The 118th United States [Congress] Our long national nightmare comes to a beginning

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Central OhioRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Pretty telling that the GOP thinks that a rising young star in the party worthy of giving the rebuttal is Trump's former press secretary, famous for constant shameless lying, being a total asshole to the press, and being the daughter of a famous former Gov turned conservative TV host.

The last closest thing they had to a rising young star went from Vice Presidential hopeful, to apprehensive House Speaker, only to retire to corporate lobbying because he can't stand working with his own Tea Party brethren anymore.

I mean, his star sort of crashed when Biden slapped him around in the VP debates.

I do sometimes forget Biden taking him behind the woodshed was one of the biggest reasons Ryan ended up being seen as a drag instead of a boost.

One more Dark Brandon meme maybe, although I guess as terrible as he was Ryan being the GOP standard bearer would be less worse somehow?

Edit - oh and the Screech weight room glam shots. Those were just sad.

The thing that broke me was him talking about how much he liked Rage Against the Machine.

Ultra white affluent dudes rocking out to Rage is super normal though. Nothing gets white dudes blood pumping like Morello's sick riffs myself included...

I understand this though, they are in an alternate reality and honestly believe the “democrats = paranoid authoritarian Hitler/Stalin” bullshit and thus naturally assumed RATM were libertarians railing against liberal big brother

Modern conservative “reality” is bad folklore handed down and misunderstood/misinterpreted to each successive generation of scared white people, and from the late 40s to Paul Ryan there were a few handoffs of anti-authoritarian myths between conservative generations that, to me, makes it easily understandable why he and those like him would think they were on the same side as RATM

l7ygmd1dd4p1.jpeg
    3b2y43dozpk3.jpeg
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Reagan and Born in the USA. Long tradition of Republicans not really comprehending song lyrics.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Pretty telling that the GOP thinks that a rising young star in the party worthy of giving the rebuttal is Trump's former press secretary, famous for constant shameless lying, being a total asshole to the press, and being the daughter of a famous former Gov turned conservative TV host.

The last closest thing they had to a rising young star went from Vice Presidential hopeful, to apprehensive House Speaker, only to retire to corporate lobbying because he can't stand working with his own Tea Party brethren anymore.

I mean, his star sort of crashed when Biden slapped him around in the VP debates.

I do sometimes forget Biden taking him behind the woodshed was one of the biggest reasons Ryan ended up being seen as a drag instead of a boost.

One more Dark Brandon meme maybe, although I guess as terrible as he was Ryan being the GOP standard bearer would be less worse somehow?

The thing that broke me was him talking about how much he liked Rage Against the Machine.

Ultra white affluent dudes rocking out to Rage is super normal though. Nothing gets white dudes blood pumping like Morello's sick riffs myself included...

I understand this though, they are in an alternate reality and honestly believe the “democrats = paranoid authoritarian Hitler/Stalin” bullshit and thus naturally assumed RATM were libertarians railing against liberal big brother

Modern conservative “reality” is bad folklore handed down and misunderstood/misinterpreted to each successive generation of scared white people, and from the late 40s to Paul Ryan there were a few handoffs of anti-authoritarian myths between conservative generations that, to me, makes it easily understandable why he and those like him would think they were on the same side as RATM

That bad folklore isn't at all compatible with A LOT of Rage's lyrics but considering Libertarians only half read anything I think your theory checks out. How on earth could a Tea Party nerd hear "Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses" or "See right through the red, white and blue disguise" and rock out to it? The same way boomers rocked out to "Born in the USA"; they didn't pay much attention to the important parts.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Central OhioRegistered User regular
    Because the KKK and “secret thought police” are dems

(They still don’t get how ideologies and party alignment have shifted through the nation’s history)

l7ygmd1dd4p1.jpeg
    3b2y43dozpk3.jpeg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I mean, I don't claim to be a huge fan or know their discography by heart, but I can see the appeal of "FUCK YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" while glossing over less convenient elements of a given track.

Yes, I know, we're talking about someone who claimed they were his favourite band while standing for pretty much the exact list of things they were against.

Just sayin', that shit is catchy.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It is always convenient to interpret things to suit your personal ideology. Even when the creator says otherwise.

You're muckin' with a G!

Do not engage the Watermelons.
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It is always convenient to interpret things to suit your personal ideology. Even when the Creator says otherwise.

Fixed that for you.

Bible, Constitution, RATM lyrics.

Wilful misinterpretation is par for the course.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I assume they're just being dumb and not fully listening and just think it's like, aggressive anti-government music and that's an idea they like without comprehending any of the specifics.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Yahoo News:

Boebert blaming Biden for COVID school closures. Small problem...

This person somehow got re-elected.

And where was Obama on 9/11?

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    So...

Fetterman was feeling lightheaded last night and checked into the hospital.
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/politics/john-fetterman-hospital-dc/index.html

And Angie Craig of Minnesota (House-D) was randomly mugged this morning.
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/politics/angie-craig-assault/index.html

I'm sure Republicans will treat this wi... Nah, they're being horrific ghouls about both.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Yahoo News:

Boebert blaming Biden for COVID school closures. Small problem...

This person somehow got re-elected.

And where was Obama on 9/11?

No no no, Obama was to blame for Hurricane Katrina. And the sub-prime crash.

Bill Clinton was to blame for 9/11.

Biden is to blame for COVID.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Somewhere in this country, a newborn is cooing in its mothers arms, unaware that it will someday be blamed for Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Tom Morello actually wrote an op-ed in Rolling Stone about it at the time: Tom Morello: ‘Paul Ryan Is the Embodiment of the Machine Our Music Rages Against’

Tom and Paul Ryan probably have a lot more in common these days then he would like. Awhile back Tom got really pissed one night when a popular café in Seattle wouldn't let him and his crew in after a show, went home and got on social media calling out the venue, accusing them of being anti-worker, rude staff, and a host of other petty shit. Turns out the owner of the place is pro worker, pays staff well, provides benefits, retirement, etc, and has worked to push these values forward in the food service industry. Kind of woke me up to the fact that Tom's politics seem to be little more than a gimmick. My dude also admitted in a Stern interview in 2020 that he's good friends with Ted Nugent.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Tom Morello actually wrote an op-ed in Rolling Stone about it at the time: Tom Morello: ‘Paul Ryan Is the Embodiment of the Machine Our Music Rages Against’

Tom and Paul Ryan probably have a lot more in common these days then he would like. Awhile back Tom got really pissed one night when a popular café in Seattle wouldn't let him and his crew in after a show, went home and got on social media calling out the venue, accusing them of being anti-worker, rude staff, and a host of other petty shit. Turns out the owner of the place is pro worker, pays staff well, provides benefits, retirement, etc, and has worked to push these values forward in the food service industry. Kind of woke me up to the fact that Tom's politics seem to be little more than a gimmick. My dude also admitted in a Stern interview in 2020 that he's good friends with Ted Nugent.

Paul Ryan's sins extend a little further than beefing with a cafe on the internet.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

I think they're just soulless monsters trying to ape having a personality. They don't truly like anything other power and the exercise of it. Music that genuinely speaks to their souls would be something like baby seals being clubbed set to dishes being thrown down stairs.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

The guy's politics are good...for a man that went to Harvard.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm not sure how "man complains about bad experience at restaurant" reflects on anyone's politics.

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I'm not sure how "man complains about bad experience at restaurant" reflects on anyone's politics.

He accused the place of being anti-worker, with no evidence to back it up. It was a really bad look that he would just throw that out to win points on social media.

• LeeksLeeks Registered User regular

If I'm reading that right, I don't think "we won't stay open late for you" counts as a "bad experience at a restaurant". It is entitlement not being catered to, and then going full Karen about it. So crap behavior, but not quite Republican evil.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

He accused the place of being anti-worker, with no evidence to back it up. It was a really bad look that he would just throw that out to win points on social media.

Yes its poor behavior. Paul Ryan has a measurable body count.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg

Yeah, and? Like, he got mad at a place and yelled at them. It's rude and kinda crappy behaviour but that's about it.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, and? Like, he got mad at a place and yelled at them. It's rude and kinda crappy behaviour but that's about it.

Slander is a bit more than "yelled at"

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »

Slander is a bit more than "yelled at"

Not really. That's just pretty standard social media stupidity.

Also I think it might be libel if he used like twitter instead of tiktok or whatever.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Somewhere in this country, a newborn is cooing in its mothers arms, unaware that it will someday be blamed for Putin's invasion of Ukraine.

In the year 2090, going by current trends on presidential age.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    Some of those that post off topic
    Should really really try to stop it

Now please do what I tell ya
    NOW PLEASE DO WHAT I TELL YA

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think that was The 5 Point Café here in Seattle iirc

Morello was mad he had to wait for a table

At a place where you always have to wait for a table

5 Point is about as crusty as a crusty leftist dive bar gets.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Some of those that post off topic
    Should really really try to stop it

33d.gif

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    The fact that he's pointing upwards makes that kinda perfect.

Lovable scamp George Santos at it again

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/09/santos-charged-theft-2017-dog-breeders-00082091
    Santos told Bogosian, because he was involved in politics, he couldn’t have an outstanding charge against him. A week after their meeting, he went to Pennsylvania to address the warrant, and told prosecutors that he “worked for the S.E.C.,” successfully persuading them to drop the charges, she remembered him telling her after he returned.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/09/santos-charged-theft-2017-dog-breeders-00082091
    Santos told Bogosian, because he was involved in politics, he couldn’t have an outstanding charge against him. A week after their meeting, he went to Pennsylvania to address the warrant, and told prosecutors that he “worked for the S.E.C.,” successfully persuading them to drop the charges, she remembered him telling her after he returned.

Alright, not gonna lie, it's kind of impressive his bullshittery actually worked for once.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Alright, not gonna lie, it's kind of impressive his bullshittery actually worked for once.

I mean, has it not worked yet?

• Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    George Santos is the living embodiment of "can't stop, won't stop" and its awesome

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2023
    There's a part of me that wonders and dreads whether Santos, and Trump, and others yet to come are the future. Where they just lie about everything, all the time, and everyone knows it but no one ever does anything about it. :s

Commander Zoom on
    There's a part of me that wonders and dreads whether Santos, and Trump, and others yet to come are the future. Where they just lie about everything, all the time, and everyone knows it but no one ever does anything about it. :s

That was the Soviet Union

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Yep, and hooboy is the long term propaganda damage from that quite a thing to see.

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited February 2023

This is a cult thing. Everyone eventually knows the lies are lies, but they set it up so your status in the group depends on how much you’re willing to repeat the lie.

Just in our modern world with internet and mass media cult tactics that used to only work on small isolated groups can be taken up to national or international scales because you can convince people to self-isolate and detach from reality.

Edit: and as mentioned RE the Soviet Union this has always been the case where an authoritarian state has total control of the media, the difference now is that you can do it even in states where that isn’t the case. With social media you don’t need to take people to a ranch in the middle of nowhere Texas or institute a full foreign media blackout to isolate people and manipulate their reality, you just set up a TV channel and social media echo chamber and people will do it for you.

Jealous Deva on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited February 2023
    GOD DAMNIT WRONG THREAD

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Was? According to Russian sources, they are fighting a brave war to retake the Russian border from Ukraine by launching attacks against the border from within Ukraine.

Heffling wrote: »

Was? According to Russian sources, they are fighting a brave war to retake the Russian border from Ukraine by launching attacks against the border from within Ukraine.

We’ll, they’re not the Soviet Union anymore

At least, not officially

George Santos stole puppies from a dog breeder and sold them at an event for his fake pet charity in 2017

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/09/george-santos-was-charged-with-theft-in-dog-case.html

At this point I’m legitimately impressed by his work ethic. 👏

This discussion has been closed.