As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    Do they make jarred Tikka masala sauce?

Most of my issue with healthy eating anymore is the friction of the prep, it's always easier to toss a tombstone into the oven for 20 minutes than to do literally anything else. It's only two things to clean even. The pan and the cutter.

But seeing as it's killing me I need to start finding ways to make the prep of other foods less of a impact on my life. Thus the idea of the Pyrex seeming so good. I only need to use the pan and the rice cooker one day a week then just heat stuff back up later in the week right out of the fridge.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Yes

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    I am finally getting some pyrex containers to try to do meal prep type stuff with

Plan is still to roast Chicken breasts with different seasonings and pop one each into a container with a big scoop of brown rice and a handful of veg and pop em in the fridge then take em out. Blast em with some sauce or other and bake em with some tinfoil over like a homemade TV dinner.

Nice! Protip: don't put them in the oven while it's preheating and maybe buy a cheap sheet pan to leave on the bottom rack. They don't break very often, but when they do it's a whole production.

That being said, I've had two of the the little two-cup bowls break in the oven over the past ten years, and I use them daily.

Edit: and one of them was definitely because I put it in the oven while it was preheating, which exposes them to way more intense radiant heat in an electric oven than they face during the normal baking cycle.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I am finally getting some pyrex containers to try to do meal prep type stuff with

Plan is still to roast Chicken breasts with different seasonings and pop one each into a container with a big scoop of brown rice and a handful of veg and pop em in the fridge then take em out. Blast em with some sauce or other and bake em with some tinfoil over like a homemade TV dinner.

Nice! Protip: don't put them in the oven while it's preheating and maybe buy a cheap sheet pan to leave on the bottom rack. They don't break very often, but when they do it's a whole production.

That being said, I've had two of the the little two-cup bowls break in the oven over the past ten years, and I use them daily.

Edit: and one of them was definitely because I put it in the oven while it was preheating, which exposes them to way more intense radiant heat in an electric oven than they face during the normal baking cycle.

Good tip thank you

When I bake a frozen pizza I typically skip preheat because my pizza pans are sturdy metal and it honestly heats up really quick anyway.

But yeah I'll use a sheet pan under just in case and let it heat for like ten fifteen minutes before popping it in.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    How 1.5 Tonnes Of Döner Kebab Is Made Every Day At This Legendary Kebab Shop In Turkey | Big Batches (8 mins)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YT209QZ_0

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Well. I now have 3 qts of Brunswick stew. Thankfully it freezes well.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Wal-Mart has some, depending on your feelings about buying from them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fish n chips tonight.

How does being in an oven that is getting to temperature expose things to more heat than an oven that is already at max temperature? Explain this dark science to me book wizard.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If there's an IKEA near you they do a whole range of oven / fridge / freezer / microwave safe glass containers that are really good value and stack really nicely:

l0iczq6mphew.png

When we re-did the kitchen we replaced a cupboard of miscellaneous-sized old takeaway containers and 15 year old tupperware with various shapes / sizes of IKEA containers with bamboo lids and they work great. We make salads for my wife to take to work and they take up barely any space in the fridge as they just stack in a row down the side and even by Friday everything inside is still crisp and tasty despite being made on Sunday night.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I'm drinking a coke zero: vanilla and pepper.

It's some artist colab, limited edition thing.

It's not bad, but I think I know why they usually don't pair coke zero with pepper.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    I'm drinking a coke zero: vanilla and pepper.

It's some artist colab, limited edition thing.

It's not bad, but I think I know why they usually don't pair coke zero with pepper.

Hey, don't be salty about it.

• Options
    It makes sense - vanilla ice cream with pepper is a thing - but it probably needs to be a sugary coke to be actually good.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    It makes sense - vanilla ice cream with pepper is a thing - but it probably needs to be a sugary coke to be actually good.

