As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Steam] Thread: Supporting Necromancy Charities

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Hey Hivemind, what's the best Call of Duty to single-player on the Steam Deck? Never gave any of 'em a try, I'd assumed they were multiplayer-only.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Hey Hivemind, what's the best Call of Duty to single-player on the Steam Deck? Never gave any of 'em a try, I'd assumed they were multiplayer-only.

From the Deck verified list, definitely Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. It has easily the best single-player campaign in the franchise. And if you find it on the short side, you can then delve into Modern Warfare 2 (2009) for a dose of ridiculous fun in surroundings that I won't spoil here.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

. . . You mean they aren't all just multiplayer games? I honestly never knew that.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

. . . You mean they aren't all just multiplayer games? I honestly never knew that.

They all have big ol jingoist campaigns. For example, the ending to Black Ops 1 comes to mind:

https://youtu.be/0qvPiUTbevo?t=924

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Blops 3? Had a neat super soldier story. I remember Shade gifting me back in the day and enjoying it way more than I thought I would.

• Options
    edited June 2023

They've been effectively single-player games for me for some time. Though I've been putting a lot of time into the big-map MP modes in MW2 (2022) lately. And loving the new grenades that drill through walls to take out campers. While also finding that, playing my first COD game on KBAM since the original, I'm a pretty decent shot as a counter-sniper. These two things have me in revenge mode, focused on making life miserable for my two least favorite types of (rule-abiding) FPS opponents.

ArmsForPeace84 on
  • Options
    I think when it comes to FPS games, I much prefer to shoot demons or monsters, or to have a super-sci-fi or fantasy bent to the game. And as little military jargon and nonsense as possible. I think the closest I'd get is something like . . . Wolfenstein? Thus probably why I didn't know that they have campaigns of any kind.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    https://www.cnet.com/culture/petraeus-a-now-unlikely-defense-secretary-in-call-of-duty/

A reminder trayarch made BLOPS 2 not knowing Patraeus would get caught with a side chick via US Military assets

• Options
    edited June 2023
    I think when it comes to FPS games, I much prefer to shoot demons or monsters, or to have a super-sci-fi or fantasy bent to the game. And as little military jargon and nonsense as possible. I think the closest I'd get is something like . . . Wolfenstein? Thus probably why I didn't know that they have campaigns of any kind.

I enjoy those types of games, if they don't lean hard into making me use energy weapons that shoot slow-moving glowing orbs, arcing bolts of lightning, miniature black holes, or space arrows. Guns that look and behave like guns? I'll shoot Invaders From Mars and Killer Clowns From Outer Space with those. Donkegin gets a LAW rocket. Mac from Mac & Me? A flamethrower, obviously.

ArmsForPeace84 on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I wanna play another Raft, but I can’t get anyone in my house to get on the Voidtrain.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thanks to @Pixelated Pixie and @Viking for the gifts. Sorry I had to decline them both.

Of course, Pixie gifted me something from my Wishlist, to which I have no clue how it got there. :p

I should probably decide who to gift bomb now....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

I enjoy those types of games, if they don't lean hard into making me use energy weapons that shoot slow-moving glowing orbs, arcing bolts of lightning, miniature black holes, or space arrows. Guns that look and behave like guns? I'll shoot Invaders From Mars and Killer Clowns From Outer Space with those. Donkegin gets a LAW rocket. Mac from Mac & Me? A flamethrower, obviously.

See, and I'm not super interested in guns being guns. I'm not interested in guns in real life, and so game guns being sort of fictional is more my speed. Like, I'm moderately sure Fallout guns don't work like real world guns. Maybe they do? I don't really worry about that as much as that it feels fun to play. So if the gun in question shoots acid rounds or fries dudes with lightning, I'm good with that. Hell, I'm more likely to play a wizard in a fantasy game, so spells are more my speed anyways. So guns that behave like spells are cool with me.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

See, and I'm not super interested in guns being guns. I'm not interested in guns in real life, and so game guns being sort of fictional is more my speed. Like, I'm moderately sure Fallout guns don't work like real world guns. Maybe they do? I don't really worry about that as much as that it feels fun to play. So if the gun in question shoots acid rounds or fries dudes with lightning, I'm good with that. Hell, I'm more likely to play a wizard in a fantasy game, so spells are more my speed anyways. So guns that behave like spells are cool with me.

