As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pikmin] Once again, it's time to pillage PNF-404!

13»

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Checking the internet, pretty sure throwing Pikmin was "random", or rather Olimar grabbed whoever was closest, and then you charged his throw by holding A to ensure you threw more of the same colour.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    This is a very generous length for a Pikmin game.
    I was expecting a post credit area but a second full size one was a surprise.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Digital Foundry did a tech review of Pikmin 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iz5uliQN3M

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Sounds like they've got a mental dandori issue imo

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I've pretty much 100%'d this game at this point. Beat all the extra missions and stuff, everything platinum. Not really much else to do other than I *could* finish up one quest chain for materials I don't actually need :/
    The one to kill stuff for Louie
    I did like half of it. I assume there's one mission per stage based on how it has gone so far.

Gonna be honest tho, a little disappointed there is no apparent reward for platinum-ing everything. Like, give me a little badge on the title screen or something :P I dunno.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I've pretty much 100%'d this game at this point. Beat all the extra missions and stuff, everything platinum. Not really much else to do other than I *could* finish up one quest chain for materials I don't actually need :/
    I did like half of it. I assume there's one mission per stage based on how it has gone so far.

Gonna be honest tho, a little disappointed there is no apparent reward for platinum-ing everything. Like, give me a little badge on the title screen or something :P I dunno.

There is a "reward" for the quest chain you mentioned.
    Your character can now lift and carry things. With the strength of 1 pikmin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwAHURPQ-s

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I tried out the demo. At one point I went back for a bit to pick up one minor thing, and ended up just missing out on opening up a shortcut right as the day ended.

Yeah, I think I'm skipping this one as well. These games are just torture for someone like me.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I can't find my Pikmin 3 Deluxe case. I got the game still.

Maybe I was not thinking and threw it in the trash.

I bought a replacement case on eBay. I will stick it on a shelf when it comes in.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I tried out the demo. At one point I went back for a bit to pick up one minor thing, and ended up just missing out on opening up a shortcut right as the day ended.

Yeah, I think I'm skipping this one as well. These games are just torture for someone like me.

If it makes you feel any better there’s no overarching time limit this time around, you won’t get a game over for roaming too long to complete things. Although that said there are plenty of timed battles and challenges where you have to complete a series of tasks in a fairly tight time limit, graded from bronze through platinum for your performance, so if that’s the kind of thing you’d get hung up on then probably best to give the game a miss.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I’m possibly learning the value of ‘less is more’ here.

Every other Pikmin game has left me satisfied but wanting more. This one has gone on to the point where I’m getting toward balancing wanting it to be over with so I can do something else with wanting to finish everything.

Your mileage may vary, but I think I preferred the former.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    That was Pikmin 2 for me.
    Pikmin 4 seems to have learned from Pikmin 2's mistakes and kept the number of overlong caves to a minimum.
    I was disappointed by the amount of duplicate treasure in this one though.

Anyway, I have one combat mission to Platinum left, and I've enjoyed my time here.

.. and we've just discovered that you can horribly murder the monsters in the piklopedia

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Huh, there's a port of Pikmin 1 and 2 coming to the Switch next month. Too bad fall is so packed with stuff.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Huh, there's a port of Pikmin 1 and 2 coming to the Switch next month. Too bad fall is so packed with stuff.
    Next month? They're out now. (at least in Europe, maybe it's different in the US?)

I've been playing through them, and if I'd started the series with Pikmin 1 I doubt I'd ever have tried the later ones.
    The controls and AI were so bad, it's hard to play it after they fixed so many of those things with 3.
    I'm working my way through 2 at the moment.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Next month? They're out now. (at least in Europe, maybe it's different in the US?)

I've been playing through them, and if I'd started the series with Pikmin 1 I doubt I'd ever have tried the later ones.
    The controls and AI were so bad, it's hard to play it after they fixed so many of those things with 3.
    I'm working my way through 2 at the moment.

Skeith probably saw the release date for the physical edition, which is indeed next month.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Warlock82 wrote: »

There is a "reward" for the quest chain you mentioned.
    Your character can now lift and carry things. With the strength of 1 pikmin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwAHURPQ-s

I ended up getting this. Turns out I only had two more to do :3 (man that last cave is pretty interesting when you give zero shits about most of the floors) Now I'm kind of 100% done with this game. Outside of the two repeatable missions there's nothing really left to do (if I was bored I guess I could try to get 999 of each Pikmin color or something - lol). I'm really hoping they do some DLC for this, I actually would love to play more. It's funny, the one time I'd actually really be interested in a challenge mode and this game doesn't have one - it's all part of the main story.

