As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I tried the Xenonauts 2 demo yesterday and yeah, it’s very crunchy.

Not sure I’m a fan.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I tried the Xenonauts 2 demo yesterday and yeah, it’s very crunchy.

Not sure I’m a fan.

I tried Xenonauts 1 a few years back, and it was not for me.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    tosorak wrote: »
    The original was more of a open simulation of an alien invasion while the modern one is a more tightly crafted game experience.

In the original you could decide to go the all explosions route to win OR have a couple psy adepts plus some psy-sponges and mind control your way to victory OR half snipers / half scouts OR a bunch of other variations.

You could also have not very fun but very possible simulation moments - oh you set up your 1st base in Europe but the aliens decided to focus on Asia and the US, so you don't detect any UFOs and your 1st battle is a Terror mission with all rookies and the default weapons.

For me, there was added difficulty of 1) being a kid and 2) not having any access to wikis to explain all of the mechanics. Sometimes I see an alien and stop moving, it doesn't shoot at me, but then I take a few more steps and it does? I guess this is related to my soldiers Reactions skill and higher seems to be better?

Today I could go here and read all about it:
    https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Reaction_Fire

In conclusion, the original has some very interesting systems which if you can understand and master make it much easier to exploit but a lot of those systems are very opaque and either require lots of play time or standing on the shoulders of others.

One thing that makes OG X-Com difficult is that it's from the time before tooltips...without the manual it's going to take a lot of trial and error to figure out what all the buttons do (in the pre-internet days).

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    There was someone from here who made a pretty good starter guide for X-com. Helped me out at lot. I don't remember whose it was, though.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Was it this one?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yes, I believe so. All I remembered about the user was that they were one of the birds.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Apparently Complex Games got bought by Frontier Developments; it's probably why we haven't heard any updates about DLC for Warhammer 40,000 - Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters, even though the game sold quite well.

But Steam was updated with
    Mechanicus-related
    achievements recently, and a teaser was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H3Flr3nmsc&t=1s

It's only 10 seconds and is not at all explicit as to what it actually is, but the thought is that there is a new
    Grey Knight Tech Marine
    class.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    There was a post on the game's steam page about the game getting a few new enemy classes, as well, particularly ones that sound like they're anti-armor, which the game kind of needed as the enemy got paladins, but no counter to your paladins like you got to theirs, so high armor classes quickly became basically immortal.

I'd written the game off getting anything more, but if they're going to do a DLC my #1 wish is an ADVENT style "player 3" in the form of an ork waagh.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    There was a post on the game's steam page about the game getting a few new enemy classes, as well, particularly ones that sound like they're anti-armor, which the game kind of needed as the enemy got paladins, but no counter to your paladins like you got to theirs, so high armor classes quickly became basically immortal.

I'd written the game off getting anything more, but if they're going to do a DLC my #1 wish is an ADVENT style "player 3" in the form of an ork waagh.

My personal guess would be that their ADVENT version would be Khornites, since they were in the intro and have history with the Baleful Edict's crew, but orks would be a welcome addition to spice up missions.

I really hope they add dreadnoughts eventually. Give us something else to do with fallen brothers other than mine them for XP.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    More daemons is probably a better bet, the demon prince even tells you as much in that mission. Also, daemons are the Grey Knights' whole thing, xenocide is more a deathwatch specialty.

But orks could add a whole bunch of strategic and tactical complexity, because orks love fighting daemons, so where their dots spread on the map they'll fight with Nurgle's. So there's strategic situations where ignoring a mission and letting the orks spread might be better than stopping them.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »
    More daemons is probably a better bet, the demon prince even tells you as much in that mission. Also, daemons are the Grey Knights' whole thing, xenocide is more a deathwatch specialty.

But orks could add a whole bunch of strategic and tactical complexity, because orks love fighting daemons, so where their dots spread on the map they'll fight with Nurgle's.

Yes, the game's lore and built-in timers seriously favors daemons,

But I would laugh for days if The Bloom also enhanced Orks because of their specific biology.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Pls add random rampaging Orks.

plz

Ill pay money

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

plz

Ill pay money

I would pay TWO moneys.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

plz

Ill pay money

I would pay TWO moneys.

I will paint the money red so it goes faster.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’d rather a Deathwatch game with various xenos.

• Options
    I’d rather a Deathwatch game with various xenos.

I'd love one of those but it wouldn't be a DLC for Daemonhunters.

Honestly if Complex/Frontier plays their cards right they have an engine that could do a lot of different properties, 40K and otherwise.

• Options
    I’d do so many bad things for them to do a Necromunda type gang warfare game with full customisability on your gangers.

• Options
    I’d do so many bad things for them to do a Necromunda type gang warfare game with full customisability on your gangers.

Well yes. That is the ultimate goal. I'm considering mailing them my 1,000 page manifesto, Make A Fucking Necromunda XCOM Already, Jesus Christ.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Orkromunda and Ill buy a lifetime service pass and pull all the gatchas.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

There’s room to make a gang of basically any Xenos as a ‘gang’.

Orks you just say they’re Blood Axes.

• Options

There’s room to make a gang of basically any Xenos as a ‘gang’.

Orks you just say they’re Blood Axes.

Just printing money (from my wallet) at this point.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    XCOM, but Necromunda. Start with Orlock, Goliath, Escher, Van Saar. Usual customization for cosmetics, but bolt on the whole injury / skill system from the original.

Earn credits to buy new gear / upgrade gear.

Some kind of Total War Warhammer Mortal Empire map control game mode.

DLC for days. Gangs, cosmetics, weapons.

Lord. I'd never stop playing.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    XCOM, but Necromunda. Start with Orlock, Goliath, Escher, Van Saar. Usual customization for cosmetics, but bolt on the whole injury / skill system from the original.

Earn credits to buy new gear / upgrade gear.

Some kind of Total War Warhammer Mortal Empire map control game mode.

DLC for days. Gangs, cosmetics, weapons.

Lord. I'd never stop playing.

Would need both multiplayer and a robust single-player campaign mode, the former including PvP for area control, but also Co-Op against NPC threats, in that classic "uneasy alliance" trope that pervades Black Library literature.

• Options
    Did I say Daemonhunters needs Techmarines and Dreadnoughts? Because its getting Techmarines and Dreadnoughts! On December 6, no less!
    Duty Eternal brings a new campaign that adds a new mission variant—the Technopage Outbreak—in which you can tag in a fifth team member with decidedly more firepower. The Venerable Dreadnought is a customizable walking robo-pal with a macabre twist. A mostly dead Grey Knight is entombed inside, kept alive only by the machine—making it the rare example of a death metal album cover in both form and function.
    While they aren’t as imposing as a Dreadnought, the new Techmarine class isn’t a slouch in the grims-per-second category, since they can deploy and control a pile of Combat Servitors—cybernetic zombies that have been re-programmed to fight and be exceptionally creepy while doing it. The Techmarine can repair and buff up their Servitors, or even your Dreadnought, so they seem like a handy support class to have around, if you don’t mind a bunch of cybernetic fleshbots milling about in between missions.

https://www.pcgamer.com/warhammer-40000-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-first-dlc-has-dreadnoughts-aplenty/

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Kind of a shame I uninstalled the game. It just didn't have much replayability after the first time through.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Kind of a shame I uninstalled the game. It just didn't have much replayability after the first time through.

If only there was a way to re-install...

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Impossible. Once removed from a system, no game can be returned. They are lost to the warp, forever.

I've actually been so insanely busy over the last however long since it launched I never got more than about a quarter of the way through if that. So....this lands perfectly. I shall get it and enjoy dreadnaughts, who are my favourite kind of naught, much better than happynaughts or kindnaughts.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    So Daemonhunters is good? I'm way outta the loop on what's what these days, since they announced Midnight Suns instead of XCOM 3

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Catalase wrote: »
    So Daemonhunters is good? I'm way outta the loop on what's what these days, since they announced Midnight Suns instead of XCOM 3

It is, in fact, good. Not perfect, but definitely good. It's 100% XCOM Grey Knights edition, and I think they perfectly captured the burly kineticism of playing an Adeptus Astartes space marine, and the systems are all built around the Knights' formidable psyker powers.

