As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Simon

The Wytch-Knight cuts the undead in half and slams his blade through its head before it hits the ground!

• Options
    Adventurers

The way is all but clear. The choices you make now are without limitation. There yet remains furious undead, out for blood… but should you engage with them, or flee the scene?

Your turn gang.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur pipes up, "I think we can get on the stone elevator thing and get away. Maybe we should save our energies for what else we might find?"

At the same instant, he raises his hand, shooting off another round of fire into the undead that had jumped itself at Alzav.

I think we have to kill that one just to clear it out of the way, but then I'm all for just going down without cleaning this level out.

Geth, roll 1d10 for Firebolt

Firebolt:
    1d10 3 [1d10=3]

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina, breathing a little heavily, says: "I cannot keep this aura up for long. If anyone is interested in the treasure, now's the time."

This Channel Divinity only last for a minute, and I don't have another one. It gives us the temp HP and the undead don't seem to like it, so if we're going for the treasure we should do it immediately

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Arthur

The half a corpse ignites! It dies with its hands clambering for Alzav’s neck.

Alzav! Your collar is scorched. But you’re otherwise in one piece.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    kime wrote: »

This Channel Divinity only last for a minute, and I don't have another one. It gives us the temp HP and the undead don't seem to like it, so if we're going for the treasure we should do it immediately

Looks like there are competing ideas.

If you want the treasure, it’s on you to go for it now.

You could get to the chest and retrieve whatever it is from it all in one turn.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Alzav rises to his feet, thankful for Kirina's blue glimmering veil that insulated him from the attack, and Arthur's quick work dispatching the creature. "My thanks!"

Alzav will try to Mage Hand and drag the chest (is that up or down?) the slope! If its uphill and difficult, I could burn my inspiration die to boost it maybe? Then I hoist or drag it and use remaining movement towards the elevator!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    A late start from me today. It's my day off and I slept in pretty good.

"I'm not really a treasure hunter, but it might have something that will help us. Start getting to the elevator, I'll be right there."

Solomon moves to the dip in the floor, some kind of small sinkhole perhaps. Time is of the essence, so there's not lot of time to look and see what undead is down there. He jumps into the pit, landing on top of the undead, hoping that the force of his landing might momentarily stun the creature. As Solomon lands, he quickly drops the lit torch and moves to the chest, opening it to see what's inside.

Mechanically, I'm moving to the chest, using my action to shove whatever undead is in there and then using my object interaction to open the chest (if I can grab it, too, great, otherwise I can grab it next turn). Intention is to knock it prone. And since I need a hand free, I have to drop the torch.

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Shoving

Shoving:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

Zomro on
  • Options
    haha, ok thats another approach! Did we simulpost? Should we edit? Or is it just hilarious that you brawl the bones while the box floats away. 🤣

• Options
    haha, ok thats another approach! Did we simulpost? Should we edit? Or is it just hilarious that you brawl the bones while the box floats away. 🤣

It took me a bit to write mine, so I didn't see yours until now. It does make for a pretty funny scene.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Evil-Eyed Gruush hasn't seen direct action like this since he fled his homeland. Though still game (despite the ragged breathing and dragging leg), his hides are now blood-splattered, and the man is badly cut in about half a dozen places. The skeletal thing nearly throws him down that bottomless shaft...

Pulling himself back to his feet as he is rescued from the fray by his comrades, Gruush sees the elevator rise out of the floor to his back. Grunting in acknowledgement to Simon, Gruush gasps, "Kid is right...no use staying fighting em' less yet looking to join em'. Grab whatever ent' nailed down and les' get the hell out of here!" The Rogue breaks off into a jog towards the risen stonework...

Gruush covers as much ground as he can between here and the elevator, and then READIES an action to attack anything that approaches him or his allies!

• Options
    As Solomon has already ran over to the treasure, Kirina will follow to bring along the Twilight Sanctuary.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I think I should still have movement, just not an action.

The crawler attacking Alzav dropped, Arthur looks to the group. A couple were moving off towards the dip in the floor, but Gruush started heading towards the elevator. Arthur follows in that direction, stopping halfway between the group and Gruush, both to keep an eye on them but also to stay within the light.

• Options
    Update in about 4 hours when I finish hitting things with a hammer.

• Options
    Update in about 4 hours when I finish hitting things with a hammer.

I hit a zombie with a hammer yesterday! :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Alzav

Primed with adrenaline and newfound comradeship, your Mage Hand grows to twice its usual size! You mentally grab the chest and haul it up the slope. It slides towards you with built up momentum as your Hand deflates, opening and tipping over in one motion. Inspiration spent.

Spilling from the chest you see:
    • 20 gold coins.
    • A ruby as big as your fist. Worth easily 200 gold, if not more.
    • A buckler made from solid gold! The price unimaginable!
    • An entire set of medium armour in a style you are unfamiliar with.

kfk6w5q7mfc3.jpeg
    7jagad4vjo34.jpeg

Solomon

You leap before looking, landing square on a terrible creature! Crouched on all… how many limbs? It’s easily 6 feet wide and equally long, maybe more. Tombstones and mounds of fungus feasting on black rot jut out from its carcass. It’s many eyes, like white pools, swivel around to look at you!

vqbvi5asv7fx.jpeg

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Contested Grapple

Even so, you topple it! It rears up, enraged, throwing you 5 feet before collapsing again, a pile of tangled limbs! It is prone! In fact, it won’t move until the end of the next round.

6s3t272oe3hk.jpeg

Contested Grapple:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The Undead

“Ssss…”, the huge, conjoined undead hisses, “Sssolomon.”

“A weak commander. Who could not see the villainy of the one he idolised. So naive. Come, join us.”

The lumbering undead sweeps across Solomon’s chest, then not a second later two other wretched limbs smash down on his head!

Solomon! You suffer 16 damage!

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Sweep
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Slam

Over by the elevator, a rotten oaf tackles Alzav! Make a contested grapple check!

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Grapple

Sweep:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]
    Slam:
    1d8+3 9 [1d8=6]
    Grapple:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    What is grapple? Acro/Ath, or attack, or Str/Dex

Geth roll 1d20 and add stuff later

E -- that's gonna be a low number!

and add stuff later:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    The Undead

“Ssss…”, the huge, conjoined undead hisses, “Sssolomon.”

“A weak commander. Who could not see the villainy of the one he idolised. So naive. Come, join us.”

Oh snap

Steam profile
  • Options
    What is grapple? Acro/Ath, or attack, or Str/Dex

Geth roll 1d20 and add stuff later

Athletics or Acrobatics, your pick.

• Options
    3+2=5 :o

• Options
    Alzav

The fungal fiend pulls you away from the elevator! It doesn’t want you to escape!

hudwtytd233y.jpeg

You can pick up all the spilled treasure in one action gang, because fun.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Assuming it's our go now-

Alzav grits his teeth as he struggles with the thing dragging him away, and calls up a sphere of fire in his hands. Rather than throwing it, he slams it into the creature's forehead, burning away bone and dark fungus for as long as he can hold it there.

Bonus action - swap my SP into a spell slot.

If this downs the beastie, or at least breaks the hold on me, I will backtrack to the lip of the pit to plan to support Solomon.

Geth roll 3d8 for fire damage

fire damage:
    3d8 10 [3d8=6, 1, 3]

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Alzav

You blow its bloody head off!

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Am I able to apply my heavy armor master to that damage? Either way, Kirina's temp HP soaked a good chunk of that damage.

"What would you presume to know of me, abomination? Disgraced and dishonored as I may be I still have a warrior's pride!" Solomon raises his longsword above him, "Lady of Justice, Matron of Scales! May you pass your judgement on this accursed creature!" For a brief moment, Solomon's sword shines brighter than the burning torch that lay next to him and then the light explodes in a flash as the sword is plunged into the depths of the undead monstrosity.

Haven't thought of a name for Solomon's deity yet, but some titles are easy enough. "Scales" in this case being like the scales of justice

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Longsword
    Geth roll 3d8 for Divine Smite

Divine Smite is 2d8 for 1st level slot and extra 1d8 because the target is undead. Rolled separately since it's Radiant damage, in case there's any resistance or vulnerability to factor in

Edit: Oh snap, that Smite did good. Solomon be mad.

