Options

The [Steam] Thread: Supporting Necromancy Charities

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I made a thread for Backpack Battles, an inventory auto-battler. I highly recommend everyone download the demo.

FYI same studio that made Backpack Hero (which I own but have yet to play)

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I made a thread for Backpack Battles, an inventory auto-battler. I highly recommend everyone download the demo.

Oh really? I thought I'd dig Backpack Hero, but ended up bouncing off of it pretty fast. Some things just bugged me about it. BB is pretty cool so far though.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

It is not.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Same publisher, different dev.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Appropriate time of year for WORLD OF HORROR to get its 1.0 release!

The game's already been really good so far. Stir a bit of Lovecraftian cosmic horror into the works of Junji Ito as applied to 1980s computer graphics, all wrapped in an adventure not unlike the Arkham Horror board game.

Have a launch trailer! TRIGGER WARNING for genuinely disturbing content such as blood, suicide, disfigurement and more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8jIwzGp8U

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    To balance it all out the trailer also has a cute dog.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I AM GOING TO STARE AT CUTE BUNNIES AND FORGET ABOUT SPIRALS AND HOLES
    https://imgur.com/t/rabbit

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Awesome!
    Garthor wrote: »

It is not.

I rescind my awesome.

Friends have been telling me about Backpack Battles for a bit now. They love the demo.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Fate Samurai Remnant completed, or at least one of the endings. Turns out I was right before the final fight when last I played a few weeks ago, so it was interesting trying to remember the buttons after completely forgetting in the interim. Debating whether or not to do NG+ run for the remaining two endings.

Overall was nice but didn't really wow me. The most fun was figuring out who all the Servants were, which would be the main reason I would do a NG+ run since I made the choice that locked out Rogue Saber so I have no idea who they are. At least NG+ retains basically everything except key items and has a fast forward for already-read text so it would go faster.

• Options
    Huh, I finished a prestigue settlement in Against the Storm with no one leaving or dying.

Then the next one, and the final seal of the season were absolute meat grinders

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

1- I don't know the difference anymore and I'm too afraid to ask

2- the Steam page says "more from [X]!" and lists backpack hero

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

1- I don't know the difference anymore and I'm too afraid to ask

2- the Steam page says "more from [X]!" and lists backpack hero

1 - The Publisher markets and sometimes funds the Developer to make the game, they do stuff to help the Developer actually code, design, and make the game. The Developer is the one who is usually responsible for the design and mechanics focused, the Publisher usually adds stuff like monetization and more focused on "How will this game make money?".

2 - I think IndieArk is a pretty big publisher, they might share one there.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Slay the Princess just came out!

A feel good romp for all with Kate Beaton's Abby Howard's artwork.

Karoz on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

A feel good romp for all with Kate Beaton's artwork.

You had me excited for a moment, but I guess you mean it's like Kate Beaton's artwork?
    Hand-penciled art - every background and sprite is drawn traditionally with pencil and paper by Ignatz-winning graphic novelist Abby Howard.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A feel good romp for all with Kate Beaton's artwork.

You had me excited for a moment, but I guess you mean it's like Kate Beaton's artwork?
    Hand-penciled art - every background and sprite is drawn traditionally with pencil and paper by Ignatz-winning graphic novelist Abby Howard.

Uuuugh I messed up, I'm and idiot.

Why did I think Kate.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023

And if you own their previous game, you can "buy" the bundle of both games and it costs less than buying individually, because the discount for the bundle is higher.

ETA: totals a 23% discount off on launch day if you own Scarlet Hollow. Which you should.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Huh. I...expected it to look a lot better tbh

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Thanks @Dixon for their donation!! <3

Please consider donating what you can to my Extra-Life to help sick kiddos at CHOP!

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    I realized today that I would be a terrible game dev. Mostly because I would demand that the game include an unlockable "T-Pose" mode where all the characters (or maybe just the main character) would move and act while stuck in the T-Pose. Combat would just be bonking/running into enemies. All cutscenes would have the same voice lines, so the more serious the story, the more absurd it would be.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I realized today that I would be a terrible game dev. Mostly because I would demand that the game include an unlockable "T-Pose" mode where all the characters (or maybe just the main character) would move and act while stuck in the T-Pose. Combat would just be bonking/running into enemies. All cutscenes would have the same voice lines, so the more serious the story, the more absurd it would be.

Lies of Penguin

And the older Ys games

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

No worse than when games had unlockable cheats with things like Big Head Mode or paintball or whatever. I approve!

• Options
    I miss silly shit like big head modes. Now those would be DLC. ☹️

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I miss silly shit like big head modes. Now those would be DLC. ☹️

i remember when the first animal crossing game had actual entire NES games you could unlock

thats probably my favorite 'game content that would never be game content today'

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Cheats for things like big head mode were weird because they took actual development time. Now that games development is serious business, there's no time to spend on things like that.

Simpler cheats like all guns and god mode and no clipping are really just developer tools.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    also no point in developing those when people will mod them in within a month.

• Options
    There is literally a mod in warframe for big head that I am too weak to install on anything

• Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    I'd be awesome if a new King Kong game came out.

*monkey paw*

0v895k8yzymx.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097890/Skull_Island_Rise_of_Kong/

Watches the dated-looking trailer
    Reads the Mostly Negative reviews
    Adds to Wishlist

Some highlights from the negative reviews:

"This game is peak PS2 era."
    Stop, stop, I can only wishlist this game once!

"At no point during its incoherent gameplay, did it make any sense"
    Well, I do love a game that takes me on a journey through the disordered mind of the developer. Have you met Mr. Fast?

Yeah, after playing devil's advocate here earlier, I've watched all I could handle of oboeshoes, who can make just about anything entertaining, playing Skull Island: Rise of Kong. And the comparisons with the Gollum game are unfair... to the Gollum game.

The '00s got me too used to bad games bringing something to the table. But this?
    ffzb5jbeyczv.gif

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    I'd be awesome if a new King Kong game came out.

*monkey paw*

0v895k8yzymx.png

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2097890/Skull_Island_Rise_of_Kong/

Watches the dated-looking trailer
    Reads the Mostly Negative reviews
    Adds to Wishlist

Some highlights from the negative reviews:

"This game is peak PS2 era."
    Stop, stop, I can only wishlist this game once!

"At no point during its incoherent gameplay, did it make any sense"
    Well, I do love a game that takes me on a journey through the disordered mind of the developer. Have you met Mr. Fast?

Yeah, after playing devil's advocate here earlier, I've watched all I could handle of oboeshoes, who can make just about anything entertaining, playing Skull Island: Rise of Kong. And the comparisons with the Gollum game are unfair... to the Gollum game.

The '00s got me too used to bad games bringing something to the table. But this?
    ffzb5jbeyczv.gif

It should warm your heart that I am finding a great many PSOne era visuals on youtube from upcoming games. Unsure if they're good but good lawd, the nostalgia

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/20/23925326/skull-island-rise-of-kong-development-gamemill-entertainment
    Apparently, the publisher only gave the studio one year to make the game. Honestly kinda impressive that they were able to ship something at all.

The publisher is called GameMill which seems a little on the nose.

cB557 on
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    https://www.theverge.com/2023/10/20/23925326/skull-island-rise-of-kong-development-gamemill-entertainment
    Apparently, the publisher only gave the studio one year to make the game. Honestly kinda impressive that they were able to ship something at all.

They also cranked out that super shitty Cobra Kai game. Seems like they make a bunch of garbage, probably at a very low cost.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

They also cranked out that super shitty Cobra Kai game. Seems like they make a bunch of garbage, probably at a very low cost.

Cobra Kai was perfectly a cromulant beat 'em up.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Oh really? I thought I'd dig Backpack Hero, but ended up bouncing off of it pretty fast. Some things just bugged me about it. BB is pretty cool so far though.

Backpack hero had a solid core premise (Inventory tetris roguelike is a very good premise) that then... overcomitted and under comitted.

Gold, Curses and the relic equilvents all being items you had to fit into your inventory was really, really bad. Gold should have been it's own slotless thing. Relics and curses are good examples of where they simply didn't push the design far enough - think how much more interesting it'd have been had they been overlays over parts of your inventory.

Beyond that, it had really abysmal monster and boss design - people claim StS has hard counters (it doesn't, fight me), but Backpack Hero literally has (had? It's been a year+ since i played) a boss that gained Spikes (Hurt you for hitting it) every time you hit it. Built a multi-attack build, something the game really incentivized you to do? You're fucked with a boss that's mathmatically impossible to beat. Maybe you got lucky and got the relic that removes a boss's spikes with every hit, in which case you're... merely in immense trouble. Not great! Quite shitty in point of fact! And this is to say nothing of monsters that simply spam curses. What's that, the game incentives you to fill up all your inventory slots so you have no space to place curses? Boy! Hope you like stacking hp penalties that you can't do anyhting about unless you either: throw away items (You need these), or kill them real fast (see: win more)

In general it's method of handing out loot and the way the game worked pushed into a win-more/go big or go home combo territory, which is an issue that haunts a lot of these tactical roguelikes. Honestly at this point i think of all the ones i've played, Slay the Spire might be the only one that dosent push you to do go big or go home combos? They're just something that Can Happen and are very fun when they do, not mandatory.

So ultimately it's a cool idea that's a lot less than the sum of it's parts.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The donos just keep on rolling. Thank you @Jazz for their donation which pushed us over $400! <3

As a reminder for PA folks only, I'll be doing my standard two raffles. One of $100 in Steam dollars, and another of a game of the winner's choice (On any platform including console if we can make it work). Just gotta donate to the Extra-Life page with at least $5 and make sure you mark your PA name in the name/comments so I can keep track.

Thanks again to all the donations so far!

• Options
    ?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Watch out, the vampire hunter is establishing dominance!

Was it someone here that said they wanted a cheat/mod where they fought T-posers? Cause had this happen in Vampyr when a little too far from a vampire hunter and I couldn't help but giggle.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    Paradox Studios dropped Harebrained Studios as a developer, citing bad sales of Lamplighters League.

With the big layoffs a few months before release and the state the game was released in its hard to feel like Paradox didn’t cut them off at the knees here.

I'm also curious what sort of sales figures they expected when the game is a Game Pass title on both platforms it released on.

Gamepass doesn't seem to be able to "save" bad games if that makes sense. Redfall, as a good example, failed to not only impress on gamepass but also managed to have "minimal sales" and has apparently sold *very* badly. Thankfully at least Arkane studios weren't mass fired, blamed for it and then left to the winds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lamplighters League was actually a good game. A genuinely good game. It got absolutely shafted by technical problems and if you think it's bad on PC, don't even get me started on how bad the Series X version has been.

I didn't mean that Game Pass could "save" it somehow. I just wonder how launching as a Game Pass does (and should) impact sales projections. I'd imagine they should go down quite a bit, especially when the game is not only launching on Game Pass but launching only on platforms where Game Pass exists. Granted, The Lamplighters League is available on Steam, but it's also available on PC via Game Pass. And you can buy it on Xbox, but you can also download it through Game Pass. As far as I know it didn't release on PlayStation or Switch. Seems like you should expect low sales in that case (unless Game Pass downloads count as a sale for some reason).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023

It would be really neat to see a martial arts competition game. I don't mean yet another open world beat 'em up, but a game where you actually have to spar with an opponent, follow the rules, and memorize forms before competition, maybe like Unison.

And God no, I don't mean MMA format, just basic point sparring.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Like the first stage of the original Karate Kid game on the NES.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Redfall when it came out was Microsoft internal development, but it was started before MS bought Bethesda. And Bethesda told their acquired studio Arkane to make a GaaS game when everyone thought that's where the money was, and by the time it was halfway done that idea had vanished. Though no-one would ever make a public statement on it, I bet it was never considered good enough and has gotten minimal support to make true on what appeared in trailers and marketing. And now it got 1 big patch for nobody and it's dead. From the POV of Arkane you get a new boss who says that you must stop doing what you're good at, and then that new boss gets a new boss who doesn't believe in it. Which is why a lot of Arkane people left in 21/22, when the industry was hiring.

Lamplighters League is in some way the opposite and some ways similar, Paradox acquired HBS just as they launched Battletech. HBS wanted to make another tactical RPG which they could, but Paradox didn't want them to use any outside IP, because they were afraid whoever owned that IP would squeeze the profitability from the product. But they did get to make a game in the genre they're good at, with a Gamepass contract to limit the risk. When the product got close to release, Paradox didn't think it was good enough to make any money and fired most of the studio before the game even got out. Now they've split.
    This more akin to the whole Embracer fiasco, where Paradox went and bought a ton of stuff when money was cheap but limply support everyone, so all of it ends up losing money. And now loaning money is expensive, so a lot of studios pay the price.

Meanwhile Gamepass is reportedly more stingy with contracts. It apparently was more or less a nobrainer a few years ago, but I guess because Gamepass hasn't grown like MS wanted too (And they're behind on their targets for Xbox sales too), less people get contracts, and those contracts are less good. And stuff like Lamplighters makes me wonder if stuff like Metacritic bonuses may get tied to Gamepass contracts, because otherwise underfunding a Gamepass game so you limit your losses may remain viable, even if it's bad for Gamepass, the people who work at the studio, and the industry in general.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

It would be really neat to see a martial arts competition game. I don't mean yet another open world beat 'em up, but a game where you actually have to spar with an opponent, follow the rules, and memorize forms before competition, maybe like Unison.

Karate Master 2: Knockdown Blow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2t79umkvrU

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Reminds me of Budokan:Martial Spirit