As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D ?E] The Vastness Beyond - End Times

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Simon

You hear a hollow slam as the spiked ball connects! Fenwing struggles with the change of direction, but manages to correct themselves, rising into the sky. Large feathers drift down and come to rest on the lake’s surface.

Perhaps it’s the madness of battle, you’re sure if only you could pull down on the chain at just the right moment that you could wrap it around its leg!

Make a… Athletics check.

• Options
    Or back out, it’s up to you.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Oh no, we're doing this!

Simon pulls hard on the chain, lets out a cry of exertion and prays for the best!

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Bird King Wrangling

Bird King Wrangling:
    1d20+5 16 [1d20=11]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Simon

The chain tangles with Fenwing’s huge talons! It is dragged down, yet still stays airborne! You swing from the arch-beast, your boots skimming the lake! Fenwing has been forced back 5 feet, now unable to rise high into a loop.

Fenwing’s flying speed has been reduced to 20 feet from 45. It cannot fly any higher than 10 feet from the lake.

Fenwing suffer extra 1 damage from being jostled about.

Geth roll 1d4 for Talon Bustin’

Talon Bustin:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    drug4rzvhitn.png

Solomon

Though Simon spins and swings in the air beneath Fenwing, you do have a clear space to make your jump.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Okay folks, now it’s your turns.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Ok I'm glad that did something!

Speaking of diamonds - Arthur and I both have Chromatic Orb, which requires a 50gp diamond. I had assumed that I would have that since I had the spell, but if not let me know and I will swap my casting to a Firebolt.

Move E, E, NE

Alzav grits his teeth as the heron dives and slashes, it's wingbeats throwing wind and droplets of blood from its blade as it recovers from the dive. A crackling sphere of pink electricity rises with it, striking the creature where the wing meets the side of its body and burning a hole through its feathers to its body.

Geth roll 3d8 for Pink Lightning

Pink Lightning:
    3d8 13 [3d8=4, 3, 6]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Alzav

Legitimately, I paid no mind to the materials required for your spells. We can assume you have what you need for the spells you know, but if you were to learn one outside of picking one on levelling up in your class it’ll need special stuff.

The lighting arcs from your finger tips and races across Fenwing and down through the chain and into Simon, then grounds itself into the lake! Simon couldn’t let go if they wanted, their muscles locking down tight under the assault!

Fenwing is haggard. Its wing beats are out of sync, which lowers Simon a foot into the lake.

Simon suffers 1 damage!

Geth roll 1d8 for How Electricity Works

How Electricity Works:
    1d8 1 [1d8=1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Can Gruush climb the ladder out of the water (I figured 10 feet difficult terrain), move x3 NE, x1 N along the platform/up the spire, and attempt to Hide (hopefully a little easier, now that Simon is keeping the Bird Prince busy by kicking it's ass)?

Gruush's goal now is to ascend the spire next turn and start pot-shotting this guy with a shortbow obnoxiously to draw him over; after that try to rope it/set up that desired plunging attack/at the very least, buy time for the group

• Options
    Sure thing. Still a broad daylight hide, but let’s see how it goes.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur stood confidently, right up until the point where the blade slashed him across the chest. His eyes go wide and he coughs, feeling the blood leaking out of his chest. He collapses in a bit, bending over slightly as he tries to pull himself together.

He extends a hand again, holding himself upright by an arm propping him up from his thigh, trying a different way of hurting the beast. Simple flame forms and he sends it flying.

Geth, roll 1d10 for Firebolt

Firebolt:
    1d10 7 [1d10=7]

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Simon made a fun opening here. I'll join in!

Solomon sees Simon entangle Fenwing's talons with the large flail. "Excellent, Sir Simon! Let's bring the bird down!" Emerging onto the dry land, Solomon bursts into a full sprint and leaps off of the tiny island towards the massive heron and grabs onto it, attempting to drive it down with the momentum.

