As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not Safe For [Job] thread

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I am too honestly. I've noticed the antiwork subreddit likes to find those postings and make automated scripts to flood them with garbage, which is great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yet another ServiceNow complaint: when I have an INC open in a tab, then it gets reassigned to another team by someone else, and I start getting popups telling me I can't assign it to a team I'm not a member of.
    I didn't do that! I was just looking at it! I didn't even try to save anything you're just preemptively yelling at me about field change that was pushed to me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What kind of screen?
    @Brainleech Google says that the screen for Securitas is a urine test for drugs.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Anyone have visual inspection experience in the aerospace field and need a job in the Georgia area? No? Damn. I need to hire two more folks and meeting the prerequisites set by my boss is proving challenging.

I'm in SC so Georgia is not that far off but I have no desire to go to Georgia so I'm only really asking out of curiosity: what are the other requirements? I've never worked in aerospace manufacturing but I've been eyeing that field as a possible step up from the production field I'm in.

I'm out sick today but I'll pull the posting once I have my work pc again. There are a bunch of manufacturing positions open as well, we're staffing way up lately. Is Asheville, NC closer to you? New plant being built up thereabouts.

I'm about an hour and a half out from Asheville, so a little too far for a commute but I can definitely look at stuff.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Just got the official notice of a company-wide 3% raise, effective next week. Nothing amazing, but as it’s on top of individual/merit increases, I can’t complain.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Remote call center work is a really good suggestion if you're having problems finding work locally that pays enough. A lot of times the requirements are minimal. For example, here's one I found after a quick Google:

https://careers.ace.aaa.com/us/en/job/ACOSUSJR202210007EXTERNALENUS/Customer-Service-Representative-Call-Center-Remote?utm_source=indeed&utm_medium=phenom-feeds&src=JB-10051

The only experience it requires is one year customer service experience, which includes working a year (or more) at Walmart.

If you want to find more, search "remote call center entry level"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Warning: the things that suck about call centers:
    1) your time is pretty strictly regimented, including bosses getting on your case for needing to pee and dumb shit like that.
    2) you're stuck at your computer all day instead of getting to walk around much.
    3) the call centers who will hire anyone probably have a high turnaround and bad management. There are probably more calls than people who can take those calls, so everyone who reaches you will be mad, leading to a lot of people yelling at you for things that aren't your fault. This absolutely does take a toll on your psyche day after day.

All that said, I still prefer call center to any retail, including "good" retail with good management. Among other things, call centers usually pay a lot better than retail. Additionally, if your first call center job sucks, then after you get a year of experience you can leverage that for a call center job at a different company.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Accidentally dug up a nest of baby mice today, dooming them all. Sad face.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    There's a job I'm pretty interested in applying for but it's in Houston Texas. With all the political shenanigans going on there Texas has now joined Florida as a state I'll go out of my way to avoid living and working in.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I know the agrees on my post are probably intended as sympathetic but I'm choosing to believe it means that tynic and DC also dug up nests of baby mice today

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    There's a job I'm pretty interested in applying for but it's in Houston Texas. With all the political shenanigans going on there Texas has now joined Florida as a state I'll go out of my way to avoid living and working in.

What shenanigans in particular? If it's about leaving the union... They do this song and dance every few years. If it's about the fundie religious laws then yeah I feel ya.

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Depending on your area, look up USPS as well. My 63 year old uncle just got a job in Minneapolis with them, so I imagine they are scrounging for people. And I believe your status as a veteran gets you a leg up on the hiring process.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I know the agrees on my post are probably intended as sympathetic but I'm choosing to believe it means that tynic and DC also dug up nests of baby mice today

Not today, but I have done that before with baby chipmunks. Those varmints drive me nuts but I don't want to kill their babbies.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I considered euthanising them all with a spade but worried that might make my client think I'm a psychopath so I just left them in a sad little huddle under a nearby plant

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

What shenanigans in particular? If it's about leaving the union... They do this song and dance every few years. If it's about the fundie religious laws then yeah I feel ya.

The whole ultra conservative political majority and all that it entails for religion, sexuality, education, gun control, etc. Add to that the messed up power provider situation. There are some good things about Texas like the car culture, food, lack of winter weather, and cheap gas.

It's very much a matter of putting aside personal morals for what could be a cool job working for the government/NASA and would entail close interaction with astronauts teaching them how to use the photo, video, and imaging instrumentation they'll be using.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Accidentally dug up a nest of baby mice today, dooming them all. Sad face.

The animal rescuer in me wants to take them all in and try to bottle feed them. But I know I'm not really down for feedings every 2 hours, that's one of the many reasons I didn't have kids.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "Can you help me with this? I'm trying to get my hunting license. I passed all the firearms stuff but I keep failing the ethics test."
    "I'm...not sure about that."

Turns out he knew all his stuff, it was just a really poorly-designed test. One of those multiple choice things where half the questions had two or three answers that weren't in any way incorrect, but the test writer had one in mind that was most correct.

