Options

Super Smash Thread: Where’s my hog?!

• Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well what they could do is make a plat saying that in the Pikmen world they created a device that made Olimar and the Pikmen grow to human size

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    plot*

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Actually, you know what I would like? Olimar and 100 Pikmin as a single character, made to scale. Unless the camera zooms in, it'd look more like a multi-colored blob with a glowy ball floating above it.

The Pikmin could all latch together and form a body, with Olimar as the head.

When he gets hit Pikmin go flying off the body, but the body quickly reforms. That would be awesome.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Unfortunately, I know people who will play this game, and only play as Wario, and only because of the fart attacks. Sigh.

commathe on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    commathe wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I know people who will play this game, and only play as Wario, and only because of the fart attacks. Sigh.

I think you need to spend less time at the local middle school.

Aydr on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jimothy wrote: »
    The original Smash site, before the blog started, had profiles of all the revealed characters. For Zero Suit Samus, it said (paraphrased): "This is not a pure character addition. Under certain circumstances, Samus will remove her suit." Take that as you will.

I take it to mean that Samus is a whore?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    kedinik wrote: »
    Jimothy wrote: »
    The original Smash site, before the blog started, had profiles of all the revealed characters. For Zero Suit Samus, it said (paraphrased): "This is not a pure character addition. Under certain circumstances, Samus will remove her suit." Take that as you will.

I take it to mean that Samus is a whore?
    Space is a cold, dark, and lonely place. Samus just likes to get a little luvin' when she can - is all.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Phil316Phil316 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    since starcraft was on the n64 i'd like to see some Zerg in ssbb

Phil316 on
    americanfootballsigdi0.jpg
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    THIS JUST IN: SSB:B will involve recovery

Is the distance Mario covers with his Up+B as long as it looks?

Also, the scenery in Battlefield looks really nice.

Zek on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Worst. Update. Ever.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Mario's up-b recovery always seemed to have a big magnetic lock-on for the ledge in the first place, so I can't really tell..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    This new technique could put a whole new twist on smash strategy.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm really not sure what inspired him to make a dud entry like this. I mean, with precedent being set for updates as insignificant as individual pokemon, there's no shortage of material there. We still don't even have all the known character profiles. I can understand wanting to put the basics on the site, but that should be done in chunks.

Zek on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think this is better than the Yoshi's Story song. I wish they would just let Yoshi's Story die.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think this is better than the Yoshi's Story song. I wish they would just let Yoshi's Story die.

It lives on in our hearts.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here's the update for lazy people who don't want to go to the site itself.
    After an enemy sends you flying really far, it seems like all that’s left is for you to fall.
    But you must never give up hope!

basic03_070605a-l.jpg

You’ve been blasted! Just aim for solid ground!

basic03_070605b-l.jpg

This is when you use your midair jump!

basic03_070605c-l.jpg

Then your Up Special Move to rise up!

basic03_070605d-l.jpg

Whoa. Safe at last.
    If recovering is a technique, then there must also be techniques to guard against recovery. Fierce aerial battles often rule the match!

Pretty uh, boring. I'm just glad we're getting new screens every day, even when they don't show anything new.

bruin on
  • Options
    Zealous OneZealous One Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seems like the latest update is pretty lackluster compared to previous ones. Oh well...

Although one thing worth noting is that Mario seems to be recovering from one hell of a long fall by "Melee standards," assuming those screenshots are the same occurrence. Maybe Mario's recovery is better now (or everyone's in general)?

Zealous One on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pretty screenies though.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seems like the latest update is pretty lackluster compared to previous ones. Oh well...

Although one thing worth noting is that Mario seems to be recovering from one hell of a long fall by "Melee standards," assuming those screenshots are the same occurrence. Maybe Mario's recovery is better now (or everyone's in general)?

Well they have been describing Mario as a jump master so who knows..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You all do realize that Smash Bros. will be a late holiday release right? Five updates a week for five months is a serious amount of content. Who cares if there is one substandard one? Besides, take a closer look at all the pictures; it really looks nice.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah, that's about 50% longer of a distance for Mario to be recovering from both vertically and horizontally compared to Melee.

I'm thinking they may have increased the "grab on" distance of the ledges.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's an update every day. How anybody can be not happy with that I really don't know. Sure today's wasn't anything groundbreaking but we got some new screenshots.

