As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Thread: Where’s my hog?!

JimothyJimothy Not in front of the foxhe's with the owlRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
Super Smash Brothers Brawl

Here is where we will discuss the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Brawl, in development for the Wii, debuting sometime this year. Discuss possibilities for characters, stages, items, etc.

As you know, Snake of Metal Gear fame is to be featured in this one. With the inclusion of third-party characters for the first time, this increases the pool of possible characters considerably. Still, there are some guidelines put out by Sakurai, the game's director, on his Japanese site. Last year Sakurai allowed Japanese fans to send in character and music suggestions, as well as ask questions about the game. SamuraiPanda's translations of these letters and responses can be found here:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=72642

A few guidelines on character discussion:

--There will be about 1-2 more third-party characters. Don't expect too many. Also, they must have appeared on a Nintendo console before.

--Characters must be game characters. No anime dudes, Darth Vader, etc.

--All characters are being completely redone from the ground up. This doesn't mean that returning favorites won't play the same as before, but they aren't letting tradition hold them back. This is not Melee +.

--It is likely that not all characters will return. This is apparently a matter of great argument. I don't see why this is hard to believe at all-- Koopa was in SMK, but not its sequel, MK64. Characters not transferring over is not unprecedented.

--There is no evidence that only clones will be cut, or that all clones will be cut. Sakurai specifically mentioned that some may remain to get new movesets.

Confirmed characters:
Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus*
Zero Suit Samus*
Pit
Meta Knight
Wario
Snake
Fox
Zelda

*combo character

Stages:
Battlefield
Delfino Plaza
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Shadow Moses
Mario Circuit
Angel Land
Halberd
Pokemon Stadium
Some FE castle

Items:
Smash Ball
Nintendog
Gooey Bomb
Super Scope
Cracker Launcher
Pokeball
Crates and Barrels
Banana Peel

Pokemon:
Groudon
Goldeen
Chikorita

Also, some pretty cool people are making music for this game:http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/music/music01.html

There will be four methods of controlling the game, so choose your favorite:

Wii Remote (on its side)
Wii Remote + Nunchuk
Classic Controller
GameCube controller

Sakurai will now be updating the site every weekday. So be sure to check smashbros.com periodically.

Jimothy on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Great thread. Lets get to posting ladies and gentlemen!

urahonky on
  • Options
    FawfulFawful __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I like this thread better.

So, on with the discussion: does Samus shift costumes like Zelda/Sheik or some other way? Please enlighten me (I'm serious, I wanna know).

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh man, I wants me some smashin' brawlin' action now, not in X months!

Anyway, do we know what the nintendog does, other than block the screen?
    I'm assuming it's not a player character, as it would automatically win from being too cute to hit...

Also, shouldn't the OP make some mention of Final Smashes? They look like being a pretty big/awesome mechanic...
    EDIT: Fawful, Samus is apparently going to change form via her Final Smash, which is currently thought to be that titanic charge-shot that filled the screen in the original video...

PS, are you (Jimothy) going to keep the OP updated? Like a compilation of the week's news every Saturday or something?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Today's update -
    mball01_070605a.jpg

When you throw a Poké Ball in Smash, a Pokémon of some sort will appear and come to your aid.

mball01_070605b-l.jpg

Pick up and throw the Poké Ball…

mball01_070605c-l.jpg

A Pokémon appears!

mball01_070605d-l.jpg
    Then it attacks anything in its path!

Mmm. They’re quite reliable. But you never know which Pokémon is inside a Poké Ball.

Of course, having this particular Pokémon appear at the most critical of times is in keeping with Murphy’s Law.

mball01_070605e-l.jpg
    Goldeen, Goldeen, Goldeen, Goldeen, Goldeen…

mball02_070605a.jpg

This is the Pokémon that appeared on the packaging for Pokémon Ruby. Its bright red body is quite striking.

mball02_070605b-l.jpg

Groudon appears!

mball02_070605c-l.jpg

It… It’s HUGE!

It's always hot to the touch.

It won’t harm the player who called it, though, so use that to your advantage.

mball02_070605d-l.jpg

Hot! Hot! HOTTT!

I wanted to see some D/P Pokemon. And why is Goldeen always the pathetic one that can't attack? It should totally be Magikarp.

bruin on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Where has it ever been said that ZSS and regular Samus are a combo character? I thought it was specifically stated that they are seperate entities?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Where has it ever been said that ZSS and regular Samus are a combo character? I thought it was specifically stated that they are seperate entities?

