Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am enjoying this brief lull where GW isn't putting out anything I want*. It helps when I am hitting a wall on finishing these Leviathan Marines. These bases are too detailed!

*I did try to pre-order the Lion but it sold out too fast. :( My poor Dark Angels are sad.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I bought it from an FLGS and given how hard it is to find Sagitaurs right now, I don't think there's likely to be many spare bits for it, sadly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I don't think he was trying to say that there are no good individuals in 40k. The bits about the books and how most of the viewpoint characters there are people trying to figure out when to follow orders and do as their (bad) culture commands and when to do the right thing seem indicative of there being good people in bad circumstances.

Gulliman is heroic. He is pro- many good things. But he also went along with the Imperial Truth, genociding aliens for being alien and wiping out planets of humans for being not-quite-human-enough or being too friendly with aliens or just not wanting to join up with the Imperium of Man. And that's assuming that you accept that in the 40k universe being religious is inherently dangerous/bad and that the only way to deal with it is extermination, since he did some of that, too. And even if he didn't like it - I haven't read enough books about him to know whether he had any personal qualms about the Emperor's orders - he still did it, and history doesn't tend to look well on people who were "just following orders" when the orders are morally repugnant.

The issue with the video is that it has misunderstood how the Universe of 40K works, what people understand, and how Chaos interacts with it. If you watch to the end, you see how he just kinda gives the chaos gods a pass as "They are what they are, eh, whatcha gonna do?"

But, the thing he fails to characterize is that the Chaos gods in 40K exist and are real, and are intelligent, and are fundamental to reality and hate you. They aren't like, weather or an angry dog. They hate your existence. After you die, your very real immortal soul will almost certainly be consumed by them. Like, you can do a scientific experiment and prove your soul exists and that the Chaos gods want to eat it. They hate everything, and you can't get rid of them. In addition, different species have vastly different resilience to their corruption, and different value to them as food. They are a byproduct of the existence of life which is capable of being moral, and are themselves, fundamentally abhorrent to modern morality. They also mean that some species are literally better than other species, and humanity has no way to tell, and the only info they got was from the Emperor who told them "You lot are great, the other things out there? Most of them are awful. If you've got questions about that, only I can tell the difference between a good species and a bad one unfortunately"

He talks about the evils of government corruption and abuse of power, but, the universe of 40k is one in which freedom is absurdly dangerous. You can't have fair representative government reflecting the will of the people at a large scale, because thats too easy for chaos to fiddle with. What if it WAS true that there were evil and unknowable powers working behind the scenes to corrupt the masses? What if only true heroes could resist their tricks, and help others do the same? Well, then I guess we'd have to try and find 'great leaders' to rule us, and as through history we'd then end up finding good ones and bad ones, and the system based on them would tend towards corruption but, at least it would be good enough to mean we don't all get turned into chaos spawn.

40K presents the nightmare of 'what if your terrible beliefs were true, bad person. What would that be? What would that world look like'. The people in 40K are not fundamentally bad, the UNIVERSE is fundamentally bad. The Universe shows you the nightmare of bad ideas being true. It shows you what it would mean to have a world where dictatorship was the right choice. It shows you what it would mean to have a true and real hell, full of demons who hate you, and a capriscious and silent deity who only probably gives a shit about you. It shows you the nightmare of what it would mean to have a world where racism (speciesism here) was true and real. What if some races were just 'better' than others. What would that do to us? What would it mean if our neighbors really could be secretly plotting to kill us, and we had no way of knowing. What would that do to us.

Chaos creates and fosters these problems in 40K. It hates you, and creates itself FROM you. In 40K, only great heroes can lead despite this issue (what if the great leader theory was true? What would that do to us?), the Imperium before Gulliman had no great heroes who were willing to lead its body politic, only military heroes.

40K presents a satire of extrapolation. It shows all the fascists and authoritarians and rugged individualists of the world not an argument about how WRONG they are, it shows them the horror of the world we would face if they were right. The ends justifies the means, forever.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    I am enjoying this brief lull where GW isn't putting out anything I want*. It helps when I am hitting a wall on finishing these Leviathan Marines. These bases are too detailed!

