Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Honestly some of the best eating I every had was my two trips to England.

I don't remember much of the trips other than the food.

London?

First trip was Glasgow, Edinburgh, Loch Ness, Liverpool, London. Core memories of that trip were the little pub we ended up in in the Highlands because mum read the map incorrectly and instead of it only supposed to be taking an hour to get to loch Ness, we went all along the West Coast. Second is after we got to London and were renting a little flat for the week, Dad and I went out one morning, I grabbed a chicken pasty of some sort from a random street vendor and then dad and I caught the tube and went to Westminster Cathedral. I was maybe 13?

Oh oh oh and the salmon farm that we randomly found in the way south, where we stopped and grabbed some freshly smoked salmon and the most amazing tangy farm cheese.

Second trip was with university, I was 18, and we stayed in this bed and breakfast in Salisbury. The most amazing full breakfasts, and the best oatmeal I think I've ever had. Like full on proper scotch oats that were slow cooked on the fire over night, but still has bite to them, fresh cream, etc.

Had some amazing lunches as well, usually made up from things that we got at local markets as we traveled the Southeast of England looking at ancient barrows and giant chalk horses. An apple the size of a small pumpkin, pushed with local smoked beef sausage and another local cheddar. Big loaf of fresh bread. That was an amazing lunch sitting amongst the standing stones at Avesbury.

Just really really memorable meals and food and people.

Over 2 decades ago, so still fresh in mind.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    V1m wrote: »
    But most British foods are not easy to make really well, or rather: far tooeasy to make badly, and unforgiving of poor quality ingredients.

I occasionally wonder if Ed Miliband's (edit: one l, not two) sandwich was one of these very-bad ones, or if he genuinely couldn't eat sandwiches. (context)

Ed_Miliband_bacon_sandwich.jpg

djmitchella on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Meat pies are one of those things that like... the entire concept is not a common thing in American cuisine but it feels like should be. Except chicken pot pie, that feels like the one example that made it through the filter and I have no idea why.

Stromboli was invented in Philadelphia, the chimichanga in arizona, and the Hot Pocket in Colorado

Pepperoni rolls come from west Virginia! I forgot that one.

Corn dogs are American, too!

One of the places that claims to have originally invented the corn dog is on the Oregon coast, which is funny to me.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I feel like if someone opened up a meat pie shop anywhere in Oklahoma City they would have a line through the door at all times, it's just baffling it hasn't happened yet. We love meat in carbs, its a cornerstone of our identity as a people.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I can only ever find meat pies at Scottish Games festivals

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The local Asian imports supermarket carries these frozen Jamaican meat pies that are, for lack of a better word, laserdelicious.

They are delicious, but they also shoot lasers in your mouth that burns, but it burns real good.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hot soup on a cold day does wonders for my mood.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The local Asian imports supermarket carries these frozen Jamaican meat pies that are, for lack of a better word, laserdelicious.

They are delicious, but they also shoot lasers in your mouth that burns, but it burns real good.

The restaurant inside the Asian supermarket in KC makes a hundred different pastries filled with everything. The best one is the beef curry puff pastry.

I'm not a Costco guy, but I know people are always talking about their cheap hot dogs and, well,

bakery11.jpg

I know what I'm choosing

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That's just toad-in-the-hole, innit?

(not sorry)

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Those are teenie weenies

• Options

(not sorry)

I dunno. I've never had frog before

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I do not like the way the weiner tips are poking out

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've never made a homemade pizza but I've had a terrible idea.

1. Pizza crust
    2. Tomatilla sauce
    3. Queso fresco
    4. Crumbled chorizo Al Pastor
    5. Diced onions
    6. Cilantro
    7. Squeeze of lime
    8. Roasted/Charred corn

Mexican street taco pizza

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited January 2023

(not sorry)

where I'm from we call them wiener wraps

toad-in-the-hole is an egg cooked over easy in a piece of toast with a hole in it

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options

(not sorry)

toad-in-the-hole is an egg cooked over easy in a piece of toast with a hole in it

Wait, that's not a pig in a blanket?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

(not sorry)

Where do you see cops in that picture?

/s

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    They're pigs-in-a-blanket here.

