As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's the most narcissistic form of art?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Fine Arts - painting, sculpture, et cetera
    Honestly thought this was a cleverly-titled selfie thread

So, forums are the most narcissistic

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Other
    But what is the most narcissistic martial art?

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Probably Gracie Brazilian jiu jitsu

I can't think of any others off the top of my head that are named after a guy

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The answer is the WWF in 1993

https://youtu.be/wfQaDXOQMIo

Not great as gimmicks go

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Music
    Of the options not available, I’m going to say architecture—no profession is so obsessed with its own importance. Buildings are important, and most architects have nothing to do with them.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I want to explain my vote.

I don't think all fine arts are narcissistic, but I think the people that do the really fart-sniffy avant-garde stuff are entirely up their own asses. Regular paintings and sculptures and stuff are cool.

See this to me feels more like pretentious than narcissistic

Both can be true, naturally, but that's a distinction I would make

I might be wrong here, but I feel like pretentious art is like, the first step toward narcissistic art. Of course, I am the proverbial swine people don't give pearls to, so maybe I'm the one who doesn't understand things.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Theatre
    Most artists I know are completely not full of themselves and needs to be actively bullied into admitting that they do something beautiful and/or worthwhile

Maybe it's just musicians then. There are so few people that do the same thing I do that I actually enjoy spending time around. A whole lot of people up their own ass and another chunk up their own ass about not being up their own ass.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Theatre
    I voted theatre but oy because my choice: performance art, is not available and I think performance art is a kind of theatre? Maybe? My apologies to theatre people, I don't wish to degrade you with association with "performance art."

Whatever meaning performance art might convey, the main message is "look at me look at me".

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    But what is the most narcissistic martial art?

Aikido.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Theatre
    All of them can be both honest, earthy and authentic, and incredibly wanky

I think that theatre can come off as the most performatively wanky, maybe by its nature it is exuberant and, dare I say, theatrical? So maybe that one. But all are guilty of totally jizzing over themselves

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Movies
    Movies have the "old writer guy who's somehow attractive to younger women" plots of literature, the creator cameos of the fine arts, and the aforementioned obsession with its own industry

Plus Making Of features, like Heart of Darkness

You don't see books published with a tacked on appendix detailing how the author wrote the book or how the publisher chose the font

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    my friend is one of those narcissists where like, he doesn't think particularly highly of himself, but he still thinks he's streets ahead of everybody else, so he doesn't let a little self-doubt get in the way of his sense of superiority.

also I got my beard cut and it looks neat and good and I showed a girl and she didn't answer but fuck her, my mom said I was handsome.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I imagine all theatre people are just like Hugh Grant's character from Paddington 2

https://youtu.be/NhEF2zxpDWg

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Movies have the "old writer guy who's somehow attractive to younger women" plots of literature, the creator cameos of the fine arts, and the aforementioned obsession with its own industry

Plus Making Of features, like Heart of Darkness

You don't see books published with a tacked on appendix detailing how the author wrote the book or how the publisher chose the font
    This is funny to me because I literally just finished Nettle & Bone last night and at the end the author had a bit about how the book was written

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Movies
    Thinking about it, Pratchett ends some of his Discworld books for younger readers with a couple of paragraphs about which bits are inspired by real life stuff, but I don't count that because it's like informative end notes

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    What else could it be but theater, the medium that produced the one man show

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Other
    The long form youtube video essay.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Other
    Juggernut wrote: »

Close it up folks I think we've got a winner

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited January 2023

Long form YouTube video essay responding to someone else’s long form video essay critique of your earlier long form video essay

Tynnan on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I voted theatre but oy because my choice: performance art, is not available and I think performance art is a kind of theatre? Maybe? My apologies to theatre people, I don't wish to degrade you with association with "performance art."

Whatever meaning performance art might convey, the main message is "look at me look at me".

This is a real omission on my part, and I apologize for that

I love performance art (I'd put it about halfway between theatre arts and fine arts myself), but it definitely has a tendency towards navel gazing

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    I feel like YouTube video essays are on a lower tier because they’re produced in isolation

The truly narcissistic demand a physical audience

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That guy in shortbus who lays on his back and halfway flips over to try and suck himself off but doesnt quite get it but still spizzes all over his face

• Options
    That is the most narcissistic art

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Tribute videos

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

eOSWb1m.jpg

• Options
    That is a lot for less than 4 months. Dude needs to take a fuckin' chillaxative.

• Options
    LIVE: receiving sentencing in vietnam

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Videogames
    Posting

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Music
    Close toss up between music and fine arts, the only art forms which have had the entire history of human existence to really percolate a fine sense of narcissism.

Ultimately I gave it to music because if I don't want to see fine art I just don't go to a gallery/museum. Narcissistic songs force themselves to be heard by getting played on the radio and such.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    Other
    Podcasters

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Theatre
    I voted Theater, but really I just imagine it to have the most narcissists based on virtually no evidence.

Fortunately, I’m right a staggering percentage if the time.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

eOSWb1m.jpg

that one guy who's gimmick is "as a millionaire" and has the same type of vlogs

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Theatre
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

This is a real omission on my part, and I apologize for that

I love performance art (I'd put it about halfway between theatre arts and fine arts myself), but it definitely has a tendency towards navel gazing
    I'm definitely biased as most of my exposure to it is videos of a person screaming or doing something weird or disgusting in a public space. But that's more to do with that kind of performance being more likely to be videoed than other performance art and more likely to be shared as prime internet fodder.

A form of performance art that I think is really cool, but also is often accused of being narcissistic would be body building. Literally turning yourself into a work of art. And unlike those cringe public performances, very few people could honestly say that they think it is lazy or lacks craft.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    My partner has noted that I left off stand up comedy, which is a real fault on my part

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    that's because it's not art ha ha got em

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Most artists I know are completely not full of themselves and needs to be actively bullied into admitting that they do something beautiful and/or worthwhile

A project isn't done until I hate it and never want to try to do art ever again because I'm a club handed idiot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Movies
    You people think theatre is narcissistic? Movies are made about the making of movies all the fucking time. Say what you will about the stage, but at least the singing and dancing is good.

• Options
    Don't they also make plays about the making of plays?

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    One!

singular sensation
    on Broadway
    Enh, Hollywood is way more masturbatory. Theatre tends to be self-loathing (which, honestly, can be a form of narcissism.)

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg