Options

10th Edition is Go! [40k]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Maybe abusing units that get bonuses to it? Like Hive Guard having a 24" 4+ Overwatch bubble when they're babysitting an objective, 5+ if they want to fire Indirect?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The overwatch changes make flamers hard counters to fragile melee infantry and big units like Knights get a tremendous benefit from being able to effectively gain a second shooting phase. Yeah, they're hitting on 6s but with the amount of guns that some models have - or rules like Strands of Fate that allow you to auto-hit - that's not quite as large a drawback as you might expect.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    New overwatch also allows you to use it at both the start and end of a movement or the start or end of a charge.

Old overwatch was only at the start of a charge, and only by the charge target.

So its both harder to avoid and much more available.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Start and end of sort of movement that's within 24" of the unit. Throw in that there's still a fair number of rerolls on tap for various armies and it can be rough. Towering doesn't help things either.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have a dumb fucking question.

I have searched the Internet and not found satisfying answers.

I apologize for the shitfest this might start.

What the fuck do Chaos Space Marines eat? And I'm willing to accept that different factions likely have different needs, like Plague Marines probably need something different than Rubric Marines (who maybe don't need anything?). But I'm mostly curious because I gotta know, like, what the fuck do these fuckers eat, to sustain themselves? Does the Warp just sustain them? Do cultists bring them food? What do the cultists eat?

I'm also kinda curious because if they need food supplies then I assume there's also a food supply line, and that's kinda interesting to consider what with them being Chaos and all.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

What the fuck do Chaos Space Marines eat? And I'm willing to accept that different factions likely have different needs, like Plague Marines probably need something different than Rubric Marines (who maybe don't need anything?). But I'm mostly curious because I gotta know, like, what the fuck do these fuckers eat, to sustain themselves? Does the Warp just sustain them? Do cultists bring them food? What do the cultists eat?

I'm also kinda curious because if they need food supplies then I assume there's also a food supply line, and that's kinda interesting to consider what with them being Chaos and all.

Marines in general don't need a lot of food and can eat basically anything including like rocks. That is true even for non-chaos marines. Magic metabolism is magic.

But from like the novels and stuff most of the CSM ships still have like hydroponics bays and such. You get food the old fashion way, growing it. Raiding and getting rations. Probably a bit of cannibalism. Marines actually get part of a creatures memory if they eat them so its a good way to get intel.

Also the more gone marines like Rubrics as they are just dust so they don't eat. Plague marines probably don't need to but will for like intel. Stuff that are part daemon or all daemon of course are just part of the warp.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Marines in general don't need a lot of food and can eat basically anything including like rocks. That is true even for non-chaos marines. Magic metabolism is magic.

But from like the novels and stuff most of the CSM ships still have like hydroponics bays and such. You get food the old fashion way, growing it. Raiding and getting rations. Probably a bit of cannibalism. Marines actually get part of a creatures memory if they eat them so its a good way to get intel.

Also the more gone marines like Rubrics as they are just dust so they don't eat. Plague marines probably don't need to but will for like intel. Stuff that are part daemon or all daemon of course are just part of the warp.

Wait, WHAT?!?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Wait, WHAT?!?

Yup, Space Marines are weird and evil.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular

1. Babies
    2. End of list

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Taco Bell.

Each Strike Cruiser has one franchise. Really wild how the Yum Brand CEO got that contract signed with the Emperor right before the Heresy kicked off.

Battle Barges and Fortress Monasteries have a combined Taco Bell/Pizza Hut.

Chaos Marine ships have Hardees. Not even good ones. Like the the ones with one person working the kitchen at 1 am and the bathrooms are closed. The soda machines are out or syrup.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

1. Babies
    2. End of list

'He said, "I am the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells Chaplain!'"

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    You should not accept an invitation to dinner with the Kroot, though.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    The ship Lorgar sent into the Eye of Terror got jumped back in time like 6 months or something, which is how long it took them to fly back out of the Eye on their limping engines. That was long enough for the (not-yet-full-on-Chaos-) marines aboard to turn to eating the dead non-marine crew, drinking raw promethium, and finally killing and eating one another. So they do get hangry eventually.

Space Wolves apparently drink a mixture of basically blood and jet fuel, when they're not eating raw meat. I could see chaos marines who are away from their designated Taco Bell and who are fresh out of babies falling back on something like that.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Monwyn wrote: »
    Best placing for AdMech at Tacoma was 177th. Woof.

a lot of the fragile armies like sisters and admech are completely and utterly shit on because
    a. eldar and gsc are wildly broken and destroy them
    and b. overwatch is presently way WAY too strong

How is overwatch too strong? I've felt like it has been fine so far but I may be using it wrong.

