Options

[Tokusatsu] Trademark Season! ZO+J+Shin Preorders! Ultraman Arc 7/26!

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Might explain this tweet
    z5kz42wkbhy1.png

oh dear

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/0S_rHug2l4w

Linkara of Atop The Fourth Wall is following up his latest History Of Power Rangers video (which covered Once & Always and Cosmic Fury) with a third video on Gokaiger.

• Options
    edited February 14
    If anyone wants to see officially subbed Geats, Plex’s live TV schedule notes that TokuShoutsu is going to start running it at 3PM EST

Should be same schedule for their twitch stream and their Pluto channel

https://watch.plex.tv/live-tv/channel/tokushoutsu
    https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/tokushoutsu

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited February 14
    So yep, it is indeed Geats
    https://x.com/tokushoutsu/status/1757857469517447178?s=20

No clue how to imbed it anymore lol

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    BD street date is end of April

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

Also apparently $100 is the correct price though it’s currently cut down to $80 directly from Shout:
    https://shoutfactory.com/collections/new-upcoming-releases-1/products/kamen-rider-geats-the-complete-series

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 14

Also apparently $100 is the correct price though it’s currently cut down to $80 directly from Shout:
    https://shoutfactory.com/collections/new-upcoming-releases-1/products/kamen-rider-geats-the-complete-series

Crunchyroll seems to have it for $89.99 instead of full price too

Miss those RightStuf preorder discounts being… more than that.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    That price is ludicrous. Does it even include the movies? The little interview promos for each episode? Commercials? Any special features at all?

Not sure I would even ever pay that for W.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    That price is ludicrous. Does it even include the movies? The little interview promos for each episode? Commercials? Any special features at all?

Not sure I would even ever pay that for W.

It seems to be just the straight up episodes, from the TV masters (so SHT intros, sponsor bumps after intro and preview, and movie promo spots)

I am guessing this is Toei being, well, Toei.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I would pay that for W if it had all the movies and a bonus or two

Not gonna pay that for Geats though, especially since I just watched it, I’m not going to rewatch it already. Which feels bad because I want to support this stuff being brought over

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 15
    I would pay that for W if it had all the movies and a bonus or two

Not gonna pay that for Geats though, especially since I just watched it, I’m not going to rewatch it already. Which feels bad because I want to support this stuff being brought over

Still cheaper than the Japanese BDs:

vf29e6e8aiud.jpeg

[my currency converter I’m using gives $527, plus change)

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ....What the fuck at that price.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The annoying part is that, just like with Zero One, the episodes are broadcast rips rather than BD masters.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    The annoying part is that, just like with Zero One, the episodes are broadcast rips rather than BD masters.

Encoder says they’re the masters sent to broadcasters, rather than the rips:

Encoder person here. Source files were 1920x1080p 24fps. “Broadcast masters” means the files that are provided to broadcasters, rather than the broadcast itself

Quality of the source ProRes files is identical. Biggest difference is the inclusion of various promos, and the little text blurbs on the sponsor screens. (No actual sponsors, as that’s added by the broadcaster)

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ....What the fuck at that price.

The wonderful world of “we never made a yen on the broadcast, so all our money back comes from merch and home video sales” Japanese home releases

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    That's good to know that they're not rips, better than Zero One.

• Options
    Upgrades coming in next week in Kamen Rider Gotchard.
    80KB65r.jpg
    g4nqEsq.jpg

• Options
    New trailer for Boomboonger gives us a look at the characters in the helmets.

• Options
    I was not prepared to hit the Carranger episode of our Gokaiger rewatch tonight.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I was not prepared to hit the Carranger episode of our Gokaiger rewatch tonight.

nuhpfli7bl74.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
  • Options
    I love how oyu can kind of tell the Turbo production staff have almost no idea what to do with Carrange’s complete and utter disregard for pretense and serious drama and somehow still preserve the more serious tone they wanted following Zeo.

“JUST KEEP THE SERIOUS GUITAR RIFFS GOING. THIS IS DANGER, NOT A LIVE ACTION GAG MANGA”

Also, interesting distinction between mid 90s view of cops in America and Japan between the adapted Blue Senturion and original Signalman, with Blue as this stoic and by the book type, while Signalman’s by the book nature is fodder for pointing out how in over his head he is in dealing with Bowzock and how he categorically does not understand the culture around him.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Man, King-Ohger 49. Wow.
    6w0vpt8mi1mz.jpg

• Options
    New form in Gotchard:
    Platinum, which uses both the upgraded Liner and Hopper Chemies:
    z3x52ema6ai2.jpeg
    wbq0jfaypq46.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/bAn3Efn_UFw

The trailer for Geats Extra: Kamen Rider Gazer's out.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Any of y'all watched Gunhed? Wikipedia says it's a Tokusatsu but I'm not sure why lol. Kotobukiya made a model kit of the titular tank a few years back (which I finally bought after watching the movie!) so I'd been curious about it for a while. It's cool as hell. Bilingual Japanese n' English action sci fi from 1989. Some of the coolest sets I've ever seen. They blatantly steal shit like sound effects from Aliens and Terminator. The mcguffin is a rare material named Texmexium and the tank runs out of fuel and gets topped up with whiskey at one point. 10/10.

