Options

The [Weather] Thread: Your guess is as good as mine.

1101112131416»

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ah spring. The season of... ah, wait. Winter storm warnings? It's SPRING.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    my boss is also from New England and we were talking about winter weather on the west coast

“These soft folks don’t know about wintry mix.”

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    my boss is also from New England and we were talking about winter weather on the west coast

“These soft folks don’t know about wintry mix.”

Wintry mix is the worst weather. That mix of sleet, freezing rain, and snow that just makes everything coated in grease is terrifying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    Jesus Christ what a weekend to drive along lakes Erie and Ontario ::shudders from the safety of his home in Central Ohio, remembering not to ever again take a chance on visiting the Buffalo-Rochester in-laws anytime from October to May::

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    gdig46mxziie.png

Hell yeah, nothing like snuggling down to sleep with a stick of long-fuse dynamite. See you all at 3 AM!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 26
    Jedoc wrote: »
    gdig46mxziie.png

Hell yeah, nothing like snuggling down to sleep with a stick of long-fuse dynamite. See you all at 3 AM!

That storm just moved through here in southeast Nebraska/southwest Iowa, dragging multiple tornadoes and hail with it (tornado even hit the Omaha airport), once again proving that Oklahoma never sends us nice things.

Only got rain and hail in my immediate area, though, so I'm counting myself fortunate.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    My bad. I think we're going to try to keep it more to ourselves tomorrow, I'll see what I can do.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Weather twitter this morning is just a train of meteorologists posting balloon soundings and maps of Oklahoma along with comments in the vein of "Oh fuck oh Christ oh no"

Seems fine.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Here's the current NOAA forecast about the system https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0538.html
    9a8wvc3eg4qp.png
    Mesoscale Discussion 0538
    NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
    0924 AM CDT Sat Apr 27 2024

Areas affected...Western OK and the southeast TX Panhandle

Concerning...Tornado Watch 144...

Valid 271424Z - 271600Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 144 continues.

SUMMARY...Severe storm threat will increase through midday across
    the southeast Texas Panhandle into west-central and southwest
    Oklahoma.

DISCUSSION...Convection along and ahead of the dryline across the
    southeast TX Panhandle into west-central OK has thus far largely
    struggled to turn the corner and produce severe weather yet this
    morning amid several candidate updrafts. Insolation ahead of this
    activity is greatest in western north TX from the CDS vicinity
    southward. It is plausible that sustained supercell development may
    evolve from the Hale County storm as it tracks along the 67 F
    isodrosotherm into southwest OK, as weak MLCIN noted in 12Z
    soundings erodes. Large hail will the primary initial threat with
    tornado potential increasing into early afternoon amid a 40-45 kt
    southerly low-level jet per FDR VWP data.

..Grams.. 04/27/2024

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...OUN...LUB...AMA...

LAT...LON 35710004 36269888 36439817 36349779 35989764 35459787
    35219829 34959873 34439941 33880036 33920093 34500086

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Weather twitter this morning is just a train of meteorologists posting balloon soundings and maps of Oklahoma along with comments in the vein of "Oh fuck oh Christ oh no"

Seems fine.

Stay safe, you and everyone in the Great Lakes that's in the path of the storm that came through Nebraska yesterday.

I'm just glad that it seems round 1 didn't kill anyone. Let's hope that round 2 is weaker.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 27
    Edit: nope, cancel, belay that, I accidentally posted some AI forecasting bullshit and I apologize, I should be better than that.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Seems fine.

Stay safe, you and everyone in the Great Lakes that's in the path of the storm that came through Nebraska yesterday.

I'm just glad that it seems round 1 didn't kill anyone. Let's hope that round 2 is weaker.

Friend of mine was in critical surgery at UNMC while they were going through Omaha.

Absolutely insane day yesterday.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

Seems fine.

Friend of mine was in critical surgery at UNMC while they were going through Omaha.

Absolutely insane day yesterday.

Jesus. Hope everything shook out alright for them.

Felt like the sirens were being sounded every 15 minutes for 2 hours yesterday. I'll give them credit: they made sure everyone knew shit was bad and made it damn difficult to ignore.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    They're having a bad time but the tornadoes weren't a factor. They had an aneurism last week and it's been a journey.

I was watching a storm chaser go from Lincoln to N Omaha yesterday and I swear it was just one touchdown after another on either side of the road. They said we had 45 touchdowns by 5 pm.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    How are you doing, @Jedoc ?

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It was 38 degrees yesterday. Today is the first of 5 80+ degree days in a row

I'm full of so much rage

• Options
    No damage here, just a bunch of wind and rain. Thanks for checking!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    What you guys got yesterday looked worse than what we got on Friday, and ours was already pretty bad.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    We were almost done with snow around here, but then last night winter was back one more time:
    6l8kyqxitnoq.jpg

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    I’m so so sorry

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    The thing is, it's been generally above freezing for long enough now that the snow all melted by mid-morning, it was just a slushy cycle to work.

• Options
    I would like to get off Ted Fujita's Wild Ride

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day3otlk.html

q7fb9xa2evmz.gif

• Options
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 6
    Avocados look very weird in the midwest

I assume the pink is....not good. Stay safe please

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    edited May 6
    Fun fact: the pink is the sort of forecast that's happened slightly less than once per year nationwide since 2000. Oklahoma hasn't gotten the pink avocado since 2019!

It means that for any given point inside that area, they're forecasting a 30% chance of a tornado or giant hail happening within 25 miles. Unusually, this forecast got bumped up from moderate to high based almost entirely on tornado risk, although hail is definitely going to be a factor today.

And it's my least favorite kind of tornado day: the show's not even going to kick off until 6 PM or so, and the tornado risk is going to peak after sundown. Unchill vibes for sure.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Night is the worst time for tornados, not that there is ever a good time for them; especially, if you end up getting one of the monster wedge tornados, where someone is position in a way where they don't even realize they are looking at a big ass tornado, even when they've got decent lighting to normally see the smaller ones.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Yall good Oklahoma folks? @Tynnan @Jedoc and any others?

• Options
    I'm well north of Oklahoma, nothing more than some thunderstorms. There were some tornadoes in the region but my sirens were quiet. Thanks for checking in!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Had some nasty ass straight line winds and decent sized hail 3 outta the last 7 days in my neck of the woods just north of Kansas City on the Missouri side of the state line.

Need a few shingles replaced on my roof and couple of small siding sections on the south side of the house need reattached, but could've been a whole shit load worse if I was just a couple of miles further west.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Worst thing that happened to me was leaving the house at 7 AM to check if the library still had power. (It did.)

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    We got hit with some real big hail and a ton of rain here in the NW corner of South Carolina. I bet body repair shops are slammed right now. One time a storm like that came through and BMW had to fix like 1200 cars with hail damage all at once.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion