As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    It's by 3. Adds 1 to strength, reduce bludgeoning/piercing/slashing by 3

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    It's possible that there's an errata I haven't seen, but the wording from the PHB is "While you are wearing heavy armor, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage that you take from nonmagical weapons is reduced by 3." The only change I can find for it just changes the wording to all nonmagical attacks, not just weapons; "In the second bullet, “nonmagical weapons” is now “nonmagical attacks.” Errata

That being said, I'm totally cool with still taking a minimum amount of damage if it an attack does 3 or less damage.

Zomro on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    This battle seems easy even for an intro fight. <cue dramatic music> lol? I'm sure everything is fine.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Endless was probably sitting back like "I expected them to just walk away. Who attacks the random zombies?"

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Yep, you guys are right - I couldn't check where I was before, and I was mis-remembering.

Yeah - I was empathetic to the knight, but once undead get knocked down and mad, it seemed inevitable that we had to fight our way through. But maybe there is something else/worse here to deal with?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Yep, you guys are right - I couldn't check where I was before, and I was mis-remembering.

Yeah - I was empathetic to the knight, but once undead get knocked down and mad, it seemed inevitable that we had to fight our way through. But maybe there is something else/worse here to deal with?

Well that was very rude of someone to knock down and anger the undead. Definitely shouldn't have done that, whoever that person was. Alas, we'll never know...

Yeah realistically though Kirina probably should've just let y'all finish the undead off and taken a good look around, as the only person with both high ground and a view around the corner. But too bad, crossbow bolt to the face!

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Looks like I've more of less missed the fight? Could I get an updated map if any enemies remain?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Ok looks to me like nobody has finished off the armored undead so far so I'm going to do that.

Simon walked his way over to the armored undead with the gait of a man who knew he wasn't participating in a fight... but an execution.

"Poor fool" he said while looking away from the hobbled broken warrior in front of him. It collapsed in a huff but struggled to move. "An eternity standing guard. Then, in a moment dead to an accident. A confused fight devoid of need or malice."

He grabbed loosely at the undead's armor after taking care that it was free of acid. He pulled the creature up.

"Let's die on our feet shall we?" He release his hold on the undead's armor and before he could collapse brought his sword through it's neck.

I'm assuming since you said anybody could coup him that I don't need to roll damage?

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Simon

You have finished the knight with grace. He dies standing. You’d hoped for something more perhaps, but he leaves you without a revelation. There was relief there, you think, that whatever fragment of spirit was caught within that black armour can pass on fully.

You gain an Inspiration die! That’s advantage on the roll of your choice.

The knight’s ball and chain weapon is yours for the taking:
    A long length of chain that ends with a spiked morningstar-like iron ball. Somewhat unwieldy without a kind of handle and made for a large warrior. It almost seems like a punishment to carry such a weapon around with no means to stow it.
    Simple Melee Weapon
    1d8 bludgeoning
    Two-Handed, Reach

dh9lu3m72vb7.png

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    The Remaining Undead

Alzav! The burning damned and a second skeletal warrior come at you at full tilt! With frightening dexterity they both pass your defences, one aiming high, the other low. There may not be much brains between them, but they are clearly a team! You reel from the force, barely staying on your feet. Blood runs down your temple and left thigh openly. You blink. Hells.

You suffer 10 damage!

No sooner had it dealt a terrible blow to your thigh, the undead you set on fire falls flatly back. The grass around it catches fire—a funeral pyre.

The other spins its axe in its hand, dodging and weaving, shield raised.

Geth roll 1d6+1 for Hot Chop
    Geth roll 1d6+1 for Cold Chop

u69kx0h9xgv1.png

Purely out of character, there is an undead to the south that hasn’t moved this whole fight. You can go fight it, as it’s currently clutching a chest, but it’s not coming to you.

Hot Chop:
    1d6+1 6 [1d6=5]
    Cold Chop:
    1d6+1 4 [1d6=3]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Take that sucker out and you’re free to explore, here and then down the shallow river to a new location.

Initiative Order
    1. Solomon
    2. Simon
    3. Kirina
    4. Arthur
    5. Alzav
    6. Gruush
    7. One lone choppy boy

Feel free to pose me some questions any time. So long as your character could feasibly see it, I’ll give you an honest answer.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    While silently observing all of these guys from the sidelines to get their measure, Hidden Gruush's plan on his next turn is to Dash x1 SE, x5 S, x1 SW, x3 E, x1 S, x1 SE (would end up on the other side of the hill where the confused Undead is), remaining neither seen nor heard

• Options
    Rough morning at work for me, so I'll have a turn posted around my lunch break, which will be in a couple hours or so

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Gruush

While you were hidden from the weathered knight, you then proceeded to dance around on the spot gesturing wildly to the freshly formed party while mumbling obscenities. You’re no longer hidden by the time you reach your destination near Simon.