We don't know either way I'm pretty sure. Some people think that after you use Samus' final smash she turns into Zero Suit Samus, because that's what happened in the first trailer. I kind of think they're going to be seperate though.

bruin on
  • Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I heard some small kids talking about this game the other day:

"Hey, did you hear about the new Super Smash Brothers?"

"Yeah! I heard you can be cupid and it's only going to be for playstation 2!"

I thought it would be weird to go up to them and tell them how retarded they were.

Food on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I thought it was "out with the clones"? Doesn't that automatically make her a combo character?

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Today's update -
    I wanted to see some D/P Pokemon. And why is Goldeen always the pathetic one that can't attack? It should totally be Magikarp.

I completely agree, but I think the reason they chose Goldeen for that role is because in the second episode of the anime Misty throws a Poké Ball with a Goldeen that just flops around on the floor.

Peewi on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

The original Smash site, before the blog started, had profiles of all the revealed characters. For Zero Suit Samus, it said (paraphrased): "This is not a pure character addition. Under certain circumstances, Samus will remove her suit." Take that as you will.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Also, shouldn't the OP make some mention of Final Smashes? They look like being a pretty big/awesome mechanic...

PS, are you (Jimothy) going to keep the OP updated? Like a compilation of the week's news every Saturday or something?

I'll update it every weekday, provided I get the chance to use the computer, and provided it's substantial enough. Pit's moveset, for instance, is not something I would update for.

As for Final Smashes, I guess I just didn't want the OP to be too long, so I only mentioned the Smash Ball. Is that something I should include? If so, how-- just list the names (we only have one, but we have at least two others unnamed) or should I include a brief description of the Final Smash?

I am also kind of ticked that Goldeen is the useless Pokemon, and not Magikarp.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    According to Wiki (so take it with a grain of salt):
    Screenshots reveal Samus to be playable with or without her Power Suit, the latter dubbed "Zero Suit Samus".

They claim to be using the old Smash Bros. for the quote.

While this doesn't negate that she could be a combo character, it would imply that Samus would not be Suitless post Final-Smash.

Kor on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

We don't know either way I'm pretty sure. Some people think that after you use Samus' final smash she turns into Zero Suit Samus, because that's what happened in the first trailer. I kind of think they're going to be seperate though.

I hope they are going to be seperate with completely different move sets and everything. I could be wrong, but didn't ZSS's gun only stun her enemies?

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Fawful wrote: »
    I thought it was "out with the clones"? Doesn't that automatically make her a combo character?
    Looks to me like Zero Suit Samus wouldn't be a clone of Samus at all. Doesn't look like they'd share any attacks or move the same way.

edit - beat'd kind of

bruin on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

Hardly, Removing her suit means, No Power Beam, No Missles, and most likely no Bombs. The Screw Attack is questionable.

Considering they are giving her something close to a whip, I can't imagine ZSS resembling Vanilla Samus much.

edit - beat'd kind of

>.> yeah... same here. :(

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    OP updated with a Pokemon section, similar to Sakurai's.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Looking at ZSS's storyline and gameplay in Zero Mission, I hope they'll include a sneaking mini- or sidegame or event featuring her and Snake, all stealth-gameplay of course. ZSS and Snake as a stealth duo like the Avengers or Sydney and Vaugh from Alias, that would be awesome.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Looking at ZSS's storyline and gameplay in Zero Mission, I hope they'll include a sneaking mini- or sidegame or event featuring her and Snake, all stealth-gameplay of course. ZSS and Snake as a stealth duo like the Avengers or Sydney and Vaugh from Alias, that would be awesome.

Or, if nothing else, an Event that puts gives both of them a everlasting cloaking device, where you must destroy both of them. :P

Kor on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Never thought of that. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun as a multiplayer side game, or just as one of the off type of battles. First to the objective wins.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    The biggest mystery to me about Brawl still is the crawling mechanic. I just can't figure out how it's going to work its way into the gameplay, we haven't seen enough of it in trailers I guess. I hope we get an update on it one of these days.

bruin on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Goldeen will do nothing, right?

Right?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PotU wrote: »
    Goldeen will do nothing, right?

Right?

Why would they make it do anything? I even think the update says it doesn't do anything.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    pikmin_battery.jpg

I'm also hoping for a Pikmin level, a la "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" (awesome movie btw).