Mostly I just don't want to be shooting human enemies. And certainly not in a historical or modern setting. Guns with realism are, yeah, not much of a draw either.

Give me something like Turok or DOOM or Void Bastards or even Singularity/Bioshock if you must do human enemies. The further removed from any feeling of real history or human conflict; the better.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Mostly I just don't want to be shooting human enemies. And certainly not in a historical or modern setting. Guns with realism are, yeah, not much of a draw either.

Give me something like Turok or DOOM or Void Bastards or even Singularity/Bioshock if you must do human enemies. The further removed from any feeling of real history or human conflict; the better.

I looked and my shooters on Steam are Bioshock series, Borderlands series, Bulletstorm, Crysis series, The Darkness 2, Destiny 2, Doom series, Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon, Half-Life series, Halo series, Red Faction, Shadow Warrior, and Wolfenstein series games. Oh, and Rage. I also have Fallout games and Deus Ex games, which arguably are FPS RPGs. I know I also have Prey on the Playstation. Far Cry 3 is probably the closest to real life that I have, and it's the one I liked the least.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I just bought Bulletstorm on sale for four bucks. *wink nudge*
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/501590/Bulletstorm_Full_Clip_Edition/

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

Gird your loins and kill their dicks

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Im excited for the Summer Sale, but theres nothing I really expect to be on sale that I want. Still its super exciting just for the sale to be around, it kinda jazzes up the atmosphere.

They did link the new summer event during it though. Going to spoiler it so people can go in blind if they want.
    Gift Dover.

I think the only thing I'm really keeping an eye out on is if Crusader Kings 3 DLC goes on sale, specifically the season 2 dlc pass though I doubt it will quite yet. But between Zelda and Diablo 4 plus my backlog in general, there's really not a ton I'm sure I really want anyway.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

I don’t have any particular problem with human enemies or real life wars per se, I just find games where all the enemies are just human guys with guns and the occasional grenade or explosive boring as hell.

Like give me crazy critters or mutants or zombies or space wizards or whatever to fight in addition to the guys with guns.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Gird your loins and kill their dicks

I mean, that's just good general life advice.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I don’t have any particular problem with human enemies or real life wars per se, I just find games where all the enemies are just human guys with guns and the occasional grenade or explosive boring as hell.

Like give me crazy critters or mutants or zombies or space wizards or whatever to fight in addition to the guys with guns.

The target profile of russian voice in camouflage pattern 378 is totally distincting from russian voice in camouflage pattern 776

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    What a strange idea for a crossover.
    8ff5tib3ryi7.jpg

He's literally a sailor, though

Makes sense to me.

Logically it fits, but it's also strange that someone would make the connection. Popeye's not the hottest IP these days. Be like adding M.A.S.K. to Sonics Racing.

Sonic vs Matt Trakker - the mashup we never knew we needed.

The transforming vehicles would be a good fit...

• Options
    edited June 2023
    https://youtu.be/IPxvWt-NMe0

Another space opera
    Episode 1: the wake of the giant

Sweet jebus

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    looks like Valve have started taking down games with substantial amounts of AI generated art, which I think is a good thing for the industry and Steam:
    “After reviewing, we have identified intellectual property in [Game Name Here] which appears to belongs to one or more third parties,” Valve said. “In particular, [Game Name Here] contains art assets generated by artificial intelligence that appears to be relying on copyrighted material owned by third parties.

“As the legal ownership of such AI-generated art is unclear, we cannot ship your game while it contains these AI-generated assets, unless you can affirmatively confirm that you own the rights to all of the IP used in the data set that trained the AI to create the assets in your game.”
    https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/valve-is-reportedly-banning-games-featuring-ai-generated-content/

• Options
    Making my way through zeno clash 2, nearing the end, revealed the dark secret.

Fps double dragon with coop campaign is delightful

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    3 hours, 15 minutes, folks: https://prepareyourwallet.com

Let's fucking go!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    3 hours, 15 minutes, folks: https://prepareyourwallet.com

Let's fucking go!

