Options

[Chat] with friends.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I l
    I have been astonished at how perfect my cat is — incredibly affectionate and loving, very playful, very fun, obsessed with us and always wants to be around us, never bites or scratches, always uses the litter — while also being a ton of work because he's so demanding and needy and loud

The variability in cat behaviour and temperament is far greater than is broadly advertised

I currently live with really terrible pet owners and this made me laugh. I was struck by the idea that a pet being loud and needy meant extra work, because my roommates just don’t do that work and neglect the animal. Since you’re a good person that wouldn’t even occur to you.

I wish to meet your cat.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    🐈
    I'm diving back into game maker

I really want to make some little microtactics games but it turns out turn based games are harder to rig up than many other genres! Because you have to explicitly lay out specific rules for the structure of turns and etc, rather than adapting a little platforming engine and seeing what it does

Anyway I want to make a surreal tactics game where you spend the campaign climbing a vast tower, in which all units are immortal and can only be knocked around or pushed off edges to fall further down the tower, including you. You can recruit people on your way up, build or ruin relationships, form rivalries, lose and regain party members as they catch up to you or get knocked off, etc; some people have decided to just live on the tower and make do

The final reveal is that the tower is a crucible for stored consciousnesses; they solved immortality in the real world but don't have enough room for people to all be immortal, so they consign most consciousnesses to virtual towers where they compete to get to the top and receive a chance for instantiation in a real body, as a cynical way to keep the population limited

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    🦉
    credeiki wrote: »
    (Sphinx cats are too expensive)

nooo they are so ugly don't do it

go for fuzzy

Sphinx cats are very cute imo.
    Lmao. Only after getting all the cat stuff do I feel like maybe. Maybe. I shouldn’t move forward and get a furry companion.

What are your concerns?

I have found having a cat to be pretty anxiety-inducing, though overall worth it.

Having a cat depend on me and my on again off again allergies to cats.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    🐈
    lmao I’m at work 🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Chanus wrote: »
    i sometimes wonder how my life might be different if i hadn't burned out on Everquest shortly after being, like, actually involved in its development as what they called a Community Leader

like i had signed an NDA and was gonna go out to San Diego with a group and actually face-to-face with the devs, many of whom i had a forum-friendly relationship with at the time already and had many text conversations with about the game and stuff

but right as that all started happening i just hit the wall and lost interest

probably something more to that regarding my own brain but

wild times

at one point in my early twenties i had several actual professional comic book writers, ppl who have gone on to be like, mini-celebs and have their names in movies and tv shows as "based on a story by" or creative consultant or whatever, in my online and IRL friends circle, but they were "older" (by like 4 years lmao) and i was too shy and anxious to try networking or pitching anything to them and then I moved and fell out of touch

if they ever invent the slap-your-younger-self time machine i will pay for ur ticket if you come with me and give me moral support

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    🐈
    Sphinx cats are good and they look like little goblins

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    🦉
    Neco wrote: »

Neco gets it.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    🦬
    So the new show on WarhammerTV this week is called the Interrogator. Feels like a 40k Noir story about an inquisition interrogator.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    🦉
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    i sometimes wonder how my life might be different if i hadn't burned out on Everquest shortly after being, like, actually involved in its development as what they called a Community Leader

like i had signed an NDA and was gonna go out to San Diego with a group and actually face-to-face with the devs, many of whom i had a forum-friendly relationship with at the time already and had many text conversations with about the game and stuff

but right as that all started happening i just hit the wall and lost interest

probably something more to that regarding my own brain but

wild times

at one point in my early twenties i had several actual professional comic book writers, ppl who have gone on to be like, mini-celebs and have their names in movies and tv shows as "based on a story by" or creative consultant or whatever, in my online and IRL friends circle, but they were "older" (by like 4 years lmao) and i was too shy and anxious to try networking or pitching anything to them and then I moved and fell out of touch

if they ever invent the slap-your-younger-self time machine i will pay for ur ticket if you come with me and give me moral support

in the very early internet days, like early 90s, my friend's sister who was super into Broadway musicals, somehow became pen pals via email with Elton John and Nathan Lane and is still in touch

i am super jealous

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    🐈

go for fuzzy

Lmao. Only after getting all the cat stuff do I feel like maybe. Maybe. I shouldn’t move forward and get a furry companion.