*I did try to pre-order the Lion but it sold out too fast. :( My poor Dark Angels are sad.

I literally got back into 40K painting and hobbying after 25 years so I could get and paint that Lion mini when I saw it preveiwed 6 months ago or whatever and now I'm deeply sad that I'm probably never going to get it!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

I literally got back into 40K painting and hobbying after 25 years so I could get and paint that Lion mini when I saw it preveiwed 6 months ago or whatever and now I'm deeply sad that I'm probably never going to get it!

Pretty sure it will be back in stock. It's not a one-off.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I forced myself to work on the marines more. Got the bases largely done but I have to wait for everything to dry up good. On;y have the decals, some minor scrolls I missed adding text too, and then ad some stirland mud to the bases a little bit to tie them into the other Dark Angels I did.

Also I need it to not be raining or hugely humid outside so I can prime all the nids. Also have the nids from the Imperium premium subscription that showed up. Seems to be a unit of genestealers, termagants (old ones), and a brood lord?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    ...he just kinda gives the chaos gods a pass as "They are what they are, eh, whatcha gonna do?"

I read a description of the chaos gods a while back (that I can't seem to find) that basically laid them out not as shitty themselves, but basically just as reflections of a shitty universe.

So Nurgle is the god of death and rot and all that, but he is also the god of fertility and growth. Khorne is the god of blood and murder, but he is also the god of bravery and martial strength. Tzeentch is the god of trickery and deceit, but also the god of knowledge and creativity/innovation. Slaanesh is the god of lust and excess, but also the god of self pride and joy/contentment. The gods themselves are well rounded, but since the immaterium serves as a reflection of the real universe they too serve as a reflection of the life within it. Since the universe is filled with hatred, fear, envy, and death, those are the aspects that present themselves the most in the realm of chaos, and therefore those are the aspects that are most represented in that realm's gods.

It makes them feel more fleshed out and more of a consequence of the attitudes and behaviors of the inhabitants of the Milky Way galaxy rather than just a group of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The big four are Defiance, Hope, Despair, and Acceptance. This is why the classic enmities are Khorne-Slaanesh and Tzeentch-Nurgle – they’re the true polar opposites. The real trick though is the Emperor sitting in the middle of the Wheel with his domain of Duty. Which straddles all four corners but doesn’t really fulfil any of them.

But yes, the reflection thing is really key to their whole existence, which is also the other reason the Emperor denied godhood; he wanted to retain his free will.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I never really bought into this whole "death of the author" thing.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Um excuse me, Papa Nurgle does not hate us, he loves us and wants to share his gifts with the world

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    The recent Stormcast animated show on Wh+ isnt very good but it does have a great Nurgle line "the pain doesnt end, but the suffering does"

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ...he just kinda gives the chaos gods a pass as "They are what they are, eh, whatcha gonna do?"

I read a description of the chaos gods a while back (that I can't seem to find) that basically laid them out not as shitty themselves, but basically just as reflections of a shitty universe.

So Nurgle is the god of death and rot and all that, but he is also the god of fertility and growth. Khorne is the god of blood and murder, but he is also the god of bravery and martial strength. Tzeentch is the god of trickery and deceit, but also the god of knowledge and creativity/innovation. Slaanesh is the god of lust and excess, but also the god of self pride and joy/contentment. The gods themselves are well rounded, but since the immaterium serves as a reflection of the real universe they too serve as a reflection of the life within it. Since the universe is filled with hatred, fear, envy, and death, those are the aspects that present themselves the most in the realm of chaos, and therefore those are the aspects that are most represented in that realm's gods.

It makes them feel more fleshed out and more of a consequence of the attitudes and behaviors of the inhabitants of the Milky Way galaxy rather than just a group of Saturday morning cartoon villains.

But I think the key part there is that they are to an extent aware of what they are and what their 'counterpart' is and they know if everyone started 'behaving' they would stop being themselves and that fact is a key aspect to their existence. So the past horrors of the universe made them, but they refuse to allow us to change our ways.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I don't think he was trying to say that there are no good individuals in 40k. The bits about the books and how most of the viewpoint characters there are people trying to figure out when to follow orders and do as their (bad) culture commands and when to do the right thing seem indicative of there being good people in bad circumstances.

Gulliman is heroic. He is pro- many good things. But he also went along with the Imperial Truth, genociding aliens for being alien and wiping out planets of humans for being not-quite-human-enough or being too friendly with aliens or just not wanting to join up with the Imperium of Man. And that's assuming that you accept that in the 40k universe being religious is inherently dangerous/bad and that the only way to deal with it is extermination, since he did some of that, too. And even if he didn't like it - I haven't read enough books about him to know whether he had any personal qualms about the Emperor's orders - he still did it, and history doesn't tend to look well on people who were "just following orders" when the orders are morally repugnant.

The issue with the video is that it has misunderstood how the Universe of 40K works, what people understand, and how Chaos interacts with it. If you watch to the end, you see how he just kinda gives the chaos gods a pass as "They are what they are, eh, whatcha gonna do?"

But, the thing he fails to characterize is that the Chaos gods in 40K exist and are real, and are intelligent, and are fundamental to reality and hate you. They aren't like, weather or an angry dog. They hate your existence. After you die, your very real immortal soul will almost certainly be consumed by them. Like, you can do a scientific experiment and prove your soul exists and that the Chaos gods want to eat it. They hate everything, and you can't get rid of them. In addition, different species have vastly different resilience to their corruption, and different value to them as food. They are a byproduct of the existence of life which is capable of being moral, and are themselves, fundamentally abhorrent to modern morality. They also mean that some species are literally better than other species, and humanity has no way to tell, and the only info they got was from the Emperor who told them "You lot are great, the other things out there? Most of them are awful. If you've got questions about that, only I can tell the difference between a good species and a bad one unfortunately"

He talks about the evils of government corruption and abuse of power, but, the universe of 40k is one in which freedom is absurdly dangerous. You can't have fair representative government reflecting the will of the people at a large scale, because thats too easy for chaos to fiddle with. What if it WAS true that there were evil and unknowable powers working behind the scenes to corrupt the masses? What if only true heroes could resist their tricks, and help others do the same? Well, then I guess we'd have to try and find 'great leaders' to rule us, and as through history we'd then end up finding good ones and bad ones, and the system based on them would tend towards corruption but, at least it would be good enough to mean we don't all get turned into chaos spawn.

40K presents the nightmare of 'what if your terrible beliefs were true, bad person. What would that be? What would that world look like'. The people in 40K are not fundamentally bad, the UNIVERSE is fundamentally bad. The Universe shows you the nightmare of bad ideas being true. It shows you what it would mean to have a world where dictatorship was the right choice. It shows you what it would mean to have a true and real hell, full of demons who hate you, and a capriscious and silent deity who only probably gives a shit about you. It shows you the nightmare of what it would mean to have a world where racism (speciesism here) was true and real. What if some races were just 'better' than others. What would that do to us? What would it mean if our neighbors really could be secretly plotting to kill us, and we had no way of knowing. What would that do to us.

Chaos creates and fosters these problems in 40K. It hates you, and creates itself FROM you. In 40K, only great heroes can lead despite this issue (what if the great leader theory was true? What would that do to us?), the Imperium before Gulliman had no great heroes who were willing to lead its body politic, only military heroes.

40K presents a satire of extrapolation. It shows all the fascists and authoritarians and rugged individualists of the world not an argument about how WRONG they are, it shows them the horror of the world we would face if they were right. The ends justifies the means, forever.

I mean I disagree with basically all of this. To me the big thing in 40k is none of what the Imperium does is justified, even in light of the horrible aspects of the universe, and basically everything they do actively makes it worse. Not only are democratic egalitarian societies possible, they're *more resistant* to chaos than fascist authoritarian ones, in particular because of how they lead to extremism and extremes of emotional states, which empowers chaos and makes people easier to corrupt.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

I’m assuming that a lot of shortages in many model ranges are the result of the releases of 10th and making sure there were enough Leviathan boxes out there.

