Options

[V Rising] Version 1.0 is now live on Steam and PS5!

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited June 10 in Games and Technology
filters:quality(100)

What is it?

It's a new game called V Rising, created by Stunlock Studios.

Steam Page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

Gameplay is isometric 3rd person aRPG in which you play the role of a vampire. There is crafting, looting, a talent tree, and castle building. This game looks to borrow elements from games such as Diablo, Hades, Valheim, Minecraft, and Conan Exiles. (And probably others too). It is described as having "skillshot combat" meaning you move with WASD and aim and shoot with the mouse controlling your skillshots. So in that aspect combat should be very familiar to anyone who has played Hades. It also appears to have quite a bit of depth for character loadouts and making your own build to suit your playstyle.

Progression looks to follow a Valheim-esque boss path. Each boss gives you a unique power that you can integrate with your character build, plus unlocks new recipes for crafting. Play at your own pace, and progress through the game by building your castle, creating better weapons and armor to tackle harder bosses. Work your way through the boss progression to unlock all abilities and crafting options.

I'll fill in some details on the gameplay systems, features, and etc when I get home from work tonight. But for now I'll drop a few videos to get the discussion started.

If you're interested in a very good overview of the game, start here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV6NXc-VWoA

Here's Skill-Up's First Impressions Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J3X3r2jDwA

And here's some official trailers:

Early Access Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9aaaHhajv0

Castle Building Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iex7DFvJx6M

And official Gameplay Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7KTI94LzI8

Needless to say, I have gone from "haven't even heard of it" to full fanboy after watching a bunch of videos on it this morning. Cannot wait for Early Access to begin tomorrow. I am ready!

Lucascraft on

• Options
    For those who might be concerned about online play and forced multiplayer, he is a screen-grab I took from the Skill Up video.

crhtktepfpmd.png

I was concerned about this too. But from that screenshot, I can infer that there will be public servers available, and also private locally hosted servers, as well as servers hosted by 3rd party hosting companies. In fact, I can confirm that "Survival Servers" are already setup to host V Rising servers, because I got an email advertisement from them this morning stating as much.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I'm excited to play it. I like Stunlock's games but they tend to run them into the earth. Battlerite + Battlerite Royale were both really fun, but they stopped supporting them both to make this. Hoping they don't immediately disband this one on release to go after their next thing.

• Options
    I did buy this yesterday and spent several hours playing it.

For those wondering, the base price is $20 US, which is a pretty good price for early access.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The game does a good job of early hand-holding to get you on your feet and then after the first boss they scale back and leave it up to the player to explore, experiment, and discover, which I like. Figuring something out on your own, even something small, feels better than being told by a tutorial how to do it. I think they have struck a good balance so far. I'll play more tonight after work.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I'm still confused on the servers. Is this a game like conan where I want to play with friends on a private server or are the official servers good? Where are you guys playing? Also, will I get killed, stuff stolen, etc. or is that protected somehow?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    There are 5 options I believe:
    1) Solo play on a locally hosted "server" on your PC. This is essentially singleplayer mode
    2) PVE Official Servers
    3) PVP Standard Servers (open PVP, looting of resources from player corpses but not gear, has base "raids" during scheduled times. Bases are damaged but never fully destroyed.)
    4) PVP Hardcore Servers (open PVP, full looting of resources AND gear, bases are fully destroyable)
    5) Custom/Private servers - Set your own server rules, can be password protected

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    ah ok thanks. 2 sounds like what I'd want.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    This looks like something to keep an eye on. If playing PVE does everyone just do his or her on things or do you actually cooparate?

• Options
    I started solo just to learn the ropes and figure out the game. Once I have a better understanding of the mechanics and such, I'll probably look for a PVE server to play on.

It's also going to depend on if I can get any of my friends to play. If I can get 3-4 friends into it, I will probably host a private server.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Is character progression in this per-server or is it closer to Valheim where on-character inventory and progression can be carried between servers?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Your character is specific to each server.