Between his study notes on conservation and fair chase doctrine and my nose for multiple-choice red flags, we managed to pass it with a respectable 88%.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Never work for fedex, my local distribution center fired all black people after an incident

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I somehow got added to some email list for a training course to be a missionary on container ships? Like, are you supposed to convert the crew or... the boats themselves?

• Options
    edited June 2022
    One more thing I want to say about call center jobs:
    My very first "career" job was doing call center IT. The cool bit is that that was also a union job. Which meant good pay, good benefits, and management can't either fire you for no reason or torture you, because you can put in grievances. I once had a manager who I insisted I would never have a 1 on 1 with her again without my union representative there, because of how toxic she was.

Anyway, if you're wondering where you get a union call center job: telecom. Not wireless Telecom (cell phones) or satellite telecom, but good, old fashioned copper and new-fashioned fiber telecom. AT&T and Verizon are both still union, though Verizon at least has tried selling off all of its union territories to get out of that game. Unfortunately, whether a job is union or not isn't very easy to tell just from the job listing, as it may be that all remote jobs are considered "consultants" or "free lancers" who aren't given the benefit of the union, but it's worth a shot. Telecom have customer service roles as well as IT.

Here's an example of one of those jobs; it restricts what state you're allowed to live in for remote, which does make me think it's union (since Union representation would apply only to people in certain states): https://www.att.jobs/job/illinois/customer-service-representative-work-from-home/117/28336665648?utm_campaign=google_jobs_apply&utm_source=google_jobs_apply&utm_medium=organic

Even with all the stress involved with call center jobs, I loved working Union so much that I would have stayed with Verizon to retirement if they had allowed it. Although to be fair, after about 18 months of calls, they decided I was smart and moved me to a department that required little customer interaction; Seeing as I left the union after we moved to Frontier and everything became shit, I still do have a limit to how much awfulness I can take, even with a union.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I had a new guy make an IT ticket to get a license for some software

IT: Who is responsible for getting this license?
    Me: Uh, your are?
    IT: ok but we have no idea how to do this
    Me: Ask your boss?
    IT: He said to ask you!

The software is an option in the menu, and the rest of us got licenses from IT, so at some point someone knew how to do this.

• Options
    In thinking about this topic, I was momentarily surprised to find that AT&T and Verizon aren't openly advertising that they are union, as a way to fill their ranks in this difficult job market. But then I remembered that CEO see their #1 job as increasing stock prices and pleasing stock holders, so the last thing they'd want to do is draw attention to the fact that they have union jobs they can't get rid of like some sort of malignant growth inhibiting stock price, despite the increasing popularity of unions.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    "When tracking an animal that is proving elusive do you...

A. Check for signs of the animal? I.E footprints, broken branches, tufts of fur or bedding areas?

B. Take one of the animals loved ones hostage and threaten to kill it unless the animal shows itself, preferably at a dramatic spot for a confrontation like a high waterfall or by some big cliffs?

C. Shock and Awe! Use high area of effect munitions such as napalm or cluster munitions to deny the animal freedom of movement, thus forcing it out into the open?

D. Create a Prisoners Dilemma by rigging two ponds - one filled with innocent turtles, and the other filled with hardened criminal turtles - with explosives and giving each pond of turtles a detonator. If neither pond chooses to detonate the other within a set period of time both ponds will detonate, killing all the turtles. Because, you see, it was never about hunting. It was about sending a message. It was about showing the animal that given the right push, even the most innocent and simple creatures will kill without hesitation, without blinking a fucking eye. That's the world we live in, The Animal. It always has been."

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I am too honestly. I've noticed the antiwork subreddit likes to find those postings and make automated scripts to flood them with garbage, which is great.

Has their moderation team changed at all since the media fiasco with that subreddit? Haven't been back since then.

• Options
    Smurph wrote: »
    I had a new guy make an IT ticket to get a license for some software

IT: Who is responsible for getting this license?
    Me: Uh, your are?
    IT: ok but we have no idea how to do this
    Me: Ask your boss?
    IT: He said to ask you!

The software is an option in the menu, and the rest of us got licenses from IT, so at some point someone knew how to do this.

I used to work internal chats with my fellow employees that were like this. My job most of the time was telling people how to do their jobs, sometimes on software that I didn't have access to. I was annoyed with that at first, but eventually I just learned how they do their stuff and walked them through it.

At my current job, I imagine the answer would be in a confluence somewhere.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've spent today looking into just how age-old the discussions on terminology are.

In the process, I've learned a few more keywords I need to look out for: Portfolio, capability, and so on.

I also read a good article on the disconnect between ITIL and Agile, and how DevOps tries to merge the two.

All this to answer the question of "where do I properly track what I know I need to do but can't get to it yet?"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've spent today looking into just how age-old the discussions on terminology are.

In the process, I've learned a few more keywords I need to look out for: Portfolio, capability, and so on.

