As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ICON] Game Start! - The Ruined Tower

1303132333436»

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Do we want to camp here before leaving? Just in case we run into anything else on the way out

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I'd prefer to camp just because of how beat up Zin is (2 wounds), but I also can see narratively how the group could decide to just leave, so I'm fine with that as well

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Gwyn responds with a weak voice. "I think... I think I'm OK. It couldn't touch the metal bars, I think, so I haven't been able to sneak out... I was just looking for anything valuable, that trader said we could make some Dust and I thought it would help everyone out..."

He starts to slowly crawl out of the cage. "I snuck in through one of the holes in the wall, not the doors. I was looking around and then some huge monsters showed up! So I ran down here, but then there was... that. And I've been here since..."

Sounds like the kid can travel. Let's retrace our steps and get out of this tower rather than keep poking around. Even if we were in any condition to seek out another fight, I'd rather not do it with the kid in tow.

Oh and Risk/Reward to flirt with Hela on the way out? :)

Weak and Desperate. You're likely to get shot down harshly, and she's a loyal officer on a mission.

But by all means go for it!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    "Well okay," Cidryn chuckles, shaking his head, " probably doesn't matter how you got here so long as we get you back to your pa."

".. but, sorry, which trader said you could earn some dust? That sounds a tad mean, sending others down here to fight for them.."

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Gwyn responds with a weak voice. "I think... I think I'm OK. It couldn't touch the metal bars, I think, so I haven't been able to sneak out... I was just looking for anything valuable, that trader said we could make some Dust and I thought it would help everyone out..."

He starts to slowly crawl out of the cage. "I snuck in through one of the holes in the wall, not the doors. I was looking around and then some huge monsters showed up! So I ran down here, but then there was... that. And I've been here since..."

Sounds like the kid can travel. Let's retrace our steps and get out of this tower rather than keep poking around. Even if we were in any condition to seek out another fight, I'd rather not do it with the kid in tow.

Oh and Risk/Reward to flirt with Hela on the way out? :)

Weak and Desperate. You're likely to get shot down harshly, and she's a loyal officer on a mission.

But by all means go for it!

Weak and Desperate sounds like better odds than Rohan is used to!

Spend Effort on this one for all it matters (Effort 1/3) and tempt fate with GM's permission. "As Rohan is about to open his mouth, he gets a feeling of familiarity, like he's seen Hela before. Maybe that time he was caught in the middle of when Bill Gruff the Kidd and the Copperpot gang robbed the Walking Train. There was a lot of smoke between him and the imperials guarding the payroll but Hela looks about the same build as the imperial officer back then. Still that was a long way to the west, what are the odds it could be the same lady?"

Geth roll 2d6k1 for Charm

Metawise, I'd like to wrap up this campaign before the forums swap over for the holiday. Let's make our way back and finish this adventure off rather than drag things out.

Charm:
    2d6k1 5 [2d6k1=[5], 1]

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    Yeah, okay, let's head back up then.

I'm going to be going overseas at the start of next week, so not sure I'll be available at all after that until after the first week in Jan.

• Options
    I get back in the country next week and then we can finish this off! :smile:

Steam profile
  • Options
    which country though.. I get back Mondayish

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    which country though.. I get back Mondayish

Japan. We technically get back tomorrow but I'm unlikely to be in a condition to update this or do anything productive lol

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm still thinking we should camp before heading back up.. I don't like our chances of getting out without being ambushed.

• Options
    "Well okay," Cidryn chuckles, shaking his head, " probably doesn't matter how you got here so long as we get you back to your pa."

".. but, sorry, which trader said you could earn some dust? That sounds a tad mean, sending others down here to fight for them.."

"She's from out of town. She said her name was Quell? I've never seen her before.... I don't know, I don't think any of us expected what was down here..."

Would you like to camp here? Or find another place?

@Korror Tempt Fate needs to include a consequence to get the extra dice. It sounds like I could maybe interpret some consequences based on the "she may recognize you" scenario you proposed, but did you have something more clear in mind? You get to pick what you want, as long as it's a real consequence! :smiley:

Steam profile
  • Options

"She's from out of town. She said her name was Quell? I've never seen her before.... I don't know, I don't think any of us expected what was down here..."

Would you like to camp here? Or find another place?

@Korror Tempt Fate needs to include a consequence to get the extra dice. It sounds like I could maybe interpret some consequences based on the "she may recognize you" scenario you proposed, but did you have something more clear in mind? You get to pick what you want, as long as it's a real consequence! :smiley:

I was thinking that she would recognize Rohan and think that he is a criminal wanted by Imperial law. What she does with that information is up to her (and the GM)

• Options
    "Quell?", Cidryn thinks for a bit before shaking his head, "I'm not sure I've met them. I'll have to have a word though if we see them some time."

Cidryn untenses a bit, as everyone seems mostly okay.
    "We should probably rest here. No shortage of light or warmth now.."

He starts to wander over to Hela.. but it looks like Rohan is checking on her already.
    Must've been some tough armour to get her back up after the scene in the room before.
    And she took the gem so..

Cidryn wants to Study the altar to try and figure out what the purpose of the gem was.
    Not sure if that will be 2d.
    Or whether Cidryn could aim to figure out how the Wretch broke its bindings, as Cidryn presumes the gem assisted with binding it, which would likely be 3d with A Better Way.

• Options
    As Rohan attempts to bond with the Imperial Captain Hela, her eyes narrow. This distinctive silhouette, and the one-of-a-kind fighting style... Rohan sees sudden recognition in her eyes. "You... I've seen you before." She takes a wary step back, hand flexing like she wants to draw a weapon. "What is your name, how are you known by?"

Probably no more rolling for this, as that's more D&D style, but we can play it out a bit before we get to the ultimate conclusion. You got a 5 for this whole interaction/attempt, so you will succeed with some consequences (keeping in mind it's Weak Effect).
    "Quell?", Cidryn thinks for a bit before shaking his head, "I'm not sure I've met them. I'll have to have a word though if we see them some time."

Cidryn untenses a bit, as everyone seems mostly okay.
    "We should probably rest here. No shortage of light or warmth now.."

He starts to wander over to Hela.. but it looks like Rohan is checking on her already.
    Must've been some tough armour to get her back up after the scene in the room before.
    And she took the gem so..

Cidryn wants to Study the altar to try and figure out what the purpose of the gem was.
    Not sure if that will be 2d.
    Or whether Cidryn could aim to figure out how the Wretch broke its bindings, as Cidryn presumes the gem assisted with binding it, which would likely be 3d with A Better Way.

A Better Way would probably work on that, yeah, if you wanted. Fortune roll, as the threat is gone here. Normal Effect.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah okay, let's go with 3d to see if we can figure how the Wretch broke it's bindings.
    So that we can hopefully do the opposite on any other demons.
    Cidryn is hoping to put the ruins back in the ground or otherwise safe somehow, although he's not sure he can accomplish that at this point, and whether what worked on one Wretch is translatable to an entire tower, I don't know.

Geth roll 3d6k1 for Study

Study:
    3d6k1 5 [3d6k1=[5], 5, 2]

• Options
    Yeah okay, let's go with 3d to see if we can figure how the Wretch broke it's bindings.
    So that we can hopefully do the opposite on any other demons.
    Cidryn is hoping to put the ruins back in the ground or otherwise safe somehow, although he's not sure he can accomplish that at this point, and whether what worked on one Wretch is translatable to an entire tower, I don't know.

Geth roll 3d6k1 for Study

You look at the altar and surroundings. As you were able to see initially, the Wretch was originally chained here. The chains around it were connected to pitons that were set into the floor around it, leaving the Wretch with limited movement only on the central altar. You think to what Gwyn said about the Wretch... it seemingly was repelled from the metal bars in the alcoves around the room. The metal of the chains and pitons seem to be the same material. The metals are engraved with tiny symbols, and the actual metal itself isn't something you recognize. You're not sure if the metal has intrinsic powers itself, or if it has been modified by Arkentech, but it had some strange power over the demonic Wretch. The Wretch couldn't have released itself.

Looking at where the pitons were set, there are cracks and deformations in the ground there (and throughout the room). It's likely that when the ruin emerged, it shook the pitons free. What good luck kept the Wretch here in this room for days, though...? It's not immediately obvious...

Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah..
    I think Cidryn's going to have a go at scavenging some of this chain then.
    Maybe give it to Rohan? Astral chain might benefit from it, surely.
    Well, he doesn't know whether the chain will be useful, so he's grabbing some.

As for camping, looks like it heals up to your current max HP, resets strain and effort, and resets our group limit break level.
    And gives us an opportunity to use any accrued XP.
    I'm hoping that if we're just climbing straight back out, we won't have to worry too much about wounds or such, before we get back to town.

• Options
    Yeah..
    I think Cidryn's going to have a go at scavenging some of this chain then.
    Maybe give it to Rohan? Astral chain might benefit from it, surely.
    Well, he doesn't know whether the chain will be useful, so he's grabbing some.