Overwatch itself is fine-ish, the problem is combining it with full rerolls and Lethal Hits/Devastating Wounds

Eldar in particular get completely ridiculous on this front because they don't really care that it requires a six to hit

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

a lot of the fragile armies like sisters and admech are completely and utterly shit on because

How is overwatch too strong? I've felt like it has been fine so far but I may be using it wrong.

Overwatch itself is fine-ish, the problem is combining it with full rerolls and Lethal Hits/Devastating Wounds

Eldar in particular get completely ridiculous on this front because they don't really care that it requires a six to hit

Yea in combat patrol even its really Strong with them being able to generate 4+ OW and being guaranteed to hit.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Marines in general don't need a lot of food and can eat basically anything including like rocks. That is true even for non-chaos marines. Magic metabolism is magic...

I know this is true but I hate it. I’m okay with Marines having the metabolism that can break down basically any organic compounds, but how are they making nutrients out of silica? And how are they moving so much mass around without insane calorific needs?

Ultimately I know the answer is “because it doesn’t matter for the fantasy to work”, but thinking about these kinds of logistical problems are actually fascinating to me. Would Marines be able to conserve energy outside of combat and training by becoming extremely lethargic like sloths? Does the suit life support function give them injections of whatever food breaks down into (it’s been too long since my last biology class), or is there a feed tube in there somewhere? Are some of those packs and cylinders on their kit just big tubs of food paste?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Marines in general don't need a lot of food and can eat basically anything including like rocks. That is true even for non-chaos marines. Magic metabolism is magic...

I know this is true but I hate it. I’m okay with Marines having the metabolism that can break down basically any organic compounds, but how are they making nutrients out of silica? And how are they moving so much mass around without insane calorific needs?

Ultimately I know the answer is “because it doesn’t matter for the fantasy to work”, but thinking about these kinds of logistical problems are actually fascinating to me. Would Marines be able to conserve energy outside of combat and training by becoming extremely lethargic like sloths? Does the suit life support function give them injections of whatever food breaks down into (it’s been too long since my last biology class), or is there a feed tube in there somewhere? Are some of those packs and cylinders on their kit just big tubs of food paste?

They can enter a kind of hibernation/coma state to recover from otherwise-fatal injuries, so you'd think they could voluntarily (or via some chemicals) shut themselves down into that state if they can't get food. But those dudes in the Eye of Terror seem to indicate otherwise.

The whole eating rocks thing doesn't really make any sense. Even if they had an organ that could convert matter directly into energy, that energy's gotta get turned into ATP and shit to actually fuel their bodies, to say nothing of needing calcium and proteins and amino acids to recover from injuries. They're mostly still human meat. But given that they can apparently metabolize almost anything, they probably just sip some of whatever fuel their suits run on rather than having dedicated nutrient containers in addition to powering the armor.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

They can enter a kind of hibernation/coma state to recover from otherwise-fatal injuries, so you'd think they could voluntarily (or via some chemicals) shut themselves down into that state if they can't get food. But those dudes in the Eye of Terror seem to indicate otherwise.

The whole eating rocks thing doesn't really make any sense. Even if they had an organ that could convert matter directly into energy, that energy's gotta get turned into ATP and shit to actually fuel their bodies, to say nothing of needing calcium and proteins and amino acids to recover from injuries. They're mostly still human meat. But given that they can apparently metabolize almost anything, they probably just sip some of whatever fuel their suits run on rather than having dedicated nutrient containers in addition to powering the armor.

Vore fetish.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular

I think the "real" lore by the guys who wrote out all the original organs is exactly that, they can eat plants and other organic materials that other animals can subsist on but humans, and then anything you read in a Black Library book where a space marine eats rocks or whatever is some author being a bit silly.

The original gene-seed lore always felt pretty fun and sensible and Space Marines were "only" 7 feet tall, more recent lore and anything to do with Primarchs just gets dumb and dumber IMO.

I know some people really like those Horus Heresy books but IMO it'd be better if that all remained a history halfway indistinguishable from myth and legend.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    As long as they are in the warp, they have infinite resources.

Its once they leave the warp that whatever was created in the warp begins to vanish.

So no real need for supply lines.

One of Tzeench grand plans is to try and find a way to convert the ethereal into the material to allow the immaterium to conquer the galaxy.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023

I played in an event last weekend and my opponent moved a ravager so it could see my Avatar.

I just used a fate dice on overwatch to get not just one hit, but the d3 sustained too, which promptly blew the ravager up.

Then I walked out of LOS of the rest of his army.

Eldar are dumb.

Norgoth on
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Started putting together my black templar crusaders. This is definitely not a beginner army. 6 separate subs for the sword brother.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck. Dark Angels start looking real good once you begin putting the decals on them. All the symbols really pop against the dark green armor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Fuck. Dark Angels start looking real good once you begin putting the decals on them. All the symbols really pop against the dark green armor.

Speaking of decals i finally dug into my leviathan box and sent you the DA ones. You should hopefully get them this week!

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm surprised a mod hasn't come in grumbling yet. I think this is the longest I've seen the thread stretch on for.

Large threads used to legitimately fuck with forum databases back in the day. Now its not really a technology issue so much as its a lot easier to follow or jump into a thread if it gets remade every once in a while. Some forums don't ever do this, and you'll see generals with 4,000+ pages or whatever, and while its kind of cool to be able to easily go back and see what was being talked about several years ago it is a bit more intimidating.
    Taco Bell.

Taco Bell was the only restaurant to survive the Horus Heresy.

Now all restaurants are Taco Bell.

Enjoy-joy your meal, Battle Brother.

• Options
    “I’d like two-corpsewrap supremes, a cheesy Gordita corpsestarch, a shredded corpsestarch mini quesadilla, and, uh, do you still do that thing where it’s a burrito wrapped in a quesadilla?”

“That would be our corpsestarch quesarito.”

“Yeah one of those too.”

“Does that complete your order? Would you like anything to drink?”

“A Mountain Dew.”

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Woah, they're still using actual corpsestarch at your location? In my Hive's franchise it's been long replaced by HFCS, high fallout corpsestarch substitute.

• Options
    Gonna be honest, even in the GrimDark future of the 41st Millennium, I don't think Taco Bell uses real corpsestarch.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I’m curious about this too. Yeah the extra flexibility to use it during movement is nice but it’s still only once/turn.

Using it during movement, especially on say a wraithknight or knight castellan, is obscenely powerful and means that any movement within 24” of the enemy can possibly just get you deleted.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Gonna be honest, even in the GrimDark future of the 41st Millennium, I don't think Taco Bell uses real corpsestarch.

Probably still sand.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm surprised a mod hasn't come in grumbling yet. I think this is the longest I've seen the thread stretch on for.

Large threads used to legitimately fuck with forum databases back in the day. Now its not really a technology issue so much as its a lot easier to follow or jump into a thread if it gets remade every once in a while. Some forums don't ever do this, and you'll see generals with 4,000+ pages or whatever, and while its kind of cool to be able to easily go back and see what was being talked about several years ago it is a bit more intimidating.

Yeah I know all that but when this thread exceeds 100 pages we usually have Echo or someone come in and glower at everyone before locking it.

• Options
    Tyranid colors. I’m pretty sure I’m doing black skin. For the armor I’m thinking either purple or yellowish orange.

Opinions?

• Options
    Tyranid colors. I’m pretty sure I’m doing black skin. For the armor I’m thinking either purple or yellowish orange.

Opinions?

I'd go yellow/orange for the contrast.

• Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Hive Fleet Klendathu

https://youtu.be/PpTjohCedYw

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    AspectVoid wrote: »

I'm glad that link has a special mention of the Blood Angels (and how the overactive Omophagea is where the Red Thirst stems from).

I like that (pre-Sanguinius) the IXth were known as the Revenant Legion, as they were a brutal assault legion that took a lot of casualties (along the lines of the War Hounds and Iron Warriors). And so to get the new recruits up to speed... they'd just have them eat the fallen of the previous battles. (Which sometimes included taking on their name and gear, along with their knowledge.)

LordSolarMacharius on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/18/legions-imperialis-the-epic-history-of-small-scale-warhammer/

Look at all the stuff you got in the old Epic boxes!

I know, there are two warhounds in the new box, but like a dozen rhinos and a bunch of terrain would've been pretty nice.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    We started tabletop gaming with Titan Legions.

My brother came home from school with a white dwarf he borrowed from a friend and I saw the Emperor Titan, thought it was going to be like 3’ tall and wanted it.

I was more than a little disappointed it wasn’t 3’ tall. I was only 9, in my defence.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    We started tabletop gaming with Titan Legions.

My brother came home from school with a white dwarf he borrowed from a friend and I saw the Emperor Titan, thought it was going to be like 3’ tall and wanted it.

I was more than a little disappointed it wasn’t 3’ tall. I was only 9, in my defence.

There's someone on dakkadakka who's building a 28 mm scale warlord titan. Let's just say it's substantially taller than 3 ft.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I remember seeing Space Marine [the one with the bare handed dark angel art I was in awe of back then} in a beat up dusty box when I first got 40k
    I knew of someone who got the epic 40k edition to turn it into travel 40k. He had a folding flocked board he had cork or something with the models on pins as he would replace the stuff under every tour because he talked about what a mistake it was to glue it in the first time. As one of the people who played with him made fun of how he basically got people in Japan into it way back then

• Options
    So I finished all the Leviathan marines but it is wayyyyy to humid out to varnish them, which I need to do to finish off the 'ardcoat over the decals. No idea when it'll drop enough for me to do it.

Guess it is on to the nids.

This discussion has been closed.