And I imagine all the various starter boxes have been a priority as well.

I suspect once that spoke in demand and production happens, we’ll start to see stuff back in stock.

My mate has gotten back in this edition after being out for the last…..12-15 years. He was a Dark Angel player in 2nd edition and is keen on getting the hands on the Lion.

He’s also keen on LoV but he got put off by the stink of 9th but I imagine their 10 edition release with an expansion to the range might tempt him.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Is Leviathan limited? Or did GW just produce enough this time? I was in one of my LGS' today and they were stacked to the ceiling. I was kind of surprised. They did post a photo on release day with like 4x what they have now so it's not like it isn't selling.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    They went absolutely crazy producing Leviathan boxes to not be caught short. It's why there have been so many shortages of other models - all the production lines were shifted to crank out as many Leviathan boxes as possible to the detriment of everything else.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Is Leviathan limited? Or did GW just produce enough this time? I was in one of my LGS' today and they were stacked to the ceiling. I was kind of surprised. They did post a photo on release day with like 4x what they have now so it's not like it isn't selling.

There are plenty of leviathan boxes available at most retailers.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    My local GW store got like 20 Lions in when the mail got delivered Wednesday. There were 0 pre-orders for him.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Had a couple of games of 10th going in my group last night. General consensus is that it's currently in a pretty good place, is streamlined in the right ways and has the best "start of edition" feel we've had in a loooooong time.

We're all jaded af, so we are assuming it will inevitably collapse into a mess but we are going to enjoy it while it lasts.

It also helps that none of us are treating it too competitively or playing really bent units/armies. So far anyway :p

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Not only were they cranking out Leviathans, but there is also a brand new (well, not NEW new, but you know what I mean) game releasing next month, so they have likely been using a decent chunk of production time on that as well.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular

But I think the key part there is that they are to an extent aware of what they are and what their 'counterpart' is and they know if everyone started 'behaving' they would stop being themselves and that fact is a key aspect to their existence. So the past horrors of the universe made them, but they refuse to allow us to change our ways.

They don’t refuse. They just aren’t capable. Given the opportunity to get a bunch of people murdered, Khorne can’t say no. Papa Nurgle literally can’t not spread his gifts of disease. Tzeentch cannot say “nah, I’m good; let’s just tell everybody the plan today”. They’re not actually free-willed. They’re basically programmed by the emotions of the living and now just are…there. Doing their thing.

All of the mortal races (to include, perhaps dubiously, the Necrons), on the other hand, are able to make choices. The Orks can’t help fighting but they could not enslave and torture people if they wanted to. The Imperium could just not be xenophobic, genocidal, totalitarian, anti-intellectual theocratic slavers. The Tau could just stop absorbing or exterminating other races. Even in a universe where chaos gods are real and exerting their influence over mortals, the mortals can choose not to give in to temptation. There are tons of small factions and empires that show up in 40K lore who manage to have not-fuck-awful societies with advanced technology and diverse culture. They just get murdered by the big factions because the big factions will stop at no atrocity - to their own citizens or others - to enslave anyone they can and murder anyone they can’t.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Not only were they cranking out Leviathans, but there is also a brand new (well, not NEW new, but you know what I mean) game releasing next month, so they have likely been using a decent chunk of production time on that as well.

I know the market is now getting started with people parting out the box as I did get a bunch of neruogaunts and I would like to get some barb {and maybe another Von Ryan's} The space marine/primaris side is odd though as I am waiting to see as I do want to pick it up for my black templars but I am thinking about putting that army in the reserve again

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Tyranids are so easy to get into with Leviathan

Get a full Leviathan set.

Buy 40 more Termagants, 5 more Barbgaunts and 3 more Von Ryan’s Leapers via split boxes. That’s a pretty versatile list and clocks in at 825 points.