And an egg inside a hole in toast is chicken in a basket.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Meat pies are one of those things that like... the entire concept is not a common thing in American cuisine but it feels like should be. Except chicken pot pie, that feels like the one example that made it through the filter and I have no idea why.

Stromboli was invented in Philadelphia, the chimichanga in arizona, and the Hot Pocket in Colorado

None of those feel like meat pies proper but I'm failing to come up with any distinction beyond maybe being cooked in a pie plate

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

None of those feel like meat pies proper but I'm failing to come up with any distinction beyond maybe being cooked in a pie plate

If you're going to exclude single-serving "hand pies", that's... a lot. Possibly the most common form factor.

• Options
    My hot pockets!

• Options
    I feel like pie crust is a distinctive enough pastry to disqualify all those. It does mean that casserole-style biscuit-topped chicken pot pie doesn't count as a meat pie, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I've never made a homemade pizza but I've had a terrible idea.

1. Pizza crust
    2. Tomatilla sauce
    3. Queso fresco
    4. Crumbled chorizo Al Pastor
    5. Diced onions
    6. Cilantro
    7. Squeeze of lime
    8. Roasted/Charred corn

Mexican street taco pizza

Now this is a pizza that could use some pineapple.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hot pocket weeks likely be the closest to what I'm thinking of as a meat pie.

The pastry is key.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    You and I eat the same is a very interesting book about people and food and our shared humanity

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Hot pocket weeks likely be the closest to what I'm thinking of as a meat pie.

The pastry is key.

AqvE35n_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    You and I eat the same is a very interesting book about people and food and our shared humanity

Oooh, neat! Looks like it's available on Hoopla. To Read'd.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I fuckin love hot pockets, but specifically the knockoff Sam's Club brand not pockets. I dunno why but the crust feels faker and that compliments the molten trash goop inside better than "actual" "ingredients"

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love the deep dish Pepperoni $5 box.

(not sorry)

Pigs in a blanket around here is pork sausage in a pancake.

Weiner roll up is a hot dog in a croissant, cheese optional.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I wish more:

Pastry - don't care what type
    filling - savory, meat and veg, anything but sweet
    able to hold while eating

were more available to me in freakin Florida.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Yours honestly makes more sense. Ours isn't a blanket so much as a bready carapace.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    At my high school they were called bagel dogs. And they were the best thing to get for lunch on the menu.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible the idea of a meat pie in my brain was never accurate to begin with

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I do not like the way the weiner tips are poking out

Bot pies?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yours honestly makes more sense. Ours isn't a blanket so much as a bready carapace.

Pigs in blankets here is sausages wrapped in bacon.

Traditionally part of Christmas dinner. Though yesterday we had bangers n mash and my nephew asked if we could have pigs in blankets instead of regular sausages and turns out my nephew is a genius.

• Options
    At my high school they were called bagel dogs. And they were the best thing to get for lunch on the menu.

https://youtu.be/6gV_It6RGxY

• Options

The first time I had Korean bbq, I was pretty annoyed that America didn't invent the "table with a grill in the middle and a large plate of raw meat" dinner experience

But then I had bulgogi and I guess the Koreans did alright

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I feel like pie crust is a distinctive enough pastry to disqualify all those. It does mean that casserole-style biscuit-topped chicken pot pie doesn't count as a meat pie, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

What's up with people not making chicken pie as an actual pie? I grew up with my mom doing it bottom crust, filling, top crust, cut out an entire slice that keeps mostly together and I just can't fathom having to scoop out my pie with a spoon. And not using proper pie crust just doesn't sound as tasty.

• Options
    In my experience, it was because it was in a school cafeteria and it was easy to cook in giant pans. I understand people cook it that way at home, and your guess is as good as mine, bud.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SirToasty wrote: »

What's up with people not making chicken pie as an actual pie? I grew up with my mom doing it bottom crust, filling, top crust, cut out an entire slice that keeps mostly together and I just can't fathom having to scoop out my pie with a spoon. And not using proper pie crust just doesn't sound as tasty.

The best chicken pot pie is actually the Pennsylvania Dutch version, which has no "pie" elements at all.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »

The best chicken pot pie is actually the Pennsylvania Dutch version, which has no "pie" elements at all.

I'm sure that it is delicious but no flaky crust means it's not taking over the spot for my absolute favorite comfort food.

This discussion has been closed.