What are your concerns?

I have found having a cat to be pretty anxiety-inducing, though overall worth it.

I think you are a tender and vulnerable person so it would be a challenge for you to have a cat depend on you BUT it would also perhaps be a positive way for you to grow, as it has been for me

Also even if you e.g. had anxiety attacks about cat health or struggled with uncertainty about their welfare I'm confident you're a person who is caring enough that a cat would be better off with you than in a shelter or with uncaring or neglectful guardians

I am concerned that your experience would mirror mine in the ways that were difficult, e.g. when I had a near panic attack over Finn possibly eating some yarn, which could have killed him, because I think you experience some similar anxieties that others would find silly or easily dismissed

But the allergy thing is also worth considering

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    lmao I’m at work 🤣🤣🤣

lmao

• Options
    🦬
    @Jacobkosh this feels like your thing.

https://youtu.be/h1A2CFcxdJo

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    🪲

sphinx cats are gross and would be weird and gross to touch!

no flesh only fuzz please

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    🦉

go for fuzzy

What are your concerns?

I think you are a tender and vulnerable person so it would be a challenge for you to have a cat depend on you BUT it would also perhaps be a positive way for you to grow, as it has been for me

Also even if you e.g. had anxiety attacks about cat health or struggled with uncertainty about their welfare I'm confident you're a person who is caring enough that a cat would be better off with you than in a shelter or with uncaring or neglectful guardians

I am concerned that your experience would mirror mine in the ways that were difficult, e.g. when I had a near panic attack over Finn possibly eating some yarn, which could have killed him, because I think you experience some similar anxieties that others would find silly or easily dismissed

But the allergy thing is also worth considering

For clarity, I had cats from age…. Like 8 to 28… I know how to deal with a cat but it’s scary, yeah.

I’m gonna get a cat eventually, I’ve got all the stuff.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So the new show on WarhammerTV this week is called the Interrogator. Feels like a 40k Noir story about an inquisition interrogator.

wait what?

why has nobody told me about this thing?!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    🦉

Don’t call my favorite cat breed gross please.

• Options
    🪲
    friends with mild but not super serious cat allergies have found good results with keeping the bedroom a no-cat zone and taking over the counter allergy medications

it's definitely rough though and worth sticking your face into different cats and figuring out which ones are more or less allergy inducing

• Options
    I would like a cat but I know what it takes to properly take care of a cat and I fear I wouldn't be a very good cat mom

so I am not getting a cat, for the cat's sake

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    🦬
    Elldren wrote: »

wait what?

Its part of Warhammer+ stuff. It has some good stuff. Not sure its worth the money but I have enjoyed it. The Exodite is gorgeous. Angels of Death was really good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    @Jacobkosh this feels like your thing.

https://youtu.be/h1A2CFcxdJo

rainy streets, burnt-out protagonist, investigation

hm yes perhaps I shall

• Options
    🐈
    I also had cats as a kid! For me it has not been the like, technical details of care, which are real but doable, but more the emotional burden of being the primary decision maker and caretaker

I may just be projecting tbh, having a cat has been extremely emotionally complex for me

I will almost certainly have a harder time when Finn dies than when my father died

• Options
    🪲

Don’t call my favorite cat breed gross please.

fine, they aren't inherently gross BUT they gross me out

well, specifically, the thought of touching them grosses me out, the appearance is more goofy than anything

• Options
    🦉
    friends with mild but not super serious cat allergies have found good results with keeping the bedroom a no-cat zone and taking over the counter allergy medications

it's definitely rough though and worth sticking your face into different cats and figuring out which ones are more or less allergy inducing

No, I refuse…. I want a cat that snuggles.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    🦉
    i always found the cat itself very easy to manage it was just the results of the cat i don't want to do again

namely the poop and hair and stepping in cold puke in the mornings

• Options
    🦉
    I also had cats as a kid! For me it has not been the like, technical details of care, which are real but doable, but more the emotional burden of being the primary decision maker and caretaker

I may just be projecting tbh, having a cat has been extremely emotionally complex for me

I will almost certainly have a harder time when Finn dies than when my father died

Yeah I 100% get what you’re saying. It’s a lot like my experience too. That’s why I took so long to get a cat again.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

wait what?

Its part of Warhammer+ stuff. It has some good stuff. Not sure its worth the money but I have enjoyed it. The Exodite is gorgeous. Angels of Death was really good.

Very important q: how far back do the digital white dwarf backissues go?

because if I can reread some early 90s white dwarf I am in

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    🪲
    i always found the cat itself very easy to manage it was just the results of the cat i don't want to do again

having a partner who deals with this as part of the division of labor is

i n c r e d i b l e

I get all the cats and none of the poop (except when I take the big bag of poop out to the garbage since it's my job to do the trash)

• Options
    🦉

I already have these issues by myself tbh

• Options
    🦉

having a partner who deals with this as part of the division of labor is

i n c r e d i b l e

I get all the cats and none of the poop (except when I take the big bag of poop out to the garbage since it's my job to do the trash)

i suppose having someone else handle it would be pretty good

• Options
    🐈
    Organichu wrote: »
    I l
    I have been astonished at how perfect my cat is — incredibly affectionate and loving, very playful, very fun, obsessed with us and always wants to be around us, never bites or scratches, always uses the litter — while also being a ton of work because he's so demanding and needy and loud

The variability in cat behaviour and temperament is far greater than is broadly advertised

I currently live with really terrible pet owners and this made me laugh. I was struck by the idea that a pet being loud and needy meant extra work, because my roommates just don’t do that work and neglect the animal. Since you’re a good person that wouldn’t even occur to you.

I wish to meet your cat.

I would love for you to meet my cat

I guess some people could just ignore their loud needy cat but like

He's really fuckin loud

It's easier to just do it

• Options
    I once served coffee to avigdor lieberman, so I’m the real fame seeking starfucker 🤓

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Ever since we got cats I resent being chained down

Not that I want to travel but

Ugh

Heavy is the head that must clean the box

• Options
    🐈
    I'm the one who handles all the poop and most playtime

I have agreed to this in exchange for not having to clean the bathtub or do most laundry

• Options
    🦉
    Tumin wrote: »

Ugh

you can pay a neighborhood kid $20 to do it and they'll do a terrible half assed job but it will be good enough

• Options
    🦉
    i will say i was drinking pretty heavily when i had cats and coming home and scooping the poop at 2am completely wasted as part of my going to bed ritual wasn't really that bad

• Options
    🦬
    We lost our cat last month to cancer and it is still getting to my GF hard.

Still have the adorable dog. But we already plan to get at least one probably 2 cats once we are in the new house.

She cleans the litter but I help with the rest. Good division of labor.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    🐍
    Imagine, raising a cat and not teaching it self-sufficiency.

Change your own litter box, Felix. Nobody's gonna hold your paw once you're 3.

• Options
    🦉
    i do think having two cats so they can socialize is probably better than just one, especially if you aren't home all the time

• Options
    One time I came home from school as- I don’t know, a 10 year old? And my dog had pissed a massive puddle which I didn’t see and then slipped in. My head smacked off the ground and I was laying there disoriented and crying my eyes out. My dog sank to his haunches next to me, submissive in posture, and started to gently lick the piss out of my hair.

Pets contain multitudes

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Tumin wrote: »

Ugh

you can pay a neighborhood kid $20 to do it and they'll do a terrible half assed job but it will be good enough

I pay a lovely woman...more than that...a day...and she plays with them a lot and is great so

But still

I cannot leave my children! They need me! (I just stress. I think I mostly resent not being 25 anymore. Oh well. Cats are good.)

Tumin on
This discussion has been closed.