As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nemesis Distress, Defend the Bits TD & American Theft 80s out today!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It's in the blog post about the update
    PlayStation™ and Steam™ players who already have a copy of Fall Guys will continue to receive all the usual updates (such as new seasons, patches and fresh features) that you’d expect. However, new players will no longer be able to download Fall Guys on Steam—if you’re new to Fall Guys and would like to play on PC, you can visit the Epic Games Store™ and download the launcher there. Wherever you choose to play Fall Guys (including Steam), you’ll be able to launch and stumble towards victory across platforms.

There's a thing where you can register to get some free stuff. I think you have to register to get this stuff, even if you already have the paid version.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    How is fall guys doing these days? People seemed very excited about it at launch but I don't really remember much about it after that.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    How is fall guys doing these days? People seemed very excited about it at launch but I don't really remember much about it after that.

really well, they just got bought by Epic Games. we were just talking about it on the last page actually

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

It fell (haha) way way down in terms of player numbers but it still has a big community. Finding games never takes a long time, even late night US. Custom lobbies and crossplay with PS4 helped a lot.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Crippl3 wrote: »

It fell (haha) way way down in terms of player numbers but it still has a big community. Finding games never takes a long time, even late night US. Custom lobbies and crossplay with PS4 helped a lot.

Makes sense, hard to keep game lobbies filled up if you have a hundred player minimum for each session. Going free to play seems like it could do really well for them, provided they can get updates out fast enough to hold player interest. I have to imagine these free-to-play live service games pretty much live and die by how fast they can update and add new content.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    hey bloober team is not a 10/10 studio but they get work done

l9t3uxvmgz7x.png

I've heard extremely bad things about all of their recent output, the work they get done is the issue.

blair witch was creepy but no fun to play, the medium was just dumb

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    RE: games that aren't about building and conquering and forever expanding, Terra Nil seemed quite interesting. It doesn't really deal with the social or cultural side of things, but the idea of a reverse city-builder where you regenerate a torched wasteland and then recycle all your shit and leave is appealing.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've only been playing Fall Guys since new year, but in that time I think the only new gameplay update has been one new level as a time limited event mode.

Although they are constantly adding new costumes and changing the playlists.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, they usually only ever add new levels once or twice a season, and seasons last 3+ months. At least they've been adding a bunch now per season, and a level creator will be really cool, hopefully we get easy sharing or the ability to set up custom lobbies/servers with our levels.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

l9t3uxvmgz7x.png

I've heard extremely bad things about all of their recent output, the work they get done is the issue.
    Do you like very derivative bordering on ripping off horror content? Blooper Team is your team!

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Wasn't observer supposedly decent? Am I confusing it with another game?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Observer was a bit janky but interesting to play. I've heard very divided opinions about Layers of Fear.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Meg Jayanth gave an interesting talk last year about how colonialism is core to the game's industry and what alternatives to that could look like.

https://medium.com/@betterthemask/white-protagonism-and-imperial-pleasures-in-game-design-digra21-a4bdb3f5583c
    Contemporary culture is about filling up every nook and cranny of our time — to colonise and expand into the available space. These entities will invent new spaces to fulfill their fantasies of endless exploitation when they are at risk of saturation. Think about Facebook’s attempts to colonise the internet in the developing world, and its recent push towards a new digital territory ripe for colonisation, the metaverse.

Capitalist-colonialist entities are designed to extract profit or attention or whatever is desired by the system from human beings and the world, with no regard for our integrity or needs.

Under capitalism-colonialism, we do not have to intentionally design for these outcomes, but they are almost inevitable unless we deliberately and intentionally design against them.

My friend v21 on twitter talked about wanting to design games that you could fall asleep to — but they also pointed out the lack of sales potential in “games that are designed to let go of you”. Capitalist-colonialist design pulls us away from the possibility of calming games, gentle ones, designing for letting go and instead towards increased spectacle and bombast.

I think video games can be powerful tools for struggle. Through playful transformation and reimagining systems, structures, societies, and worlds, video games can invite people to see the possibility of transformation in the material world at a time when neoliberalism — and capitalist realism — tells us THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE.

It is easier to remake the structures of capitalism-colonialism inside the world of a game than it is to remake the real world — and that is exactly why we should do it MORE and OFTEN.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

l9t3uxvmgz7x.png

The criticisms about The Medium's narrative were... they felt unnecessarily targeted? Like, there are issues with the narrative, but the issues were about narrative conventions that are endemic to the horror genre.

The game itself was a perfectly cromulent 7/10 with the music and art direction propping up the standard gameplay.

