Options

[Tokusatsu] Trademark Season! ZO+J+Shin Preorders! Ultraman Arc 7/26!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    TokuSHOUTsu ran Ultraman Saga on today’s lineup and man that is a fun ass Ultraman movie, and also just really sells what Ultraman’s deal is thematically and emotionally.

Also just real ass “Fake it till you make it in the face of the apocalypse” energy.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Feels reduced from Shin Ultraman? Maybe that one didn't do great so they scaled down (or they expect this one to be SUPER niche).

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Feels reduced from Shin Ultraman? Maybe that one didn't do great so they scaled down (or they expect this one to be SUPER niche).

Shin Ultraman was also sent to die on a limited Fathom release. Unless it's anime, that's the best we can hope for, I guess.

I don't know how they expect these to do good if they keep giving them tiny releases with no marketing... people do watch foreign films! They win Oscars!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Shin Ultraman was also sent to die on a limited Fathom release. Unless it's anime, that's the best we can hope for, I guess.

I don't know how they expect these to do good if they keep giving them tiny releases with no marketing... people do watch foreign films! They win Oscars!

Probably just a raw calculation of what they've made in the past vs how much the license costs to do this. Suzume was a higher profile original release and made $5 million in the US. This won't do that well, but one day still seems shortsighted. Even one weekend would make more sense.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Shin Kamen Rider is also hitting theaters over here much sooner than Shin Ultraman did after its Japan release, if I remember correctly.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Shin Kamen Rider is also hitting theaters over here much sooner than Shin Ultraman did after its Japan release, if I remember correctly.

Yeah; Shin Ultraman was may 13, 2022 in japan, and this January here

This is basically two months later

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m confused by that tweet about getting reminders because haven’t people actually been buying tickets? I know I checked my local theater and it already had seats taken

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm glad you mentioned that because I checked the theater near us that does Fathom stuff and a good portion of the place was already booked. Grabbed some tickets now.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm glad you mentioned that because I checked the theater near us that does Fathom stuff and a good portion of the place was already booked. Grabbed some tickets now.

Yeah it's weird, it seems like if you go to Fathom's site, it says tickets aren't available yet (says they will be available May 4th?).... but if you go to Fandango and find your theater, you can buy a ticket. I already have mine purchased, so hopefully Fathom doesn't make them cancel those orders

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Judge Jessie WJudge Jessie W Registered User regular

Kamen rider has way less penetration here, but also it’s closer to the actual release of the film than Shin Ultraman was

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Kamen rider has way less penetration here, but also it’s closer to the actual release of the film than Shin Ultraman was

Really? We had a show here, a Sega CD game, etc... I figured KR would be way more known.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    There’s been two shows, one of which was absolute trash from the nadir of saban trying recreate power rangers success, and one f that nobody saw because it was at the dying end of Saturday morning tv for kids and still isn’t available on DVD afaik. We didn’t even start getting home media releases until last year? Year before? Ultraman has at least had a couple solid years of BR releases to prove an audience exists

• Options
    Lord HomsarLord Homsar Lord of Hammers Registered User regular
    edited April 2023
    The Ryuki adaptation, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight,wasn't THAT bad, but definitely better than Saban's attempt. (aside from the monotone "Kamen Rider" transformation phrase)

Lord Homsar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    There’s also a slightly longer history of Ultraman in the US; the old Ultraseven dub, Ultraman Towards the Future (technically a co-production with Australian media, but it was released here with VHS releases, a comic miniseries, a fighting game and… not *quite* soft vinyl figures but about a similar scale and possibility level? I could be wrong and maybe they’re sofubi after all, anyhow…), and the aborted Hanah-Barbera coproduction that got a pilot. And… also well Tiga’s 4Kids dub.

So it’s a bit more of a presence compared to rider, and with a few more beloved, if niche, followings among US audiences

It’s also easier for Tsubaraya to get stuff going here, and support it with more releases as a franchise, than Toei has for whatever reason (I’ve heard apparently TV Asahi is part of the problem?)

