As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I remember getting as far as, like...the second adult stage? I was 5 or 6, it's been a while.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023

Why is a modern game like this for the olds?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

Not sure if you can't see the Twitter embed or if this is a joke about the SNES Lion King game being 'not that long ago'.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Kamar wrote: »

Not sure if you can't see the Twitter embed or if this is a joke about the SNES Lion King game being 'not that long ago'.

Option 2 - the SNES is a modern console

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Option 2 - the SNES is a modern console

eb9bvkqirr1t.png

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The SNES is a modern console in the same sense that TS Eliot is a modern poet

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Personally, it was this:
    he2wdpnl9ybl.png

Still is.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Pssh, how likely are you to be eaten by a Grue?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

You're posting on an internet forum. We're all olds here.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

This is still, to this day, one of the hardest fucking games I've ever played that absolutely 100% doesn't look like a nightmare hellscape of difficult bullshit.

Those fucking monkeys.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options

You're posting on an internet forum. We're all olds here.

I like to think of myself as being early in the first century of my first millennium, basically a newborn.

...barring that, I'm not old, I'm only 33, I've got at least one more year before I'm old.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

God, that game was fucking *mean*.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Holy shit…

Installed Elden ring on my (somewhat at this point) new laptop, running a laptop 4080 at 2560x1600 (basically 1440p extended, which I don’t think matters with elden ring because it seems to letterbox down to 1440p regardless ).

Anyway, had disappointing results so I was fiddling with resolution and settings, was getting tons of stuttering and frame drops, even when dropping down settings to low and resolution down to whatever the 1080p 16:10 equivalent was (which again elden ring letterboxes to 16:9). Couldn’t get shit to work, when just on a lark I changed from the full screen mode that it seemed to be in by default to borderless windowed.

Holy shit massive improvement…. Like getting 60fps with only very rare slowdowns on max settings on 2560x1600 Setting a couple of options down to high instead of max gives locked 60fps.

Anyone else run into this? There seems to be some kind of massive issue with full screen rendering, which is fixed or bypassed by doing a native resolution borderless window.

Could at least be something to try if anyone else is still having problems. Seemed to be a 40+ fps increase in bottom 5% fps for me.

This may be really old news at this point but I haven’t really seen a ton of stuff about this online when I was looking.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Holy shit…

Installed Elden ring on my (somewhat at this point) new laptop, running a laptop 4080 at 2560x1600 (basically 1440p extended, which I don’t think matters with elden ring because it seems to letterbox down to 1440p regardless ).

Anyway, had disappointing results so I was fiddling with resolution and settings, was getting tons of stuttering and frame drops, even when dropping down settings to low and resolution down to whatever the 1080p 16:10 equivalent was (which again elden ring letterboxes to 16:9). Couldn’t get shit to work, when just on a lark I changed from the full screen mode that it seemed to be in by default to borderless windowed.

Holy shit massive improvement…. Like getting 60fps with only very rare slowdowns on max settings on 2560x1600 Setting a couple of options down to high instead of max gives locked 60fps.

Anyone else run into this? There seems to be some kind of massive issue with full screen rendering, which is fixed or bypassed by doing a native resolution borderless window.

Could at least be something to try if anyone else is still having problems. Seemed to be a 40+ fps increase in bottom 5% fps for me.

This may be really old news at this point but I haven’t really seen a ton of stuff about this online when I was looking.

I know when I was playing early on on PC there were massive-to-medium hangs at times, and stuttering every so often, with a lot of "guesses" at how to fix it, but nothing concrete. Good to know that borderless windowed my be my way to go.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Holy shit…

I know when I was playing early on on PC there were massive-to-medium hangs at times, and stuttering every so often, with a lot of "guesses" at how to fix it, but nothing concrete. Good to know that borderless windowed my be my way to go.

Yeah I looked into it, some people were reporting the opposite (while some people reported results like mine), so it seems like elden ring is just a very touchy and finicky game. I thought it might be placebo from shader loading but going back to full screen seems to slow right back down. I even thought it might be trying to use my integrated card in fullscreen for some reason but checking it that doesn’t seem to be the case.