As for camping, looks like it heals up to your current max HP, resets strain and effort, and resets our group limit break level.
    And gives us an opportunity to use any accrued XP.
    I'm hoping that if we're just climbing straight back out, we won't have to worry too much about wounds or such, before we get back to town.

So Rohan is still in an interaction with Hela, but beyond that is the decision to camp, or no? Not sure I fully understand what your conclusion is here. :smile:

Steam profile
  • Options
    Cidryn is still thinking we should camp, but I was laying out the specifics so we could get an opinion from @Korror and @AustinP0027
    .. I had thought there were four of us though, and I should've just tagged people

• Options
    Ah, sorry missed that action was still waiting on me. I'll get a post up soon.

• Options
    Sorry, I hit agree up above, so I'm in favor of camping. Will RP it out then...

Zin walks over towards Cid who seems to be inspecting the shrine in the middle. Breathing heavily, he leans against it a little, speaking with a lowered voice.

"I think we might need to rest here a bit before finding our way back above. I don't feel great about running into those Mercenaries in our current state, and the threat of the Imperials is probably not going to do anything if it's just Hela."

• Options
    "I don't recollect meeting yourself, so you got the advantage on me there ma'am. I'm just a cowpoke drifting in from the High Plains on the trail of an outlaw who done me wrong. They call me Rohan hereabouts when they name me at all."

Rohan sees Cidryn and Zin looking like they're fixing to set up camp.

"Woah there, I don't like squatting here like a parcel of greenhorns with the backdoor trots. I'm voting for making tracks like the devil's chasin' us but if you two want to post up here, I'll abide for a while. Could do with some grub even if this place gives me the heebies."

• Options
    "Yeah, that's a fair point", Cidryn agrees, before hammering a piton into the far entrance.
    "Don't want any demons getting the jump on us"

Geth roll 3d6k1 for Tinkering this chain into a tangle trap across the unexplored entrance

Tinkering this chain into a tangle trap across the unexplored entrance:
    3d6k1 3 [3d6k1=[3], 3, 1]

• Options
    Zin turns as Rohan approaches. "Yes, staying here makes me uneasy as well, but I worry about the group we ran into above. They may not like that we look to be leaving and certainly are likely not to believe that we're leaving empty handed."

Zin looks around the room again, "So, we should take percautions, but I think it's best we're at full strength before we climb back up."

• Options
    It looks like there's now a chain hanging across the far door, but whether it will stay there if a stiff breeze comes through, I couldn't say.

• Options
    edited February 1
    With the unnatural gloom somewhat faded and the four braziers easily lit, you can see that the far entrance seems to just be an entrance to a circular room. Right by the entrance, you can feel a steady thumping sound coming from the ceiling. There's nothing there. It sounds like footfalls, perhaps, but from some incredibly large or heavy creature. A bit of dust dislodges from the ceiling with each reverberation.

There seems to be no other way in or out of the room. So... it's likely your trap won't have to be tested at all...
    "I don't recollect meeting yourself, so you got the advantage on me there ma'am. I'm just a cowpoke drifting in from the High Plains on the trail of an outlaw who done me wrong. They call me Rohan hereabouts when they name me at all."

She responds hesitantly, warily. "I'll... accept your word on this, Rohan, in deference to your heroism this day. Your fighting was very impressive. We could use someone of your skills in the Imperial army."

You've won her appreciation, for now. But you're on thin ice! Anything that makes her connect you more with the mysterious lawbreaker, and she may decide her impression was correct and you are an outlaw!

If there's anything else you'd like to do, go for it. Otherwise, commence Camping! It only takes a couple hours to gain the full Camp benefits here in the Tower. You are, for the duration of the Camp, safe.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Apologies for not keeping up with this game. I don't really have anything I want to do in camping but I'll need to look up the rules for camping to see exactly what we get out of it. I figure we'll camp and then head back up.

• Options
    Yeah. I'm not sure if we're waiting on Cidryn to do a Sense on the thumping?
    In any case, Cidryn is pretty much waiting for the camp session to be over.

May as well spend effort on the Sense, given the camp
    Geth roll 2d6 for Sense on the thumping.

Sense:
    2d6 8 [2d6=4, 4]

• Options
    Alright it's pretty obvious that we are sort of trailing off on this game. It's been great and I've enjoyed playing this system. I wish I could convince my group to play it in person but I think this kind of tactical combat might be too complex for them as much as I love it. How about we all go to the interlude section, each do an RP post where we describe our character coming back to town and call it a game?