Just one monstrous creature of preference will bring it to 1000 points, and you have enough Termagants that you don’t need more expanding to 1500pts either, so you can just pick a few more things you like.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The big four are Defiance, Hope, Despair, and Acceptance. This is why the classic enmities are Khorne-Slaanesh and Tzeentch-Nurgle – they’re the true polar opposites. The real trick though is the Emperor sitting in the middle of the Wheel with his domain of Duty. Which straddles all four corners but doesn’t really fulfil any of them.

But yes, the reflection thing is really key to their whole existence, which is also the other reason the Emperor denied godhood; he wanted to retain his free will.

I'd consider Khorne and Slaanesh to be Brutality/Decadence.

Also recent lore has shifted somewhat but I always assumed that the Emperor got himself shoved into the Golden Throne because his soul getting devoured would be real bad and that the Imperial Cult wasn't strong enough yet for him to ascend. Retaining his free will doesn't entirely make sense - the major gods of Chaos have their own will, it's just that their natures force them to act in certain ways.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

They don’t refuse. They just aren’t capable. Given the opportunity to get a bunch of people murdered, Khorne can’t say no. Papa Nurgle literally can’t not spread his gifts of disease. Tzeentch cannot say “nah, I’m good; let’s just tell everybody the plan today”. They’re not actually free-willed. They’re basically programmed by the emotions of the living and now just are…there. Doing their thing.

All of the mortal races (to include, perhaps dubiously, the Necrons), on the other hand, are able to make choices. The Orks can’t help fighting but they could not enslave and torture people if they wanted to. The Imperium could just not be xenophobic, genocidal, totalitarian, anti-intellectual theocratic slavers. The Tau could just stop absorbing or exterminating other races. Even in a universe where chaos gods are real and exerting their influence over mortals, the mortals can choose not to give in to temptation. There are tons of small factions and empires that show up in 40K lore who manage to have not-fuck-awful societies with advanced technology and diverse culture. They just get murdered by the big factions because the big factions will stop at no atrocity - to their own citizens or others - to enslave anyone they can and murder anyone they can’t.

I disagree, the Chaos gods are shown as capricious and whimsical. They can make decisions. They are a fundamental part of reality, but they are ALSO intelligent and capable beings of such capacity that we can't understand what they hell they are doing or why. They aren't just a rabid dog. They understand you. They understand what makes you tick, better than you do.

The orks just straight up can't behave in a different way. There are no orks who don't abuse weaker beings, thats what being an ork is. Orks don't like do 'double slavery' for humans. All weaker species are enslaved and abused because thats what being an ork is. Its how you 'are' an Ork. (Making true the lie that cruel despots have that, "Our enemies are cruel and subhuman! Without morality or merit! They have no culture, and just live to fight! Its all they care about")

Let me put it this way, if the big factions are wrong, there is a superior and better way to run a galactic civilization, then where the hell is Noble Alien Starfleet to kick the hell out of the Imperium, banish the chaos gods and save the galaxy?

I find the classic interpretation of the setting (Look at the nightmare your ridiculous ideas would cause if they were true) is far more interesting than the alternate (everyone in the setting is an evil idiot)

• Options
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I'd consider Khorne and Slaanesh to be Brutality/Decadence.

Also recent lore has shifted somewhat but I always assumed that the Emperor got himself shoved into the Golden Throne because his soul getting devoured would be real bad and that the Imperial Cult wasn't strong enough yet for him to ascend. Retaining his free will doesn't entirely make sense - the major gods of Chaos have their own will, it's just that their natures force them to act in certain ways.

My perspective is that when the gods 'ascend' they lurch towards an aspect of their own behavior and 'zone' depending on the state of the warp at the time. All the previous ones have been awful, and the Emperor is 'worried' that he will become the Chaos God of Slavery, when he would prefer to be the Chaos God of Duty.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Finally building the Screamer Killer. Holy shit this thing is an absolute chungus. Technically it's as tall as an upright Carnifex, maybe slightly taller, but everything about it is bulkier. It's definitely wider.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Finally building the Screamer Killer. Holy shit this thing is an absolute chungus. Technically it's as tall as an upright Carnifex, maybe slightly taller, but everything about it is bulkier. It's definitely wider.

