Options

Guffawedcast Thread [Podcast Thread]

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    Tonight's moment of "Jesus Christ I need more sleep": I saw that the latest Oh These Those Stars of Space was titled "The Planet with No Chocolate." So startled and alarmed was I by the idea of a planet without chocolate that I earnestly -- earnestly -- gasped and said "Oh no!"

Never go to Mars.

Or really any other planet in our solar system.

Or probably 99.9999999999999% of planets in the universe.

...I'm sorry, i can't help it, I got bitten by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Mars is the only other planet guaranteed to have chocolate though

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Looks like the studio Austin Walker was working at laid everyone off

The CEO's having a normal one and blaming all the workers and like a Kotaku article? They were unionized too! This sucks so much to have happen at this point in the employment market.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Shiiiiiiiit

Poor Austin, I remember he was so excited when he announced he was leaving Waypoint for that studio

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Chall wrote: »
    Tonight's moment of "Jesus Christ I need more sleep": I saw that the latest Oh These Those Stars of Space was titled "The Planet with No Chocolate." So startled and alarmed was I by the idea of a planet without chocolate that I earnestly -- earnestly -- gasped and said "Oh no!"

Never go to Mars.

Or really any other planet in our solar system.

Or probably 99.9999999999999% of planets in the universe.

...I'm sorry, i can't help it, I got bitten by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Mars is the only other planet guaranteed to have chocolate though

You'll find brownies in Uranus.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Austin Walker is generally speaking in an ongoing and open fight with capitalism.

It was only ever going to be a tragedy but I love him for fighting the good fight.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    everything sucks, like games as an industry sucks right now but also just everything everything sucks

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wonder what kind of article would move the CEO to dissolve the entire studio before the article even sees publication.

Probably nothing that would reflect badly on him, surely. Not like he hadn't shuttered another entire studio last month or anything.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah the fact he's both drop of a hat dissolving the studio and claims to be going into sudden retirement himself sure sounds fishy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    He still has two more studios.

He just stated a couple in like August.

• Options
    edited April 12
    he implies at the end of his "you're all fired" letter that he's retiring to spend more time with his family
    e: oh it was posted in another thread, lemme find it and repost it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    here, from the games thread:
    Lanz wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    FRADBEk.jpg

J3C3MZO.png

I1RZ2tW.jpg

ahhhh shit

That's some hot bullshit.
    Brolo wrote: »
    KyUxIAp.jpg
    text
    The former CEO of Prytania Media, Annie Delisi Strain, has said that the project Crop Circle Games was working on could not attract investment.

In a post on the studio's now-offline site – spotted by GI.biz – the ex boss said that the developer had a load of talented staff and had received "kind words" from potential partners, Crop Circle's title was seemingly not what the industry wanted now.

"The Crop Circle team was incredibly likable, their chemistry and enthusiasm for each other absolutely delightful, and the game had a whimsy and playfulness that was hard not to root for. I loved this team and the game beyond measure," Strain wrote.

"In the end, despite the kind words of everyone we pitched to for two solid years, the game did not have core features that have emerged as requirements to be competitive in today’s hyper-aggressive market. I know it’s painful for all us who love the game and this extraordinary team to acknowledge, but the game was just fundamentally out of touch with emerging player tastes and not aligned with the portfolio strategies of any publishers or investors. As a result, in contrast to our other studios, there was not a single organisation of any kind willing to invest in continued game development."

https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/74399/ex-prytania-boss-explains-crop-circle-closure/

ZBPjbkn.jpg
    text
    Established in 2021 around an experienced team of game industry veterans, Possibility Space is bringing the freedom and fun of roleplaying with your friends to video game players everywhere. We are built from the ground up as a distributed studio, allowing developers to live and work where they are happiest. With robust development operations and financial support from Prytania Media, we empower developers to fully immerse themselves in the joy of creation.
    https://possibility.co/

seems like pyrtania media is hemorrhaging money and abandoning studios/projects

https://www.reddit.com/r/WaypointVICE/comments/1c042sn/weird_stuff_at_prytania_media_parent_of_austins/

In a bizarre studio closure and layoff message to staff, Possibility Space owner Jeff Strain blamed the studio closure on employees leaking information to the press.

o8xj9176n4dn.png
    pgn7mtss0zxa.png
    a6mgb03dauvc.png

“Welp an investigative reporter contacted me asking questions a reporter would find out by doing investigative reporting work, time to close up shop.”

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Everybody ready for Penguin Baseball season?

hznyvglmy265.jpeg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    oh my god, I need that Chicago COOL BIRDS shirt

• Options
    oh my god, I need that Chicago COOL BIRDS shirt

Not that you need more convincing, but look closely at the hat

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 13
    I legitimately think the Gorilla Flow commercial is a brick in the wall of understanding modern masculinity. The sheer violent disgust leveraged toward selling a solution to mild bladder issues.

It's a commercial for piss pills where the pitch-man brags about how he was ready to kill himself and his father and how he fights with his wife every night

Also really what I want is a Buried Treasure podcast. I want to hear people tell me about games I've never heard of and why they're interesting. Too many of them just cover relatively popular stuff which I don't need.

Not really a podcast but you should check out Sean Seanson's Obscure and Forgotten PS1 Games and Japan Only PS1 Games videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N6QcwDR28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-US21R8xLnc

All hail the glorious and infallible wheel, for the wheel will provide.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    proxy_hueproxy_hue Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    For those of you who enjoy horror or new weird fiction, The Silt Verses goes pretty hard. I've really been enjoying it.