It's the perfect way to keep interest going up to release if you ask me.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ardentlyardently Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think the update is trying to hint that there will be more off-edge fighting, as in jumping after your opponent to finish him off mid-air will be a really viable strategy, even more so than in melee.

ardently on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ardently wrote: »
    I think the update is trying to hint that there will be more off-edge fighting, as in jumping after your opponent to finish him off mid-air will be a really viable strategy, even more so than in melee.

Yes, the "Fierce aerial battles often rule the match!" line got me pretty hyped. SSBM has a lot of normal A-attacking/C-sticking, but SSB was more about aerial battles and special moves. I liked that, and I'd be happy if we go back to jumping everywhere trying to hit others with powerful techniques, rather than just punching and kicking around.

Djiem on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So meh, grabbing ledges, not the greatest announcement. Ahh well.

Did anyone happen to notice how big the fuckin pokeball was from yesterday? Look at the screenshot of Fox throwing one, its about half his size.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to notice how big the fuckin pokeball was from yesterday? Look at the screenshot of Fox throwing one, its about half his size.

It's just because of the perspective from which the screencap was taken.

At least I hope that's the case. Otherwise this Nintendog will eat us all.

super-smash-bros-brawl-20060823080629822.jpg

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I think its partially perspective, but the pokeball doesn't seem that far away from fox to be thrown off by it.

You can use that line in the background to see the angle of the camera.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    These are in development shots. It's really not beyond possibilty that they upped the pokeball size by 200% in order to emphasise it in that picture. The same could be said of the distances Mario jumps for the recovery.

Anyone wanting to draw hard and fast conclusions about the final game from any shot or video available now is being a mite bit foolish.

It is fun to speculate but let's not go over the top now.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I didn't realize "Wow, that pokeball is huge" was going over the top... >.>

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    It wasn't. I was warning against the future.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Ahh.

Well, I guess thats what happens when the update doesn't leave much room for discussion? :P

Kor on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Based on the huge distance mario covers doing his jump + upper cut coupled with the fact that you can shoot things like the super scope while jumping, my conclusion is thus:

Aerial hijinks ahoy!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Here is something worth speculation.

What do you guys think might change about Master or Crazy Hand? Do you think they'll add a 3rd limb to the mix?

Kor on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Based on the huge distance mario covers doing his jump + upper cut coupled with the fact that you can shoot things like the super scope while jumping, my conclusion is thus:

Aerial hijinks ahoy!

Huzzah!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

What do you guys think might change about Master or Crazy Hand? Do you think they'll add a 3rd limb to the mix?

How about a full fledged person in the background, with the hands and arms being the fighters? Miyamoto, perhaps, battling with his creations?

I'm not saying this is what's gonna happen (in fact, I know it's not), but that'd rock ass.

Or maybe your own Mii?

Djiem on
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

They could add a Master...wait, that would definitely land it an M rating, probably an AO.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »
    Or maybe your own Mii?

That right there is an excellent idea. Giant Mii head hovering over the level and laughing manically as the hands smash you to pieces.

Also I'd love Miis to be usable as fighters in game, maybe using a range of Wii sports based moves.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Or maybe your own Mii?

That right there is an excellent idea. Giant Mii head hovering over the level and laughing manically as the hands smash you to pieces.

Also I'd love Miis to be usable as fighters in game, maybe using a range of Wii sports based moves.

That would be awesome. I always got the impression that the games were actually some kid playing with Nintendo themed action figures and it was all some elaborate imagined fight. It would be great to put a body to the puppet master in the form of a Mii.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Moorening wrote: »
    Or maybe your own Mii?

That would be awesome. I always got the impression that the games were actually some kid playing with Nintendo themed action figures and it was all some elaborate imagined fight. It would be great to put a body to the puppet master in the form of a Mii.

I'm predicting a 100 Mii Melee mini-game.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Moorening wrote: »
    I always got the impression that the games were actually some kid playing with Nintendo themed action figures and it was all some elaborate imagined fight.

Well, the intro to the original SSB really shows that. The hand navigate in a kid's bedroom and suddenly, when it clicks his fingers, action figures come to life and the things like a pencil or such on the desk become obstacles.

Djiem on