As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I Blame the [Steam] Thread

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Steam has added "add to library" button without needing to start installation process.

that was so annoying; better late than never!

For all those games on sale that I'll never play.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Finally beat the final boss/super boss of Octopath Traveller.

Damn it feels good to come back to a game after a long absence and finish the job after years of saying "I really got to get that done".

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just started the pixel remake of Final Fantasy III. It's the only "classic" Final Fantasy I've not put any appreciable time into, mainly due to not grabbing the 3D remake in either its PC or Nintendo DS iterations.

It is pretty fun so far! The class system is still kinda basic compared to FF5's but I'll take it over the weird AD&D-inspired stuff that FF2 uses.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I'm getting pretty far in ME2 and just finished the IFF mission, which just leaves one more before the big one. Making liberal use of the 'it probably won't get worse button' for a Vanguard has been a lot of fun even though it's far less reliable than it is in ME3. I've mostly been running with Miranda and the very model of a scientist Salarian. That may be partly because there are achievements to overload shields, incinerate armour, and warp barriers, but I also want teammates who can get through shields, armour, and barriers.

ME2 does feel very much like a different game than ME1. ME1 was an old school Bioware RPG and ME2 really goes for a mission centric action game vibe, but with RPG elements. While I get that both do have a certain total amount of XP and money available, it feels like getting less than the matching money from Cerberus in ME2 is a failure on my part. In ME1, each bit of XP and money feels like it was earned from exploring and that there's always more out there if one just went out and found it. I do understand that from a design perspective there's not a lot of difference, but from the player's perspective it feels quite different.

Also leaving on a very needed vacation on Monday. Looking forward to waking up at 5am, rolling over to the other shoulder, and falling back asleep. Much better than waking up in the middle of the night and wondering if I remembered to write down that I need to send the file to the person which awake me obviously knows I need to do. Mostly asleep me has very little faith in awake me.

To celebrate going on vacation, I'd like to bring some joy to others. Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark was my game of the year in whichever year I played it. It's a Final Fantasy Tactics style SRPG where the real fun is the job system. Max out this guy as a rogue, then get him halfway through as a fighter and defender so the shooter job opens, then max that then work on the dual weapon job... It's the first time in a long while that I opened a text file to keep track of each PC in a game and the plan I had for him or her. If that sounds like fun to you, I really, really recommend this game.

733Y2-B6H~~-JCTG0

If one fills in the tildes with the initials of a German firearms manufacturer or the first letters of a particularly aggressive character from KoToR, Fell Seal: Arbiters' Mark will appear in your account. If it's you, please let me know what you think of it, for better or worse.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Has to pull my Steam Deck out for TSA and the TSA lady was all "What is that?!" So that was cool.

"Oh this? Just a remote bomb detonator. That's ok, right?"

That happened to me with my Dreamcast on the way to PAX. I said Sega and she was like "oh!". Good taste.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Steam Deck is pretty damn cool. Loving tinkering with this thing more than playing on it so far though this first week. Installing a bunch of VNs on it when I have the time.

I also have a dual boot of Windows for it for some games I couldn't get working fully. Man is it a heartbreak when a game works 99% perfectly except for one thing: SAVING AND LOADING. (What? You mean you don't play entire visual novels in a single sitting?). It seems Wine and/or Lutris, while they can handle Japanese text and locale just fine, cannot handle Japanese (or just non-English) file and folder names at all. And some games are hard-coded so save or install in Japanese named folders which.... just doesn't work.

Also two comments on Windows on this thing: 1. I'm shocked at how well this works with outstanding community-made plugins and programs for the thing. It's actually a very pleasant experience and not like the horror stories I've heard. If one wanted someone could just run full Windows on this thing without having a bad time. 2. While Windows 11 has much better touchscreen capabilities and controls, man would I never upgrade my Desktop to this. Wow this OS sucks compared to 10. They just straight up stripped out so many features and also added more obfuscation in front of old setting menus that you actually need to access to do any real tweaking. The new Start Menu and Taskbar also blow gigantic chunks and have no customization. Then you compare this to say, experiencing KDE's wonderfulness for the first time and it's like.... whew.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I wanna hear how the deck functions with a fully operational freespace 2 media installation

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    My biggest sadness with the Steam Deck is being limited to flatpacks and appimages and simple scripts to change settings after an update.

I want to use pacman and the aur for programs and packages, but anything done through normal package managers gets wiped when Steam does an update the way they have the partitions and file systems designed.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I don't know why my brain says weekend = pvp and settles on slamming my head as a demon in Evil Dead: The Game which is still horribly broken including a bug that lets survivors dupe healing items to their hearts content making a demon win almost impossible.