What kind of pepper? Black? I know it's a thing here to have red chili with vanilla ice cream

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I've got a hot sauce that would pair very well with a good vanilla ice cream

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Black is kind of an old school thing, yeah.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    My go to for lazy but reasonably healthy dinner is to season some chicken thighs and bake them while I throw frozen vegetables in the microwave.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    I just ate like almost a full takeout container of chicken Tikka masala and like 4 pieces of naan

Do I still have room for the two galub jamun?

Of course I do

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Drinking hop tea

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Drinking hop tea

That just sounds like warm beer with extra steps.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Fish n chips tonight.

How does being in an oven that is getting to temperature expose things to more heat than an oven that is already at max temperature? Explain this dark science to me book wizard.

Because ovens are primarily designed to heat food up using indirect heat from hot air! Since air is a pretty inefficient conductor of heat, anything you put in there is going to have a way higher thermal inertia than the air in the oven. That means it'll take a while for the dish and the food to reach the same temperature as the air in the oven. That's good for us, because even though the dish and the various liquids and solids in the food might heat faster or slower compared to one another, they all respond to the hot air slowly enough for it to be an easily controllable process.

However, to get the air hot enough to be useful, most ovens just run the heating element full blast until the air reaches the desired temperature. After that, the heating element only kicks on for short periods to keep the heat topped off. If you put the food in during the preheat cycle, it's exposed to the direct heat of the gas fire or red-hot electrical filament, which heats it up much more quickly than the hot air alone. Essentially, you're putting your green bean casserole/toad in the hole under the broiler/grill, which is the rule-of-thumb equivalent of an oven pre-heated to 550°F/290°C. In addition, the heat is coming intensely from one (or two, depending on the design of your stove) direction instead of gently from all sides. It's the difference between sitting in a chair in a room being warmed by a fireplace and standing right next to the fire and toasting your butt.

This isn't a big deal for most foods in most pans. The exposed surface of the food and the bottom of the pan will get hotter at first, but most stuff we chuck in the oven is forgiving enough to deal with that. A glass pan, on the other hand, is now absorbing a bunch of direct heat from the top and/or bottom with an insulating layer of room temperature or refrigerated food keeping the sides relatively cool. That means you've got some parts of the pan expanding quickly and others staying the same shape, and glass hates that shit.

So it explodes and fills your dinner with hot shards of glass, teaching everyone a valuable lesson about physics and supporting the local pizza delivery economy.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oo, pizza!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    For technically being a semi-solid (very technically because it takes nigh on an eternity for it to "move") glass isn't very flexible

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My mom was disappointed to learn that her mom's old bottle collection with wavy glass wasn't wavy because the glass had flowed a bit, they had just always been like that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Fish n chips tonight.

Because ovens are primarily designed to heat food up using indirect heat from hot air! Since air is a pretty inefficient conductor of heat, anything you put in there is going to have a way higher thermal inertia than the air in the oven. That means it'll take a while for the dish and the food to reach the same temperature as the air in the oven. That's good for us, because even though the dish and the various liquids and solids in the food might heat faster or slower compared to one another, they all respond to the hot air slowly enough for it to be an easily controllable process.

However, to get the air hot enough to be useful, most ovens just run the heating element full blast until the air reaches the desired temperature. After that, the heating element only kicks on for short periods to keep the heat topped off. If you put the food in during the preheat cycle, it's exposed to the direct heat of the gas fire or red-hot electrical filament, which heats it up much more quickly than the hot air alone. Essentially, you're putting your green bean casserole/toad in the hole under the broiler/grill, which is the rule-of-thumb equivalent of an oven pre-heated to 550°F/290°C. In addition, the heat is coming intensely from one (or two, depending on the design of your stove) direction instead of gently from all sides. It's the difference between sitting in a chair in a room being warmed by a fireplace and standing right next to the fire and toasting your butt.

