As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs] Workers of the world, quiet quit!

19596979899101»

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Well, I get to yet again exercise our backup system to restore a cert I stupidly deleted thinking my tests at validation were accurate before. Turns out.. nope! Nuked the wrong thing.

Luckily it was test this time, and I was deliberately experimenting there because I knew it wouldn't affect anyone.

Fixed it, and now I'm wondering WTF I did in the past to break things like this. Was there a reason I used 2 certs with identical contents and different names?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Gonna credit myself 10 minites for the 30 minute work phone call i woke to and the 10 minutes of video game talk sprinkled in between.

I need a food processor because I can smell my blender's motor after making hummus. 2 cans was too thick for it.

• Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Gonna credit myself 10 minites for the 30 minute work phone call i woke to and the 10 minutes of video game talk sprinkled in between.

I need a food processor because I can smell my blender's motor after making hummus. 2 cans was too thick for it.

We have two food processors, and a vitamix.

And the worlds tiiiiiiiiiiiiiniest kitchen.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Effective November 16, 2022, your pay will increase by 2.3% to $29.159

Not nothing, it's about 90 extra bucks a month.

But also, that's the 2nd market adjustment they made this year. Back in February the district said "whoa, we're way underpaying your position in comparison to the area market. Here's a 7.93% increase" then in August they gave flat 3.9% COL adjustment to all non-union people making under ~$80,000/yr. So from August 2021 until now I've seen a ~13.8% increase in salary.

Possibly this is because I haven't had a performance based raise since 2018. I got promoted into my current position and department in 2019 following some...contentious negotiations with the teacher's union, and while they got paid more, it came with a freeze on merit raises for most of us and it's been only ~2% cost of living increases (usually just under, like 1.8%) for any non-union employees since then.

tl;dr: In 2019 I was getting paid $23.50/hr to do this job. As of a month ago I'm getting paid $29.16/hr and only found that out.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been having some jaw issues and it's probably not helped by the fact that I've been grinding my teeth. It's healing up. I can chew right now without any difficulty. But god my mandible is sore.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Only about 10% of my problems is my team doing stupid s***. The other 90% is suppliers making me sweat over getting materials in on time and managers from other stores treating us like the problem child my store has historically been.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Throat is starting to get scratchy. Hope I'm not getting sick.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ah, come into work and discover a flat tire. That no one handled....in the last 16 hours..... glorious

https://youtu.be/IrJUq6-HHOk

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    things i have found out today

my employees genuinely liked me as a boss

most of the other managers think the CEO has done fucked up

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Today is my 5 year anniversary at this gig.

Which makes it the longest job I've ever had. In a lot of ways it's still my dream job, as frustrating and annoying as it has been recently, but yea...huh. That and it being the anniversary of Repeal Day and I think I'm going to go make myself a hell of a cocktail. Cheers.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Finally had my performance check in after it getting bumped again and getting an email to do someone else’s work that they sent off from their phone for me to handle instead of talking to the guy that should have been doing it.

It was recommended to me not to dwell on the past mistakes of the team. I fired back that if those mistakes kept happening then we weren’t moving forward and they were going to burn out the people that are already doing other people’s work.

Lots of praise for me saving the day. Which will result in nothing. Lots of talk about “holding people accountable” when their last day is next week.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

SHIT it's the feds

I mean ...

Heeeeey there Kadith!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Core Team Values:
    1. Fuck you, pay me

Seems likely! I think CEOs get bonuses based on how often they fuck things up for managers. Which really interferes with our managerial bonuses for fucking things up things for people doing the actual work.

Anyway, it's always nice to be missed on the way out. Like a Tom Sawyer funeral.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    A company that actually does retention bonuses?! What a world we live in

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    ThroThro pgroome@penny-arcade.com Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

SHIT it's the feds

I mean ...

Heeeeey there Kadith!

Yay more feds! Welcome! GS or Demo? Max out your TSP! More acronyms!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I talked with my supervisor yesterday, about the new job/promotion that he's working on "for me."

He has not gotten a salary range from HR yet, but he's going to call them today. The position will remain as an hourly wage, rather than salary , which is great.

• Options
    Opposing FarceOpposing Farce Registered User regular
    edited December 2022
    Edit: will move this to the new thread for visibility because I crave validation
    Tox wrote: »
    Definitely the latter. I mean. It feels like they're trying to give the team more ownership. But I've played that game before, and it always ends up being bullshit. So I'm guessing that's what set off my bs meter

This is late, but if you couch it as "hey, we know this exercise isn't the most sincere thing corporate could do" and riff from there its usually well received.

When I was in the military I was the young officer stuckee doing our wellness briefings where we had to wax on about the core values for part of it. I was not a flag waving kool aid drinker, so it was a fun exercise.

I just tried to go beyond the platitudes to what they actually say. Like one value was have integrity. Just don't be a lying piece of shit and be accountable to each other. If you phrase it in down to earth language people use in the real world its waaayyy better.

Turn "Integrity First!" into "look, the minimum is being honest and accountable, its really not a big deal". I also sort of 'downplayed' the values. All they are is the baseline! Its so we have some mutual baseline to work from, so everyone understands the expectations. Turn the values away from something sacred into something functional. People usually respect and understand that. My commander actually loved that angle.

Adjacently, the values can be treated like de facto laws. Like, theft is illegal, but people still do it. Its not like you throw your hands up and make theft legal because people do it anyways. Its so when theft happens you can point to something that says not to do it. In this case, if someone acts without integrity you can go, bro, it was the bare minimum you clown

Now I like talking about this stuff because I like being different than all other kool aid drinkers and their stupid speeches filled with empty rhetoric.

Opposing Farce on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Cello wrote: »
    Stop doing frozen

You have literal evidence of it being unsafe work if you keep making your hands bleed doing it

I keep asking and now just get ignored

Just bleed on everything.

I know I'd eat less ice cream if it was covered in blood.

Not NONE. But less.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Took a voluntary stress test at work today

nybqih6g24mr.jpeg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Nice

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nice

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Nice

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Seems high. If only there were some way for you to relax with your partner, that might relax your partner at the same time.

Some nice way.

This discussion has been closed.