Options

Uvalde Shooting: 19 elementary school children dead, 2 adults

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited May 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
I don’t even know what to say at this point. There are more mass shootings every year than there are days in the year. The only thing that makes this one significant is that people’s small children were murdered. But that happened at Sandy Hook, too, and we just kept on truckin’ with this Wild West bullshit.

I’m infuriated, sad beyond belief, and exhausted, all at the same time.

If you’re a gun person coming into the thread to talk about technicalities or how statistically rare these things are in the grand scheme of things, maybe stop and think about going to do something a bit less inappropriate, like farting in a crowded elevator.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Texas politicians would rather make sure all schools have a "in good we trust" placard and have teachers trained on how to stop a blood wound than do anything even remotely resembling gun control, the thing that would obviously work since we're the only country in the world with this fucking epidemic.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I mean, there isn't really anything to say at this point. Even the lament about how repetitive and rote this is has become repetitive and rote.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Someone took offense with me because I said "this is just a depressing fact of life, like car accidents"

"Do you think anything will change because of this?"

"well, no"

"then it's a depressing fact of life"

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    This December is the 10 year anniversary of Sandy Hook.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I got blindsided by this while trying to unwind watching Young Rock. Thanks media.
    The president talked about it. So, maybe something will happen.

• Options
    O'Rourke should outright call out Abbott and the AG as accomplices to murder. Enough.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    I was just thinking how depressing it was that even these forums have become so jaded and inured to mass shootings that most don't even merit note.

Actually, I thought that about one months ago, but can't even remember which because fucking hell there have been so many.

Fuck this country's fucking gun fetishism.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I have a 1 year old and have anxiety every day thinking about what I'll do when school age comes. How do you home school? Is that even feasible? What If he has no siblings, does he need that socialization? Is that worth the risk?

And then I think about how Columbine happened when I was in high school, and it's only got worse. And how much worse it will be when he needs to go to school.

And how my parents never had to make this choice.

I am trying to find out how hard it is to move. To leave the country. It's just panic mode against the clock waiting until he has to go to school and I sit every day with anxiety wondering if he's safe.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. I got blindsided by this while trying to unwind watching Young Rock. Thanks media.

Nope.

Nothing will happen until the GOP is at at least a 5 seat deficit in the Senate.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Texas politicians would rather make sure all schools have a "in good we trust" placard and have teachers trained on how to stop a blood wound than do anything even remotely resembling gun control, the thing that would obviously work since we're the only country in the world with this fucking epidemic.

No, they want to double down on it.

Ken Paxton (the still indicted AG of Texas) already released a statement that teachers should be armed. Because that's the most stupid fucking answer to this.

The NRA Convention in Houston this weekend has the usual suspects Greg Abbott, Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, Dan Crenshaw, and Trump. Granted, this was before this assault, but I doubt any of them will pull out or make any statement other than "thoughts and prayers" at the convention.

Secret Service have already mandated that no weapons are allowed in the General Assembly Hall. PDF

Chris Murphy (Senator, Connecticut) made an impassioned speech on the floor already, likely to no avail.

"“Why are you here?!" A furious Sen. Chris Murphy demands answers from senators following Texas school shooting. “Why do you spend all this time running for the United States Senate...if your answer, is as the slaughter increases, as our kids run for their lives—we do nothing?”"
    *video of clip that is pretty potent in it's justified anger*
    - ABC News is a news service.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If you really want to be pissed off, Trump is speaking at an NRA rally in Houston, TX this Friday.

The NRA has mandated that there be strict gun control at the event.

You know, because somebody important might get shot otherwise.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Nope.

Nothing will happen until the GOP is at at least a 5 seat deficit in the Senate.

I mean you could start with little stuff, like letting the ATF computerize its records.

American gun policy isn't just bad: it's deliberately constructed to enable and promulgate gun crimes.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

No, they want to double down on it.

Ken Paxton (the still indicted AG of Texas) already released a statement that teachers should be armed. Because that's the most stupid fucking answer to this.

The NRA Convention in Houston this weekend has the usual suspects Greg Abbott, Ted Cruz, John Cornyn, Dan Crenshaw, and Trump. Granted, this was before this assault, but I doubt any of them will pull out or make any statement other than "thoughts and prayers" at the convention.

Secret Service have already mandated that no weapons are allowed in the General Assembly Hall. PDF

Chris Murphy (Senator, Connecticut) made an impassioned speech on the floor already, likely to no avail.

"“Why are you here?!" A furious Sen. Chris Murphy demands answers from senators following Texas school shooting. “Why do you spend all this time running for the United States Senate...if your answer, is as the slaughter increases, as our kids run for their lives—we do nothing?”"
    *video of clip that is pretty potent in it's justified anger*
    - ABC News is a news service.

As some added context, afaik Murphy represented the district where Sandy Hook happened when it happened. So he's gotten to watch nothing change after this shit happened in his own district.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Next step would be 'it's a mental health issue'

'Okay are you going to campaign for expanding mental health programs?'

'No'

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    TBH, I'm surprised we even have a thread for this but I guess massacring school age children is enough of an exception to warrant one. Apologies if I missed any recent thread about the hate crime shooting in Buffalo New York.

I woke up and the number was around 13 or so, but I guess now that the hospital is starting to process victims others have died and it's 18 kids and 3 adults, with that number probably going to rise. Unfortunately, we've already seen that a bunch of dead kids are not enough to do anything about this and the political cowardice in the US is deeply ingrained at this point.