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    The Ryuki adaptation, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight,wasn't THAT bad, but definitely better than Saban's attempt. (aside from the monotone "Kamen Rider" transformation phrase)

Dragon Knight was good enough stunt-wise to win a daytime Emmy at least.

https://youtu.be/K7nY2Tij_Kg

• Options
    King Ohger new ranger:

Spider Kumonos!

I like that the gun is a giant bug sprayer

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ultraman Regulos’ Self-titled prequel series coming to Ultraman Collection and YouTube on May 23, both subbed and dubbed (sounds like the Ultra Galaxy Fight dub folks, not the Z dub folks)

“I am the Grand Master of the Cosmo Beast Style, Regulos of the Red Dragon-White Tiger Fist!”

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Started watching Kamen Rider Outsiders (which is a continuation of that Presidents special, right?)
    It is fun how they weave seasons and evil corporations together. Ep 0, seeing some Smart Brain, Delta, and Mari Sonada was cool. Arch Orphenoch is pretty rad, wonder if they'll make a SHF? (Probably not)

Ep 1, Asakura/Ouja is always a treat. Kinda silly how THICC Ouja is in this, it's not like Asakura got thicker with age (but I know it's the original suit actor which is cool, still silly looking). Ouja Survive and Snake bike is a nice touch. And some good ol' Foundation X doing evil stuff is always nice to see.

Haven't watched Ep 2 yet, but looking forward to Desast.

Sucks how spread out the releases are though, I wonder how many episodes it's supposed to be in total.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Started watching Kamen Rider Outsiders (which is a continuation of that Presidents special, right?)
    It is fun how they weave seasons and evil corporations together. Ep 0, seeing some Smart Brain, Delta, and Mari Sonada was cool. Arch Orphenoch is pretty rad, wonder if they'll make a SHF? (Probably not)

Ep 1, Asakura/Ouja is always a treat. Kinda silly how THICC Ouja is in this, it's not like Asakura got thicker with age (but I know it's the original suit actor which is cool, still silly looking). Ouja Survive and Snake bike is a nice touch. And some good ol' Foundation X doing evil stuff is always nice to see.

Haven't watched Ep 2 yet, but looking forward to Desast.

Sucks how spread out the releases are though, I wonder how many episodes it's supposed to be in total.
    yeah it’s a continuation of the arc started in the The Presidents specials

Also how Ouja was back with no explanation after he died again in Rider Time Ryuki’s Rider Fight confused me for the longest time until I remembered that Zi-O overall ends with a
    time reset of its own, thus theoretically all the Rider Fight Riders are alive again, since presumably now the incident with Another Ryuki never happened

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I applaud you for even trying to make sense of these wacky crossover shows

I'm just along for the ride and enjoy seeing the interactions

I never did watch Zi-O

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options

I never did watch Zi-O

Zi-O was alright. Had some good moments and both Masahiro Inoue and Kimito Totani returned as Kamen Rider Decade and Diend respectively for significant parts. Just avoid the Decade Vs Zi-O/Zi-O Vs Decade after-series specials cause they were dumb.

hybsgkYh.jpg

Really, really dumb.

• Options
    Never watched Decade either! My brain pressures me to watch all the shows that that are related so I can fully appreciate it, which I haven’t done yet

And yeah Zi-O introduced some hideous suits

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    If you don't know, be aware that with the exception of Den-O, every timeline/reality Decade visits in his series are alternate ones to the actual previous shows which didn't make a lot of folks happy. What if Faiz was in a high-school setting, what if the power-sets and Mirror World of Ryuki were used to resolve criminal trials, etc, etc...

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's always amazing(ly painful) to me how bad they are at designing "all in one" suits. There's some okay takes on the concept, like Build Genius form (could be cleaned up a little, it's very busy), or Blade King Form, but for every okay form there's a Grateful or Complete or whatever form and wow! They're really bad!

Really really really bad!

(I'm dreading the inevitable All cores geats upgrade)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote: »
    If you don't know, be aware that with the exception of Den-O, every timeline/reality Decade visits in his series are alternate ones to the actual previous shows which didn't make a lot of folks happy. What if Faiz was in a high-school setting, what if the power-sets and Mirror World of Ryuki were used to resolve criminal trials, etc, etc...