You’ve not much need to be, either. Though there will be plenty of opportunities to get stealthy in your future.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Yeah, that's fair

• Options
    edited April 2022
    As the Wytch-Knight steps away from the mercy kill that slumps at his feet, the creature in the Mask scuttles by crab-like behind, apparently believing itself unseen. The crouched man appears so intent on the chest to the west of here that he seems able to focus on little else. Suddenly taking note of Simon noticing him, the strange man tips its mask in a kind of professional deference. "Oh, hullo!", The already departing creature chimes pleasantly to the warrior in the Hat. "Lovely morning, innit'?"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Seeing just one "threat" remaining, Kirina turns to look out at the waterfall and river. Can she see anything of interest there? Kirina is looking to see if that's the best way out of this valley, and if there are any potential threats there.

You said you'd just give honest answers if we could feasibly see things, so not wanting a Perception check or similar?

Steam profile
  • Options
    On a similar note, would it be possible for Gruush to make an Investigation Check on the undead clutching the treasure chest from here?

• Options
    The tide of battle shifted quickly. At first it appeared as if the group of strangers were in threat of being overrun by the undead in the area. But as the undead are cut down, Solomon takes a closer look at them. Their equipment is battered and broken, maybe even beyond repair. The poor wretches. They may not have even been warriors before they died. Solomon looks over his shoulder and sees a strange man being attacked by an undead assailant, with other undead corpses along the ground next to him. "Behind you! I am not your enemy!" Solomon calls out so as not to surprise the man. He arrives next to the man and swings his sword against the undead attacking him. He sees the wounds the man has suffered and Solomon asks, "Are you alright, stranger?"

Geth roll 2d6+3 for Damage

I should have enough movement to get right below Alzav, unless I cannot take a diagonal in the area I run through and the space where the corpse is difficult terrain.

Damage:
    2d6+3 12 [2d6=3, 6]

• Options
    Kirina

Around the dead body on the platform is a common shortbow and 20 arrows still in good enough condition. The body is dressed in archaic attire; you’ve seen less fancy looking but similar gear on the rangers of your homeland.

Away from the dwindling fray you see down the slow river stretching out to a clearing. No high chalk walls, just an expanse of shallow water with hills in the distance. Grey clouds hang over the lake, but strong winds allow shafts of golden light to fall intermittently.

Various small birds nest in thin trees along the river bank, with larger ones out towards the lake.

The river is the clear way out of the valley. The immediate dangers lay more getting drenched should you slip, perhaps a lost trinket or two, but you’d manage together.

Gruush

You’ve no clear line of sight, but you can just about make out two rotting boots laid out. The undead holding the chest is prone and easy enough to kill without taking retaliation. If it ever got angry along with the others, it’s clearly not thinking at all now.

Solomon

You’re right, of course. These undead are dressed as common militia at best, if not peasants on the run.

Tell us how you slew it. It’s dead.

The valley becomes silent save for the beating of tiny wings and the rain, a touch heavier now. The sun has risen. It is morning.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Simon

Take a stick from a fallen undead magic user, if you wish. They have no special properties save their use as a magic foci (any spell caster can use it).

Adventurers

What do you do?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Solomon swings his sword in a vertical arc to avoid htting the stranger next to him. With a mighty downward strike, Solomon cleaves through the undead creature's shoulderblade and the sword drives down to its navel. He kicks the now slain creature to the ground to free his sword and hefts it back over his shoulder.

• Options
    Kirina grabs the shortbow and arrows, first. Might as well.

She thinks to what the Knight said in Giant...

Has Kirina ever heard of the name "Fenwing" before?

She's still in a safe position with a bunch of unknowns, so she crouches by the edge of the platform to watch the others first for a bit.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Arthur watches the undead get dropped by Solomon, and lets out a small sigh of relief. The general threat around them had ceased, they were all still standing, and the battlefield was now silent. Scanning around once more, he sees two undead but they weren't moving towards anyone, so he was content to leave them be. Whatever he might have expected coming in here, and he had read a good many books that suggested what could happen, it wasn't the same as it actually happening to him. He felt a mix of terror and excitement.

Moving ahead, he put distance between the platform the knight had been standing on, and moved over towards Solomon and the now umoving undead. Dead undead? Dead? What is the correct description?. He pulls out his book again, flipping to the page immediately after the page where he was writing his notes about the undead bush and starts scribbling away again, capturing details of the undead that he had seen in that area, the impacts of fire, the ability seen to cast a spell, the relatively frailty of their deceased bodies.

