As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

1121314151618»

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    it'll be interesting to see how the dynamic economy ends up working. They'll have low-level recipes for everything in the game. Right now the prices for mined resources are all fairly fixed, so of course I try to mine only the well-paying resources. Why would I want to sell aluminium when gold is right there?

But if there's actual supply/demand then things change a lot, and you might have to actually pay attention to it. Also actual cargo hauling will be an in-game profession in its own right, separated from trading via buying/selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1GGLQDZIPY

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There has long been a staple of space games, even going back to the late 80's and early 90's text based games for being able to buy low / sell high.

I used to play "Planets: The Exploration of Space" on online BBS's, and the big gameplay loop in that game was to fill your cargo hold with good from one planet, and then fly them to another planet that has a huge demand for it.

Like buying cheap ice from the ice planet and then selling it for like 1000% markup on the volcano planet. That kind of thing.

I'd like to be able to do that in SC, even without a dynamic economy. They kind of have that, but not to the extreme that I mentioned in my example. Probably once we have more star systems in the game and players are able to travel much greater distances, stuff like what I described will become possible in SC. For mining and for cargo hauling both.

You can do a lot of fun stuff with the sci-fi / space setting. Mining gold is moderately profitable in the Stanton system, just because it's a commodity. But what if there was a star system several jumps away that has a race of snail people who eat gold? All of a sudden gold's value goes way up if you're willing to make the trip out there to sell to the gold eating snail people.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Sure, Furnace snails. You feed them RMC and they poop out little nuggets of all the different metals it contained. That's how that all works.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hellbore wrote: »
    From Reddit, an excellent demonstration of Persistant Entities.
    u0ma1grwjze1.jpeg

I really hope they can bolt on some form of ray tracing at some point. With the detail level so high on so much of the architecture that seeing stuff not be effected by ambient lighting really throws me into the uncanny valley for the space.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The 3.23 patch is now marked as ”Q2”, but then again, there’s so damn much in it.

• Options
    Hmm... interesting. I wonder if that means they'll be inserting a branch of 3.22 into the schedule for Q1?

• Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    The following cards have been added to Release View in the Alpha 3.23 patch cycle, currently targeting a April 2024 release:
    From the roadmap roundup. April is when q1 releases generally happen anyways because of delays. Doesn't seem to have changed much other than changing the q number.

• Options
    Yeah, I was wondering if that was the case. To me "Q2 patch" means it's playable in Q2, ie released at end of Q1.

But what do I know, I'm just a software engineer.

• Options
    There's a free-flight event going on now, limited to five ships. Looks like they cover all types of play except for salvaging.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I just booted up the game to see what's new. I need to replace my computer before I even attempt this game again. I am utterly incapable of running it at a playable frame rate.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    3.23 is still looming, and still promises to be the single biggest patch they have ever released. With new HUD, new Star Map, new mobiGlas, master modes, engineering gameplay, and probably other stuff that I forgot to mention. No official release date has been announced, but I believe they said they're aiming for April sometime.

They also just dropped a surprise letter from the chairman.
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/19848-Letter-From-The-Chairman

Obviously anything that Chris Roberts says needs to be taken with an entire mountain of salt. And probably best to just ignore it entirely.

But a couple key takeaways are that they're still actively pushing towards the 4.0 release, which will include server meshing and two complete star systems to play in (Stanton and Pyro). He also states that they have created a definition for what Live Release v1.0 will be. Yes, it's insane that they're just now defining that. That should have been defined 11 years ago. But regardless of that, it's still exciting to hear them talking about 1.0 in a much more "real" sense. Again... take a mountain of salt because this is CR and anything he says needs like +4 years added to it.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    He also states that they have created a definition for what Live Release v1.0 will be. Yes, it's insane that they're just now defining that. That should have been defined 11 years ago. But regardless of that, it's still exciting to hear them talking about 1.0 in a much more "real" sense. Again... take a mountain of salt because this is CR and anything he says needs like +4 years added to it.

I re-read it to make sure I didn't misread it. They have not yet defined what 1.0 will be. The letter only said they will begin the process of identifying what 1.0 should be.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    Blah64 wrote: »
    He also states that they have created a definition for what Live Release v1.0 will be. Yes, it's insane that they're just now defining that. That should have been defined 11 years ago. But regardless of that, it's still exciting to hear them talking about 1.0 in a much more "real" sense. Again... take a mountain of salt because this is CR and anything he says needs like +4 years added to it.

I re-read it to make sure I didn't misread it. They have not yet defined what 1.0 will be. The letter only said they will begin the process of identifying what 1.0 should be.

Yeah you have to dig a bit, but this appears accurate. They have formed the committee that has begun the process of identifying what 1.0 will look like, but that process is not yet done:
    Working in tandem, Rich and I will continue to establish the strategic vision to bring to life the intended Star Citizen gameplay experience. As Rich said, over the past few months, our teams have been busily planning the upcoming major milestones for the Persistent Universe, culminating in what we refer to as "Star Citizen 1.0." As that roadmap comes together and becomes validated, we look forward to sharing with you both its vision and executional plan later this year.

Efficiency that would make the most byzantine government organization stand in awe.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    12 years into development and they don't even have a goal in mind yet. Impressive.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    We shall now begin the process to outline the standards by which the committee shall proceed to establish the guidelines that will be used to identify the metrics that will be employed to create the operating procedure that will dictate the method....

