Options

The [Final Fantasy] Thread Leaps Into Rebirth 2/29! (Game out; Tag Spoilers!)

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I've heard the remasters went scorched earth on giving the original team credit, which never sits will with me, but I guess that's a thing everyone does, sadly.

? I think they all have credits in them at the end of the game and I think accessible in the menu. There was a thing where the original PC version of FF6 didn't have the credits in the opening cutscene, but that got added back in. But they were all still there in the end credits, as far as I'm aware.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've heard the remasters went scorched earth on giving the original team credit, which never sits will with me, but I guess that's a thing everyone does, sadly.

? I think they all have credits in them at the end of the game and I think accessible in the menu. There was a thing where the original PC version of FF6 didn't have the credits in the opening cutscene, but that got added back in. But they were all still there in the end credits, as far as I'm aware.

Even Sakaguchi?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

Even Sakaguchi?

He's listed in a special thanks section. Though looking through the credits, yeah, there isn't like an "original staff" section. I think Nasir Gebelli is missing from them, too. So yeah, I guess that is kind of a bummer.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sakaguchi getting expunged from the main credits is some bullshit, I had not heard about that. Fuckers.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Even Sakaguchi?

He's listed in a special thanks section. Though looking through the credits, yeah, there isn't like an "original staff" section. I think Nasir Gebelli is missing from them, too. So yeah, I guess that is kind of a bummer.

It's not unusual, Cozy Okada wasn't credited at all in Nocturne HD either, and he was basically the Sakaguchi of that project(even if the Maniacs director saved it).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I'm still livid about Yuffie not being on PS4, not even delayed, just a total jerk move.

Also, even the super comprehensive OP forgets about Type-0. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYfN3hbX-A

Oof. And I was one of the few people who actually enjoyed Type-0. Though I did drop it after I beat it once, checked the guide for what I missed and what to do in NG+, and noped right out.

• Options
    You are making me want to pop in Type-0.
    It is kind of the odd duck Final Fantasy.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Type-0 was rad as hell.

Very flawed, but so rad.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Ace being awesome in Theatrhythm did a weirdly good job on selling me on giving Type 0 another shot.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Hah! I used cash back on my credit card and got Theatrhythm Final Bar Line for the Switch for $9.22.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    The Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Bundle is $46 on Steam! Get it!!!!

It looks like it is not discounted, but click on it and the discount shows up.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

I'm not seeing it, it said $70ish...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Maybe they messed up. I snagged it for $46.

I just checked my receipt. I got it for $46.76.

I bet they made a mistake.

Krathoon on
  • Options

Maybe they messed up. I snagged it for $46.

I just checked my receipt. I got it for $46.76.

I bet they made a mistake. It was kind of weird because the discount did not show up until I clicked on the entry. It was showing $74.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It shows that price when I click in as well.

For the record I already own V and VI, but it still shows $46.76.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2023
    on steam the pixel remaster bundle is $75 for me, I don't have any of them

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Maybe you get the discount if you own some. It is a pretty good deal even if you already own a few. You also get soundtracks and wallpapers.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    if you own ANY of the games even from before the pixel remaster, the price drops.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's ok guys, don't worry, Final Fantasy has been saved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxi6O_2Hx0U

• Options
    edited April 2023
    I don't know. I may just play the GBA version of FFV. Those extra jobs are too cool.

Edit: I compared it with the Pixel Remaster and the GBA version still wins. The remaster has better music and effects, but I really like the old style of the GBA game. Also, you got the character portraits.

GBA FFV and PSP FFIV are just too good to beat. Especially in an emulator.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Making my way through FF5 pixel remaster. Pretty good so far. Definitely has a fun vibe to it. Everyone has lots of character. Probably my biggest knock on it so far is keeping an eye out for blue magic. I pretty much always end up with Learn on all of my characters other than one who has Control so I'm ready for whenever I need to learn that spell. It does mean that half of the job system is basically wasted on me, though, which is a bummer. It definitely feels like you should have more than 1 ability slot for cross-job stuff (or just have 1 person with Learn let anyone in the party who gets hit with it learn it).

