Antonio Pietrangeli, this is a 1965 Italian drama about a young woman attempting to break into the film industry. While the film certainly captures her ambitions and fortitude in attempting to do so, it doesn't present a coherent progression. The film moves forward as if over uneven ground, each step a different distance apart. We cut from one man, one hairstyle, one unrewarding job to another in a move that seems to represent the treacherous flow of time for this woman and the capricious, unsteady opportunities of show business. It's a modernist structure, and one that wouldn't work if not for the precision of its craft and Stefania Sandrelli's totally believable performance. Adriana is exactly the sort of character these kinds of films are about: naive, pretty, vain, but genuine in her own way and ripe for exploitation, but the script and Sandrelli work to add impulse, motivation, and reflection; it's a psychologically astute and truthful portrait of someone navigating a sort of purgatory.

And though I appreciate the good work here, and find much of the assumed reasoning behind the narrative structure to be apt, it can feel at times glib and incomplete. Supporting characters are mostly undeveloped, and certain episodes easily outshine others. This is without mentioning the ending, which I can imagine ruins the film for many. It doesn't go that far for me, but it's a disappointingly unsophisticated writing decision, one that the strength of the rest of the film had convinced me it wouldn't make.

I think this is a hearty recommendation for those who like the sad glamour of Italian cinema from this period. There's a cynically wondrous atmosphere and some pretty rich creative decisions. It's an unconventional work that wobbles under the weight of its own ambitions, but its strengths make it something worth seeking out for those inclined.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hellraiser 2022 is neat. Nomi is a great Pinhead. Some of the monster design is cool as heck.
    particularly the main bad guy, Prick With A Permo Ouchie Machine In His Chest. That was gnarly. Quite liked the asphyxiation Cenobite too.

I think they changed up the rules on how / what the Lament Configuration is and does? I don't recall all the stuff about having 7 different wishes to choose from, but it fit very well.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Yep looking forward to watching Hellraiser tonight.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Hellraiser 2022 is neat. Nomi is a great Pinhead. Some of the monster design is cool as heck.
    particularly the main bad guy, Prick With A Permo Ouchie Machine In His Chest. That was gnarly. Quite liked the asphyxiation Cenobite too.

I think they changed up the rules on how / what the Lament Configuration is and does? I don't recall all the stuff about having 7 different wishes to choose from, but it fit very well.

I disagree

The film is pretty bland. It will never be a classic like the original. It might be closer to the story, I haven't read it. It is serviceable, I wouldn't say I was ever scared, I certainly wouldn't say that I was ever revolted by the Cenobite designs, they always look like plastic. Also some people look ok bald, the new Pinhead has a football head and it looks silly, and while I assume they post-produced some of original Pinhead's voice, this was over produced.
    Ultimately it just wasn't that interesting and was fairly predictable. The boyfriend was clearly involved with the bad guy and that was pretty evident from the start, although I thought it would be his son or something. None of the cast are very charismatic and so none of it is super compelling, the main actress was absolutely not someone to hang an entire film on, she and her boyfriend were generally dislikable, so it's hard to root for them, and I've been in the brother's position so not only is it really shitty for him to die through no fault of his own while trying to save his sister, but he will have been torn apart off screen and is presumably still being tortured? It's not clear. I think in the old films the Cenobites could add to their roster at will whereas here it seems you have to pick the Leviathan configuration (power) and that turns you into a Cenobite.

The ending is the weakest part. There's a part where the faceless Cenobite has just kind of given up throwing its arms at the girl (I can't remember any of these bland character's names, sorry) while bad guy is having a convo with Pinhead, it's like they just forgot they had characters sitting around, and it really made the main girl look bad because she's just sat there being passive until the film decides she now must do anything. The frantic energy, the looming threat, it's not there. Colin (I remember Colin) looking for the Box and the boyfriend looking at the door because the audience are too stupid to understand bad guy has snuck in, it sucks all the energy out of the scene. Bad guy should have just appeared and shanked Colin without Colin looking for the box. It's the same when main girl kills boyfriend, it seems like it should be a big deal that she's willingly killing someone but the film says "meh." The pacing is really bad.

Worst of all is the music. In that aforementioned Colin scene, there's background music going on and it's really low and mild and like a low quality TV show sequence and it doesn't seem to change, AT ALL, when Colin gets stabbed. Like that should be a big deal, he's done nothing wrong and he's sticking up for his boyfriends sister despite her being almost as responsible for all this as boyfriend. It's like the film itself is just "meh, I guess that happened." We don't get a proper reprise of the theme until like 100 minutes in.

Then the sister chooses the Lament configuration (life) instead of resurrection. Like, just ask the question what resurrection will get you, because they can clearly heal things magically, they could bring brother back to life, just confirm the state he will be in first then claim resurrection. It seems like it's meant to be a selfless choice but seemed pretty selfish because brother is fucked and so is poor Nora who did nothing wrong to anyone and was also helping her roommate's sister beyond anything expected of her. The film also randomly ends on the bad guy being transformed into a full Cenobite, it's a weird scene to conclude on and maybe there is some theme I'm missing but his transformation didn't seem thematic to him?

Now I've wrote all that, time to check the crew... So few credits although those credits seem to have a good reception. I don't know how the director forgot how to make a movie then. I did like the lore additions (to a point), I'm not high on the idea of needing numerous sacrifices to activate the box, that when you're marked they can bring you into Freddy's world and you have no chance of escape, and that you can be marked through no fault of your own. I remember the line "it is not hands that call us, it is desire," that meant they picked on the person responsible (at least at first, they're still dicks after all).
    If you want something to watch for Halloween, it's fine, don't expect anything amazing and you won't be disappointed, it's made-for-TV quality, and you will forget about it within a few hours and never feel the need to watch it again.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Lament is absolutely the correct choice.
    Lazarus woulda been some shit like you get killed and revived over and again. Only winning move is to not play with those fuckers.

I uh, admittedly didn't notice a ton of processing on Clayton's voice?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I enjoyed Hellraiser. I went in looking for some cool costumes and gnarly deaths and I got it. I just wish it wasn't as long.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I decided to go see Smile after seeing someone compare it to Countdown (derogatory). will report later if i still live.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I can't believe Casper (1995) only has a 51% on RT.

The institution of professional criticism is morally bankrupt and ought to be banned by international law as hostis humani generis.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    someone should make a new movie thread! or not?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I did!

It’s not mooving off the shelf

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.