*shrug*

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fullscreen may also have Raytracing enabled, which doesn't work in Windowed Fullscreen?

• Options
    It doesn’t seem to be enabled in the settings, unless its somehow not disabling it fully when you turn it off?

• Options
    I'm so glad Elden Ring has good mod support. And that it's trivial to repurpose pretty much any asset for another weapon/comparably sized armor without any special knowledge, including assets from DS3.

72pbg3ehx39z.png

Golem Halberd and Banished Knight Set as The Big Rooty Sword From The Round Table and Fallen Knight Set (DS3).

• Options
    Mohg The Omen may not be the hardest boss in the game, but he remains the most unreadable for me.

I will fight him and eat literally every single attack he throws, despite knowing all of his moves and knowing, knowing, KNOWING that his reach is ALWAYS longer than I think with his long arms and full extension swings...

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Started a character with the goal of doing everything and getting platinum, since I know I've kind of streamlined my runs and haven't touched certain catacombs even once. I have a mod for marking every single item with markers on the map, and I've just been systematically clearing zones.

It's kind of wild how many little things I've missed in the past or have only seen like once, even in the early areas.

Also, running Arcane/Faith using the Forked Hatchet reskinned with the Celebrant's Sickle, it looks a lot better without giving me extra reach.

gp24wf5iscio.png

Kamar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I need to look into a good alternative Arcane/Faith weapon to Reduvia myself. It's served me well, but now that I have good incantations its niche is becoming increasingly less useful.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »
    I need to look into a good alternative Arcane/Faith weapon to Reduvia myself. It's served me well, but now that I have good incantations its niche is becoming increasingly less useful.

Bloody Helice (arcane scaling heavy thrusting sword with bleed), Flamberge (one or power stanced) as Occult (good damage, long greatsword with innate bleed), or Regalia of Eochaid (arcane straight sword with the Bell Hunter moveset) are good. Generic good weapons work well as occult, i.e. bandit's curved sword. Oh, and Great Stars is a good arcane scaling bleed warhammer, for something even more different from Reduvia.

TBH I think Arcane/Faith might be the most versatile build in the game, pretty much anything works alright as Occult, plus you get the dragon and bleed spells, and your normal incantation scaling is barely behind pure faith.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    If you have more arcane than faith, executioner sword or regalia of eochaid are pretty rad. If more faith than arcane, try the halo scythe. Hits like a truck and has bleed on it.

Also, if you go to NG+, grab a second dragon communion seal for your offhand. They stack.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Somehow I'm always shocked by how busted clubs are in these games, even though I know they're good (sillyness intentionally correlates with power in Miyazaki games, I suspect).

Started hammer character, farmed the spiked club for bleed from the big guy in the coastal cave then went and farmed the stone club first thing on a new character (battlemage up by the church of rot). It's trivializing everything.

Modded the appearance to the weathered sword for aesthetic, which I think actually gives me worse reach, but it doesn't matter and I like the idea of a pure strength character with a busted old sword they just smash into enemies with full force.

I think I might enjoy a warhammer skinned as a greatsword for the same reason, thinking about it. Though that might actually give an unfair advantage, since I'd imagine they mostly have more reach, I'll have to check.

Kamar on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    man i do not like small hammers at all in elden ring

maces are some of my favorite weapons in DeS and DS2, and they're pretty good in 1 and 3, but elden ring didn't give 'em shit. they're straight swords with less reach and bad movesets

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Somehow I'm always shocked by how busted clubs are in these games, even though I know they're good (sillyness intentionally correlates with power in Miyazaki games, I suspect).

Started hammer character, farmed the spiked club for bleed from the big guy in the coastal cave then went and farmed the stone club first thing on a new character (battlemage up by the church of rot). It's trivializing everything.

Modded the appearance to the weathered sword for aesthetic, which I think actually gives me worse reach, but it doesn't matter and I like the idea of a pure strength character with a busted old sword they just smash into enemies with full force.

I think I might enjoy a warhammer skinned as a greatsword for the same reason, thinking about it. Though that might actually give an unfair advantage, since I'd imagine they mostly have more reach, I'll have to check.

Reach is based on weapon appearance rather than just being something that's softcoded into the weapon stats? That surprises me, do they actually use the full model as the hitbox or something?