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Blue Magic learning has slowed down in the later part of the game so I'm able to use more job abilities which makes it more fun. Rapid Fire on a Spellblade is the beeeest. Gotta put everyone through Thief/Monk at some point, too. Honestly, so far, I think I'm enjoying this more than FF4? Like, FF4 had a grander, epic story and probably a better soundtrack, but the story and characters in FF5 are just more fun. Also, not having characters swap in and out all damn game is a plus. And the gameplay w/ the jobs and skills and whatnot is much better, imo. Big drawbacks so far is the blue magic grind to be aware of and more monsters get locked out at certain points so you have to keep a closer eye on that. Also there are just a stupid amount of monsters, like 300+ in the bestiary. Every area has unique monsters pretty much. On the plus side, there hasn't been any real grinds so far like there were in FF4 with the low drop rate summons (goblin/bird/mindflayer/bomb) or the pink rat tails.

Also, Ancient Library theme still slaps. (35:58 if it doesn't embed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63VB1X8SRqY&t=2158s

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FF5 has more humor in it's story.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited May 2023
    I'm playing through FFI for nostalgia's sake, and goddamn this would be a slog without the Boost options. Like the part in the beginning where you have to grind several levels just to be able to survive the trek to the first dungeon, and you can't afford to save enough money to buy potions because all your money goes into resting at the inn and resurrecting dead characters. Or backtracking through a dungeon and getting random battles every five steps.

I know I loved this game when it first came out, but I ain't got time for this anymore. It's nice being able to jack up the xp and gil drop rates to 4x, wander into a dungeon, and then turn off random battles when I get tired of them 5 minutes later but still have enough power to handle a boss.

Think almost done, though. That'll be 6 and 1 out of the way. Think I'll do 4 next, because I don't think I ever finished it.

Then I'll either do 5 next, because I expect it to be the best of the other 3, or do 5 last so I go out with a bang.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I'm playing through FFI for nostalgia's sake, and goddamn this would be a slog without the Boost options. Like the part in the beginning where you have to grind several levels just to be able to survive the trek to the first dungeon, and you can't afford to save enough money to buy potions because all your money goes into resting at the inn and resurrecting dead characters. Or backtracking through a dungeon and getting random battles every five steps.

I know I loved this game when it first came out, but I ain't got time for this anymore. It's nice being able to jack up the xp and gil drop rates to 4x, wander into a dungeon, and then turn off random battles when I get tired of them 5 minutes later but still have enough power to handle a boss.

Think almost done, though. That'll be 6 and 1 out of the way. Think I'll do 4 next, because I don't think I ever finished it.

Then I'll either do 5 next, because I expect it to be the best of the other 3, or do 5 last so I go out with a bang.

I'm also playing through FF1 now, and I'm dedicated to not using the boost options. Honestly, just with the updated animations and the ability to run in towns/dungeons is speeding stuff up so much. I did last play the original NES version, so any sort of QoL stuff is gonna feel great to me. I haven't really found the need to grind too much to be honest. The biggest early game grind is buying spells if you're rocking multiple magic users.

Cruor on
  • Options

Oh yeah, I've been boosting the shit out of all of them so far. Just don't even have to worry about the leveling/grinding aspect of the game and can just enjoy the rest of it.

And yeah, FF1 and 2 are pretty rough early on about money/economy when it comes to healing and rezzing. Especially 2 where the inn cost is in proportion to the amount of damage you've taken, which is just like, an insane system.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    FF5 is good fun when you play it normally, but I do think it shines most under the Four Job Fiesta limitations.

I’d definitely try to play 3 before 5 if you’re not in any particular hurry and intend to play all of them - 3 will seem pretty constrained coming off of 5’s implementation of the job system.

• Options
    Mega Man Battle Network seems way more grindy than Final Fantasy. It is like a card based game.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    FF5 has more humor in it's story.

5 really feels like a deep breath between 4 and 6. Those games can get pretty damn dark (even if 4 undoes most of it by the ending).