Only looking for some DCS or IL2 modules this time around, and even then I can't wait. :lol:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I'm hoping for Torchlight 2, Killing Floor 2, and Valheim to be on sale.

Not because I need them, but I need to buy them for other people.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/IPxvWt-NMe0

Another space opera
    Episode 1: the wake of the giant

Sweet jebus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzcFY5HxtE

• Options
    I've wishlisted it as well, it looks fucking dope.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kzcFY5HxtE

This is the youtube channel that hipped me to it. Feels like I should share to get them the credit.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Just pulled the trigger on a base model STEAMDECK. Fingers crossed it arrives in the one to two weeks it says as I have a LONG flight coming up and the last long flight I did all I could think of while playing some dumb mobile game on my phone was "Fuck I wish I had a STEAMDECK to play GROUNDED (or some other indie game I really want to play but don't get a chance to because my backlog of 0-hour played games is 90% of my STEAM library)." At first I was a little apprehensive when looking at this battery life, but then remembered I have ZERO interest in playing big releases on this and that this would legit just be a mobile indie device (or some other non-indie games that could probably work on this). Like I am definitely going to be playing some DAVE THE DIVER (third plug, seriously get this game if you like the idea of games just being. . .fun) and I bet the new SYSTEM SHOCK would perform well on it and not be too taxing on the battery.

Same with the memory size; I ALMOST bought the most expensive one, but watched a video that showed the storage on the base one isn't really that bad (certainly not for indie titles) and that you can apparently easily upgrade the memory (through expansion or getting into the system guts). We shall see. I'll be curious how much usage this thing gets in a remote-work environment, but I can totally see this sitting next to my desk upstairs and playing during meetings or quick breaks on the work-couch.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger on a base model STEAMDECK. Fingers crossed it arrives in the one to two weeks it says as I have a LONG flight coming up and the last long flight I did all I could think of while playing some dumb mobile game on my phone was "Fuck I wish I had a STEAMDECK to play GROUNDED (or some other indie game I really want to play but don't get a chance to because my backlog of 0-hour played games is 90% of my STEAM library)." At first I was a little apprehensive when looking at this battery life, but then remembered I have ZERO interest in playing big releases on this and that this would legit just be a mobile indie device (or some other non-indie games that could probably work on this). Like I am definitely going to be playing some DAVE THE DIVER (third plug, seriously get this game if you like the idea of games just being. . .fun) and I bet the new SYSTEM SHOCK would perform well on it and not be too taxing on the battery.

Same with the memory size; I ALMOST bought the most expensive one, but watched a video that showed the storage on the base one isn't really that bad (certainly not for indie titles) and that you can apparently easily upgrade the memory (through expansion or getting into the system guts). We shall see. I'll be curious how much usage this thing gets in a remote-work environment, but I can totally see this sitting next to my desk upstairs and playing during meetings or quick breaks on the work-couch.

That's essentially most of my Deck usage pattern lately: boot up some Mega Man X, Wall World or some other simple thing while I'm waiting for some deployments or the like. If you're going for low demand games then the microSD will be more than enough for you.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Speaking of Steam Decks, this is interesting - in the UK the 64GB and 256GB models are out of stock, with only 512GB units currently available. Gonna have to keep an eye on this and see if it changes.

57myk9lm2bbl.jpg

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

That's essentially most of my Deck usage pattern lately: boot up some Mega Man X, Wall World or some other simple thing while I'm waiting for some deployments or the like. If you're going for low demand games then the microSD will be more than enough for you.

Even high demand games are happy enough on the microSD - I've got the likes of Far Cry 6 and Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on mine and they run just fine off it.

As for battery life, a power bank with at least 45W Power Delivery is a pretty solid Deck accessory to have. But if you're playing indies - especially fully 2D ones that demand nothing of the GPU - the battery life suddenly becomes very good.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Before the Summer Sale begins remember:
    • The Backlog Monster under your bed is real.
    • The Backlog Monster under your bed can't hurt you.
    • But the Backlog Monster under your bed can and will judge you.
    svp4phspccos.png

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
    Steam Deck 20% off, this is NOT a drill

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    $359.10 for 64GB
    $449.65 for 256GB
    $519.26 for 512GB

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2023

See if you can get a refund cause literally just went on sale for 20% off.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png