I also read a good article on the disconnect between ITIL and Agile, and how DevOps tries to merge the two.

All this to answer the question of "where do I properly track what I know I need to do but can't get to it yet?"

Kanban board with Jiras listed on it in columns like "not started", "active/in process" "remediated" and "closed"?

I do find Jiras in general as a helpful way to track "need to do" stuff.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Cambiata wrote: »

Kanban board with Jiras listed on it in columns like "not started", "active/in process" "remediated" and "closed"?

I do find Jiras in general as a helpful way to track "need to do" stuff.

Yes, but that's the easy part. :D

We have 3 pieces of software that could do this, and each handles the breakdown of work in a slightly different way in terms of organizational structure. I'm trying to figure out where to put things that aren't tied to a specific piece of software or a product we provide to our customers. Like "Document X Process" kind of work.

Edit: It's more me just getting lost in tangents and planning ahead. I should instead pivot to going through the pre-reqs for my AWS training.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Between his study notes on conservation and fair chase doctrine and my nose for multiple-choice red flags, we managed to pass it

Yay!
    with a respectable 88%.

Hrrrrrrrrmmmm …

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Argh another rejection! And from a place where I thought I had a danged good interview as well. Bah, still have a few candidate places but looks like I need to do another round of applications.

I always wind up deciding once like 3-4 places give me a first interview that I obviously am going to get one of them and then wind up with a week or two where I don't have any interviews because I stop applying, I should be applying to a couple a week regardless of my confidence level.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

We have 3 pieces of software that could do this, and each handles the breakdown of work in a slightly different way in terms of organizational structure. I'm trying to figure out where to put things that aren't tied to a specific piece of software or a product we provide to our customers. Like "Document X Process" kind of work.

Edit: It's more me just getting lost in tangents and planning ahead. I should instead pivot to going through the pre-reqs for my AWS training.

I swear by some GTD system like Things or Todoist for more ad-hoc tasks. I was actually talking to my manager just today about the concept of tasks that aren't really Jira-worthy. I'm trying to get something approved to actually help me work with that, because the human brain is awful at remembering stuff and I love Things for just rapidly getting "random thought X" or "remember to talk to Y about Z" into an inbox where I can organize stuff later.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Discovered nail in company vehicle and pondering how long its been there

I ponder How lazy teammates would be with tire pressure light flashing, it appearently been flashing a while

• Options
    Echo wrote: »

I swear by some GTD system like Things or Todoist for more ad-hoc tasks. I was actually talking to my manager just today about the concept of tasks that aren't really Jira-worthy. I'm trying to get something approved to actually help me work with that, because the human brain is awful at remembering stuff and I love Things for just rapidly getting "random thought X" or "remember to talk to Y about Z" into an inbox where I can organize stuff later.

Of course Things is Mac only and super expensive for desktop use. :D

I think I tried todoist in the far past. I'm just leery of keeping work and personal goals in separate systems.

... Also I hate training via slides and presentations. This AWS fundamentals stuff I'm taking is going over the basics of the cloud, and it's taking all my willpower to stay awake for things I already know.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2022
    Of course Things is Mac only and super expensive for desktop use. :D

Sure, it's 50 bucks.

And I bought it in 2009 so I think I got some mileage out of those 50 bucks.

Todoist has a free tier for the Things ripoff option.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Tomorrow might turn out to be interesting, depending on how much my supervisors care about policy and procedure. There's going to be a lot of people going under a bus in the report I'm writing, because apparently these motherfuckers thought they're clever until I caught hold of an odd thread and yanked to reveal a colossal clusterfuck lurking beneath the surface.

It's nothing illegal or similar. They're just lazy, but in ways that lead to big problems later. Like drawing the eye of Sacramento problems. And, to be quite honest, I have no sympathy for these people after all the chances they've been given to actually do their jobs.

Madican on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Has their moderation team changed at all since the media fiasco with that subreddit? Haven't been back since then.

Eh,I don't think so but I don't know. It's fine, the sub is still gaining users, and seeing a combination of people fucking over bad bosses and gentle reassurance from outside the US is cathartic.

Also the workreform sub always smelled like a corporate built trap.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Oh I haven't been to that one either, because yeah it seemed a little off

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Jedoc wrote: »
    "Can you help me with this? I'm trying to get my hunting license. I passed all the firearms stuff but I keep failing the ethics test."
    "I'm...not sure about that."

Turns out he knew all his stuff, it was just a really poorly-designed test. One of those multiple choice things where half the questions had two or three answers that weren't in any way incorrect, but the test writer had one in mind that was most correct.

Between his study notes on conservation and fair chase doctrine and my nose for multiple-choice red flags, we managed to pass it with a respectable 88%.

You helped someone cheat on an ethics exam?

*edit* Not being judgy, just confirming I read the story correctly.

Heffling on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I mean, if I’m allowed to take the test unmonitored online from any computer, I’m going to assume I can utilize any resources I have at my disposal, up to and including helpful librarians.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.