I might have to go back to the older games and complete those. I was playing Pikmin 2 a bit before 4 came out but only a handful of days into it. And I beat 3 Deluxe before that even but never did get around to doing the Olimar missions. I should probably clean all that up at some point... on top of the bazillion other things I have to play T_T

Edit: Was in the mood so I booted up Pikmin 3 Deluxe to do the side missions. First set was laughably easy. Pikmin 4 has trained up my dandori skills :3 Second batch (the stuff added for the Switch port) felt more in line with Pikmin 4 difficulty, minus, you know, the good AI and controls :P Got to Day 6 on those I think? A lot harder tho (at least to Platinum). Also very much made me appreciate Pikmin 4's improvements. Can't say how many times I sent Pikmin to get stuff and then found out they only got like half the nuggets or something dumb and I lost platinum because I didn't realize.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Recently finished my time with Pikmin 4 a few days ago. Solid fun, though I agree with some of the minor sentiment that it might have a little too much content?
    Metric-wise, I finished the first four maps at 100% in about 22.5 hours and all maps at about 40 hours. I don't mind that the game was on the easier side, as it helped to feed my sense of accomplishment. I was able to get Platinum medals on most of the content except for the last few Battles, Challenges, and most of the Sage Leaf Trials. Also completed Olimar's Shipwreck Tale in 12 days. But I could tell that my attention was starting to fade around the Primordial Thicket. I'm very surprised at how much content was in the game, and that's mostly a good thing with how well it was executed.

Even so, I still got a ton of fun growing Pikmin and setting them to tasks to collect everything that wasn't nailed down. The campaign's length makes me feel like I won't revisit it right away for a faster completion like I did Pikmin 3 (which is the only other Pikmin game I've played), but I wouldn't mind more additions in both the Dandori Battle and Dandori Challenges down the line, though. Having smaller-sized optimization challenges makes it a little easier to feed that Dandori / optimization mindset compared to trying to go through the full game.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I completed Olimar's in 8 days

I think my main complaint is that one of the later stages had too many one-way shortcuts, so you had to maze your way behind the shortcuts before you could open up the map.
    And that was a bit tedious.

I much prefer maps where the onion is central, and you explore areas branching off it (with shortcuts back after completion potentially).

Also I kept accidentally ditching all my bomb rocks.
    The game needed to switch the Pikmin icon for a bomb rock, or just a larger indication so I wouldn't keep hitting A by mistake.
    Took me an extra day to compete an area because I didn't have enough bombs available.

discrider on
  • Options
    I've also managed to not build something somewhere.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I completed Shipwreck in 13 days. I feel like you’re punished for
    staying in the first map instead of going to Arcadia for Moss, which dramatically slows you down.

I also thought the upgrades were a choice for the entire run. Whoops.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    OK, Pikmin 4 virtually 100% complete. I say virtually, because I got did everything except getting Platinum medals in a few Dandori levels and
    each of 10 levels of the cave where you get the White and Purple onions.

Man, what an awesome game. Lots of extra content than I original thought there would be. I'd love Pikmin 5 to go the BotW route and make a massive overworld where I can collect all sorts of shit. Just...go ham.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I’m possibly learning the value of ‘less is more’ here.

Every other Pikmin game has left me satisfied but wanting more. This one has gone on to the point where I’m getting toward balancing wanting it to be over with so I can do something else with wanting to finish everything.

Your mileage may vary, but I think I preferred the former.
    I'm the exact opposite.

I feel like I never got my fill with Pikmin 1 and 3. Pikmin 2 was one of my favorite games of all time so I'm ridiculously hyped to get to 4.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    On that..
    I still have no idea what the Pikmin 3 achievement about photographing runes is meant to be about.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    On that..
    I still have no idea what the Pikmin 3 achievement about photographing runes is meant to be about.

I don't know specifically since I never bothered with the camera in that game, but I know Pikmin 3 had special thingys you could photograph for an achievement of some kind. I think it was one of those "there's one per level" kind of deals. That's probably what this is? (I'd look it up but too lazy :3) I never did it so I can't say what exactly they are, but I wanna say they were supposed to stand out in some way. Maybe they have weird writing on them or something if it's "runes"

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    There were some hidden numbers around the maps, I think you could enter them somewhere online to get some Olimar videos. Since the site was long gone by the time Deluxe came out, they just put the videos in the Olimar's side-story that they added.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    There were some hidden numbers around the maps, I think you could enter them somewhere online to get some Olimar videos. Since the site was long gone by the time Deluxe came out, they just put the videos in the Olimar's side-story that they added.

I think that's something different? I believe this one is specifically involving using the camera on specific things.