When I show it to my brother he said that is huge
    But when I showed him the prime he remarked how tiny it was smaller than a warrior

• Options
    Really makes me hope the general release model has Old One Eye and Stonecrusher parts. It's a fantastic base model for those.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    I've wanted a 3d printer for nearly a decade, but cost and detail always seemed prohibitive. But now cost isn't a (large) factor, and detail seems good. Anyone have recommendations for someone new to printing, but many years of 3d modeling? 1k is probably my hard limit

I bought an Elegoo Mars 2 as my first printer and it's been extremely user friendly so I'd recommend something in that series.

What do you want to print? If it's minis or bits for minis you'll want resin, if it's terrain or things that need to be big and sturdy you'll want an fdm printer.

Apparently there's a sale on Elegoo, I'm thinking about grabbing the Saturn 8k. It's ~330 right now, which is definitely in my budget.

I'm slightly worried about hearing that resin printers need a well ventilated space though. If the setup doesn't take too long, I should be able to use it.

I'd love to print some mortars and sponsons for my IG tho

Edit: bought it YOLO

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    I've wanted a 3d printer for nearly a decade, but cost and detail always seemed prohibitive. But now cost isn't a (large) factor, and detail seems good. Anyone have recommendations for someone new to printing, but many years of 3d modeling? 1k is probably my hard limit

I bought an Elegoo Mars 2 as my first printer and it's been extremely user friendly so I'd recommend something in that series.

What do you want to print? If it's minis or bits for minis you'll want resin, if it's terrain or things that need to be big and sturdy you'll want an fdm printer.

Apparently there's a sale on Elegoo, I'm thinking about grabbing the Saturn 8k. It's ~330 right now, which is definitely in my budget.

I'm slightly worried about hearing that resin printers need a well ventilated space though. If the setup doesn't take too long, I should be able to use it.

I'd love to print some mortars and sponsons for my IG tho

Edit: bought it YOLO

Well ventilated space is definitely needed, plus good gloves and ideally a respirator. While it's running I found a couple of open windows enough, but when you pop the cover off it reeks.

Also keep it well out of sunlight, the cover isn't enough to stop the sun curing resin in the vat

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    The Saturn 8k does comes with an air filter and that does help a bunch but stud don’t have the room closed up.

• Options
    Neurotyrant wins the award for the most obnoxious new Tyranid to build.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Tyranids won Oghram, for those waiting to see who's getting previewed today before watching.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    srlxes6e439h.png
    It's a dual kit with the Biovore
    0gx8e57msk5y.png

fe46ajncyv9k.png
    :neutral: I wanted the dimachaeron or a bio titan instead

Brainleech on
  • Options
    New Lictor heavily inspired by the 2E Lictor.

• Options
    Norn Emmisary looks fucking sick.

I want one now.

• Options
    Sigh guess I am buying more Termgants
    qac6sbgp67lw.png
    3r09o13qvwo0.png

The genestealers look nice even though I only have a handful of them
    hgq3th556xp9.png
    there are even enough betentacled Ymgarl heads included to outfit the whole unit, a nod to the mysterious variant first encountered on the moons of Ymgarl.
    eto1l0n45b2r.png

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Spike Rifles and Stranglewebs combing back is something I did not expect.

Also the new Genestealers are not the same design as the Purestrains in Deathwatch Overkill. I wonder if they will get their own box?

Looks like that's a box of 10, Purestrains are in squads of 5 or10.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Spike Rifles and Stranglewebs combing back is something I did not expect.

Also the new Genestealers are not the same design as the Purestrains in Deathwatch Overkill. I wonder if they will get their own box?

Looks like that's a box of 10, Purestrains are in squads of 5 or10.

I bought some of the spike rifles recently but I have no idea where I put them I am curious about it and the strangleweb as they only showed off one in each so it is only one per box '
    THe new Hormagaunts look nice though but do I really want to get more? {I have 100}

This discussion has been closed.