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    pikmin_battery.jpg

I'm also hoping for a Pikmin level, a la "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" (awesome movie btw).

Wow. A Pikmin level would be hot.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm still hoping Olimar + Pikmin will be playable, it would be awesome the there's a few interesting ways it could be implemented. For example, he could generate Pikmin over the course of the battle, using them for special attacks and losing some when he gets hit. Plus I want to see Bowser pinned down by 100 red Pikmin and then headbutted in the groin by a tiny spaceman.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Olimar needs to be in this game.

I figure each Pikmin could be a different projectile attack. Yellow could either be a third jump, electric attack, or bomb attack. Blue and red would operate the same, I guess, so they could be random. White would be poison, and purple a power attack, or the Final Smash. Or maybe his Final Smash could be 100 random Pikmin.

Animal Crossing is another new franchise that demands representation. Either Nook (my vote) or Resetti, as long as he's unlocked by resetting the game, as suggested in the last thread.

Custom Robo and Tingle are other new franchises that could work.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I would guess Olimar/something from Pikmin would be a fairly strong bet for inclusion into this game, especially since it's one of Ninty's wholly new IPs in a while. Not to mention it got a sequel.

But I'm choosing not to get my hopes up.

Edit: yeah, if Olimar were playable and he got to huck Pikmin at people, that would be wonderful.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really interested in what all the super smash moves will be and whether they will be seemless or involve some sort of short cutscene. Hopefully the former.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hardly, Removing her suit means, No Power Beam, No Missles, and most likely no Bombs. The Screw Attack is questionable.

In the second trailer, it shows ZSS jumping through the air in two different ways: the first way shown is what I feel is her second jump, while the second way (her normal jump) is shown in battle.

Also PLEASE bring back N64 intros.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    Animal Crossing is another new franchise that demands representation. Either Nook (my vote) or Resetti, as long as he's unlocked by resetting the game, as suggested in the last thread.

Oh man that is solid gold.

*Player pushes reset button*

"CHALLENGER APPROACHES!"

And then Mr. Risetti's sinister silhouette slowly fading in...

It sends chills down my spine just thinking about it. People say Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill is scary, but Mr. Resetti is obviously the scariest videogame character of all time.

Fawful on
    hytd.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

In the second trailer, it shows ZSS jumping through the air in two different ways: the first way shown is what I feel is her second jump, while the second way (her normal jump) is shown in battle.

Doesn't the second trailer just show ZSS do a double jump? Of which couldn't be compared to the jumps of regular samus?

If I recall, ZSS jumps much higher than regular.

Kor on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »

MikeMan on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Doesn't the second trailer just show ZSS do a double jump? Of which couldn't be compared to the jumps of regular samus?

If I recall, ZSS jumps much higher than regular.

Well you see the second part of a double jump when her char is showcased, and then afterwards when there are skirmishes being shown, you can see her regular jump in both the first battle and the last one (sans Fox), along with her doing some sort of attack.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I could've sworn you see the full extent of her jump and double jump.

I remember someone making a diagram to show the peak of each arc, and how it varies from regular samus.

Kor on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maybe this was brought up in the old thread, but I want to know what is going on in this picture.

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060823080629822.jpg

I don't know exactly why, but the sheer outrageousness of this picture makes me really want to play this game.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think it's an item that covers the screen. Doesn't Blooper serve the same function in MKDS?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Pemulis wrote: »
    Maybe this was brought up in the old thread, but I want to know what is going on in this picture.

I don't know exactly why, but the sheer outrageousness of this picture makes me really want to play this game.

It appears to be an item that simply obscures the screen. Just like Cleafairy did with Metronome sometimes in Melee. Just not as intense.

Kor on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pemulis wrote: »

It appears to be an item that simply obscures the screen. Just like Cleafairy did with Metronome sometimes in Melee. Just much more wonderful.

Fixed.

"I'm going to beat your head in and put my foot up your ass... aww, look at the cute widdle doggie!"

More fighting games need a puppy break.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, I assumed it was the nintendog equivalent of a pokeball or something.

I think maybe that image will get my wife to let me buy the game. ;-) She thinks nintendogs are cute.
    Nintendo Dogs in the Queue!

Pemulis on
  • Options
    MenaceMenace regular
    edited June 2007
    what were the N64 intros?

I don't sem to recall

Menace on