As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ONLY post in this thread if the day in the usa is thursday

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    The thread title says we're only allowed to post in this thread if it's Thursday in the USA, but look at all those other threads people are posting in on this Thursday in the USA.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mods need to take action

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    For the record I would not recommend posting in the Thursday thread on a non-Thursday.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Mods need to take action

Looking into this.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    🤔

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Has Friday the 13th ever happened on a Thursday

once yeah

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

once yeah

Huge if true

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023

once yeah

Linguistically, for it to be Friday the 13th on a Thursday, that's just Thursday the 12th.

Now, in Nuclear physics terms, it depends on what the half life of Thursday is. Is there a notable amount of Thursdayness that runs over into Friday the 13th?

Given that mod warnings were handed out to Friday posts, either the half life is very short; or we have an instance where the science doesn't match the common understanding of ra-day-oacitve decay.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

no

shut up

i hate you

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Does every Friday the 13th happen on a Friday the 13th?

I feel like 4 at very least takes place just like a couple days after 3, I don't think it could conceivably be Friday the 13th again already

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

This sounds like a great question for Thursday Trivia!

No.

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Thursday the 12th, the prequel

Nothing happens, just a mother and her son having a nice day at the lake

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Freaky Friday the 13th

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    When Friday the 13th begins it's still Thursday in other parts of the planet.

Is Friday the 13th restricted by timezones?

It seems unlikely to me.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

no

shut up

i hate you

I'm just asking questions

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    what the fuck is your problem?

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    gentlefolks, please, find the spirit of Thursday within your hearts and cease this conflict

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's Thursday the 8th right now.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Huge if true

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Crazy to think that there have only been 8 Thursdays so far, but here we are

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    The Old English word "Þūnresdæg" is composed of two parts: "Þūnre" and "dæg." "Þūnre" is derived from the Old Norse word "Þórr," which means "Thor," and "dæg" means "day."

In Norse mythology, Thor was a powerful god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, and strength. He was considered the protector of gods and humans against giants and other adversaries. Thor's character was so significant in Norse culture that dedicating a day of the week to him was quite common.

When the Norse language and culture influenced the Old English language during the Viking Age (approximately 793 to 1066 CE), the name of the fifth day of the week was adopted from the Norse tradition. This resulted in "Þūnresdæg," meaning "Thor's day."

With the evolution of the English language over time, including changes in pronunciation and spelling, "Þūnresdæg" transformed into "Thunresday," "Thundersday," and eventually "Thursday." The name "Thursday" has been widely used in English-speaking countries to refer to the fifth day of the week since the Middle Ages.

It's worth noting that other Germanic languages also have similar names for Thursday, often associated with the god Thor. For example, in German, it is "Donnerstag" (meaning "thunder's day"), and in Dutch, it is "Donderdag" (also meaning "thunder's day"). These names reflect the shared linguistic and mythological heritage of these cultures.

The French word for Thursday, "Jeudi," has different origins compared to the English word "Thursday".

The word "Jeudi" in French comes from the Latin phrase "Jovis dies," which means "day of Jupiter." In Roman mythology, Jupiter (or Jove) was the king of the gods and the god of the sky and thunder, similar to the Norse god Thor. The Romans associated Thursday with Jupiter, and this association continued into the French language.

Over time, "Jovis dies" evolved into "Juesdius" in Old French, and eventually became "Jeudi" in modern French.

The Roman week was based on a seven-day cycle, with each day named after a celestial body or a god. However, the Vikings did not have a consistent seven-day week like the Romans. Instead, they used a calendar based on lunar cycles and had divisions of time based on weeks of irregular lengths.

It is challenging to establish direct evidence for any specific Roman influence on the association of both Jupiter with Thursday and Thor with Thursday in the modern 7-day week. The historical records from the time are limited, and the evolution of calendars and linguistic developments are complex processes influenced by multiple factors. While Roman influence and cultural exchange could have played a role in shaping the association of "day of Jupiter" and "Thor's Day" with the same day in the modern 7-day week, it remains a subject of theory and speculation without definitive evidence.

all credit and blame for the above goes to ChatGPT

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I woke up and thought it was Wednesday.

Last wednesday I though it was Friday

Never do I think it is Thursday

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    best part about Thursday? not Wednesday.

worst part about Thursday? not Friday.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Thursday is officially better

I walked down the street to an Italian sandwich shop where an aggrieved Italian man in a dimly lit room filled with boxes of canned tomatoes made me an incredible sausage and rapini sandwich where everything was made from scratch (including the sausage)

There was no music, just the whirring of the fridge and this guy throwing things in a pan and also complaining about how Italian Week is being ruined after 50 years and how kids don't want to work these days

He said ciao on my way out and we exchanged names and now I have a social link with an old Italian sandwich proprietor, perfect experience

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Cello wrote: »
    Thursday is officially better

I walked down the street to an Italian sandwich shop where an aggrieved Italian man in a dimly lit room filled with boxes of canned tomatoes made me an incredible sausage and rapini sandwich where everything was made from scratch (including the sausage)

There was no music, just the whirring of the fridge and this guy throwing things in a pan and also complaining about how Italian Week is being ruined after 50 years and how kids don't want to work these days

He said ciao on my way out and we exchanged names and now I have a social link with an old Italian sandwich proprietor, perfect experience

you must guard this with your life, it is a non renewable resource

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I got told my hours are getting cut again.....

So anyone know any good sawdust soup recipes?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Jokerman wrote: »

No, but Cello might know an Italian guy looking for kids willing to work for sandwiches

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Pretty cool Thursday

I'm currently pooping outside

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    spono wrote: »
    Pretty cool Thursday

ah, a man's romance

• Options
    Ramius wrote: »

No, but Cello might know an Italian guy looking for kids willing to work for sandwiches

I don't get it but I hope to one day

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    God dammit, somebody's pooping in the parking lot again. Keep an eye on them, I'll get the hose.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    God dammit, somebody's pooping in the parking lot again. Keep an eye on them, I'll get the hose.

You say that like we could possibly take our eyes off of them.
    I mean, I shouldn't watch, but... That's just a lot of corn.

a lot ...

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular

An Italian man made me a sandwich today!! On this, a Thursday!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    dies Jovis ergo sum

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Thursday Trivia:

After this morning's discussion, I did a little research, and it turns out Friday the 13th has come on Thursday before. Three times, as a matter of fact.
    The first was before Friday the 13th was a thing, so it really didn't matter. The other two times, though, were portents of doom!

Once it happened just before the first Black Friday, which I think we can all agree means it sucked ass.
    The other time it happened, the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls debuted, which of you were around in the early 80s, you know that was a dark and foreboding time.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    spono wrote: »
    Pretty cool Thursday

ah, a man's romance

Rah, rah-ah-ah-ah
    Roma, roma-ma
    Gaga, ooh-la-la

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    I appreciate that the story in this thread is that spono is pooping in Jedoc's parking lot. Truly a tale for Thursday.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I've got a Thursday question.

Why is Asuka from Evangelion featured in Thursday content?

back in 2018 this gif:
    feliz-jueves.gif

was posted on some Spanish motivational/cute image Facebook group. If you don't know, that clip of Asuka running is from a scene in Evangelion where right after she is running like this (spoilers)
    she finds the corpse of her mother who has committed suicide
    People who knew found it hilarious, the admin of the page/creator of the gif didn't know what it was from, eventually she found out and deleted it but reposted it after everyone loved it. Ever since people celebrated Jueves with Asuka.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Cello wrote: »

An Italian man made me a sandwich today!! On this, a Thursday!

A hoagie? A grinder? A sub sandwich?

This discussion has been closed.