I started on a specific server with no idea what I was doing and just wandered around until I figured out the basics. Didn't even get to build a castle because it was so crowded there was no available space.
    Logged out to have dinner and when I came back G-Portal had spun up another dozen servers that only had a handful of people on them so I restarted there. With my prior knowledge I was able to build a base pretty quickly (for me anyway) and got reasonably established. Still figuring out many things but a nice solid start.
    Day 2, the server that I was playing on was offline so I re-started -again- on an established (full) server but this one actually had space to build and so I found a less advantageous area and actually advanced further in the game than my prior two attempts.
    Whilst my "time played" on steam is around a dozen hours, the server that I've got the most advancement on I've only invested maybe 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

26904.png
  • Options
    My biggest gripe is that the "main story quests" are pretty opaque and require you to just magically know the answer. For example, the first real challenge you get is to upgrade your 'castle' (which is far from a castle at that point). It's easy to see what the requirements are (copper and leather) but no explanation of where to find or create leather. Look it up online and it turns out you need to kill one of the V Blood bosses. But _nowhere_ is this mentioned in the game.

I'm now on the next step which requires a whole lot of stone bricks and no idea how to craft them and there's literally no way to figure it out without spoiling the game by doing google research. Which after doing, I've learned that I need to make a Grinder... which requires Whetstones... which can only be randomly dropped by some specific bandits (until you can later make them). Without googling this, there is NO WAY this could have been sussed out from information presented within the the game.

Still, whilst that's "annoying", the short term gameplay loop is quite fun.

26904.png
  • Options
    I ran into that same issue. Needed copper ingots and leather. The spot I built my base in actually has 3 nearby copper nodes so I was able to take care of that part fairly quickly. But the leather required going out and exploring and some trial and error. So far my experience is that the best source of leather seems to be raiding bandit camps and stealing theirs. I do not have a tannery yet to turn pelts into leather.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    God damn it. You guys are making it really hard to resist.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Stupid wrote: »
    My biggest gripe is that the "main story quests" are pretty opaque and require you to just magically know the answer. For example, the first real challenge you get is to upgrade your 'castle' (which is far from a castle at that point). It's easy to see what the requirements are (copper and leather) but no explanation of where to find or create leather. Look it up online and it turns out you need to kill one of the V Blood bosses. But _nowhere_ is this mentioned in the game.

I'm now on the next step which requires a whole lot of stone bricks and no idea how to craft them and there's literally no way to figure it out without spoiling the game by doing google research. Which after doing, I've learned that I need to make a Grinder... which requires Whetstones... which can only be randomly dropped by some specific bandits (until you can later make them). Without googling this, there is NO WAY this could have been sussed out from information presented within the the game.

Still, whilst that's "annoying", the short term gameplay loop is quite fun.

Eh, the story missions could stand to be more directive but the information you’re looking for is mostly all in-game in one place or another. For example, if you were looking at your different refinement options in the base building menu you’d see the grinder is one of the available options and that it makes bricks (it’s in the description). The tannery is listed as a reward for that boss in the Blood Altar. The map itself shows camps as yellow blobs and also lists the materials you can get there (e.g. whetstones). The info is all a little off the critical path but it’s there.

Also worth noting you technically don’t need the tannery before upgrading your heart because leather can drop from enemies. I don’t think it’s listed as a camp reward but if you kill enough things you will eventually see it.

I’ve honestly been pretty impressed by the level of QOL and polish the game has on day 1 of early access, not to mention the amount of content/depth at this point. They have a ways to go but it’s certainly a great start. This game wasn’t on my radar at all until I saw the trailer pop up on a discord and saw that it was a Stunlock game. You can clearly see the iteration on their core systems from Bloodline Champions to here, it’s kind of awesome.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    God damn it. You guys are making it really hard to resist.

Same. I just have so many games. Has anyone started a server? Are any PA people playing together?

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Okay, game is fun. Especially solid for an early access game performance wise too.

Though I will say that I would really rather movement be typical ARPG mouse move instead of WASD. Combat can get a bit finicky because of it.