Running start jump towards Fenwing and then Athletics check to try and grapple it. I have a high jump of 5-6ft with a running start and a long jump of 15 or so ft. It's one size larger so I should be able to grab it, otherwise I can grab onto Simon's chain and hoist it with him. Fenwing gets an Athletics or Acrobatics check to avoid the grapple. Either way I'll land next to Simon

Geth roll 1d20+5 for Grapple Athletics

Grapple Athletics:
    1d20+5 21 [1d20=16]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Arthur

A fine spell! The blast hits Fenwing in the chest. Embers and sparks fall over Simon as he jangles on the chain.

Solomon

You rush out of the water and leap!

Your timing is perfect (or perfectly lucky) as you land on Fenwing’s shoulder the exact moment its wing is down, which flings you into the air as they rise, allowing you to swing your legs either side of its neck as you fall, to ride it like a mount!

Simon

Every other second you can feel the soft mud of the lake’s bed with your tiptoes.

You can only move up to 10 feet from Fenwing on your turn. This will drag Fenwing 5 feet.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Can Birds Grapple?

Can Birds Grapple?:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    While I'm being dipped into the water is there an opportunity to grab something or hook my leg around something? I'm thinking either pulling it down or maybe attaching the chain to the ground so Fenwing is trapped.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Solomon

While you ride Fenwing you can make an Animal Handling check as a free action on your turn to forcibly move Fenwing 10 feet in the direction of your choosing.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Evil-Eyed Gruush continues to swim out from the impending melee, rapidly doggy-paddling his way over towards the woodwork and towering rock that sits atop the lake, watching high over all. Higher-ground, the Masked Man thinks frantically to himself. Hunted by a cat, with wings an' a sting! Gotta-get-up-and-out! He pulls himself up the ladder upon the deck, wet and panting...and turns to see none of the others had joined him. Confused, the Rogue looks out upon the sight of the lake, seeing the ruckus now occuring between the Giant Bird and his new..."associates?"

"Could've done the..." Gruush gestures behind himself at the Spire and the drop, protesting to no one in particular. With a frustrated sigh, the Rogue finally finishes, "Fine then. Fuck." Withdrawing a Shortbow from where it sits tucked within the loops of his pack, Evil-Eyed Gruush fits an arrow, and blows an orange strand of hair from his mask hole. "We'll do it your way!" And seeing the bird once more about to take flight about the lake, let's his arrow fly....

Up the ladder, x3 NE, crouch behind the spire and take a pot-shot with Gruush's Shortbow, aiming for the good eye...

Geth roll 1d6 piercing (Shortbow)

piercing (Shortbow):
    1d6 5 [1d6=5]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    While I'm being dipped into the water is there an opportunity to grab something or hook my leg around something? I'm thinking either pulling it down or maybe attaching the chain to the ground so Fenwing is trapped.

Good thinking, but unfortunately not right now. This is a sparse, open floodplain.

The nearest things to tie Fenwing down to would be one of the three trees, or the rotten old platform.

• Options
    Gruush

You plink an arrow into its neck, a whisker away from Solomon’s right hand!

• Options
    Alright then for my next turn I just drag him as far east towards the platform as I can.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    So I have mounted a giant heron that is wielding a huge longsword. Awesome.

• Options
    Oops! :D Glad it was just 1 damage

• Options
    83vbi3ysceyq.png

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kirina watches Alzav, the helpful sorcerer, walk off over to the side and start playing a song.

...what? Why is he--

Fenwing swoops in and attacks her companions with its giant blade.

Why does it even HAVE a sword? She prepares a healing spell--

Simon swings his newly acquired ball-and-chain and hooks it onto the birds talons and starts getting dragged along through the air with it.

WHAT?

Suddenly pink lightning comes from the side, striking both bird and newly-acquired-rider.

Kirina winces. "Are you sure you want to be up there--" She starts to call out, preparing a spell to help Simon get down safely, when SLAM suddenly now Solomon is also on the bird.

!?!?

Fire hits both Simon and the bird. An arrow plunges into either Fenwing or Solomon, at this point Kirina gives it even odds on hitting either of them.

THIS is the group I've found myself with, huh. This is.... something. Something, for sure. Well, if we're just gonna rage at the this until it falls...

Kirina casts Toll the Dead on Fenwing.