Finally, he moves ahead towards the platform that is closest to the River. He keeps his eye on where Solomon was, now trusting the man the most of those assembled. A woman stands upon it, and he looks up at her from the ground. "Hello there. See anything of interest ahead?"

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Gruush

You’ve no clear line of sight, but you can just about make out two rotting boots laid out. The undead holding the chest is prone and easy enough to kill without taking retaliation. If it ever got angry along with the others, it’s clearly not thinking at all now.
    Would it be possible for Gruush to sneak over there, kill the undead, and take his stuff, without the rest of the group noticing?

- Gruush rationalizes that these guys are already dead, so he doesn't even really view it as "killing", just giving them another little "push" to their proper fate
    - He really wants whatever's in that chest, having lost nearly everything on the journey over, and its not like Dead-McSad is getting much use out of it
    - Even if the contents of the chest end up being useless to him, he'd very much like a Commoner outfit of his own for disguise purposes, should he need to "disappear" again

However, he's already realized the nearby strangers are probably his best bet of survival out here, so if there's a chance he could get caught Murder-Hobo-ing, he'll pass in the interest of not seeing like a total creep (even he's self aware enough to realize that's a bad look)

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Arthur watches the undead get dropped by Solomon, and lets out a small sigh of relief. The general threat around them had ceased, they were all still standing, and the battlefield was now silent. Scanning around once more, he sees two undead but they weren't moving towards anyone, so he was content to leave them be. Whatever he might have expected coming in here, and he had read a good many books that suggested what could happen, it wasn't the same as it actually happening to him. He felt a mix of terror and excitement.

Moving ahead, he put distance between the platform the knight had been standing on, and moved over towards Solomon and the now umoving undead. Dead undead? Dead? What is the correct description?. He pulls out his book again, flipping to the page immediately after the page where he was writing his notes about the undead bush and starts scribbling away again, capturing details of the undead that he had seen in that area, the impacts of fire, the ability seen to cast a spell, the relatively frailty of their deceased bodies.

Finally, he moves ahead towards the platform that is closest to the River. He keeps his eye on where Solomon was, now trusting the man the most of those assembled. A woman stands upon it, and he looks up at her from the ground. "Hello there. See anything of interest ahead?"

Kirina looks down at the boy (young man?) below. He's young and not carrying any weapons, so probably a magic user? She couldn't see clearly before, but there seemed to be some flash of light around the boy and the Knight earlier, before the Knight cried out in pain (the Chromatic Orb). Yeah, definitely some sort of magic user. But still, he looks innocent. And even now, it's so hard to turn away from innocents...

She calls down, "water ahead, and probably the only way out. We'll all get wet, unfortunately, unless you plan to head back somehow. Did you come with any of the others here? Or alone?"

Vigilant Blessing on Kirina herself, again. She's just gonna always put that on herself after every fight, but I'll try to remember to say it :D

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Gruush

Would it be possible for Gruush to sneak over there, kill the undead, and take his stuff, without the rest of the group noticing?

- Gruush rationalizes that these guys are already dead, so he doesn't even really view it as "killing", just giving them another little "push" to their proper fate
    - He really wants whatever's in that chest, having lost nearly everything on the journey over, and its not like Dead-McSad is getting much use out of it
    - Even if the contents of the chest end up being useless to him, he'd very much like a Commoner outfit of his own for disguise purposes, should he need to "disappear" again

However, he's already realized the nearby strangers are probably his best bet of survival out here, so if there's a chance he could get caught Murder-Hobo-ing, he'll pass in the interest of not seeing like a total creep (even he's self aware enough to realize that's a bad look)

Kirina should have a pretty open view there with high ground and such, I think? She's a bit distracted by Arthur now, to be fair though, instead of just looking out at everyone like she was a moment ago... Up to Endless on how that'll work :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Gruush

Kirina should have a pretty open view there with high ground and such, I think? She's a bit distracted by Arthur now, to be fair though, instead of just looking out at everyone like she was a moment ago... Up to Endless on how that'll work :D

Ahhh, she'd probably have a pretty good view of that from where she's standing huh? :#

In that case, Gruush will probably find his way north towards where everyone seems to be assembling to assess the next move- sit at the edge of the conversation, hope the group doesn't realize/doesn't care when he tags along behind

• Options
    In fairness, Kirina wouldn't hold it against you to kill the undead and loot the chest. But Gruush wouldn't know that probably :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Kirina & Gruush

Back south, you spy a half submerged chest with a vacant undead clinging to it tightly. It’s not a treasure chest with all the trimmings, it’s more on the pauper’s side of things. Big enough to carry a number of trinkets or prized but mundane possessions. No complex lock, just a little catch that can be turned by hand.