• Options
    edited September 2023
    They substantially outdamage straight swords 1h or 2h, though straight swords are better to duel wield (99 str 10 dex 2h against all 100 defenses, heavy 2h broadsword is the highest dps a single straight sword can have though some split damage weapons might have higher total AR and do more on a particular boss depending on defenses).
    h0ny14ah6jry.png

They also have jumping and charged attacks that apply stance damage equal to a much bigger weapon (just behind colossal hammers). Same for their poisethrough multiplier.

Of course, if we're tiering weapons on DPS, nothing competes with curved swords, period. Full heavy with 13 dex to equip Bandit's, and Curved Swords tie for 1h and 2h damage and obliterate everything else for power stance (except daggers, which give up reach and suck early on because of flat defenses, and spears, which is just weird since spears kinda underperform otherwise).
    udjox1izjluw.png

Hammers also perform better against defenses, with higher ARs hitting less often, than either kind of sword (strike isn't inherently much better against the hardest bosses of the game, though it's broadly more useful).

Kamar on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I know last time I played the character that just rolled the game for me was a dual spiked clubs bleed build, mixing in some incantations. Just thump things to death and be able to pull out some nasty spells as needed.

Can't remember what I used as the weapon art, though I know I stayed away from sepku because it was too much of a pain to maintain.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Reach is based on weapon appearance rather than just being something that's softcoded into the weapon stats? That surprises me, do they actually use the full model as the hitbox or something?

Yup, that's how it works, and it's definitely weird.

• Options
    Went and cooked up a nice goofy example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JWKM9-tyXw

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I know last time I played the character that just rolled the game for me was a dual spiked clubs bleed build, mixing in some incantations. Just thump things to death and be able to pull out some nasty spells as needed.

Can't remember what I used as the weapon art, though I know I stayed away from sepku because it was too much of a pain to maintain.

Bloodflame blade probably. And Flame Grant Me Strength. That is what I used. There is more you can do like the swapping helmets for madness and poison buffs etc with seppuku but man that is a lot of work for buffing heh.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Bloodflame blade probably. And Flame Grant Me Strength. That is what I used. There is more you can do like the swapping helmets for madness and poison buffs etc with seppuku but man that is a lot of work for buffing heh.

Pretty sure it wasnt either of those. I mean i could reinstall elden ring and find out, but eeehhh. I know in general i did not like weapon buffs on weapons (at least ones like Seppuku, it was just Too Much Effort).

Actually IIRC, i just used Quick Step - this was back before it got nerfed, but i suspect it'd still be good - gave you that much more mobility and let you get in close and begin the thumpin'

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

You only really need to do stuff like that if you're after one-shot challenges or speed runs I think. I remember on my pyro build Golden Vow and F,GMS paired with Giant's Seal were more than enough to waste any boss.

• Options
    VontreVontre Registered User regular

Yup, that's how it works, and it's definitely weird.

... why is it weird? It's an animation driven game, the hitbox should match up to the visual model almost exactly, excusing some tolerance for optimization by simplifying the collision bounds.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah you can definitely list a weapon's range/reach as a stat, but you can't really easily code it that way since reach/range is directly related to the weapon model's hitbox

you could code range as a value that adjusts the scale of the model - a fine solution for modders but not really the way you'd want to do it as the actual dev, you'd much rather adjust the model directly for art/design consistency/quality

• Options
    I guess I'd have expected hitboxes and reach to be manually tweaked for balance and/or to feel better than what's strictly accurate.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    they definitely do that to a certain degree, but it's pretty important to the feel of a game for hitboxes to be somewhat close to what the player sees (and is usually managed by adjusting hitboxes directly instead of using a separate numerical value)

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Having some direct experience with this, it feels a lot better if the reach and profile of the weapon matches what it actually looks like visually than not.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Having some direct experience with this, it feels a lot better if the reach and profile of the weapon matches what it actually looks like visually than not.

I'm mostly thinking of the many smaller weapons in the game that can't consistently hit certain mobs because their hitboxes are too accurate to the model.

Though I suppose the solution there that doesn't bork PvP is to make enemy hitboxes oversized.