Options

There's Actually Zero Difference Between Good & [Bad] Food

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I hesitate to say the Britain has the best anything in the world.

But then I don’t know that much about Britain.

Hey Brits, what do you got that’s best in the world?

Fuckin’… woolen sweaters?

Sarcasm

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    There's a lot of justified heat directed at British cuisine, but your pastry game is on point

A warm kidney pie on a cold day, heating your hands and sating your hunger at the same time? Lovely

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

The weather is amazing when it stops, much like the jokes about our food.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I made risotto tonight. It was delicious and turned out perfectly.

I am never making risotto again.

You know I never minded making risotto. It turns out delicious and all I had to do was add some liquid every few minutes and stir for a bit?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Gin! Definitely the best gin.

And whisky.

I see a pattern.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

And whisky.

I see a pattern.

Bourbon is from America and the best scotch these days comes from Japan.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Wellllllllll

I mean they still win SOME categories in the world gin awards

I would argue that the best gin in the world is coming out of Australia these days though

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Sarcasm

Dry nihilist humour

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

Sarcasm

Dry nihilist humour

Cheddar

sig.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023

This seems reasonable but also I'm not a huge fan of gin.
    V1m wrote: »

The weather is amazing when it stops, much like the jokes about our food.

I'm from California, dogg, it's like you're not even trying

sarukun on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what the relevance of that is, I am not up on my California knowledge

• Options
    I'm not really sure what the relevance of that is, I am not up on my California knowledge

California either has no weather or apocalypse.

It's sunny in Southern California something like 300-330 days out of the year.

It is also the land where everything burns every summer and has been in a drought for something like 40 years.

Somehow not a desert yet.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    I made risotto tonight. It was delicious and turned out perfectly.

I am never making risotto again.

You know I never minded making risotto. It turns out delicious and all I had to do was add some liquid every few minutes and stir for a bit?

There's a way to make it without the tedious stirring. You use 300g arborio rice, half an onion, 1l stock and 2tsp white wine vinegar. Soften the onion in a little oil, quickly fry off the rice, add the stock and the vinegar, bring to the boil, put a lid on the pot and throw it in a 160C oven for 20 minutes.

Take it out, stir it all up. From that point you have a perfect risotto base to add whatever else you want to. The recipe I use has some smoked salmon, frozen peas, spring onions and a squirt of lemon juice thrown in before putting it back in the oven for 5 minutes.

You might cause some Italian Grandmothers to faint and curse the ground you walk on but that's a small price to pay

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

And whisky.

I see a pattern.

Bourbon is from America and the best scotch these days comes from Japan.

Bourbon is whiskey (the e is important).

And incorrect but if you want get technical the Scottish taught the Japanese so the point still stands.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Some credit for making worcestershire sauce

Then all the credit clawed back and then some for the spelling-pronunciation gap

• Options
    edited January 2023

It is also the land where everything burns every summer and has been in a drought for something like 40 years.

Cause of stealing all the water from southern Arizona and northwest Mexico

I likely have no idea what I’m talking about….maybe most of the water comes from the Sacramenti vs the Colorada?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options

Cause of stealing all the water from southern Arizona and northwest Mexico

I likely have no idea what I’m talking about….maybe most of the water comes from the Sacramenti vs the Colorada?

Forget it, Captain, it’s Chinatown.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There's a lot of justified heat directed at British cuisine, but your pastry game is on point

I mean it’s not though, the valid complaints about British cuisine come from expats from Britain who mostly were part of the Great Depression. That particular generation has that little money they considered garlic to be a luxury. And yeah, that food was pretty fuckin bland because they were dirt poor. And you know what? So did everyone’s food. The difference is that your food evolved and you eat the better food and rather than looking at modern British food, everyone points at their food from the 1920s and laughs.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Are we shitting on British Food? Because I will fight someone bare-chested in the street over Fish and Chips being a top 10 Hangover food.

Ya got Salty, sweet, Crispy, Flakey, juicy.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    British food is good

Cause of the imperialism

Which makes it bad

But yummy

It’s one manifestation of the thesis of this thread in fact!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Now help me prepare this non-inclusive but resource optimized community gruel in the community cookery

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Well, more it hasn't reverted to being a desert again yet. Because we can pipe in as much water as we like, plant crops and trees, build cities, but none of it has changed the fact it's still a desert and should the water from up north stop flowing nature will reassert equilibrium.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    It's not a desert though, it's a chapparal.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

On the coast, but there's a whole lot of Southern California past the San Gabriel Mountains

Madican on
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Yeah the desert part

This is why SoCal rocks, drive an hour in any direction* and you end up in a completely different biome

*lol, assuming no traffic

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

On the coast, but there's a whole lot of Southern California past the San Gabriel Mountains

But they never show that part in movies or TV or anything so it might not actually exist at all!