Thank you for this- I haven't listened to all of it but I've just burned through the first season and I'm a few episodes into the second now. What an incredible show. Really glad you shouted this one out.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    proxy_hue wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »
    For those of you who enjoy horror or new weird fiction, The Silt Verses goes pretty hard. I've really been enjoying it.

Thank you for this- I haven't listened to all of it but I've just burned through the first season and I'm a few episodes into the second now. What an incredible show. Really glad you shouted this one out.

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Thanks for saying so.

I discovered it from someone shouting it out on the Friends at the Table discord.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The latest Rude Tales is somewhat astonishingly relevant to the ongoing forum flare-up

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The latest Rude Tales is somewhat astonishingly relevant to the ongoing forum flare-up

Cool I'm only like 80 episodes behind

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Season 2 is episodic and disconnected from Season 1, you could probably jump right in

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    I have been very invested in the ongoing story from the Rude Tales ads for bedsheets. I hope this sponsor keeps going for a long time.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    hey, android folks
    Google shut down Google Podcasts and now made me switch to YouTube Music to listen to podcasts. I use YTM for music, but it's annoying for podcasts because it's buried in a menu and it gets rid of the music I was listening to when I start listening to a pod
    What's the podcast player of choice on the Play Store? $5 or less if possible

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    I just checked and I have 29 episodes left of Rude Tales season 1. I just somehow completely forget it exists for weeks until someone mentions it here, I listen to 3 or 4 episodes, rinse and repeat.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Season 2 is episodic and disconnected from Season 1, you could probably jump right in

The episodic structure probably suits them better and makes it easier for them to have guests, which has been fun, but I do gotta admit i kinda miss having a long term story

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    hey, android folks
    Google shut down Google Podcasts and now made me switch to YouTube Music to listen to podcasts. I use YTM for music, but it's annoying for podcasts because it's buried in a menu and it gets rid of the music I was listening to when I start listening to a pod

PocketCasts is always my answer, but I'm wary about what it's like to recommend them to a new user nowadays since they started with the subscription and got bought out. Paying the fee lets you listen on the web and sync listening positions with the phone app so if you're only listening on one device then it's not really necessary. I subscribed back when it was "pay once" so have a lifetime pass and don't worry about it.

It's got the best interface I've used for a podcast app and has nice "auto download and add to playlist" functionality so you don't ever have to manually queue anything up.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    hey, android folks

I switched over to PocketCasts, which has a paid version, but the free one has everything I need.

• Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    edited April 17
    +1 for PocketCasts

Never had an issue with the free version or needed anything from the paid one

Quantum Tiger on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pocket casts is pretty good

Spotify is ok, if you can stomach all the shit they do as a company

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

I have surrendered myself to Spotify it's just... it's just so convenient, pretty much all music is on there!

I used Podcast Addict until I decided to ditch it and just use Spotify. the thing about Spotify is that it doesn't like, automatically resume playing the latest episode, you gotta scroll and find it and start it, which is mildly annoying

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I have been very invested in the ongoing story from the Rude Tales ads for bedsheets. I hope this sponsor keeps going for a long time.

It is incredible how the narrative of the bed sheet ads keeps getting more and more insane.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    hey, android folks

I use Podcast Republic. The ads are shockingly low impact on the free tier, plus the interface is nice

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

I have surrendered myself to Spotify it's just... it's just so convenient, pretty much all music is on there!

I used Podcast Addict until I decided to ditch it and just use Spotify. the thing about Spotify is that it doesn't like, automatically resume playing the latest episode, you gotta scroll and find it and start it, which is mildly annoying

Same here, nothing else quite works as well as Spotify for me. It’s suggested smaller bands and artists to me who I absolutely love, that I’d never have found otherwise.

I try and mitigate by purchasing tracks directly from artists I dig, but now that band camps whole thing is being fucked by venture capitalists I’m not sure of the best way to even do that. Shit sucks

• Options

It is incredible how the narrative of the bed sheet ads keeps getting more and more insane.

And it started with a man lost for days in a giant corn maze

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Picked up Rude Tales where I left off, and it was an episode where all the crew had swapped bodies. Not at all a confusing way to get back into it.

• Options
    Picked up Rude Tales where I left off, and it was an episode where all the crew had swapped bodies. Not at all a confusing way to get back into it.

Oh God that one was insane even if you were streaming on release. The game mechanic they used made it worse, something about switching the characters around between the players?

I think eventually I gave up trying to remember who was playing who and just nodded along until a fight happened

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

And it started with a man lost for days in a giant corn maze

Makes sense to start with some kind of universal experience to get people on board

• Options

Oh God that one was insane even if you were streaming on release. The game mechanic they used made it worse, something about switching the characters around between the players?

I think eventually I gave up trying to remember who was playing who and just nodded along until a fight happened

Yeah I think they all just swapped their character sheets to the left. I thought they all did a good job impersonating each other. It's almost like they're professional improv comedians.

It makes me wonder how much prep they do for some of this stuff. Like does Brandon give them a heads up about things that will happen, or is there a ton of faffing about edited out while they figure out how things work.

And at the end of the episode when Ally(I think? Cordelia's player, I'm really bad with everyone's names), who is playing Cordelia trapped in Albie, manages to undo the curse. That must have been pre-planned with Brandon, I assume?

• Options
    edited April 17
    I dunno! Often it seems like branson is just really good at seeing an opportunity for a resolution and seizing on it like it was planned all along

tynic on
  • Options
    Branson. FFS. I said I was bad with names.