Otherwise I do like the idea of sucking blood and getting various bonuses based on what type of enemy it was.
    Going out and killing fancy enemies to unlock powers I also like.

Presently I am playing on an Official PvE server. Got myself a solid castle, a couple of servants and an industry that is humming along.

edit- My official word on the game is that if this is a gameplay style you enjoy then you'll probably like V Rising. If you are only curious about it I'd say keep an eye on the game. It has a solid foundation and the Devs have been very proactive from what I've seen.

edit 2- What the map could use is potentially two starter zones. Having a Castle is a critical part of progression so people build them as soon as they can. . . in the starter zone. In terms of build spots the world map actually has more than enough to accommodate 50 players, as I understand it, but the starting zone of course does not.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Okay, game is fun. Especially solid for an early access game performance wise too.

Though I will say that I would really rather movement be typical ARPG mouse move instead of WASD. Combat can get a bit finicky because of it.

Otherwise I do like the idea of sucking blood and getting various bonuses based on what type of enemy it was.

Presently I am playing on an Official PvE server. Got myself a solid castle, a couple of servants and an industry that is humming along.

edit- My official word on the game is that if this is a gameplay style you enjoy then you'll probably like V Rising. If you are only curious about it I'd say keep an eye on the game. It has a solid foundation and the Devs have been very proactive from what I've seen.

edit 2- What the map could use is potentially two starter zones. Having a Castle is a critical part of progression so people build them as soon as they can. . . in the starter zone. In terms of build spots the world map actually has more than enough to accommodate 50 players, as I understand it, but the starting zone of course does not.

Are the official servers pretty active? How many are in a server?

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »

Are the official servers pretty active? How many are in a server?

The default cap seems to be 50. So far on my server I've seen anywhere from 13-38 depending on the time of day. The chat is always bumping with people talking. I can't speak for other servers, but I'd imagine it is similar.

You can play the game solo on a "private" server or host your own unoffical server. In either case you can change the game's server settings, but I'm unsure what options there are.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    The server options are pretty robust

You can change mob hp/damage, sunlight, resource gain, build costs, night/day cycle, get larger item stacks, and more

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have a private server for 10 or less friends. I think this is not really the way the game is intended to be played. I get the feeling the pvp is kind of key to late game.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have a private server for 10 or less friends. I think this is not really the way the game is intended to be played. I get the feeling the pvp is kind of key to late game.

The pvp where you don't lose gear or your castle sound ok, but the one where you can literally have your entire base destroyed sounds not fun at all.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I set my server to default but now I need a bunch of resources and it's like why did i do this to myself

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I set my server to default but now I need a bunch of resources and it's like why did i do this to myself

me too

at first I was like, "I should restart with resource needs reduced"

but then sunk cost fallacy sunk in

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The pvp where you don't lose gear or your castle sound ok, but the one where you can literally have your entire base destroyed sounds not fun at all.

Yeah I mean maybe but I've barely put an hour into the game and I feel like I see the engine and cycle too clearly already. I don't know if the game has any surprises for me.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I can't seem to fight any enemy without losing most of my health. Also, enemies only walk around in groups of three, unless they're really tough. There just seems to be something about combat I'm not clicking with.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I would like an arenas mode just to have some structured PvP in this game, as Rust style free-roam PvP isn't my thing that much, but I also think such a thing might ruin the game

• Options
    Speaking of being bad at the combat, I'm curious how people are progressing past the various boss gates. For example, I'm now to the point where I need to build a Castle Throne, which takes iron. But in order to get Iron I need to kill a boss behind a locked gate. And in order to make the explosives to open the gate I need to kill another boss. But at my current max level (33 I think) all of those bosses are pretty much unkillable. For example the normal trash MOBs around the explosives guy are 35 to 37 (compared to my 33). While I can take out one of them decently, taking on a group of three or more is suicide. I haven't even been able to make it _to_ the boss much less try him out - which I expect will not end well for me.

In other games I would just go work on other advancement and come back with a bigger/better/faster gearset, but that seems to be gated behind the exact same achievements. So essentially, it feels like I need to kill the bosses in order to get the gear needed to kill the bosses. Maybe I'm missing something???

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    Speaking of being bad at the combat, I'm curious how people are progressing past the various boss gates. For example, I'm now to the point where I need to build a Castle Throne, which takes iron. But in order to get Iron I need to kill a boss behind a locked gate. And in order to make the explosives to open the gate I need to kill another boss. But at my current max level (33 I think) all of those bosses are pretty much unkillable. For example the normal trash MOBs around the explosives guy are 35 to 37 (compared to my 33). While I can take out one of them decently, taking on a group of three or more is suicide. I haven't even been able to make it _to_ the boss much less try him out - which I expect will not end well for me.

In other games I would just go work on other advancement and come back with a bigger/better/faster gearset, but that seems to be gated behind the exact same achievements. So essentially, it feels like I need to kill the bosses in order to get the gear needed to kill the bosses. Maybe I'm missing something???

For what’s it’s worth you can also break that gate with bear form. Though I ended up going the explosives route first. I think I was 39-40ish gear score before doing the path to iron though, mostly merciless stuff.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I'm only at 26 and have the Castle Throne quest, I think I'm missing some gear unlocks or something

• Options
    My blocker for the castle throne right now is greater blood essence, I need to go farm some unsullied hearts. Maybe bosses?

• Options
    My blocker for the castle throne right now is greater blood essence, I need to go farm some unsullied hearts. Maybe bosses?

You can do that, but also, progression spoilers below
    one of the bosses (Tristan the Vampire hunter, level 46) gives you the ability to convert 200 blood essence into 1 greater blood essence

• Options
    asofyeun wrote: »

You can do that, but also, progression spoilers below
    one of the bosses (Tristan the Vampire hunter, level 46) gives you the ability to convert 200 blood essence into 1 greater blood essence

Yeah I saw that he just seems like a bit more than I could tackle solo right now.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I have definitely noticed that once you start doing castle stuff, there's plenty of spots where there's an unmentioned "you cannot do this immediately, go beat up V Bloods to get more things" requirement for quest progression.

If your gear level is too low to beat up what the blood altar is pointing you at, figure out what parts of your kit can be upgraded and upgrade them. Fill out your researches, the actual books are annoyingly rare to drop, but the random research tickets are pretty plentiful if you go around raiding camps and killing their dudes and breaking all their boxes.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    heh, I was fighting a werewolf in the Dunley Farms area when the sun came up in the middle of our fight and suddenly I was fighting a very angry villager

edit: also that werewolf was on a killing spree, I came across a bunch of free stuff laying around on the ground and was wondering what was murdering all these militia patrols

asofyeun on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I can't seem to fight any enemy without losing most of my health. Also, enemies only walk around in groups of three, unless they're really tough. There just seems to be something about combat I'm not clicking with.

I'm far from an expert, but it seems like you can kite a lot of enemies (the ones without a bunch of fancy special attacks at least) with the sword pretty easily. You can attack while moving and keeping them at max range seems to minimize damage taken -- I killed a skull guy (substantially higher level) doing that without taking much damage at all.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spears are also the best weapon against enemies, you get a 25% damage bonus. swords seem kind of useless? like they have a bonus for farming plant fibers and that seems to be it

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I've actually been somewhat unclear on spear, is the bonus against all enemies, or just the blood type creature?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I've actually been somewhat unclear on spear, is the bonus against all enemies, or just the blood type creature?

Just creatures. But I find it a useful weapon against everything. It has nice range and its Q ability can do a lot of damage very fast.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    This game seems to have gotten pretty big in its first week. Gamespot and IGN have both posted a bunch of guide pages for it. And I'm seeing news reports that they have hit 500k users in the first week which is pretty huge for a small indie studio and a new IP and an early access game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

Just creatures. But I find it a useful weapon against everything. It has nice range and its Q ability can do a lot of damage very fast.

Spear is good at single target, but it's got no arc for when you're mulching a crowd. I kind of bounce between weapons a little bit, if you can catch a group, it is very satisfying using axe's E and hearing that ping when it lands.