Kirina, make a Perception check.

The following spoiler is only for @mrpaku
    Make a Stealth check.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Uggggh I want to click on things! So cruel :P

Geth roll 1d20+3 for Perception

Edit: lollll, apparently Arthur is very distracting

Perception:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options

Kirina

Not especially. You assume it to be the lord of the surrounding area. Fen, as in a low and marshy or frequently flooded area of land. Wing, as in… part of a building? It sounds a reasonable enough surname for a noble house. Not an invading force, that much must be true, for the name is surely of this land.

• Options

Kirina

Not especially. You assume it to be the lord of the surrounding area. Fen, as in a low and marshy or frequently flooded area of land. Wing, as in… part of a building? It sounds a reasonable enough surname for a noble house. Not an invading force, that much must be true, for the name is surely of this land.

Ha, my initial thought was "wing = DRAGON". Played some of Dragonfall for the first time recently, so "Firewing" was in my mind.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for A Tasteful Murder

A Tasteful Murder:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]

• Options
    You barely manage to avoid detection, but nevertheless the deed is done. You pick the undead’s cold fingers from the chest and pilfer the contents.
    • 10 gold coins. The heads depict a crown, the tails a spiral of stars.
    • A finely made cup, bowl, jug and a large silver spoon.
    • An off-white gown, muddy at the hem.
    • A simple silver ring, unadorned.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Adventurers

What a terrible shame that there was never anything worth taking from that chest to the south. It’s clearly open and empty when you get a good look at it.

qgh4da04x0f2.jpeg

To traverse the river, I’ll need an Acrobatics check from each of you to determine your skill at balancing along the precarious and muddy edge. A failure to pass the DC will not mean some terrible fate, but varying degrees of hardship.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    You could take a good old fashioned swim if you like too. It’s a slow one, you’re heading the way it’s flowing and you’re all in good condition, so you’ll need no roll.

Feel free to snoop more if you need to.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    You barely manage to avoid detection, but nevertheless the deed is done. You pick the undead’s cold fingers from the chest and pilfer the contents.
    • 10 gold coins. The heads depict a crown, the tails a spiral of stars.
    • A finely made cup, bowl, jug and a large silver spoon.
    • An off-white gown, muddy at the hem.
    • A simple silver ring, unadorned.

OOC: Well, you're a real piece of shit, huh? Do you feel good about what you've done now, monster?
    IC: Ohh! Ten gold coins! And a dress! A dress!

As Kirina and Arthur talk about next steps, the loping figure of Gruush emerges from the south, somehow managing to look sheepish in spite of the mask. The Rogue is in the middle of stuffing something into his satchel with the most delicate care. Slowly approaching the edge of the group, the masked man takes immediate note of Alzaz and Solomon, and bows deferentially as he approaches. "Of the still-breathing, then?", Gruush addresses the dirt at the Sorcerer and Paladin's feet. "Good...good..." Unprompted, Evil-Eyed Gruush extends his hand without looking up, the silver ring pointed at them with something like pride. "Got a new ring! So, what'd you two come here for?"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    "That wound looks pretty bad. I doubt it's life threatening, but it should be addressed lest it fester." Solomon says to the man. "If you wish, I could take a look at it for you. I have some, admittedly, limited skill in healing. We may be safe for now, but who knows what other creatures may lurk nearby. Oh, forgive my manners, I have yet to introduce myself. I am Solomon Fellhand."

If can Lay on Hands Alzav if he wants / needs it.

Solomon looks to Simon, "And apologies for my presumptuousness, Sir Simon. It was not my intention to command you. Old habits die hard, as they say. I am no longer a commander and you are not a subordinate," he reaches his hand out, "Though I would be glad to call you a comrade."

@nightmarenny I also want to be sure that you did not think I was trying to tell you how to do your turns. Just erring on the side of caution in case my RP came off as anything else

Zomro on
  • Options
    Edit: lollll, apparently Arthur is very distracting

He's got that boyish charm. The kind where you want to place a hand on each side of his face....and then just shake and shake until he explains what the hell he was thinking

Arthur looks out towards the water as Kirina responds. "Oh. Wet. Right." It seems to darken his spirits for a moment but they rebound quickly. "Still, there's more adventure to be found." He smiles as he looks out into the distance.

He paused a moment, lost in thought, "Oh right. Alone. Came here alone." He turns back to look up. "Read plenty about it before I did though. Some great books, though none will be as accurate as mine" He gestures to the book he is holding. "And You? Any of them familiar?"