This does extra damage now since Fenwing is damaged, but Fenwing gets to make a Wisdom saving throw to try and dodge... I was thinking of trying Command again, but with this crew I feel like having a backup Healing Word would be good, even with our extra HP :D:D

Geth roll 1d12 for Toll the Dead's necrotic damage

Toll the Dead's necrotic damage:
    1d12 5 [1d12=5]

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Kirina

You have drawn Fenwing’s attention. The sound of a tolling bell has made the arch-beast furious.

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Bird Save

Bird Save:
    1d20+1 20 [1d20=19]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    If you could roll just a bit lower on these saves I'd appreciate it kthxbai

Also I'm sure angering the gigantic arch-beast will have no negative repercussions.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Fenwing

Swift, frightfully so for a creature so large, Fenwing drops from the sky, crushing Simon to the bottom of the floodplain. They kick him aside as they stalk a few paces towards Kirina.

Simon! You take 5 damage!

Fenwing turns their head a worrying amount to the north, then swings back, launching their colossal long sword at Kirina!

Kirina! Make a Dexterity saving throw!

The blade pierces the soft mud. Then it shifts. As if time was reversing, it seemingly pulls itself from the water. It rises and rests horizontally in the air. Looking over to Fenwing, its scarred, green gemstone pitted side seems to glare at Kirina, eyeless, yet eeirily knowing.

The floating blade tilts. It thrusts through Kirina side!

Fenwing no longer wields a weapon; it can now attack with its beak, perhaps even put one of you in its mouth! Its sword, now thrown, is acting by its will, but will inflict less damage.

Whether the thrown blade dealt damage remains to be seen, but the second strike certainly did.

Geth roll 3d4 for Crushing Damage
    Geth roll 2d6+2 for Potential Impalement
    Geth roll 1d8+2 for Spiritual Weapon

Crushing Damage:
    3d4 5 [3d4=1, 2, 2]
    Potential Impalement:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=2, 5]
    Spiritual Weapon:
    1d8+2 3 [1d8=1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    tzhlcwez6066.jpeg

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Dexterity Saving Throw to dodge the thrown GIANT SWORD

Dexterity Saving Throw to dodge the thrown GIANT SWORD:
    1d20-1 17 [1d20=18]

Steam profile
  • Options
    Simon

Simon grips the chain and begins to pull Fenwing eastward well before his head breaks the surface, such is his determination. His nose is streaming with blood.

josrfyopqlwv.jpeg

As per request.

• Options
    Kirina

You dodge roll away from the flung slab of sharp metal, but aren’t prepared for it to animate for a second attack.

You suffer only 3 damage.

• Options
    Adventurers

Though terrifying, you sense you have begun to tip the scale. If Simon and Solomon can build enough momentum Fenwing will no doubt keep striding towards the rock, where your shadowy ally is taking aim…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y22zbwvGq0&list=PLP305x78doI0efPOH7_cIlMXMR5WwMUOZ&index=5

• Options
    Solomon straddles Fenwing's neck with his legs and grips onto the creature with his left hand to stabilize himself. "I pray you'll forgive me for the indignity I've inflicted upon you." Solomon whispers. With his right hand, Solomon draws his longsword. "Yet you were the one who started this battle and we are under no obligation to die for you." Solomon brings the longsword down upon Fenwing's head, jostling it towards the platform where Gruush awaits.

Just makes more sense to use my 1h weapon in my current situation.

Geth roll 1d8+3 for Longsword Damage
    Geth roll 1d20+1 for Wrangling That Dang Bird

Longsword Damage:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]
    Wrangling That Dang Bird:
    1d20+1 7 [1d20=6]

• Options
    Kirina sloshes over to the east as far as she can, clutching the gash in her side. Then, she casts Toll the Dead again on the Fenwing. If it's angry at me, hopefully the others can seize the opening.

Geth roll 1d12 for Toll the Dead damage if the Fenwing fails its DC 13 Wisdom save

Toll the Dead damage if the Fenwing fails its DC 13 Wisdom save:
    1d12 2 [1d12=2]

Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Arthur grows more confident as he sees his allies all striking against the bird, one riding atop it, another dragging it away. He steadies himself, pushing back fully upright, extending his hand again, thrusting a fist full of fire towards the bird again.