It's not available to stream anywhere as far as I can tell, but it is up on the Internet Archive.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited February 25
    Any of y'all watched Gunhed? Wikipedia says it's a Tokusatsu but I'm not sure why lol. Kotobukiya made a model kit of the titular tank a few years back (which I finally bought after watching the movie!) so I'd been curious about it for a while. It's cool as hell. Bilingual Japanese n' English action sci fi from 1989. Some of the coolest sets I've ever seen. They blatantly steal shit like sound effects from Aliens and Terminator. The mcguffin is a rare material named Texmexium and the tank runs out of fuel and gets topped up with whiskey at one point. 10/10.

It's not available to stream anywhere as far as I can tell, but it is up on the Internet Archive.

It’s so good, and I’d say its definitely Toku, just not Henshin hero or Kaiju

Seconding that if you can get ahold of it somehow, definitely go watch it. There’s also a manga version by Kia Asamiya but the only translation I know of is what seems to be an English second language translation that’s pretty rough.

ALSO Yeah, I really really would love if more movies adopted that multilingual aspect; it blends them so well and you actually do feel like “oh yeah, these characters do just speak to each other in their most comfortable language, and understand each other just fine.”

Also, Pepsi Vending Robot

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/-qai5BtJm2w

First proper trailer for KingOhger's Vs movies are up.

• Options
    Looks like for the Don Vs, they’re gonna be going back to
    Hakabaka/The Land of the Dead?

Seems to be doing some Isekai tropes and I wonder if that’s also how they get Sonoi back?

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Looks like for the Don Vs, they’re gonna be going back to
    Hakabaka/The Land of the Dead?

Seems to be doing some Isekai tropes and I wonder if that’s also how they get Sonoi back?

Pretty much according to a translated small summary...
    ...at least in regards to the location. The conflict comes about because both teams are clueless on how they got there and begin squabbling over which side is responsible for their predicament.

• Options
    I'm into the final arc of Geats
    and Keiwa's heel turn fucking sucks. I hate this! Have him at least act a little conflicted and upset about things. He's gone stone cold sociopath, even worse than when Buffa was acting like a ruthless god king. Hoping it turns out he's being mind controlled by Kekera or something. :I

Also what's up with this new Jamato guy with the colorful lines on his face? I do not recall how / when he was introduced! Did he just come with Geats' new world?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    and Keiwa's heel turn fucking sucks. I hate this! Have him at least act a little conflicted and upset about things. He's gone stone cold sociopath, even worse than when Buffa was acting like a ruthless god king. Hoping it turns out he's being mind controlled by Kekera or something. :I

Also what's up with this new Jamato guy with the colorful lines on his face? I do not recall how / when he was introduced! Did he just come with Geats' new world?
    It's Daichi. He just isn't wearing his glasses.

• Options
    McHoger wrote: »

Oh shit, he Clark Kent'd me! D:
    now I remember - he found the Gardener's lair, grew a new kinda Jamato and ate it, right?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    McHoger wrote: »

Oh shit, he Clark Kent'd me! D:
    now I remember - he found the Gardener's lair, grew a new kinda Jamato and ate it, right?
    Yeah. I didn't recognize him when he first showed up either.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Toku thread, I recently remembered a toy that I had growing up that was almost certainly a toku toy that was imported and sold under some generic label. It was fairly large, probably an 8 inch action figure type, and it was black and white, with these articulated circular shoulder armor pieces that had "police" printed on it. There might have been police lights a la Patlabor. He also had a somewhat futuristic take on a police revolver. Seems like it was probably a less popular toku show, not too far off from something like Metal Heroes. Anyone recognize any of this?

• Options
    Oh shit Paradise Regained

Wait I’m still in the first quarter of my “finally watch Faiz start to finish” run

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    demonfalldowndemonfalldown Registered User regular
    Toku thread, I recently remembered a toy that I had growing up that was almost certainly a toku toy that was imported and sold under some generic label. It was fairly large, probably an 8 inch action figure type, and it was black and white, with these articulated circular shoulder armor pieces that had "police" printed on it. There might have been police lights a la Patlabor. He also had a somewhat futuristic take on a police revolver. Seems like it was probably a less popular toku show, not too far off from something like Metal Heroes. Anyone recognize any of this?
    You might be talking about the Power Force toy line, Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop is the original name in Japan.

• Options
    Btw y’all Sharivan is out:

w8qlnliszdfd.jpeg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You might be talking about the Power Force toy line, Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop is the original name in Japan.

Yep, it's this! Thanks!

• Options
    I for real JUST finished watching Sharivan