Executions are back from Gears Tactics to encourage aggressive play, and the mission timers reinforce that a giant space guy team should not be turtling up and crawling across the map in overwatch. Plus they got the Black Library author of the Grey Knight trilogy, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, so the characters and dialogue are pitch-perfect.

The flaws are mostly in that there are only 3 base mission types, so it can get repetitive, the AI on some enemies is outrageously bad, and the balance is a bit screwy after you level and gear up, so it can feel too easy sometimes... problems I feel can be addressed by DLC.

The most important thing Daemonhunters does is be proof of concept for a 40K XCOM; seems like it should be a no-brainer, but for some inexplicable reason nobody's locked in Dan Abnett to write a Gaunt's Ghosts Imperial Guard XCOM yet.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    TBH I don't enjoy the Imperial Guard, as a 40K casual. Would love something about Deathwatch; imagine your Squaddies are from specific chapters with specific specialities and armaments

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    TBH I don't enjoy the Imperial Guard, as a 40K casual. Would love something about Deathwatch; imagine your Squaddies are from specific chapters with specific specialities and armaments

Well that would be even easier to make, since the engine is already using space marines and they wouldn't have to change things like kicksmashing doors in or just crashing into pillars to knock them over onto foes.

• Options
    edited November 2022

It is, in fact, good. Not perfect, but definitely good. It's 100% XCOM Grey Knights edition, and I think they perfectly captured the burly kineticism of playing an Adeptus Astartes space marine, and the systems are all built around the Knights' formidable psyker powers.

Executions are back from Gears Tactics to encourage aggressive play, and the mission timers reinforce that a giant space guy team should not be turtling up and crawling across the map in overwatch. Plus they got the Black Library author of the Grey Knight trilogy, Aaron Dembski-Bowden, so the characters and dialogue are pitch-perfect.

On the bolded: it's all, I think, in how the combat is balanced. XCOM itself is based around killing shots - both delivering and avoiding them. Daemonhunters is all about delivering wholesale slaughter and enduring attrition.

There's no hit percents. If you can get a bead on a target you will hit, and so will they. Enemies can't endure much but there's a lot of them, your units can and will soak a lot of damage.

So where XCOM I feel like it's often "everything seems fine until it suddenly isn't" in Daemonhunters there's a sense of continuous pressure and you get a feel for how long you *can* last versus how long the map says you *have* to last.

Very appropriate for a setting all about the grinding attritional disregard for human life.

Hevach on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The previous purely mechanicus based xcom game was also amazing. Tech priests rushing all.over sucking up data for extra turns!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The previous purely mechanicus based xcom game was also amazing. Tech priests rushing all.over sucking up data for extra turns!

I reinstalled that and honestly I could not get into it. I have no explanation other than the flow didn't seem right to me. Weird.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Darmonhunters does have the glaring flaw of no console release.... Yet.... Hopefully....

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Hey, visiting from the Xbox thread: Any thoughts on Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus? It's on a $10 sale, but I know 40k games of all types have a patchy track record: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/warhammer-40000-mechanicus/9MZL23WGQ5BT

• Options
    It's a real good game. Not quite XCOM, but it's still a real good tactics game.

• Options
    Justice wrote: »
    Hey, visiting from the Xbox thread: Any thoughts on Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus? It's on a $10 sale, but I know 40k games of all types have a patchy track record: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/warhammer-40000-mechanicus/9MZL23WGQ5BT

I think it is well designed; it didn't catch me like Daemonhunters or the recent Age of Sigmar one, but it's not a jankfest like Mordheim/Necromunda or some of the others.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The issue is that Mechanicus gets trivially easy about a third of the way in, like "can't lose" level of easy on the normal difficulty.

They added a lot of really neat custom difficulty options but it's hard to tell what actually suits you. The enemies just don't scale, and that sucks — make it too hard by cranking everything up and the campaign is unwinnable from the early missions being so hard, but make the early missions doable and you might end up steamrolling every encounter later on

• Options
    edited December 2022
    Turned off Midnight Suns to download the Duty Eternal DLC for WH40K:CG-Daemonhunters.

For the Emperor, etc. etc.

EDIT: Started a new game because my only unfinished save was apparently from Day 773 pretty close to the endgame.

So far I'm done with the first two objectives and no sign of techmarines or venerable dreadnoughts yet.

Dracomicron on