As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Elden Ring] Thread - Shadow of the Erdtree Announced!

1192021222325»

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think the surprise is less that the game devs want weapon hitboxes to more or less match their models, and more that they actually packaged them together such that swapping the model also carries its hitbox. Like I'd have assumed that among other things, weapons would have a hitbox attribute and a model attribute, but it seems like they have just a model attribute and that model attribute also contains a hitbox attribute. Or somesuch.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I guess it's one of those things I just take for granted as someone who works in games and does a bit of hobby game dev myself, but yeah the model is what players see and the hitbox is what the game sees, they're technically separate but pretty much always come as a connected pair

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Marais Executioner's Sword as the model for Great Stars looks and feels amazing.

To be honest, I think hammers of all sizes (and great axes, to a lesser extent) have my favorite movesets in these games, but I hate the way they look. Being able to fix weapons where the only thing bothering me was appearance has breathed a lot into the game for me (I guess that's obvious from me constantly posting about it).

I think this game would have benefited a lot from a bit more of this baseline, it wouldn't have been hard to have a few more weapons with a moveset loaned from another weapon class, even if they didn't want to have too much variety within a specific weapon type (RIP vertical UGSs).

Kamar on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm still just mad they didn't bring back the Bone Fists from DS2. Those things were such a blast and had such an in-depth Moveset. So many mix-ups, and it always felt good when you landed the diving kick to punt someone

The fact that they were especially good at Counter attacks made them really fun, doubly so if you used the slow but Stompy two hand Moveset

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh my god, how is it that I only heard about seamless co-op until last weekend? This was my number one ask for the game, to have a proper co-op mode and after playing it, it's so god damn FUN.

2nd playthrough now starts.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    There are also a few really promising conversion mods out there.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've been going through seamless co-op with my best friend, and it's been great fun. I'm doing shield only and he's slowly but steadily transitioning to ranged incantations only. Works well together, and we've been clearing plenty of side content to grab all our various upgrades.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Have there been any updates as to when the DLC might be coming?

Since the announcement I mean

Last I heard was “late 2023/early 2024” which is a little vague

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Have there been any updates as to when the DLC might be coming?

Since the announcement I mean

Last I heard was “late 2023/early 2024” which is a little vague

Nah.

But it's been a year and a half, so whatever they're cooking up is probably gonna' be pretty awesome.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    might hear something at TGS now that AC6 is out

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Playing through the Haligtree on my Erdsteel Dagger/faith build, it's truly horrifying to me to think that people play entire Soulsborne games, sometimes even multiple, without learning to just run past things.

I guess I'd think these games were brutally punishing too, if I though I had to, for example, rekill my way through half a dozen revenants and a pack of scarlet crystallians to get my runes back.

(of course, I just had the camera jerk around a corner and drop me to my death coming around the edge of a pillar on the way back, so there goes a quarter million runes to the realest threat: gravity)

On a related thought, it's kind of interesting how FromSoft is willing to let a certain category of elite normal enemies be like straight up busted compared to bosses, since you can run past them or find a specific weakness or get lucky since they don't tend to have unreasonable amounts of health. Big Cats and the Beast Skeleton things in Dark Souls, the pus of man enemies in DS3, Revenants in ER, etc. None of them are impossible to fight fair in melee, but they're fuckier than any boss (barring, like, Waterfowl Dance, I guess).

edit: Unrelated, I bet Malenia difficulty for a player/build is just 1:1 correlated with the quality of jump attacks for your weapon. Her AI doesn't do much about them, but obviously you're going to be pelting her for an hour if you have, say, a dagger. But the vast majority of her windows don't allow ANY second attack, even from a dagger, without a risk of a punish that negates all the recent damage, meaning any weapon that gets dps from fast attacks and doesn't stagger hard or do strong single hits cranks the difficulty drastically.

I guess I could just eye beam her to death since she doesn't dodge it, but I think I'll see if I can overcome the wall the hard way without getting irritated first.

double edit: I am cursed to get at least a few perfect point blank dodges of WFD in my attempts of this fight...but have a laughably inept near-death when I actually make the kill and clip it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD1tbRv7oK4

Kamar on
  • Options
    I'm doing my Stormveil thing (lvl 40 smurf that exists only to help folks clear the castle and all its bosses) and for the first time in - not an exaggeration - around 500 takedowns of Godrick, he never grafted the dragon head onto his arm today.

Usually he'll stagger shortly or immediately after the second phase starts, but it was almost like the animation to begin the second phase and the stagger occurred at the same moment, and by doing the stagger attack I like... locked him out of the second phase animation.

I kept on expecting it to start, but he just let us take him down to 0 without ever entering the second phase. Easy!

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Hopefully the play that you were running with wasn't on their first playthrough and attempt, and so didn't totally miss out on that altogether. It's a pretty ridiculous/silly/fun moment.

• Options
    Yeah if that was their first time they're in for a rude awakening on their next toon lol

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    I'm doing my Stormveil thing (lvl 40 smurf that exists only to help folks clear the castle and all its bosses) and for the first time in - not an exaggeration - around 500 takedowns of Godrick, he never grafted the dragon head onto his arm today.

Usually he'll stagger shortly or immediately after the second phase starts, but it was almost like the animation to begin the second phase and the stagger occurred at the same moment, and by doing the stagger attack I like... locked him out of the second phase animation.

I kept on expecting it to start, but he just let us take him down to 0 without ever entering the second phase. Easy!

doing that phase skip on purpose is part of the speedrun strat for godrick IIRC

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Chance wrote: »

doing that phase skip on purpose is part of the speedrun strat for godrick IIRC

I don't know if they fixed it, but all of the obnoxious giant root worm bosses that there's way too many of can have their ai broken if they stagger as they're changing phases - it fucks up things switching over, and they just sit there and let you beat them to death

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I couldn't resist, it's gorgeous:
    dser7i2gwfg4.png

Hopefully I won't need V2, it says this one covers all the NPCs and story stuff..

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    He credited the tabletop role-playing game RuneQuest, and the novels The Lord of the Rings and The Eternal Champion as inspirations for the game's story.

I didn't make the connection between Runequest and Elden Ring but now I've read that it's instantly clear. Not just the obvious runes = magic stuff but the flavour of the world and the sense of competing cults/factions. The Eternal Champion stuff feels a bit clearer: I can see Elric riding through Caelid pretty easily.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I never read the Moorcock books. I wonder if they hold up.

I'm *really* hoping we get some Shadow of the Erdtree announcements this month. I just bought ER for PS5 and I'm enjoying playing it on my TV, and it just reminded me that I'm really pumped for a thing I know almost nothing about. But I'm also trying not to burn myself out on the game before the DLC drops. I want to start a fresh character rather than go into NG+

Another random thought: I really hope the DLC introduces some reasons to go into NG+. ER did a really bad job incentivizing going through the various NG+ levels. Most of previous souls games had new items you could pick up. And Armored Core 6 has this incredibly elaborate NG+ structure that reveals a lot of additional story and items. Makes the state of ER's NG+ more disappointing. So I'm hoping the DLC introduces some content that makes advancing to the next NG level worthwhile.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve