As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pikmin] Once again, it's time to pillage PNF-404!

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
r090753aoe1r.jpg

Welcome to Pikmin 4!

If you have no idea what Pikmin is all about, in a nutshell, it's Nintendo's take on a RTS with your units being adorable little plant creatures called Pikmin. They come in a variety of colors, each with their own strengths.

New to Pikmin 4 is a custom character creator, night time missions, new Pikmin types, character upgrades, and a pet dog critter, Oatchi, that helps you in your adventures.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Also, as a personal aside, I was looking up in the forums for an existing Pikmin thread. There was one last updated back in 2014. In that thread, I found some of my old posts about me and my fiance (now wife) playing Pikmin 3 on the Wii U together.

And this week, I finished playing through Pikmin 3 Ultimate on the Switch with my daughter. Hit me right in the feels.

She's so excited for Pikmin 4 tomorrow that she couldn't contain herself. I told her to paint something and she couldn't think of anything. So I suggested she paint Pikmin and gave her this Club Nintendo Pikmin drink coaster as a reference:

8v2qanvd71qz.jpeg

And this is what she created:

2lyf97uwe3xm.jpeg

Super stoked to dive into Pikmin 4!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Pikmin 4 overview.
    https://youtu.be/tqpbMLVa9EI

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Is it PNF-404 on hocotate though

• Options
    The battle part of the game gets pretty interesting. I was watching a guy play it on YouTube today.

• Options
    I found those Pikmin drink coasters on eBay and I bought them.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    *buys Pikmin through the e-store*
    Goes home to sick Dj.
    Dj: I'm trying to kill these monsters but I only have my dog.

Also rock co-op is bad.
    I can't just unilaterally seize control with my golden flag.
    I'm having to resort to semaphore gestures at the TV to guide the adventure instead.

Donburi is ok, but Bingo Battle is better at letting Dj take as long as he needs to actually collect things.
    But he didn't crack under the time pressure so maybe he'll be better at it soon enough.

discrider on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Damn sneaky sneaks have locked the blue onion behind pretty much a 50 pikmin requirement, and I'm still at 40. Pretty sure it's the final thing to do on the map for 100%. Guess I just gotta have to come back later.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Damn sneaky sneaks have locked the blue onion behind pretty much a 50 pikmin requirement, and I'm still at 40. Pretty sure it's the final thing to do on the map for 100%. Guess I just gotta have to come back later.

Dash into it with Oatchi and push it over the ice.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It is launch day. I got the game in the mail.
    https://youtu.be/RPiT-s4i0rw

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Woo Pikmin! So uh, yeah, I got a little impatient last week waiting for full release and decided to reset my demo data to try and do better (especially holding off on the 1500 sparklium to avoid ending it). I uh... got 100% in the first area on the demo :3 I was a little surprised it actually let me do this. It required a bit of planning (and actually specifically upgrading Oatchi for carrying capacity at one point because of limited Pikmin population size - hard to carry a 20 when you need 30 to freeze a lake and you have max 40) but it was fun :3

So yeah, last night was like all second area, it was cool :3 Night Missions are fun as hell. I eventually had to stop myself cuz it was 3am and.. work... but excited to play some more :3 I think I'm at like 75% of the second area complete. I saw one more cave I haven't done and I think one dandori challenge and then I'm done on that map? At least that's what it looked like.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I got the Pikmin 4 water bottle. I will drink wine out of it.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »

I think we're thinking of different onions. This is the blue onion in the first level. That wouldn't have worked because it's is right in the middle of a chunk of land. In fact there's a climbing wall before it so Oatchi specifically can't help with it. Either way I just came back to it once I had 50 pikmin and then 100%'ed the level.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I think we're thinking of different onions. This is the blue onion in the first level. That wouldn't have worked because it's is right in the middle of a chunk of land. In fact there's a climbing wall before it so Oatchi specifically can't help with it. Either way I just came back to it once I had 50 pikmin and then 100%'ed the level.

The way I did it was freeze the lake, move to the onion over that wall, call back the ice Pikmin, use them to unlodge the onion and carry it to the platform below, freeze the water again and then use Oatchi to jump up on the lower platform and then dash/push the onion.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter woke up yelling like it was Christmas morning, "PIKMIN 4! DADDY COME ON!!"

She recovered the energy objects in the first area and I grabbed my GBA SP (NES edition) from the shelf and her mind was blown.

10/10 game of the year

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I don't know why the second player can't just play as the dog.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Pikmin 4 is enjoyable so far. It's hard to stop playing because you just want to do one more day, one more day.

The vibe is a little different from the previous games. It's less lonely. You don't feel like you're stranded and alone on a strange planet. But that's not a big thing to complain about. The music is also not very memorable so far.

But I'm enjoying it a lot.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Yeah, this game is absolutely phenomenal so far. It might just be the best one yet. I'm just happy that they brought caverns back into the game.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I know "Pikmin canon" is like the stupidest possible thing you could care about and it doesn't matter at all, but I still find it weirdly frustrating that the Pikmin 4 intro is seemingly taking the tack of "what if Olimar never made it off the planet at the end of Pikmin 1 and the other two games just didn't happen".

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I know "Pikmin canon" is like the stupidest possible thing you could care about and it doesn't matter at all, but I still find it weirdly frustrating that the Pikmin 4 intro is seemingly taking the tack of "what if Olimar never made it off the planet at the end of Pikmin 1 and the other two games just didn't happen".

Is this an alternative timeline?
    Olimar seems normal in the tutorial.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Well I hit credits.
    It's probably the most egregious case of a false ending yet. If you've been fully clearing every level, you know damn well there must be more game just from the huge list of unfinished sidequests. Plus the complete lack of a final boss. Oh and spoiler alert. It really was Olimar. Dun dun dun!

All of it adds up to you sitting watching the credits, just waiting for the shoe to drop. I just unlocked the 4th ice onion, and the sidequest updated with a new one, "Fuse 5 Onions". You ain't fooling anybody with these credits!!!

Then everybody's lovable asshole Louie shows up! And then you turn the ship around because Oatchi's sick, and there's obviously more game.

Also a bit of plot discussion stemming from said credits.
    In addition to more main story game, there's a new Olimar mode where he recounts his tale of being shipwrecked. You have 15 days to collect 30 ship parts. So really feeling like a condensed version of Pikmin 1.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I also hit credits
    The game did start with rescuing Olimar being the objective, but it was so obvious that there was more game left that it was just weird.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    . Nintendo loves their fake-out credit rolls. They have done that in Kirby Star Allies I think and also kid Icarus uprising did the same thing.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The first area is 99% complete. Apparently I'm missing a surface treasure. It's either something hidden that I need to dig up or uncover, or it's something that will appear later.
    or it's something you get from doing the nighttime missions, although I doubt that's tied to the percentage of the regular stage.

Don't tell me if you know.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I don't know, but have you tried using Oatchi
    to check for treasure?

discrider on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know, but have you tried using Oatchi
    to check for treasure?

Yeah, that pretty much always works.

I don't know the details on what you're missing, but if you kind of want to know what's going on in general:
    Some treasures are just super hidden, with no visual indication whatsoever that it might be buried in the ground until you throw a pikmin and they start randomly digging.

I can't really be annoyed by it? The treasure detector still detects them. You still get a star marked on the map. And Oatchi still sniffs them out. Still kind of sucks to miss the completely invisible treasure though.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I have one (1) Pikmin 4 complaint: The commands that can be issued to either Oatchi or the player character should give both options instead of it depending on who you're controlling. Telling Oatchi to go somewhere could have been slightly smoother than switching, issuing the command on the map, and then switching back.

Regardless, the game is still super good.

• Options
    I like how the controls are kind of intuitive. Like how you use the triggers to switch between the Pikmin and Oatchi.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have one (1) Pikmin 4 complaint: The commands that can be issued to either Oatchi or the player character should give both options instead of it depending on who you're controlling. Telling Oatchi to go somewhere could have been slightly smoother than switching, issuing the command on the map, and then switching back.

Regardless, the game is still super good.

That, and I also wish there was an easy way to have Oatchi go with half the nearby pikmin to do two half strength squads in different places.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    You all were right, I wasn't using Oatchi to his full potential. Now the first area is 100% complete.
    The treasure was a potato

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Re: 100% Area Completion discussion:
    Hmm, I deliberately avoided purchasing the Treasure Gauge or using the Oatchi commands to find stuff since I wanted things to feel more freeform and less directed. I guess I should 'waste' a day going back in to the first area to clear that 99% into a 100%. Good thing that the game doesn't have a time limit so I don't feel so bad about doing so.

Anyways, what're folks putting on their shortcut commands? It took a few days for the game to tell me that I could assign non-Tablet shortcuts, but since then, I've just duplicated the Y-hold wheel onto the D-pad. Not sure what I should put on the L-stick click; I'm divided between the Survey Drone or Ultra-Spicy Spray. Any other suggestions worth considering?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    I have disband all but one colour on the right, disband all colours on the left. Up is Oatchi commands and down is pack. I was planning on putting spicy spray on the L-stick but ended up leaving it blank because I sometimes click it by accident when I'm panicking.

I'm thinking the switch between Oatchi and myself on a button will be useful now. At first I didn't use it that much but lately I've been switching more and more. I still need both disband options available though. Maybe I'll put the pack on the L-stick and make switch the down button.

• Options
    Well snap, you can put more detailed actions on shortcuts like disband? That sounds handy. At the same time I really haven't had any reason to fiddle in the menu much. Disband is nice but it comes up so rarely I don't need it as a shortcut. Other than a few bombs on walls, I have not touched items at all. Honestly, I just have down as the drone, and up is the gadget that calls all idle pikmin to your spot.

• Options
    Shortcuts are the come to me whistle, disband, switch characters, oatchi commands, and the Drone on left click; that inherently pauses time so there's no real risk to having it there. Ultra spicy spray might replace oatchi commands since if I'm going into a menu anyway it doesn't save as much.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    My shortcut is commandeering the P1 controller from my son before we wind up falling off a ledge before pushing the popcorn bag ramp down it, again.

• Options

Having just watched the intro, I'm not sure how I feel about this either.

"What if you just failed to beat the previous game" is certainly a brave new direction

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Beat the game tonight, kinda? There were credits that played... Haha.. that said, I've 100%'d the first four areas and gotten platinum on all Dandori battles thus far. Woooo! :D Lots more stuff to do though that seems to unlock after the credits.

And yes, this kinda pisses me off. I'm still hoping for some kind of weird multiverse thing at least (but so far no sign of this). But I can confirm they have 100% retconned Pikmin 1 beyond any doubt at this point
    (There's literally an Olimar Mission mode where you play "Retconned Pikmin 1" with Olimar crashing on an "unknown planet" for the first time and having to find his ship parts.)
    Not gonna lie, I blame Miyamoto for this shit. He loves to do this crap. This is why we can't have a Star Fox that isn't a remake of the first game over and over.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I only just realized that some caves spit you out in a different location. I know the very first cave does this, but the first few actual caves don’t. So I spent forever wondering how I got to location X earlier.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I entered the Kingdom of Beasts with 40 red pikmin. I left with...two. And that's after finding ten more inside. At least we cleared it! Your extremely preventable sacrifices were not completely in vain.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Playing deeper into the game, I'm starting to come around a little bit on Oatchi being a bit of a negative on the game design, although not a huge one, for two main reasons.

One, Oatchi turns most puzzles/complex setups from using Pikmin in specific ways to switching between Oatchi and the captain for grates/small ledges. With Oatchi immune to most all environmental hazards and able to pull an insane amount of weight, there's fewer situations you need to use your Pikmin in a clever way to grab treasure. Combine that with how most all floor hazards can be destroyed, and you never really get simple but clever stuff like "lift the giant treasure that's on a ledge with a ton of Yellow pikmin, then switch to Red pikmin to haul it back through the fire" or whatever, and just in general Oatchi eliminates the already-pretty-low risk of needing a safe runback path for Pikmin.

Two, Oatchi really trivializes a lot of encounter designs because of his charge + dumping all Pikmin at once. A lot of mid-tier or miniboss enemies feel like they're kind of balanced around either swarming them with a risky Pikmin charge for immediate damage or more safely throwing tons of Pikmin at them in exchange for your damage being limited and ramping up until the Pikmin get shaken off. An Oatchi charge, even without the upgrades, still gives you a better-than-typical charge by dumping all your Pikmin on the target at once, and does so directionally so you don't put anything in the path of an attack to do so. They definitely designed some enemies around this, needing to be thrown to inflict any damage or otherwise being resistant to charge, but then there's stuff like the first Empress Bulbax encounter, where you can either use your 10 rock Pikmin to slowly and safely kill her, more riskily try to throw or charge Red Pikmin at her to deal damage but risk being thrown into the crushing path... or you can Oatchi charge her face, safely dumping all your Pikmin there so there's almost no risk of them dying if it doesn't kill her before she can react, which it probably will. Lame! On the other hand, I do like being able to instantly explode the big crab guys because holy shit they're the most lethal thing in the game by far.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Sterica wrote: »
    I only just realized that some caves spit you out in a different location. I know the very first cave does this, but the first few actual caves don’t. So I spent forever wondering how I got to location X earlier.

Oh yeah, I sorta discovered this through trial and error. I saw there was an area that I could not get to at all based on the map (like I saw zero path up to it) but that there was a cave entrance there, so I kinda guessed that this might be how you get there based on the one time the game already did this (thank god they at least show this is a thing, even if it's not super obvious). Tried it out and sure enough, spit me out in the new location. Do wish the game would distinguish these caves a bit better - like, different color lid or a symbol on the lid or something to let you know two of them are connected.

As for Oatchi, I honestly really like him. He works as a second captain (and while I miss the third it really isn't needed) but can also double as a Pikmin in a pinch (really he's a second captain that can actually be USEFUL in situations where you don't need a second captain... was replaying Pikmin 2 and some days were literally "Hey Louie, go stand by the berry flowers while Olimar does everything else"). Yeah he does make some things easier but I think they compensate for that by limiting your total number of Pikmin initially. Where I think he really shines are the Dandori battles and also the Night Missions. Basically the Pikmin 4 new(ish) features feel very designed around him (the Dandori battles aren't really new but they aren't side modes this time). I like that he's sort of a captain you can give a few basic orders to that he can do on his own (like "hey there are a couple rando pikmin scattered around the map - go collect them for me while I do this important thing that actually matters" kind of stuff). The rush is really powerful but it doesn't feel much stronger than just telling your Pikmin individually to rush a target outside of the bit of damage Oatchi himself does (and the slightly higher position is sometimes more advantageous than attacking stuff at the legs).

Honestly if you want to talk OP, it's an item you get a little later on that's nuts useful.
    The Homesick Alarm or whatever they call it that literally calls EVERY IDLE PIKMIN ON THE MAP to come back to base. That thing is crazy stronk.

Warlock82 on