Yeah I’m aware they’re alt universes
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Kiryu-chan!?

I just can’t get into Den-O

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    It's always amazing(ly painful) to me how bad they are at designing "all in one" suits. There's some okay takes on the concept, like Build Genius form (could be cleaned up a little, it's very busy), or Blade King Form, but for every okay form there's a Grateful or Complete or whatever form and wow! They're really bad!

Really really really bad!

(I'm dreading the inevitable All cores geats upgrade)

I’m guessing, partially by the stuff they got out of the driver and some supposed toy stuff from a while back, it’ll actually be a nine-tailed fox thing from the next Boost upgrade

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Also I feel like the card cape would work if it was like

A cape made of the cards, especially sized up instead of gluing the regular size cards on the bottom half of a magenta vinyl cape

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    New Kamen Rider Geats specials got announced for Geats and PunkJack

Looks like Geats will be teaming up with the first 2022 Rider, Shinobi, for a double (Ninja) Riders TTFC, going up against a new Another Rider, Another Hattari:

Also Five is correct, it looks like the Raise Buckle for the special does give him a recolor of Woz’s Shinobi armor

EDIT: clearer shot of Tycoon in the armor
    vagldua0d4w8.jpeg

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Cool that Shinobi is getting some more life

Always thought it was a shame Aqua never did

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Anyway when I get paid this week I’m ordering tickets for me and my girlfriend so we can go together if she’s off

I never did watch Zi-O

Zi-O was alright. Had some good moments and both Masahiro Inoue and Kimito Totani returned as Kamen Rider Decade and Diend respectively for significant parts. Just avoid the Decade Vs Zi-O/Zi-O Vs Decade after-series specials cause they were dumb.

hybsgkYh.jpg

Really, really dumb.

That’s cool tho

• Options
    edited May 2023
    STANDING BY

https://youtu.be/vx2ZN6YviO0

COMPLETE

sno2qxjminpu.jpeg
    ab7podi1xvxh.jpeg

OPEN YOUR EYES, FOR THE NEXT PHI’S

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Looks like the new form is meant to be an upgrade of sorts for the old Faiz gear which makes sense seeing the pieces were meant to be disguised as common tech back then. I wonder if they'll reference anything from the Gaim and Drive Taisen movies that Faiz was a part of or Outsiders. I hope too that it won't go down the same path as the OOO 10th Anniversary special though I did hear Inoue might be involved so...

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Looks like the new form is meant to be an upgrade of sorts for the old Faiz gear which makes sense seeing the pieces were meant to be disguised as common tech back then. I wonder if they'll reference anything from the Gaim and Drive Taisen movies that Faiz was a part of or Outsiders. I hope too that it won't go down the same path as the OOO 10th Anniversary special though I did hear Inoue might be involved so...

Going by the look of the poster and the title, I think this actually could be Movie continuity instead of TV continuity

Also close up on the new gear; it’s definitely a smartphone now:
    y2diu8oxuv1r.jpeg

Also yeah, Inoue writing, Ryuta Tasaki directing; cast is returning too of course

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Handa presenting the new suit at the event today:

Could be the white balance and/or the stage lighting but feels a lot more grays and silver than the black of the old suit

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Not a fan of how chunky it is, mainly that chest piece, Faiz had such sleek suits

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Only one Rider wins with the power of puppy:

[78mfdw18urf6.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Looks like my continuity guess was wrong, according to Oricon:

https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2277917/full/
    今作は、テレビシリーズ最終話から20年後を描く正統な続編となり、オリジナルキャストが集結。乾巧役の半田健人、ヒロイン・園田真理役の芳賀優里亜、草加雅人役の村上幸平、海堂直也役の唐橋充が出演する。
    This work will be a legitimate sequel that depicts 20 years after the final episode of the TV series, and the original cast gathers. Kento Handa, who plays Takumi Inui, Yuria Haga, who plays Mari Sonoda, the heroine, Kohei Murakami, who plays Masato Soka, and Mitsuru Karahashi, who plays Naoya Kaido, will appear.

Semi-Spoiler for Specials and stuff from the past decade:
    TAKUMI LIVES

waNkm4k.jpg?1