Random game rambling
    Well I've been working on leveling up the Puppeteer demon (Eligos from the Starz tv series that I didn't know was a thing). Players and Demons especially, are quite weak when you don't have many talents. There is some leveling up during the game to unlock certain skills such as summoning evil units, elites, or big bad Eligos/Evil Ash/Henrietta themselves, but at the start you run around laying down traps while trying to find the survivors to start applying pressure.

Well my current build is about summoning the elite units: Demi-Eligos that are able to spawn themselves and call down lightning to strike nearby survivors. It's a slower start, but incentivizes putting points into Traps since at level 3/3 can summon elites instead of a regular unit. Still, these are hordes of mooks that are destined to die at the hands of the battle hardened survivors. Thankfully my basic units, Berserkers, explode on death which can be a great way to chip away the health bars of survivors--assuming they aren't abusing infinite health/shields or anything. :confused:

Well most of my matches went...unwell. And while I initially would quit and report folks I saw cheating, you don't get any level ups that way so I hankered down and kept going, frustratingly so. Loss after loss but my brain just kept going back.

Well I finally did it! Sure a player went afk early on and the group was hardly playing well together but I slayed those fools! Puppeteer units are just so sadly fragile that they can get stunned or beaten up so easily--not an issue for the basics, the explosions keep the survivors on their toes. But disappointing when my elites would quickly get knocked down without using my special power possession.

Anywho, just wanted to get it out there. I hope they fix the bugs cause the queue times for survivors sound pretty depressing and I would like to play them sometime.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That sounds crappy to play against. I hope they fix it ASAP and I don't even play.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I awesomed your post Karoz for your determination, not for the cheating.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Why do they keep making more and more of these asymmetric survivor/killer games when nobody seems to able to make one that isn't an unbalanced buggy mess?

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Because look at how many people say they hate the game and yet can't seem to stop playing?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Backpack Hero just released in Early Access. Has had quite a few updates, still super addictive and charming.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    Because look at how many people say they hate the game and yet can't seem to stop playing?

https://youtu.be/D0uUF3mK7Xk?t=56

Fast forward to 56 seconds...

ironzerg on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Why do they keep making more and more of these asymmetric survivor/killer games when nobody seems to able to make one that isn't an unbalanced buggy mess?

The core problem is almost always that the other players are massive dicks, and devs are reluctant to discourage that through mechanics or incentives for fear of driving off the population of assholes.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    also they're mostly licensed IP asymmetric games so the dev's incentive for post-launch support outside of already planned DLC is probably VERY low

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Backpack Hero just released in Early Access. Has had quite a few updates, still super addictive and charming.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    And be a Back Pack hero, got gear in his bag
    He's a Back Pack hero
    He took one satchel (Back Pack hero, gear in his bag)
    Back Pack hero, (gear in his bag) he'll fit it all inside

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Really not digging these missions that are all about beating a time limit in a management sim.

I suck

Mission 8
    Exterminate

#startopia

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular

I feel attacked

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They really need to rethink the design of the steam deck case, or at least provide one that is dipshit proof, because more than once I thought the dumb thing was closed up and picked up it by the handle to get surprised that, no, the zipper was not in fact closed, and now my oversized game gear is now meeting the floor. Today discovered that there is some minor marring on the right side and right trigger, probably because it struck a metal cabinet the last time. I mean, it's overall a big deal, but it's really bothering me!

For funsies, I looked up the ifixit guides to see how repairs would work, and the right trigger seem fairly straightforward, something I wouldn't mind doing. So then I looked up front plate replacement, and fuuuuuuuuuuck no lmao.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    I feel you would benefit from wrapping an elastic band around your case, though I understand why you would want a better case.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    This is bugging the shit out of me. I've got a message in Steam tha tit won't let me read. When I click on it, it says there was an error and it won't load.

I really don't care what it is - can I set all messages to 'Read' somewhere so it goes away?

• Options
    I have uninstalled startopia because I wasn't having fun with the segment breaching segments and all day smashing my head at that made it a wash.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Gears Tactics is currently 75% off on the Steam store until 22nd of August.

If you don't already own it and are a fan of X-COM style turn-based tacticool games, you owe it to yourself to get all up ons.

I originally gave this a play when it came up on gamepass and was blown away by just how damn good of a tactical game it was. I forgot about it / didn't have a computer for a long time so was pleasantly surprised to see this underrated gem on the front page.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    EvmaAlsar wrote: »
    Gears Tactics is currently 75% off on the Steam store until 22nd of August.

If you don't already own it and are a fan of X-COM style turn-based tacticool games, you owe it to yourself to get all up ons.

I originally gave this a play when it came up on gamepass and was blown away by just how damn good of a tactical game it was. I forgot about it / didn't have a computer for a long time so was pleasantly surprised to see this underrated gem on the front page.