The split world gimmick was neat in concept but rarely actually taken full advantage of - but it's a concept that could easily be used in a SH game too.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »
    Meg Jayanth gave an interesting talk last year about how colonialism is core to the game's industry and what alternatives to that could look like.

https://medium.com/@betterthemask/white-protagonism-and-imperial-pleasures-in-game-design-digra21-a4bdb3f5583c
    My friend v21 on twitter talked about wanting to design games that you could fall asleep to — but they also pointed out the lack of sales potential in “games that are designed to let go of you”. Capitalist-colonialist design pulls us away from the possibility of calming games, gentle ones, designing for letting go and instead towards increased spectacle and bombast.

Oh, that sounds excellent.

I'd love a relaxing game to send me to sleep.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I remember hearing good things about Layers of Fear, Observer, and The Medium

I heard very little about Layers of Fear 2 or Blair Witch so I assume they were simply mediocre and not aggressive trash fires

Bloober Team seem like very solid 7/10 devs but by god if those rumors are true they better step up their game

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Yeah, I've thought about that a lot since first reading that. An antithesis to Civilization's "one more turn".

Even a lot of the more relaxing stuff I immediately think to try and wind down, say the Sims or Stardew, still have a treadmill of progression and goals that you're constantly closing in on, urging you to stick around for.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Observer starts out very engaging and exciting and then shits the bed with a consistency and thoroughness that is surprising considering the first part of the game. I'm very convinced that positive reviews didn't finish the game, even though it was short. Because it would have come up. The things I've heard about The Medium and Blair Witch's plots are, without being unnecessarily dramatic very, very bad. And also The Medium runs like shit from a technical perspective.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

l9t3uxvmgz7x.png

The criticisms about The Medium's narrative were... they felt unnecessarily targeted? Like, there are issues with the narrative, but the issues were about narrative conventions that are endemic to the horror genre.

The game itself was a perfectly cromulent 7/10 with the music and art direction propping up the standard gameplay.

The split world gimmick was neat in concept but rarely actually taken full advantage of - but it's a concept that could easily be used in a SH game too.

The Medium is one of those games that had more people than usual looking into it because it was an exclusive that was launched during a time where the Series X/S had kind of jack shit otherwise, so a lot of people who wouldn't have touched it otherwise checked it out (especially via gamepass) so I'm guessing that included a lot of people who were less forgiving of the foibles of the genre.

• Options
    Observer starts out very engaging and exciting and then shits the bed with a consistency and thoroughness that is surprising considering the first part of the game. I'm very convinced that positive reviews didn't finish the game, even though it was short. Because it would have come up. The things I've heard about The Medium and Blair Witch's plots are, without being unnecessarily dramatic very, very bad. And also The Medium runs like shit from a technical perspective.
    That mirrors my thoughts on Observers exactly.

"Wow, this is a neat setting, I'm excited to see what they do with it!
    ...okay, why did this turn into fucking Office Slenderman? For the second time in 10 minutes?"

The game felt like it had something to say. Turns out, what it said was "I'm every also-ran horror game from the past 10 years. OoooOOOooOooo~"

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    Bloober team doesn't exactly have a reputation for original thinking
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_uD7gxIF2s

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »

...okay, why did this turn into fucking Office Slenderman? For the second time in 10 minutes?"

The game felt like it had something to say. Turns out, what it said was "I'm every also-ran horror game from the past 10 years. OoooOOOooOooo~"

It was so goddamn disappointing.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

I wonder how that could work, given that looking at a screen before bed (even dimmed, even red-shifted to minimize blue light) is notoriously disruptive to our sleep cycle. In order to design a game you could fall asleep to, you'd need to ditch the screen somehow.

I think games and interactive media that don't use the typical inputs and outputs are fascinating, but they'll inevitably be either niche products (think museum exhibits/commercial spaces) or hobby projects because not running on the standard hardware means most people won't have a setup that can run it.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The problem I have with it is that I'm not looking to fall asleep in my desk chair, then get up and go to bed. That just means I should have gone to bed earlier, not that I want to fall asleep playing games.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The problem I have with it is that I'm not looking to fall asleep in my desk chair, then get up and go to bed. That just means I should have gone to bed earlier, not that I want to fall asleep playing games.

I assume it would be more like a wind-down meditative experience? Something you'd deliberately load up when you're ready to sleep. Which is why there's a basic conflict between that concept and the reality of the tech through which we experience games.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Sounds like someone needs a gaming bed

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »

I assume it would be more like a wind-down meditative experience? Something you'd deliberately load up when you're ready to sleep. Which is why there's a basic conflict between that concept and the reality of the tech through which we experience games.

you could run text based games on an e ink display

or maybe you could do something with audio input, like an audio only game that you could play by responding to narration using your phone as a mic

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I really didn't care for Obverser's ending which I won't get into, or those stupid chase sequences, but I will say the part with the VR pig is probably the most fucked up part I've seen in a dystopian game in a while - mostly because of how realistically that could happen if we had the technology to do it.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    important lord of the rings update:

a farmer told me his chicken was sad, so I talked to the chicken

suddenly there was a loading screen, and I found myself here:

BK0QG1Yh.png

kvJ2IUf.png?1

7aEkEaX.png?1

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Uncheck that box please.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    One More Island, as far as I can tell, seems to have no native or indigenous people on its islands at all, following the footsteps of the later Anno and New World games' strategy of "well the past is problematic so lets just pretend that it didn't happen"

I wonder if there's a way to do this kind of game that isn't collar-tugging, or if it's doomed by its nature. Maybe if we can get a team of Polynesian devs to make a game about settling the Pacific.

Something I've been thinking of a lot in the last few years are games that are specifically about de-colonization.

You have some that are about the violent overthrow of oppressors, like Space Asshole and AssCreed 3, and those are fun power fantasies to an extent.

But I'm really more interested in the process that comes after that, where a society is trying to dismantle the old power structures and figure out what fills those gaps as class order shifts.

Disco Elysium has quite a bit of that, but I guess it's more in the post-post revolutionary period. Can't think of many other games that are are set in those kinds of scenarios.

Hm, yeah there doesn’t seem to be many games on this, which is a shame.

There are some boardgames that come close to fitting the bill. But a lot of games that could be more about decolonization end up focusing more specifically on the revolution/independence angle.

There is for example Guerra a Muerte, which focuses on Spain losing all it’s overseas holdings. Liberty or Death is about the American revolution, which is… kind of an act of both decolonization (of the British) and colonization (of the indigenous people).

I haven’t played it but Ghandi by GMT seems quite explicitly about this (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/220588/gandhi-decolonization-british-india-1917-1947) with the full title being “ Gandhi: The Decolonization of British India, 1917–1947” (look wargames are not known for their sexy titles). Congo Merc is another potential game (
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/129307/congo-merc-congo-1964 ) but it is more military action focused.

Lastly there is Dien Bien Phu The Last Gamble (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/94373/dien-bien-phu-final-gamble) which I hear is an excellent design. With the focus on France getting the boot from Vietnam.

But yeah overall these are very combat focused for the most part. It seems like there is a lot of space for some games around decolonization that are not also games around pushing combat chits around a hex map.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It was so goddamn disappointing. That game was saying and doing cool things for 3 or 4 hours and then totally forgot what it was about and became the most boring horror game I've ever played.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    One More Island, as far as I can tell, seems to have no native or indigenous people on its islands at all, following the footsteps of the later Anno and New World games' strategy of "well the past is problematic so lets just pretend that it didn't happen"

I wonder if there's a way to do this kind of game that isn't collar-tugging, or if it's doomed by its nature. Maybe if we can get a team of Polynesian devs to make a game about settling the Pacific.
    Even settling the Pacific wouldn't fit the bill, most settlers were settling inhabited islands. The earliest stories of first settlers usually talk about even earlier settlers. And they're not around anymore.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Even settling the Pacific wouldn't fit the bill, most settlers were settling inhabited islands. The earliest stories of first settlers usually talk about even earlier settlers. And they're not around anymore.

And even if you do something like the Maori coming to New Zealand (unihabited at the time afaik, despite what some very stupid racist conspiracriy theoriests would tell you), you'd then have to wrestle with the fact that they drove quite a few species to extinction (Most notably the Moa and Haast's Eagle), as well as introducing rats. Not exactly a happy thing!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Which settlers do you think I'm referring to? Because I meant the original ones.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The ones that aren't around anymore?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I dunno. Maybe? I'm dumb I don't have good ideas.

Are there any skill trees in Prey that aren't worth taking? So far I've put a bit into repair, the one that boosts medkits, and Carry Heavy Things. Just wondering if I'm free to do whatever or if some of them are a waste if time.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I dunno. Maybe? I'm dumb I don't have good ideas.

Are there any skill trees in Prey that aren't worth taking? So far I've put a bit into repair, the one that boosts medkits, and Carry Heavy Things. Just wondering if I'm free to do whatever or if some of them are a waste if time.

To memory, the other skill tree you get acess to is pretty weak outsdie of one specific subset of skills which enables some fun shennagins and new routes.

In general, the best skills to get are the ones that increase the amount of resources you gain,as you can use that to then powerlevel everything else. There's no outright bad skills in the human tree to memory. (Thoguh i'd argue the Pistol is worthless and should be ignored in favor of Shotgun/Wrench, but that's me)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

It was so goddamn disappointing. That game was saying and doing cool things for 3 or 4 hours and then totally forgot what it was about and became the most boring horror game I've ever played.
    Truly, it was the Sunshine of video games.

This discussion has been closed.