Out there somewhere Hermes Conrad is nodding approvingly.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    To be fair, before people started handing them $texas for pictures of spaceships, they actually had a pretty narrowly defined visions they were brining to life after the Kickstarter...

• Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    To be fair, before people started handing them $texas for pictures of spaceships, they actually had a pretty narrowly defined visions they were brining to life after the Kickstarter...

Yea, then when they realized how much money they were getting, they had a public vote on whether they should expand the scope or not.

I'm one of those people that voted 'Expand the scope'.
    I regret nothing.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Even in the context of a live service game, it can be handy to decide when you've officially hit 1.0. I'm not sure if Warframe ever bothered defining such a point or if they just sort of seamlessly transitioned from eternal beta.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I don't play Star Citizen and I don't know if I ever will, but man, if they delivered an actual in-game economy that revolved around players mining, hauling, and selling resources that would be amazing.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

Yea, then when they realized how much money they were getting, they had a public vote on whether they should expand the scope or not.

I'm one of those people that voted 'Expand the scope'.
    I regret nothing.

that's okay I will regret for the both of us

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I don't play Star Citizen and I don't know if I ever will, but man, if they delivered an actual in-game economy that revolved around players mining, hauling, and selling resources that would be amazing.

Yeah, I'm not so hot on that. A fully player driven economy can go pear shaped pretty easily, and take a bit of care and feeding. Given the level of sim-galaxy they're going for, they'd probably end up with something like the X games, where systems could go down the crapper (sorta) because the supply chains to support various factories weren't happening.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Player-influenced economies can be a good idea. Player-controlled economies basically guarantee assholes ruining the game.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What they have said they are aiming for is a high level simulation of an NPC economy where PC actions are not required to keep the economy functional. The world doesn't revolve around a handful of truck drivers.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 18
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yeah, I'm not so hot on that. A fully player driven economy can go pear shaped pretty easily, and take a bit of care and feeding. Given the level of sim-galaxy they're going for, they'd probably end up with something like the X games, where systems could go down the crapper (sorta) because the supply chains to support various factories weren't happening.

Yeah, the X games aren't a good economic simulation because the faction internal economies are deliberately crippled by the devs. They are blocked from building certain factories/items in order to artificially introduce shortages for the player to fill. They are also hard capped on total growth. If left to their own devices long enough, those shortages will cause everyone's economies grind to a halt. And that's with just a few items being supply limited. A purely player driven economy could be even less stable as there's far more points of failure.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I think I’m picturing Eve but you get to fly your own ship (i.e. it’s fun to play).

• Options
    Just as a point of curiosity, has anyone ever done a size comparison between the smaller Eve ships and Star Citizen ships? I am wondering how a Rifter or some other Tackle frigs scale to an Idris.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Just as a point of curiosity, has anyone ever done a size comparison between the smaller Eve ships and Star Citizen ships? I am wondering how a Rifter or some other Tackle frigs scale to an Idris.

Random Googling says the Idris is 84m, with the Rifter at 70m.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    This looks good, and there will be an option to pay to have your ship cargo loaded/unloaded, taking roughly 1 minute per 60 SCU, according to the video.

https://youtu.be/xgvyY0MoRXU

• Options
    They did some more Server Meshing playtesting this weekend. This time the tests were entirely within the Stanton system, and they tried various configurations of splitting the system up by planets, regions, etc.

From what I've gathered, it was pretty stable when they had around 400 players in a single shard (shard being a collection of meshed servers), but when they increased it up to 700-800 players, it got pretty rough and unplayable.

Even still, pretty exciting to hear those kinds of numbers. Hopefully they were able to gather a ton of good data for the network engineers and can keep this kind of thing going.

• Options
    I played in the tests. In the 400 player shards, I joined no problem. Played flawlessly, couldn't tell when I transitioned servers, crash recovery worked in 1-2 minutes. The 800 player shards would take over an hour to load in. Stuck in the loading screen until 30k a few times, then when would eventually load in, character stuck in a bed with several other players. No one able to get out of bed. Could just look around and pull up mobi-glass, which I could not see because view is obstructed by the other players' bodies.

Was a very exciting weekend in SC.

• Options
    edited March 25
    So what's this Overdrive thing? It's not "Free ship", is it? That sounds too good.

edit: ah, rental. But owners get a spec upgrade?

Echo on
  • Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    If you finish all the Overdrive missions you get a token to upgrade a civilian F7C MkII to a military F7A MkII. The F7C MkII is a new ship you can buy or upgrade to which is different than the various F7C MkI ships that were previously in the pledge store.

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    character stuck in a bed… No one able to get out of bed. Could just look around and pull up mobi-glass

When was daylight savings time added as a stretch goal

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I'm guessing that they're going to need to instance your starting hab location? Is that why multiple people were piled up in the same bed? Because with 400-800 players, it was multi-assigning people to the same hab?

• Options
    I'm guessing that they're going to need to instance your starting hab location? Is that why multiple people were piled up in the same bed? Because with 400-800 players, it was multi-assigning people to the same hab?

Time to add the same warnings as in elevators on the beds. "12 people max capacity"

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This is going to be the permanent, personal hangar that they're working on bringing in the next update.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

This is going to be the permanent, personal hangar that they're working on bringing in the next update.
    Yep, but Lucascraft was sayin' that we need to instance the spawning bed locations as well, not just the hangars.
    There are currently not enough beds in game for 800 players.