As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heartbreak feels good in a [Movie] thread like this

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Here's what's going on with Don't Worry Darling as far as anyone can tell. A lot of this I've learned against my will!

Florence Pugh won't promote the movie. There are rumors she's in a feud with the director, Olivia Wilde, mainly over how the movie is being promoted. Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde are dating, apparently having met on the set of the movie? Jason Sudeikis served her custody papers over their children and they were delivered while she was on stage promoting the film. Olivia Wilde claims that she fired Shia Labeouf because she wanted a safe filming environment, Shia Labeouf claims he quit and that she's a liar. In the background, people online who are convinced that Harry Styles is in love with Liam from One Direction are furious at Olivia Wilde's existence, rendering many of these facts very unreliable.

The film is premiering at a film festival. Pugh showed up to walk the red carpet, watch the movie, and bounce back to film more Dune. Harry Styles gave a long rambling interview about how he likes the movie because it feels like a movie while Chris Pine dissociated. They sit Chris Pine in between Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles at the movie. Harry Styles appears to spit on Chris Pine as he sits down. After the movie, Harry Styles stands up and kisses Nick Kroll.

You missed Pine putting on his sunglasses just as the lights went off in the theater so that he could sleep through the premier

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The whole thing is weird. Like, Wilde says in an interview she fired Shia. He gives a reporter emails, texts and video that seem to directly contradict that. Now obody but Styles seems to want anything to do with it.

Like, is Olivia Wilde a secret baddie? And we find out by Shia fucking Labouef? I'm not ready for that to be the case.

Also who spits on someone? That has to be an accident or weird.. Something, right?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Taking any opportunity to snag a 2 hour nap while at work just sounds like being efficient with your time to me.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    she wanted to work with labeouf, so I'm already highly fucking dubious of her

• Options
    There’s clear video of the spitting, it’s like Styles spitting his gum out on Pine, where it bounces off and away, or it’s a loogy that Pine just leaves on his pants leg

They both appear to think it’s funny, but it’s not clear of Pine thinks it’s funny because he’s laughing through the tears of promoting this film and if Styles thinks it’s funny because he’s a giant fucking prick who thinks he can get away with shit like that cause he’s such a big name

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Here's what's going on with Don't Worry Darling as far as anyone can tell. A lot of this I've learned against my will!

Florence Pugh won't promote the movie. There are rumors she's in a feud with the director, Olivia Wilde, mainly over how the movie is being promoted. Harry Styles and Olivia Wilde are dating, apparently having met on the set of the movie? Jason Sudeikis served her custody papers over their children and they were delivered while she was on stage promoting the film. Olivia Wilde claims that she fired Shia Labeouf because she wanted a safe filming environment, Shia Labeouf claims he quit and that she's a liar. In the background, people online who are convinced that Harry Styles is in love with Liam from One Direction are furious at Olivia Wilde's existence, rendering many of these facts very unreliable.

The film is premiering at a film festival. Pugh showed up to walk the red carpet, watch the movie, and bounce back to film more Dune. Harry Styles gave a long rambling interview about how he likes the movie because it feels like a movie while Chris Pine dissociated. They sit Chris Pine in between Olivia Wilde and Harry Styles at the movie. Harry Styles appears to spit on Chris Pine as he sits down. After the movie, Harry Styles stands up and kisses Nick Kroll.

There was also a rumor that Florence Pugh effectively directed most of the movie because Olivia Wilde was too busy spending time with Harry Styles and Florence started taking over when Olivia wasn't on set out of frustration.

Which sounds utterly ridiculous but if you're trying to sum up all the crazy rumors about this one you might as well get that in there too.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Has Pugh directed anything before this?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The whole thing is weird. Like, Wilde says in an interview she fired Shia. He gives a reporter emails, texts and video that seem to directly contradict that. Now obody but Styles seems to want anything to do with it.

Like, is Olivia Wilde a secret baddie? And we find out by Shia fucking Labouef? I'm not ready for that to be the case.

Also who spits on someone? That has to be an accident or weird.. Something, right?

I was a little eh on her when book smart was getting rave reviews but everyone seemed to gloss over the teacher fucking her student aspect of it, but then the being served brcause she was ducking out on receiving papers just set off bells

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

Clearly he was trying to spit on his girlfriend but Pine was in the way

Spitting on your partner in public is a normal thing couples do, right? I'm not very experienced with romance.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    For anyone interested in the messy lives of artists, and reading between the frames of video footage to construct narratives with ever-evolving context:

Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV FMV Video Game Immortality is on GamePass, and includes the entirety of Immortality AND the award-winning Immortality, up to 100 clips with no restrictions on playtime? Sign up, and enjoy the collision of art and artist today!

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I watched Jurassic World Dominion yesterday because my girlfriend loves all of Jurassic Park and it is indeed too long and not good. But the part that drives me the craziest is that Owen is sitting around the fire with Maisie and they're sharpening sticks with knives and Owen tells her the key to winning a knife fight is to get stabbed. You get stabbed somewhere unimportant while you're stabbing something vital of them and then that never fucking matters later in the movie.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I watched Jurassic World Dominion yesterday because my girlfriend loves all of Jurassic Park and it is indeed too long and not good. But the part that drives me the craziest is that Owen is sitting around the fire with Maisie and they're sharpening sticks with knives and Owen tells her the key to winning a knife fight is to get stabbed. You get stabbed somewhere unimportant while you're stabbing something vital of them and then that never fucking matters later in the movie.

that's one heck of a chekov's gun to just leave there

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    vk53nz2u4tx9.jpg

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Is this also the movie where Harry Styles found out that gay sex was two guys having sex

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    so is Harry Styles just a Jean Ralphio that I don't want to bring with and toss into a party like a social pipe-bomb?