• Options

But they never show that part in movies or TV or anything so it might not actually exist at all!

Oh they show it, the area's very popular for filming, they just rarely represent it as California in the movies. I grew up near a very popular "downtown" street in Lancaster that was often used for vehicle stunts.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    British food is good

Cause of the imperialism

Which makes it bad

But yummy

the curry is also cursed.

(that's bad)

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, fish and chips is perfectly good (if unhealthy) food.

Now, Irish food on the other hand... well, I'm a big fan of the annual family dinner on St. Patricks Day.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

No it's a pizza - all the dry on one side, wet/open on the other.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, fish and chips is perfectly good (if unhealthy) food.

Now, Irish food on the other hand... well, I'm a big fan of the annual family dinner on St. Patricks Day.

Colcannon is the saddest food that I love. Like I admire that you came up with a hearty comforting dish made entirely out of winter animal fodder, good job the Irish.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I mean it’s not though, the valid complaints about British cuisine come from expats from Britain who mostly were part of the Great Depression. That particular generation has that little money they considered garlic to be a luxury. And yeah, that food was pretty fuckin bland because they were dirt poor. And you know what? So did everyone’s food. The difference is that your food evolved and you eat the better food and rather than looking at modern British food, everyone points at their food from the 1920s and laughs.

And rolling straight from the Depression into the Blitz and rations etc.

Entire decades of poverty food.

Also, mushy peas are amazing. And while I'm not a fan of savory pie, I can totally understand the appeal and would likely reach for a meat pie over a poptart on a given day.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Meat pies are one of those things that like... the entire concept is not a common thing in American cuisine but it feels like should be. Except chicken pot pie, that feels like the one example that made it through the filter and I have no idea why.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I've never made a homemade pizza but I've had a terrible idea.

1. Pizza crust
    2. Tomatilla sauce
    3. Queso fresco
    4. Crumbled chorizo
    5. Diced onions
    6. Cilantro
    7. Squeeze of lime

Mexican street taco pizza

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    British food is good

Cause of the imperialism

Which makes it bad

But yummy

There's plenty of good non-imperialist ethnic British food, too. See Jedoc's cottage pie lunch.

But most British foods are not easy to make really well, or rather: far tooeasy to make badly, and unforgiving of poor quality ingredients.

Person A might have a cream tea made by a really good cook and enjoy fresh, light, buttery scones, well made raspberry preserve and home made clotted cream and come away from the experience with a very different view from Person B who might have had a visually indistinguishable version of the same meal that was infinitely poorer. The same might apply to just about any iconic british food from fish and chips to steak & kidney pudding. Done well, it's fantastic. Done poorly, no.

And a lot of our foods also have very little middle ground between delicious and deeply disappointing. eg: a Yorkshire pudding is either a delight or a disaster, and can go from one to the other in a few moments of misjudgement. Most of our dishes take a lot of skill to do well, and until you have that skill you don't make an 'OK' Yorkshire pudding.

Anyone who thinks we don't care about food should ponder how many Michelin starred restaurants there are here, or why, given half an opportunity, British people will discuss food at length and with feeling, even if we pretend we're just joking around. You will get our opinions about a 'proper' full English (Scottish or Irish) breakfast, or beer, or local chippy, because we care about it just as much as an Italian does their pasta.

Here ends the serious post.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Meat pies are one of those things that like... the entire concept is not a common thing in American cuisine but it feels like should be. Except chicken pot pie, that feels like the one example that made it through the filter and I have no idea why.

Stromboli was invented in Philadelphia, the chimichanga in arizona, and the Hot Pocket in Colorado

Pepperoni rolls come from west Virginia! I forgot that one.

Corn dogs are American, too!

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Honestly some of the best eating I every had was my two trips to England.

I don't remember much of the trips other than the food.

• Options
    All i know is every episode of Great British Baking Show I want to eat all the things they make

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Honestly some of the best eating I every had was my two trips to England.

I don't remember much of the trips other than the food.

London?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Of course corn dogs were made
    In America, they are the food manifestation of our national id

This discussion has been closed.