Geth, roll 1d10 for Firebolt

Firebolt:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

• Options
    Alzav sends his own lance of fire at the beast, aiming for the same spot injured by Arthur.

Geth roll 1d10 for Firebolt

Firebolt:
    1d10 4 [1d10=4]

• Options
    The water was cold and seemed to get colder by the second. Colder and heavier. Still Simon pulled with all his might towards the platform where he hoped a swift decisive action awaited. When the shock had run through his body he'd shaken it off. Friendly fire was always a danger hen one embraced non-traditional strategy. Fenwings feet pressed against his chest had been a different story. For a moment he'd felt he was choking as his evacuated lungs filled with water but moments later he was back above water no worse for ware(excepting a possible broken rib). He took one look back at the giant Heron being pelted with all manner of projectile. Was that Solomon attached the bird? He was beginning to like the man, he thought.

The sight of that chaos. Of this group laying waste to the poor beast solidified his resolve. "Get the Heron within spitting distance of the platform and they'll do the rest. Or I can tie it down, at least." He put his shoulder back into the game and pulled once again.

The sight of my new friends lighting this thing up pops my second wind and I continue moving forward. Let's see if I wake up to a dead boss.

Geth roll 1d10+1 for second wind

second wind:
    1d10+1 11 [1d10=10]

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    99hhto41dr3k.jpeg

Solomon

You ram the longsword home! Fenwing runs off, wings spread!

Kirina

“No!”, Fenwing screams. Or was that just a noise? You’ll never know for sure.

Geth roll 1d20+1 for Bird Save

Arthur & Alzav

Your double dragon fire strikes scorches Fenwing’s feathers away!

Fenwing can no longer fly.

Gruush

Though perhaps less dramatic, you could easily run back across the platform and leap to land a brutal strike against Fenwing!

The bird looks done for!

If Fenwing survives the round it’ll get two good attacks in, but the following round your dog pile will definitely end it.

Bird Save:
    1d20+1 17 [1d20=16]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Gruush

Though perhaps less dramatic, you could easily run back across the platform and leap to land a brutal strike against Fenwing!

The bird looks done for!

Watching the brawl with an eagerness bordering almost on mania, Gruush's smile continues to climb up his face beneath the mask as the Heron is bashed back and forth by his new "friends". A capable lot, he thinks, stroking his beard. Taking note of the magicians burning the creature's wings from it's side, he whistles in appreciation. Quite capable. Shouldn't leave all the fun to them, least they decide they don't need me around for the trek forward.

The Masked Man carefully replaces his Shortbow within the pack, and from either hip withdraws his pair of bone-blades from their sheathes. Walking, then immediately breaking into a run, the Rogue darts towards the melee beneath the western end of the boardwalk, daggers held overhead high in each hand! He leaps the edge of the wall, aiming for the center-mass on the giant bird, letting out a bestial shriek into it's face as he falls, "Aiiiirghhhhhhhh!"
    Geth roll 1d4+3 Knick (Dagger#1)

Geth roll 1d4 Knack (Dagger#2)

Knick (Dagger#1):
    1d4+3 6 [1d4=3]
    Knack (Dagger#2):
    1d4 4 [1d4=4]

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Gruush

A plunging strike to a foe harried on all sides? Let’s call that double damage.

A visceral heat explodes over you as you jam your daggers into Fenwing; you’re drenched in blood. Even as the arch-beast tumbles like a felled tree, it manages to grip you with its long beak and prize you free, releasing a second spray of blood out in a high arc. It throws you through a rotten beam supporting the platform. It collapses into the lake!

Gruush! You suffer 4 damage.

Make a Constitution saving throw…

Fenwing falls with a great splash, sending waves out across the lake. It has stopped raining.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3TEHfq-S8-4

Adversarial Liege Extinguished

Kirina

The huge blade blasts off towards you, descending, descending! It cuts through the water—then it suddenly veers off towards Gruush… but it keeps descending until it is stuck deep into the lake bed.

The fine reflective steel becomes dull before your eyes.

Geth roll 2d6 for Final Reaction Damage

Final Reaction Damage:
    2d6 4 [2d6=3, 1]

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d20 Constitution Save (Gruush)

Constitution Save (Gruush):
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]