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

that's one heck of a chekov's gun to just leave there

No you see, it was a knife.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well and now I've learned that some of the loudest anti-Wilde accounts on Twitter are also QAnon boosters, so there's another whole fucking layer to this.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Well and now I've learned that some of the loudest anti-Wilde accounts on Twitter are also QAnon boosters, so there's another whole fucking layer to this.

There's a pretty strong little cottage industry based around pivoting from one famous woman to hate to another in order to get attention, and a lot of the fash have been deeply invested in it

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Not sure how this showed up on my gaming twitter, but it did, and I think it's an interesting thread on the insight of why only now is WB seeming to self-destruct among other Hollywood weirdness. (Spoiler: It's old legal fuckery)

I'm a little tipsy and explaining to a friend how Hollywood is essentially crumbling for profit and it's interesting so I'm going to make it a thread.

Strap in.

Bankruptcy Goes to Hollywood: A Thread

I ain't gonna repost the whole thread here, but to sum up: The old anti-trust case that morphed Hollywood in the 50s and broke the studio system got sunsetted back in 2020 and is now no longer binding as of this year. Cue picking up right back where 1948 left off, only it's WB in the RKO seat of being in freefall.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i saw two of the best films of my life, back to back, all in one day

Swan Song (heartbreaking) and Stop and Go (hilarious)

look them up won't you

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

it's a fun combo between that and the one direction shippers, yeah

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Hmm and some people think Taylor Swift is gay and she was in Cats, it's all coming together

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited September 2022
    Now look, I dare any of you to sit next to your coworker while he says “I think my favorite thing about this movie is that it feels like… a movie” without making this exact face. It’s real hard to stifle a serious business eyeroll, people.

encu51uoama8.jpeg

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

it's a fun combo between that and the one direction shippers, yeah
    For whatever reason, a number of articles started showing up in my feed accusing Styles of queerbaiting.

The gist (as I understand it) is that Styles has been using LGBTQIA+ coded... stuff (look, I have no idea about ANYTHING involving Styles apart from that he was in One Direction, don't ask me what he does) and has publicly kissed a couple of guys, but his relationships are exclusively with women and he refuses to comment on his personal life when directly asked about his sexuality in interviews.

So there's also a faction of left wing activists who also have it in for Styles for what they see as trying to profit off the LGBTQIA+ community without publicly claiming to be LGBTQIA+.

(Which, yes, someone cynically manipulating a marginalised group for money is gross, but demanding that someone publicly identify a certain way is also gross)

I regret clicking on the first headline to understand what the kerfuffle was about, because now at least 1 headline shows up in my feed every day.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Feels like maybe celebrities shouldn't have to justify their sexuality to journalists

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Personally I feel celebrities simply should not

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Feels like maybe celebrities shouldn't have to justify their sexuality to journalists

or to fans!

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

or to fans!

Or to anybody!

• Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Not sure how this showed up on my gaming twitter, but it did, and I think it's an interesting thread on the insight of why only now is WB seeming to self-destruct among other Hollywood weirdness. (Spoiler: It's old legal fuckery)

I'm a little tipsy and explaining to a friend how Hollywood is essentially crumbling for profit and it's interesting so I'm going to make it a thread.

Strap in.

Bankruptcy Goes to Hollywood: A Thread

I ain't gonna repost the whole thread here, but to sum up: The old anti-trust case that morphed Hollywood in the 50s and broke the studio system got sunsetted back in 2020 and is now no longer binding as of this year. Cue picking up right back where 1948 left off, only it's WB in the RKO seat of being in freefall.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/44333092/#Comment_44333092

I am only linking this to brag and go, "I BEEN saying." It's very tacky, but you know me, I'm a tacky guy.

Now that may also have been the thread in which I certainly did not, under any circumstances, advocate for pirating the content of megacorps instead of giving them money. Certainly wouldn't do it here, either, we've got rules for a reason. It would be crazy for me to advocate that! Some of these people sign my checks! Weird coincidence, that's all, nothing to get worked up about.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I both agree with this and think that Styles does have a bit of a contentious history there

I wouldn't accuse him of queerbaiting, because I think that's something different overall, but there's maybe a bit of chumming the queer waters

He absolutely has a right to keep that a private matter, but when he's going to get a ton of media attention for the "groundbreaking" decision to wear a dress for Vogue, there's other factors that are (unfortunately) going to come into play thanks to how sexuality exists in our modern society

• Options
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

I've seen less-harrowing horror movies, my god

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I didn't even know he was in One Direction, guess that explains the fame.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Update on Jaws in IMAX. Fantastic. Excellent experience. Movie remains impeccable. Quint still the absolute perfect character.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Harry Styles is my personal litmus test of just how old I am.

I think he was in a boy band?

That exhausts my total knowledge of Mr. Styles.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Update on Jaws in IMAX. Fantastic. Excellent experience. Movie remains impeccable. Quint still the absolute perfect character.

I recently rewatched it, and wondered what you thought about the scene where Quint goes at the radio with a bat. It kinda took me out of the movie a bit because it seemed so out of nowhere. I eventually justified it to myself as going full Ahab, but wonder how you felt?

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I can't remember him in Dunkirk and the Eternals stinger. My brain keeps conflating him with the asshole son in the first John Wick.

• Options
    Wait

Hairstyles

• Options
    Can’t believe I’m the first person to think of that

This discussion has been closed.