Longsword:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]
    Divine Smite:
    3d8 22 [3d8=6, 8, 8]

Zomro on
  • Options
    u12xp0ggi4sh.jpeg

• Options
    Adventurers

You have triumphed!

Now all that is left is to descend into the depths… unless you still think there may be something of note here?

• Options
    DM thoughts:
    • Do you question Solomon about what you just heard?
    • Do you tarry here, knowing the undead might rise again?
    • Who takes the treasure?
    • Why is that lone figure locked in a distant cage?
    • How badass was that last bit with Solomon? Pretty badass.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Alzav staggers to the lip of the depression, sparks and flame starting to erupt from his fingers, only to see Solomon drive a radiant blade into the beast below.

Alzav blinks - this is unlike any magic he's ever seen. Do the gods yet live?

"Let's recover a moment in the hall, outside the worst of this storm."

Is any of this magical or useful? We can examine it during a short rest, if anyone needs it?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    Can Gruush try to get the figure in the cage's attention with a rock or a taunt or something?

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Can Gruush try to get the figure in the cage's attention with a rock or a taunt or something?

Hit me with, well, a ranged attack, or a Performance skill check!

• Options
    Is any of this magical or useful? We can examine it during a short rest, if anyone needs it?

Once we have established you’re all finished here I’ll tell you about your haul.

• Options
    Kirina had some... not kind thoughts about Solomon as he once again jumped into danger, especially when the chest just got magick'd away anyways. But, well, with Solomon's impressive blow, the thoughts kind of just trailed off in her head...

I had a post half written about that and then by the time I got back home to post, Solomon killed the monster :D

She walks over towards the lift. Kirina is ready to proceed, and would prefer to urge people along to leave the cavern and progress before her Sanctuary runs out.

Steam profile
  • Options
    "What a shot Solomon!" Arthur exclaims. Their does vanquished, he stops by a nearby corpse and begins to make a rough drawing of it, using his mage hand to move appendages around to her a better view.

Finally, "Ok then. To the elevator?"

• Options
    Solomon sheathes his sword, picks up the torch and climbs out of the pit. Though one would not call him a happy man, Solomon had a certain softness to him. But as he climbs out of the pit and returns to the group, there's a burning intensity about him, his gaze cold and sharp. After a few short moments, Solomon calms down, but there's still a hardness to him, whatever that creature said to him is still bothering him. How did it know? Did it read my mind? Were they here already? Solomon shakes his head. No time to dwell on it now. You need to stay focused. It's not just your life in danger now.

"We should get moving. Who knows what else might come crawling out after the noise we made. Is everyone alright?"

• Options
    Do we want to consider falling back to the belfry for a long rest? Alzav is good to continue but I dont know where everyone else stands. Also not sure if there is any chance we hit L3 before clearing the whole zone, which would favor a rest.

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »

Hit me with, well, a ranged attack, or a Performance skill check!

Geth roll 1d20+3 Performance

As he rushes past to the elevator, Evil-Eyed Gruush sees the figure locked inside the cage, and once more remembers the previous prisoner they had met, the one currently skulking the halls ahead of them somewhere right now. Thinking quickly, he calls up in sing-song to the caged person, "Dead-n-gone, or done-no-wrong? Last chance for another decade, skull'n'bones...ye' help us leave here still breathing, maybe we ken' return the favor. You'll be hard pressed to seek better bargains elsewhere!..."

Performance:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]

• Options
    Do we want to consider falling back to the belfry for a long rest? Alzav is good to continue but I dont know where everyone else stands. Also not sure if there is any chance we hit L3 before clearing the whole zone, which would favor a rest.

I believe the rules are that we gain a level when we clear a zone. And Kirina is read to move on, she's not hurt and has most of her spells. Features are gone, but still....

Steam profile
  • Options
    Ok! I have two spells left, and reasonable cantrips so I'm good to keep moving.