The answer is obvious. It's been obvious since Columbine. It is also inherently clear that answer will never happen again. I am struck by this event as I remember an event from Sandy Hook, where the families of those who were waiting to hear news of the shooting were the only ones left after the other children were accounted for. They were told as a group that if they were still there, then that meant their kids were among the dead that they had identified. The sound of despair and anguish from those parents was so loud, people well away from the building out on the street heard it clearly. It is utterly terrible that something like this happens again.
    Dac wrote: »

'No'

They've already gone straight for the "Mentally ill people committing crimes!" angle within minutes to be frank.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I mean I live in america I too got a front row seat at america not giving a fuck about kids dying.

This won't change anything for the better, we'll just add more guns and call it a day till the next one.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Trying to force teachers to carry guns sounds like a great way to not have any teachers

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I thought for sure there would already be a thread and I know in the year twenty twenty two there seems to be little point.

But fuck getting inoculated against the horror of this. Fuck letting this seem normal. And fuck every politician that won’t pass the gun control legislation we need to keep fucking children from getting murdered.

Enough is fucking enough.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »
    Trying to force teachers to carry guns sounds like a great way to not have any teachers

Feature not bug for the GOP

• Options
    I thought for sure there would already be a thread and I know in the year twenty twenty two there seems to be little point.

But fuck getting inoculated against the horror of this. Fuck letting this seem normal. And fuck every politician that won’t pass the gun control legislation we need to keep fucking children from getting murdered.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I remember this after Sandy Hook and that's when Obama had majorities in senate/congress with tough sounding rhetoric, which literally went away after a few months then nothing happened.

It's going to take a generational shift to change this. I don't think I'll even be alive for it.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

Natasha Bertrand is a CNN Reporter
    Sgt. Erick Estrada of the Texas Dept of Public Safety tells @andersoncooper the shooter crashed his car near the school, got out with a gun and wearing body armor, was engaged by law enforcement, but made his way into the school anyway and went classroom to classroom shooting.

Dunno how much clearer the futility of militarizing teachers is in the face of this development, but that won't stop those inclined to do so

Really frustrating to see the government's complete inability to prevent this entirely preventable tragedy from occurring

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    I'm resigned to defeat on this. Our country is too fucked up to solve these kind of things now. Things will just get worse and will just become more and more normalized.

If that's doomposting, well, 18 kids are dead. Again.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular

What a way to force the increase of gun sales.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

'No'
    Spare me the bullshit about mental illness.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

To the people arguing in favor of the idea, I assure you that that's a feature, not a bug.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Can I just point out, is it just me or are these shootings happening with the shooter having tactical body armour becoming far more common? The buffalo shooting was also engaged by an armed security guard, but he had tactical armour on and so won that gunfight to go on to murder 10 people.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can I just point out, is it just me or are these shootings happening with the shooter having tactical body armour becoming far more common?

Not like it's hard to get.

• Options

What a way to force the increase of gun sales.

No worry about that, anytime a shooting hits the news the goobers run out and buy a new arsenal because they fear America would actually do something despite literally decades of that not being true.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    Everything to make mass shootings easier has just become more accessible to every person.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Can I just point out, is it just me or are these shootings happening with the shooter having tactical body armour becoming far more common?

Not like it's hard to get.

Yeah, but I mean it seems to be a thing now that these shooters aren't just arming themselves with guns but also getting tactical armor.

They expect armed resistance now and are preparing for it.

• Options
    edited May 2022

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I remember this after Sandy Hook and that's when Obama had majorities in senate/congress with tough sounding rhetoric, which literally went away after a few months then nothing happened.

It's going to take a generational shift to change this. I don't think I'll even be alive for it.

This is incorrect. Sandy Hook was in 2012. Republicans controlled the House. And Boehner opposed any attempt at gun control of any sort.

shryke on
  • Options
    I'm resigned to defeat on this. Our country is too fucked up to solve these kind of things now. Things will just get worse and will just become more and more normalized.

If that's doomposting, well, 18 kids are dead. Again.

I refuse to give in to these cretins. The Senate is the obstacle. I'll hammer that idea into every person I meet.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

This is incorrect. Sandy Hook was in 2012. Republicans controlled the House. And Boehner opposed any attempt at gun control of any sort.

Ah, would Biden be likely to get anywhere with the Senate in the current state?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

'No'

Oh they're way fucking past that now

Now they're advocating for taking away kids toys and giving them ballistic blankets instead

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Every weapon which can hold a magazine should be banned. There is no legal or necessary purpose to which a weapon can be put which requires many rounds or quick reloading. 3 month amnesty, then every single one of them is illegal and must be destroyed. Just do it in blue states and say fuck you to the Supreme Court.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I was just thinking how depressing it was that even these forums have become so jaded and inured to mass shootings that most don't even merit note.

Actually, I thought that about one months ago, but can't even remember which because fucking hell there have been so many.

Fuck this country's fucking gun fetishism.

I think we mostly don't have threads about mass shootings because they turn into crappy gun control debates, but I think a fair chunk of the pro-gun geese that shit up these threads have actually been banned since the last one I remember, so who knows, maybe we can actually talk about it now.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Nope 50 gop senators say no, and you have at least 2 democratic senators against it. Manchin everyones favorite asshole and probably Sinema.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Nope. I doubt you have 50 votes to break the filibuster. If you even get that far.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Nope 50 gop senators say no, and you have at least 2 democratic senators against it. Manchin everyones favorite asshole and probably Sinema.

Manchin is for it in theory but values the filibuster more than children's lives.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I think we mostly don't have threads about mass shootings because they turn into crappy gun control debates, but I think a fair chunk of the pro-gun geese that shit up these threads have actually been banned since the last one I remember, so who knows, maybe we can actually talk about it now.

The pro-gun people are all in the pro-gun thread a few down, celebrating the passtime that leads to these mass murders.