This isn't a big deal for most foods in most pans. The exposed surface of the food and the bottom of the pan will get hotter at first, but most stuff we chuck in the oven is forgiving enough to deal with that. A glass pan, on the other hand, is now absorbing a bunch of direct heat from the top and/or bottom with an insulating layer of room temperature or refrigerated food keeping the sides relatively cool. That means you've got some parts of the pan expanding quickly and others staying the same shape, and glass hates that shit.

So it explodes and fills your dinner with hot shards of glass, teaching everyone a valuable lesson about physics and supporting the local pizza delivery economy.

Okay, you win this round, wizard

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Relatedly: this is why it’s useful to keep a pizza stone in your oven, as it helps stabilize baking temperatures once preheating is complete by acting as another heat sink/source.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Also, corning stopped making their good borosilicate glass, like 20 years ago and the new stuff is much more prone to breaking during the described heat fluctuations (allegedly)

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-controversy-that-just-wont-die-1833040962
    Corning licensed the Pyrex brand to a company called World Kitchen—now known as Corelle Brands—in 1998, and by nearly all accounts, all Pyrex cookware sold in the United States after that year has been made of tempered soda-lime glass. This is where the controversy really heats up.

The vast majority of glass products are made of soda-lime glass: window panes, jars, bottles, all kinds of glass. Soda-lime glass is cheaper to make than borosilicate glass, which is undoubtedly why Pyrex started experimenting with it. However, borosilicate glass is not only harder, stronger, and more durable than soda-lime glass; it’s also more resilient to thermal shock.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if you have an old glass pyrex baking dish from your parents or whatever, treasure that thing. They quite literally don't make 'em like that anymore.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    My mom was disappointed to learn that her mom's old bottle collection with wavy glass wasn't wavy because the glass had flowed a bit, they had just always been like that.

This reminds me of people studying old stained glass and hypothesizing that the glass was thicker on the bottom because it had sunk down over hundreds of years but actually the maker probably just oriented the glass that way for stability.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Also, corning stopped making their good borosilicate glass, like 20 years ago and the new stuff is much more prone to breaking during the described heat fluctuations (allegedly)

https://gizmodo.com/the-pyrex-glass-controversy-that-just-wont-die-1833040962
    Corning licensed the Pyrex brand to a company called World Kitchen—now known as Corelle Brands—in 1998, and by nearly all accounts, all Pyrex cookware sold in the United States after that year has been made of tempered soda-lime glass. This is where the controversy really heats up.

The vast majority of glass products are made of soda-lime glass: window panes, jars, bottles, all kinds of glass. Soda-lime glass is cheaper to make than borosilicate glass, which is undoubtedly why Pyrex started experimenting with it. However, borosilicate glass is not only harder, stronger, and more durable than soda-lime glass; it’s also more resilient to thermal shock.

Hm, interesting. I'd imagine you can just google 'borosilicate glass cookware' and find options filling the gap left by pyrex.

Maybe narrow things down by checking an appropriate subreddit or forum or something for actual opinions.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Wal-Mart has some, depending on your feelings about buying from them.

I've used this brand before. It's pretty good. The local supermarket carries it.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oxo makes the most readily available borosilicate glass casserole baking dish that's pretty affordable (about $25)

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    interesting borosilicate glass fact from the internet just now: you can tell if it's borosilicate by submerging it in mineral oil, it should be completely invisible in the oil due to having the same refractive index

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Just be careful cleaning up after this experiment. While it has admirable thermal properties, borosilicate tends to break into long, nasty shards when you fumble your lubed-up casserole dish onto the floor.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I stopped it at "trust the process", I don't need to see anymore

1,000,000 years detention

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    neverreallyneverreally Registered User regular
    it probably tastes good :/

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    So tired of hateclick stunt "food".

• Options
    I just ate like almost a full takeout container of chicken Tikka masala and like 4 pieces of naan

Do I still have room for the two galub jamun?

Of course I do

I regret my words and deeds

This discussion has been closed.