At some point the "side missions" (which you must complete a certain number of to get the next story mission) do get a bit tedious, but the gameplay itself is amazing and can sorta make up for it.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    They really need to rethink the design of the steam deck case, or at least provide one that is dipshit proof, because more than once I thought the dumb thing was closed up and picked up it by the handle to get surprised that, no, the zipper was not in fact closed, and now my oversized game gear is now meeting the floor. Today discovered that there is some minor marring on the right side and right trigger, probably because it struck a metal cabinet the last time. I mean, it's overall a big deal, but it's really bothering me!

For funsies, I looked up the ifixit guides to see how repairs would work, and the right trigger seem fairly straightforward, something I wouldn't mind doing. So then I looked up front plate replacement, and fuuuuuuuuuuck no lmao.

It's funny because I've did the exact same thing twice with my Steam Deck. First time I started picking it up and noticed just as it was sliding open. Second time, it took a short fall onto the couch. I count myself very lucky there.

But there is something odd about the case that just makes it appear zipped when it's not. I've started making standard operating procedure zipping it to the middle so that both zippers are closed at the top near the handle as my way of telling myself it's actually zipped.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The top post on R/SteamDeck the other day was somebody 3d printing some sort of Deck Saver device that basically has like a velcro thing on it?

The general consensus was that you need to treat the Deck case like a gun: always assume it's loaded/open. Keep your thumb over the case to keep it shut. Check to see if the zippers are close together/closed, etc.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2022
    The top post on R/SteamDeck the other day was somebody 3d printing some sort of Deck Saver device that basically has like a velcro thing on it?

The general consensus was that you need to treat the Deck case like a gun: always assume it's loaded/open. Keep your thumb over the case to keep it shut. Check to see if the zippers are close together/closed, etc.

The case I have for my Switch has a velcro stay for the console inside, incorporated into a part that goes over the screen and has slots for cartridges. It also hinges at the top by the handle, not the bottom like the Deck case, but with that velcro it's not a problem.

It's this one:

n63mihakeyh7.jpg

A velcro strap with some kind of soft padding to protect the screen would be a good addition to the Deck case. I too am in the habit of zipping it to the middle so it's easy to see at a glance that it's done up.

Jazz on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My switch case is a hard clamshell type because I don't truck with squishy cases on sensitive electronics. Especially not ones known for joystick issues as it is

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    My switch case is a hard clamshell type because I don't truck with squishy cases on sensitive electronics. Especially not ones known for joystick issues as it is

Yeah, mine is pretty tough, feels close to the Deck case. Keeps it plenty safe.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm befuddled at how bad the case design for the Deck is, after seeing that image, Jazz.

Like, that is what the case design should have been.

There's this dumb strap in the case that does absolutely nothing and it infuriates me.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I'm befuddled at how bad the case design for the Deck is, after seeing that image, Jazz.

There's this dumb strap in the case that does absolutely nothing and it infuriates me.

well just install linux on the case :D

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022

The strap in the case is for easily lifting the Deck out of the case. That Switch case has one too (actually on the other end of that velcro tab). Put the Deck in on top of it, so the top of the strap is peeking over the top of the Deck. Pull to lift the Deck out.

Jazz on
  • Options

As was posted in chat the other day...

eltc49ycya4i.jpg

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

The strap in the case is for easily lifting the Deck out of the case. That Switch case has one too (actually on the other end of that velcro tab). Put the Deck in on top of it, so the top of the strap is peeking over the top of the Deck. Pull to lift the Deck out.

WAT?

Why is that even a thing, while there's no securing mechanism for not tumbling the fucker out of the case?

Do people use well oiled kitchen utensils to pull their Deck out of the case, I don't understand.

• Options
    edited August 2022

WAT?

Why is that even a thing, while there's no securing mechanism for not tumbling the fucker out of the case?

Do people use well oiled kitchen utensils to pull their Deck out of the case, I don't understand.

So you're not scrabbing to dig your fingers under it or pulling it up by the sticks or tipping it out or whatever. It's a pretty normal feature in a lot of cases for a lot of things!

Jazz on
  • Options

eltc49ycya4i.jpg

Honestly kernel compiling jokes are about as relevant as Windows 95 and dial-up jokes these days.

I've never done it, don't know how to do it, and have never needed to do it. On like 600 workstations and 200 servers over the past 11 years.

• Options

eltc49ycya4i.jpg

Honestly kernel compiling jokes are about as relevant as Windows 95 and dial-up jokes these days.

I've never done it, don't know how to do it, and have never needed to do it. On like 600 workstations and 200 servers over the past 11 years.

The Apple one is bang-on, though.

This discussion has been closed.