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Five is pretty damn dark IMO, right up until the good guys win at the end and somehow that makes everything ok

Fry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Oh yeah, I've been boosting the shit out of all of them so far. Just don't even have to worry about the leveling/grinding aspect of the game and can just enjoy the rest of it.

And yeah, FF1 and 2 are pretty rough early on about money/economy when it comes to healing and rezzing. Especially 2 where the inn cost is in proportion to the amount of damage you've taken, which is just like, an insane system.

Hahaha, I'm imagining walking into a motel and the clerk being like, "Whoa, you guys look real tired. Like, about to fall asleep in the lobby. We're going to add a 50% surcharge to your room fee for that. Oh, and did I hear a tummy growl? Go ahead and double the cost of all room service."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Five is pretty damn dark IMO, right up until the good guys win at the end and somehow that makes everything ok

To be fair it has a very interesting oddity about the ending most people never see.
    if anyone is dead when the final boss dies, they stay stuck in the void. The ending proceeds basically as if they died sort of. They magically come back at the very end though before all the credits flashy visuals

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    In possible slight defense of I and games at the time, it almost feels like it's "balanced" around you not knowing where to go, and thus just walking anywhere and getting into fights. I kind of ran into this problem playing Dragon Quest I. Knowing where everything is, where to go, and making a beeline for everything, yeah you end up horrendously underleveled and having to do the ol' Pixel Shuffle for a while to get back up to snuff. I don't think it's until IV when that design philosophy gets tuned down, though that game has its fair share of walls. I think the first bigg'un off hand might be the Dark Elf and the metallic cave.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    FF1's overworld is generally excellently designed. Most of the first half of the game you only really have one or two options of where to go and most of the time you'll get told where to go by talking to people where you're currently at. Big exception is getting the airship in the desert. The second half once you get the airship is also pretty open, but there's only really a couple places you can go at first and most of them also give you hints on what to do next.

FF2 is much more reliant on them telling you exactly where you need to go next and the world is much more open to navigate at the start, to its detriment I think.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think I've been trained on how to overcome FF1's earliest levels. Garland and the pirates ain't really a thing for me anymore.

Marsh Cave, though? That is the hardest part of the game for me. A big, winding dungeon with strong enemies at a point where you just don't have many tools to deal with them. Spellcasting items really smooth out the impact of long treks on your MP and items.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    I agree, having just finished FF1, the world design is pretty top notch, especially for its time. And the gameplay is well balanced for what it is, it's just gameplay designed around getting into a kind of samey battle every five steps. Playing it directly after 6, where pretty much every character controls differently and feels unique, and you have tons of options for how you want to conduct battles, was probably not the best choice.

And yeah, fuck Marsh Cave. I remember that fucking place from when I was a wee lad. The emotional scars have not healed.

• Options
    I agree, having just finished FF1, the world design is pretty top notch, especially for its time. And the gameplay is well balanced for what it is, it's just gameplay designed around getting into a kind of samey battle every five steps. Playing it directly after 6, where pretty much every character controls differently and feels unique, and you have tons of options for how you want to conduct battles, was probably not the best choice.

And yeah, fuck Marsh Cave. I remember that fucking place from when I was a wee lad. The emotional scars have not healed.

Oh my god yeah, FF1 and 2 especially you're in a random battle every 5 steps or so. It really just bogs things down. 3/4/5 are much better about letting you breathe and explore a bit between battles.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    FF1 was a lot more fun in later years, knowing more tricks (and where to go). Such as the best grinding spots, most of which were unintended. I'm partial to one of the "trap" spaces in front of a chest in Astos' castle, which spawns a bunch of mummies you can nuke down with white magic.

Also it's fun to use boat+canoe to access some of the second half of the game before you get the airship. The volcano is a lot less miserable if you've already upgraded your class.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    They put out artwork for the Eikons from FF16. I am not looking because I wanna be surprised but my GF informs me the art is super awesome and I can't wait until I can see them.

So anyone interested in that should check it out!

This discussion has been closed.